Start by marking “Doctor in Petticoats (Sophie's Daughters, #1)” as Want to Read:
Doctor in Petticoats (Sophie's Daughters, #1)

Doctor in Petticoats (Sophie's Daughters #1)

4.25  ·  Rating Details ·  1,733 Ratings  ·  132 Reviews
Beth and Alex survive a stage coach accident. Beth realizes the derelict in the stagecoach with her is a doctor and she forces him to help tend the injured. Alex finds he can care for the patients as long as Beth is right beside him... yelling at him.

Alex saves Beth's sister’s life, but he only has the courage to treat patients as long as Beth is there. The one way to keep
Published July 1st 2010 by Barbour Books (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Doctor in Petticoats, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Doctor in Petticoats

Casey
Jul 29, 2010 Casey rated it it was amazing
There are just some books that take you by surprise and draw you into the story with a stranglehold that refuses to be released.

I loved the sheer absurdity of the characters, some of the stuff that Beth did was just off the wall, but it was set up in a way that makes perfect sense. The writing is funny and ridiculous—in a good way. Once you really enter the story, you get the entire feel of being in the character’s world.

Not many books can make me feel the agony as a character dangles over a cli
Molly (Cafinated Reads)
Nov 01, 2010 Molly (Cafinated Reads) rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Molly (Cafinated Reads) by: Barbour Books
Mary Connealy's new series, Sophie's Daughters, is E-X-C-E-L-L-E-N-T! I loved EVERYTHING about this book, from Mary's seasoned writing to the plot to sweet Sophie herself. There was no way I was putting this book down once I got started. WOWEE!

Doctor in Petticoats is Beth McClellan's story and oh boy! What a story this spunky one has. All she wants to be is a doctor....that is until she meets a broken, crazy lunatic by the name of Alex Buchanan. Both these fabulous characters wormed their way i
Amanda
Feb 05, 2011 Amanda rated it it was amazing
“Doctor in Petticoats” is my first Mary Connealy book but I guarantee it won’t be my last! She has created a special place in my heart for romantic comedy AND cowboys that I fear only she can fill! However, amidst all the laughs and quick wit, there is depth to her writing that moves you and reaches past the funny bone to touch the heart.

Meeting the McClellen family makes you instantly wish you were a part of it. I found them to be a strong, courageous, loving, selfless lot, starting with probab
Jenn
Dec 11, 2013 Jenn rated it really liked it
Shelves: clean
If you are going to read Mary Connealy I suggest doing so in this order: Lassoed in Texas trilogy, the Montana Marriages , then Sophie's Daughters. The reason being that she brings characters from different series together sometimes. But you don't have to. And obviously I liked this book based on the 4 stars. :)
Angie Lippard
Aug 18, 2010 Angie Lippard rated it liked it
n writing a book review, I am trying to share with you what I like and don't like about a particular book. I am trying to save you time by giving you the gist of the book without revealing the story. I have 4 "do's" and 1 "don't" when I write a review.

1) Tell me how hot the romance is between the two characters.
2) If it is a series, let me know which book I need to read first in order to understand this book (or) is there a book in the series better than this one.
3) How good is it compared to ot
Elentarien
Mar 06, 2011 Elentarien rated it liked it
All in all I enjoyed this one. It was a light-hearted story (mostly). It was fast paced and action packed, and did not really give the reader a chance to be bored.

I did have a few complaints with it, however.

Given the title, I expected a story about a woman doctor. Instead, she had 'medical training', but was not much more than a nurse and not once was she allowed to practice without the aid of a real doctor - and a man - in the vicinity. Rather disappointing, given the expectations of reading
Deana
Sep 20, 2010 Deana rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Deana by: Deanawat@comcast.net
Shelves: review-done
You know how when a good book ends, you're a bit miffed that it ended when it did? Or you just wanted to know a bit more about these people's lives before it ends? Or 'So where did they end up living'? Well, that seems to be the feeling I get with every book I've read of Mary's! So darn frustrating that the story ends at all, never mind where it ends. I know every character in Mary's books as if they're my neighbors. Beth McClellan is a character close to my heart as I'm the only one in my ...more
Renee
Jul 29, 2010 Renee rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Renee by: by reading the author's other works
Mary Connealy's books are always a riot and Doctor in Petticoats is no exception. As a fan of the slightly unbelievable, cowboys and feisty heroines, for me, Ms. Connealy's books are must reads. I really loved this book!

If you know anything at all about Mary's previous series, Lassoed in Texas you know that Beth McClellan the main character in Doctor in Petticoats comes by her sassiness and strength honestly. Beth and her brand new, virtual stranger to her husband, Alex make a terrific team. I l
Lydia (Overweight Bookshelf)
Oct 21, 2010 Lydia (Overweight Bookshelf) rated it it was amazing
First reviewed here: www.overweight-bookshelf.blogspot.com

In this first installment of the new series Sophie's Daughters, Mary Connealy brings back the beloved McClellan family who are a little older, a little wiser, but just as hilarious as they were in Petticoat Ranch. I think Mary Connealy is probably the most creative writer of impromptu weddings and flawed heroes and heroines that I have ever come across. This book begins with an out-of-control stage coach and the momentum from that scene c
Abbie
Beth is heading home to Texas for her sisters wedding. She has been away at school training to be a nurse(though she wants to be a Doctor!). She ends up across from Alex on a stagecoach. She soon finders herself saving the day with Alex’s help. Alex served as a doctor in the Army but after a horrible battle he ran and has been running for years. He can’t get the horrible images out of his head but with Beth by his side he finds himself able to Doctor again. Will these two find love or will Alex ...more
Joy
Jan 22, 2011 Joy rated it it was amazing
I dare you to read the first two chapters of Doctor in Petticoats without chuckling, but if you're like me, you'll laugh out loud. Mary Connealy is known for writing romantic comedies set in the Old West, and Doctor in Petticoats might be her funniest yet.

This novel follows the lives of Beth and Mandy McClellan, who we first met as children in the novel Petticoat Ranch. Beth and Mandy have grown up and married, and their parents are less than enthusiastic about either of their husbands. The men
June
Jan 18, 2015 June rated it it was amazing
Just finished reading "Doctor in Petticoats" with the boys. This one took us longer with missed reading nights during winter break and such. This is my second time reading it and it's been so much more fun reading the books without the long wait for the next one to come out. It's been easier to remember the story and keep everyone straight. This is the first of the Sophie's daughters series, being about Beth and Alex, both doctors. One willingly, the other not so much. We've also reconnected ...more
SheLove2Read
Jan 04, 2011 SheLove2Read rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011
I simply love Mary Connealy books. She is an auto buy author for me and this book is no exception to the rule: fabulous, fun read.

If you've read her previous books, the heroine in this book - Beth - is the daughter of Sophie and Clay from Petticoat Ranch. In fact, the whole family is back and it was great to revisit with them. The story itself was solid and interesting and I had a hard time putting it down. Looking forward to reading more in this new series!

Kate
May 24, 2016 Kate rated it really liked it
As with the other Mary Connealy books I've read, this was one that grabbed me from the get-go and wouldn't let go until the end. I wasn't quite sure what would end up happening with Alex and Beth, but I like that the author kept me guessing.
I also like that we saw into Mandy's life with Sidney, and how characters I knew from the "Montana Marriages" series also made an appearance. Definitely intrigued by what is going on with that part of the story.
Leah
Oh.My.Gosh!!!!
I LOVED THIS BOOK!
It was so funny,and sweet, and sad....
I loved the last chapter!
I'm super excited to read the next two!!!
Erica Vetsch
Jun 24, 2011 Erica Vetsch rated it it was amazing
My favorite of all the books Mary has written. And that's saying something, because I LOVED Calico Canyon!
Katelyn
Sep 29, 2012 Katelyn rated it it was amazing
Funny and sweet. A must-read for all Western Romance lovers.
puppitypup
Feb 18, 2015 puppitypup rated it liked it
Christian Romance. Read earlier this year. Enjoyable read, not memorable.
Luvmyfamily
Feb 13, 2015 Luvmyfamily rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Nope. Can't do it. This book is just too silly.
Rachel Brand
Edit on 14th March 2011: On second thoughts, I'm bumping this from 8/10 to 9/10. Thinking about this book, I did truly enjoy it and can only really recall a couple of tiny, minor faults about it.

---

Heading home to Texas for her sister's wedding, Beth is less than pleased to be sharing her stagecoach with a drunken vagrant. But when they come across another stagecoach that's been involved in an accident, trainee-nurse Beth knows that she needs all the help that she can get. Yet no one is more sur
Mariah H
Oct 07, 2016 Mariah H rated it it was amazing
Fv
Jul 20, 2014 Fv rated it did not like it
The author has an issue with picking and choosing what Bible commands she wants to obey herself. As per her writings.

First of all Psalms is clear about violence. The her books were movie rated, they would be rated R, ones I avoid because of the violence in them. (Psalm 11:5) . . .God examines the righteous one as well as the wicked one; He hates anyone who loves violence. . .

And how we all are to put on a personality like Jesus Christ. (Ephesians 4:22-24) . . .You were taught to put away the ol
Brandi
Jun 09, 2014 Brandi rated it it was amazing
Doctor in Petticoats - Mary Connealy
(*SPOILER ALERT!!!*)
What in the world is up with idiot Sidney? Does that mean what he said was true? Or was he lying? And Mandy's staying with him? What about handsome Tom Lanscott? I'm confused. Though I suppose I'll eventually find out everything. When I'm finished the whole series.
I'll just say one thing (well, actually, I'm gonna say quite a bit more than just one thing, but these are just my thoughts on puny Sid): I do not like Sidney Gray. At all. He's s
Tamara Tilley
Jan 23, 2016 Tamara Tilley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mary-connealy, own
Mary Connealy’s latest, DOCTOR IN PETTICOATS, the first in the Sophie’s Daughters series is pure Mary Connealy. Great characters, unique circumstances, and always leaving the reader wanting more. I’m already poised to purchase SHARPSHOOTER IN PETTICOATS coming out next month.

Beth McCellen races home from her time in medical school to witness her sister, Mandy’s wedding. Instead, she finds herself stranded after a stage accident with an incapacitated man. She is shocked to find out he is a doctor
Melissa
Oct 11, 2011 Melissa rated it really liked it
This book is the first in a series called Sophie's daughters. Its based off of characters in a previous series known as Lassoed in Texas but its not really necessary to read that series first. I had actually gone backwards in this particular series but I was very relieved to find out that this first book is much better than the other two in the series.

Beth has been East receiving medical training and now is on her way home to become a doctor of sorts to her town. With her on the stagecoach is a
Janine
“Doctor in Petticoats” by Mary Connealy is the first book of her Sophie's Daughters series that has characters from both Lassoed in Texas and Montana Marriages series. So yes it is the final series in her trilogy series, but at the same time the first time I read Ms. Connealy books I started out with this book not knowing about the earlier books, and I wasn't lost at all with reading the book and never once felt lost or uncertain about what was going on.

With this books we see the McClellan clan,
Brenda
Jan 09, 2011 Brenda rated it it was amazing
This book starts out fast, just like a runaway stagecoach, and doesn't slow down until the end!

Beth McClellan is on her way home to see her sister Mandy marry, she has been away from home studying to be a nurse, She is headed home on a stagecoach, and one of the passengers is a stinky man that she assumes is a drunk. When they happen upon an accident where there are injured people Beth demands that the drunk help her, boy is she surprised when it turns out he "Alex" is a doctor.

Alex Buchanan is
Chelsea
Jun 24, 2010 Chelsea rated it it was amazing
When Beth McCellen first meets Alex Buchanan, it is anything but love at first sight. The two of them narrowly escape a coach accident, and while helping those who were injured, realize they are both doctors. As important saving people is to Beth, she knows this means she will miss seeing her sister Mandy off with her new husband, Sidney. Mandy, meanwhile, does not take long to discover her married life is not exactly what she thought it would be. With the aid of Belle Harding (familiar, ...more
Margaret Chind
Aug 03, 2010 Margaret Chind rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Margaret by: CBD
Every time I finish reading a new book from Mary Connealy I am astonished at how well I have been entertained. I giggled, I cried and I had a desire to throw the book across the room in response to the "bad guys". Doctor in Petticoats is no different on that line of thinking. I was not disappointed and nor will any reader of Mary Connealy be unhappy with this novel.

This is the first book in the Sophie's Daughter series, it comes after Lassoed in Texas series and the Montana Marriages Trilogy. W
Tina Pinson
Aug 06, 2010 Tina Pinson rated it really liked it
Have no fear the Doctor in Petticoats is in... yes, I had to say it...

I enjoyed this book. Doctor in Petticoats is the first in the Sophie's Daughters Series. With the swipe of her pen, Mary Connealy has produced the rememdy for those of us who want our heroines strong, independent, fearless and sassy. The Doc in Petticoats, Beth McClellan is all those rolled in one, like those who came before her. She is her mama's daughter.

Our anguished hero, Alexander Buchanan, seems no match for the spitfi
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Dec 16, 2014 10:13AM
  • Rugged and Relentless (Husbands for Hire, #1)
  • Second Chance Brides (Texas Boardinghouse Brides, #2)
  • Serendipity (Only in Gooding, #5)
  • Head in the Clouds
  • Within My Heart (Timber Ridge Reflections, #3)
  • A Vision of Lucy (A Rocky Creek Romance, #3)
  • Walker's Wedding (The Western Sky Series, #3)
  • The Unlikely Wife (Bowen, #2)
I wrote my first book when I was about twelve. A romance novel. I shudder to think what a twelve year old could know about romance. I have no idea what happened to the manuscript. I suppose my mother found it, and burned it while screaming in horror, but I’ve always been afraid to ask. Was it a hundred pages? Two? I have no idea, but I seem to remember just writing FOREVER! So I’m guessing two ...more
More about Mary Connealy...

Sophie's Daughters (3 books)
  • Wrangler in Petticoats (Sophie's Daughters, #2)
  • Sharpshooter in Petticoats (Sophie's Daughters, #3)

“The decent, strong person had to do decent, strong things like love unlovable people and keep peace even when it wasn't easy.” 35 likes
“The man was a lunatic who somehow could tap into sanity when he looked her in the eye. What did that man make her? A human straightjacket?” 17 likes