Start by marking “When the Bluebird Calls (Heart of the Mountain, #1)” as Want to Read:
When the Bluebird Calls (Heart of the Mountain, #1)
read ebook

When the Bluebird Calls (Heart of the Mountain #1)

3.47 of 5 stars 3.47  ·  rating details  ·  343 ratings  ·  32 reviews
Devon Reid, veterinarian, had a partner of 2 years, a beautiful house, and a fantastic job. Then, life as he knew it, changed.

Six months ago, he became his mother's sole caretaker when her cancer returned. With his constant absence from home, his relationship ends leaving him alone in one of the most emotionally draining points in his life. When his mother passes, he is lo
Published February 6th 2010 by Silver Publishing (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about When the Bluebird Calls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When the Bluebird Calls

Cut & Run by Madeleine UrbanFaith & Fidelity by Tere MichaelsPromises by Marie SextonA Matter of Time by Mary CalmesFatal Shadows by Josh Lanyon
M/M Romance Series
196th out of 384 books — 357 voters
Hairy Harry's Car Seat by Sue  BrownOnce Upon a Veterinarian by Drew ZacharyBlind Faith by N.R. WalkerA Shared Range by Andrew  GreyUnacceptable Risk by Kaje Harper
Gay Romance Featuring Veterinarians
8th out of 50 books — 11 voters

More lists with this book...

Betryal
Great start to this story! This author is new to the scene from what I can tell since he only has a short list of books out, but what a way to start off. I'll admit yeah I found the story short but some stories are just meant to be that, short, without ruining a good thing. It's a love story with the added bit of drama, but again I reserve the right to judge this one for others and this is my opinion alone.

Well done Leiland and might I add a short footnote that I'd like to read about Jasper next
Macky ~ Sinfully Sexy Book Reviews
3.25*
Having just a read a really great Cowboy romance I was in the mood for another so when I saw the cover and read the blurb I thought I'd give this a try. Overall it was enjoyable but it didn't blow me away. That's not too say it wasn't a sweet romantic story, it was. Devon and Greg have a great chemistry going on and the love scenes are quite hot but it is very lightweight and everything happens very quickly and is resolved very quickly. This is insta love of the ' falling for each other in
Lily

Overall this was a nice story from a new to me author. Well written and entertaining, it's a light easy read with a HEA ending. The tone of the story is romantic and sweet and the protagonists engaging enough to keep me interested throughout. I enjoyed this story and look forward to the next book in the series.

My complete review is posted at Rainbow Reviews.
Elisa Rolle
Even before Brokeback Mountain, people have always had a soft spot for the Western Romance. It’s something typical of the western culture, in Europe and in other places all around the world, there aren’t real cowboys, that is something typical of the United States. Western Romances, the contemporary genre, have something in common: the genuineness of the characters; they can be happy, they can be sad, they can be gay friendly or homophobic, but, above all, they are bounded with a double knot to ...more
Jeff Erno
Leiland Dale has a gift when it comes to delivering poignant one-liners. One example is listed above in his blurb… “What’s a city boy to do when a small town cowboy ropes him in?” You’ll find numerous such morsels within his writing, but my all-time favorite is this one: “When a man comes along and looks at you as if you are his world…then you know you’ve found the one.” This is the deathbed advice that central character Devon receives from his dying mother in When the Bluebird Calls.

The love st
Kassa

When the Bluebird Calls shows that sometimes simplistic writing and basic emotions win over readers. This is the first book I’ve read of this author and it’s decent. There are no real surprises and the characters are pretty basic stereotypes in every way but the story offers a sweet, caring romance with a strong happy ending in a cowboy setting that is sure to please fans. This is the sort of easy, undemanding story that satisfies even though it’s not that good. It’s not bad though eith
S.L.
Kathy
4½ stars - Leiland Dale is a new-to-me author whose writing really appeals to me. His stories aren’t too long, but he gets the reader involved with the characters from the beginning. And he manages to infuse into each story an external conflict that threatens both life and love. When a Bluebird Calls also has a hint of mysticism, and I really love this element.

This is a sweet and yet very sexy story, and it rocks as a romance. Devon’s decision to leave the life that brings him no joy and head
Erotic Horizon
When a romances goes badly for veterinarian Devon Reid as well as the death of his mother - he gives himself no time for second thoughts, he sells up his home and business and moves all the way to Bridger, a ranching small town in Montana ....

There he meets foreman Greg Elliot and the rest is history as they say. The book does not veer far from the blub, so I will just give my thoughts on it.

WHEN THE BLUEBIRD CALLS was an easy read for me as this is a plot that generally works for me. I love boo
Janelle
This is a sweet story. Good start to the series and I am looking forward to reading more by Leiland Dale.
Amber
Ok, there is nothing wrong with this book but it is very predictable. (view spoiler) ...more
Sadonna
I bought this book quite a few months ago and I just now got around to reading it. I really enjoyed the story of Devon and Greg. Devon is a veterinarian who moves from the city to a small town after the death of his mother who he has cared for during her final battle with cancer. His partner of two years cannot handle the situation and has left him. Devon can't bear the memories of the place so he buys a practice of a retiring vet in a small town that is gay-friendly. As he is settling in to his ...more
Pam
This is the first release by this author. I enjoyed the story between these two men and the poignant loss of Devon's mother at the beginning was a good reason for him to the move across country. Greg...ranch foreman hero is a typical good buy in need of a partner and lightning stuck on his first seeing Devon. The building of their relationship over the birth of a foal and later at a carnival was sweet.

The villain coming in at the end was rather obvious and the police determining his guilt took
Honey
This was much better than my first couple of attempts at reading - and enjoying - Leiland Dale’s books. The writing was a lot smoother in this one, which was my main complaint about the first book in the Ancient Prophecy series and it was a very easy, flowing romance with an old feel to it. It wasn’t angsty and when obstacles appeared - a little out of left field - they didn’t affect Greg and Devon’s budding relationship, they actually served to push them closer together. It was nice to read abo ...more
Mickelange
Good book, but a little too naive.
T.
I really enjoyed this one, it was very sweet. I had never read Mr. Dale's work before and since this is the first book of the series Heart of the Mountain I decided to start with this one. Devon was a good guy and Greg was a great foil for him. I can't wait to read the next ones in this series since some of the characters we met in this one, albeit briefly, look like they will make great heroes in the next books... and, quite frankly, I want to learn more about Seth.

This is a very romantic stor
Charlie Richards
I really enjoy 'love at first sight' stories, and this one is just that. This very sweet tale explores how one man can help another overcome the baggage left by an ex, and in return, the man finds closure of his own. Devon's character is sweet. I love his big heart as he helps the animals in his care. Greg is kind and thoughtful. His insecurity as he pursues Devon is charming. I ran across a few typos, but it didn't detract from the overall enjoyment. This heart-warming tale is a great read.
Indie Reviews

When The Bluebird Calls is Leiland Dale's first book in the Heart of the Mountain series. It is a sweet and romantic story of promising love at first sight that takes the reader on an enjoyable and relatively carefree reading journey.

Read the complete review of When The Bluebird Calls by Leiland Dale at Indie Reviews.
Cheryl
A short story that would of been better if it was longer. I felt that everything happened too fast. I would of liked to get to know the mc's better. The ex was a dirt bag. I didn't care for the sex first then get to know each other date after. But it is a story that says you can find love without looking for it.
Maya
I always hated cowboy stories when they involved F/M romances, and yet I find them fascinating when they involve M/M romances. This story was sweet and well written although it would have been perfect if it was a little bit longer.
Madeleine

I'm a sucker for cowboy manlove, but this is poorly written, unfortunately. Names and words repeat too often, mispelled names, wrong grammar. Sigh! And the whole jealous rage thing felt riddicilous.
adrienne
not sure about this one so far. the writing is a bit stilted and there's an odd detachment from the characters.
Stacey Morrison
I like this and also the next book, for a short story it was a nice bedtime read. Gotta love a COWBOY!
Aidee Ladnier
Devon and Greg's romance is told rather simply but is still effective. I enjoyed this story.
Teresa
Really enjoyed how the story unfolded. Looking forward to more from this author
Jennifer Wardrip
One of my least favorite m/m reads. Ridiculous in parts & not particularly well-written.
Gillian Oldham
Fantastic read. Look forward to reading the next one in the series.
Feb 03, 2010 Sarah marked it as to-read
I've been looking forward to this book!
Maya
2.5 Stars
  • Tyler's Cowboy (Cowboy Lovin' #1)
  • Through the Montana Mist (Saddle Up and Ride, #3)
  • Ride 'Em Cowboy (Ride 'Em, #1)
  • Good to Know (Good to Know, #1)
  • A Subtle Breeze (Southern Spirits, #1)
  • Last Call
  • Tail of Two Brothers (Horsfall, #1)
  • Duncan's World
  • Signed and Sealed
  • Calvin's Cowboy (Calvin's Cowboy #1)
  • Timing (Timing, #1)
  • Cowboy Keeper (Blaecleah Brothers, #2)
  • Luke (Sylvan, #2)
  • His Convenient Husband (Innamorati, #1)
  • To Love a Cowboy
  • Love Means... No Boundaries (Farm, #2)
  • Morning Report (Morning Report, #1)
  • Long Tall Drink
3252016
Leiland's reading list is exemplary of the evolution of erotic romance. Initially, Leiland began reading Harlequin Romance and Silhouette Desire but later transitioned to Silhouette Nocturne. But after reading the first M/M erotic romance, tons of M/M material soon followed. As an avid reader, Leiland decided one day to take a stab at writing a book. These days, when not writing something new, Lei ...more
More about Leiland Dale...
Brothers Without Borders (Unbreakable Bonds, #1) Sterling Gold (Unbreakable Bonds, #2) A Prophecy of Destiny (Ancient Prophecy, #1) A Loving Hart (Heart of the Mountain, #2) Savage Moon Rising (Ancient Prophecy, #2)