Start by marking “How to Analyze People on Sight” as Want to Read:
How to Analyze People on Sight

How to Analyze People on Sight

2.97 of 5 stars 2.97  ·  rating details  ·  397 ratings  ·  69 reviews
What Newspapers Have Said About Elsie Benedict and Her Work "Over fifty thousand people heard Elsie Lincoln Benedict at the City Auditorium during her six weeks lecture engagement in Milwaukee."-Milwaukee Leader, April 2, 1921. "Elsie Lincoln Benedict has a brilliant record. She is like a fresh breath of Colorado ozone. Her ideas are as stimulating as the health-giving bre ...more
Published 1921 by The Roycrofters

M Pogoy
The book is interesting and the author's five types of human beings in the world is worth to think over.

I've read some reviews about this book and some people think that the book is kind of racist and the author's "five types" forever and a day remained unproved theories. Well, I think otherwise.

Ms. Benedict's "Five Human Types" are, in my opinion, true. I believe that these five human types which are the alimentives (fat men), the thoracics (thrillers), the musculars (workers),the osseus (staye
Vanessa
I liked the book because it was funny.
Elsie Benedict did not write this book to be funny.

I thought that it was an interesting book, but the advice inside should not be taken seriously. Please, modern people, I beg you -- DON'T TAKE THIS BOOK SERIOUSLY!!

This book was racist, inaccurate, stereotypical, and one-sided.
This is NOT a scientific book.
These theories are biased and do NOT apply to all people.

Immediately after I read this book, I attempted to analyze people on the street.
Yes, I know
Pwilczewski
Randomly picked up this book because it was one of the most popular Kindle e-books. I have such mixed feelings about it. I thought a lot of it was either obvious, pointless or even offensive but there was one insight which made the whole book worth reading. When choosing a partner the most important thing is that the two of you agree how to spend your leisure time. Everything else is really secondary because many differences can be worked through. But fundamentally if two people can't have fun t ...more
Heather
The only real purpose I can see for this book is historical, as a look into the thoughts and attitudes of people in the 1920's. Did people really believe this was real science when this came out? I've seen recent reviews from people on Amazon who gave this book a high rating and thought the methods described would be helpful for analyzing people. Kind of scary. The theories, to me, seem to be complete nonsense, made up of outdated (by a century) stereotypes.
Kat
The best book no one has ever heard of! Can you really determine a person's whole character by the shape of his or her hands, or face? Elsie says you can and I believe her, because the measurements she gives for deciding each person have been so scarily accurate, I almost don't believe it. I found this book on gutenberg.org and downloaded it to Plucker, there is also a text version with drawings. A really interesting find!
Zee
Quite funny actually. Especially the bit about 'fat people' - how they make a 'beeline' for the widest chair and how the 'fat man' is predominantly seen in the Jewish faith (!!!). One gripe though: Ms. Elsie Benedict seemed to have overlooked MY type. I feel very left out! lol.

That aside, I think it's quite extraordinary that people flocked to universities to hear this lady talk about how your body shape determines your personality. Thoroughly amusing, if not slightly racist with comments that
James Cameron
This book has some sort of logic but the time period puts the accuracy of this book in question. Race is mentioned as a way of reading people. The problem with the book using race, was that it uses as race if it were biological. When in fact race is socially constructed, without there being any evidence for a genetic or biological connection besides skin color. She is correct saying that a person body does to adapt to what it thinks it needs, but there is a different from a way a body looks by n ...more
Kevin
Utter garbage. I can't really mark this as 'read' because in no way did I finish it. It's terrible fluff, padded with needless "examples" of the (supposed) true types of people. Don't bother.
Dani
I liked this book. I like ideas that tackle one of the most important things in life, out how to deal with others. Stereotypes based on physical characteristics are probably as accurate as astrology or birth order, so take with a pound of salt, but there is some truth to this book. Look at characters in books and film and one will see that physical characteristics are as much a part of the character as their costumes are. Stereotypes exist for reasons, the chief one being that most people we enc ...more
Jey
This book have more haters than lovers, perhaps people hate to be identified in certain patterns, behavioral or physical ones. The book allows you to understand yourself, your nature, as a social human being, and your environment. The author of the book divided people into certain categories based on their physical appearance and connected it to habits and behaviors. According to some people, it seems absurd to judge the book by its cover; however, is this case, the cover is your skin, fat, bone ...more
Billy
May 19, 2015 Billy added it
The theories and concepts in this book are interesting and have some merit but thats about where it ends. For those getting wound up and upset over the book being offensive, get a grip. It was written in a time where society and attitudes were vastly different to now. And its hardly offensive in any event. If you find it offesnive I suggest you take a look at yourself and ask when you became such a whinger and an annoyance to others. I found myself thinking when I read the book that quite litera ...more
Jen
How to Analyze People on Sight is psuedo-psychology from the early 1920s. I read this book as a curiosity, not because I think it's possible to tell everything about a person simply by knowing their body/frame shape. As a curiosity, it's an okay read.

The most interesting part for me were the final two chapters, "Types that should not marry" and "Vocations for each type. (Again, not because I actually believe the psuedo-psychology.) The authors present an interesting picture of divorce in the ea
Anthony M.
When I listen to uneducated people talk about societal problems, the tone is similar to that of this book. Want to get ideas for characters based on stereotypes, this book is for you. Want the truth about humans and human nature, watch out. The judgments and analyses are so naive you can do danger to yourself and others if you follow the ideas presented in this silly book. I gave it 2 stars instead of 1 because the literary value is good for basing characters off for writers.
Derek
Astoundingly difficult to read due to the book's format and the author's choice to deliver unrelated or repetitive "micro chunks" of information. This book is also highly unscientific, racist, and, among other things, unusually shallow. Should only be read as an object of studying quack science or for fun, not as a serious endeavour.
Shaikha Almusallam
there is a saying in the Arab that says " a book can be read from its cover" which means u can judge something based on the way it looks.

Basically this is what this book all about, judging people based on the way they look,Personally I don't believe in this and the book couldn't convince me otherwise .
Peggy Scripter
This book was written in 1921. As a result, it is quirky and outdated. Still, it is interesting to read about different body types having different qualities to their personalities, especially when you realize you have come to yourself. I quit reading a little more than halfway through.
Jeremy Stephens
Have you ever read a book that was full of hot air and gave very little information or advice? That's what this book seemed like to me. Overall, this seemed to be nothing more than a lot of short choppy musings that didn't seem to go any where. Reading this was a waste of time.
Ammon Hallsted
It's interesting material, but scientifically ridiculous. Even if she had sources to back up what she says, there's absolutely no way I'd believe them after reading this book. Most of it is just logical assumptions.
Alex Gerrish
Anyone who is reading this book with a strict interpretation will likely be disappointed if not outraged. This book comes from the era where Freud was still commonly accepted as the psychoanalytic benchmark of the social sciences, and should be taken with a grain (or pound) of salt.

That said, this book is fascinating both as a glimpse into the scientific attitudes of the time, and for garnering general principles of human behavior.

Remember that correlation does not prove causation, but can pro
Monique Maria
It's funny but if you look at it closely but People who complain about this book are the ones who cannot accept and do not like the type they are after they have learned which one they are. If you look at their comments carefully they don't state to why exactly it is a bad book and just goes off saying its racist or inaccurate without really having a strong standpoint. Also I would suggest comment readers to use what they have read into use and observer the people who are complaining and what ty ...more
Gracey
Very politically incorrect as it was written in the 20s but still very interesting!
Faiq Zaini
a step to understand people around in a better way..
JoAnne Isamuse
Never thought of myself as a "fatty" but apparently...
Pete Guion
Avoid at all costs.

If I could give this a lower rating, I would. This book is terrible. Not only is not what I was hoping for, its full of such terribly type-casting that I could not read it any more.

Okay, so what I was expecting was information on learning to read people's 'tells' - the way they tilt their head, how wide or closed their eyes are, where they look when thinking, how they use their hands, that kind of thing. Mannerisms learned or inherited that can help communicate to others what
Marta
I think the publishers of this book should be ashamed of themselves.
In short: this is the first time I am writing a review of a book and it is only because I actually gave this book a chance- based on rating. So I decided to help out..It is by far the worste crap that ever tricked me into reading 30 pages of it. A horrible waste of time and honestly I feel dirty having read even the first chapter.

In detail:
It is not scientifical and it is not even literature, the authors simply write judgements
Harryd
Entertaining Book from a time when speaking and writing plainly was a virtue. Surprisingly true on many levels, however there's always exceptions to the rules. To all those who doubt it's efficacy, I ask why would physical composition not govern our relationships and behaviors? I'm sure if Elsie and Ralph were around today they'd write an even more compelling version with the benefits of modern science at thier disposal.
Elsbeth Kwant
I chose this book because of it's high rating on Gutenberg - good fun, based on the supposition that much of one's character is based on which part of the body is most developed. For some, it's the alimentary system, for others lungs and breathing etc. Interesting way of looking at things...
Neill Tumulac
Written as though it's target audience were employers and seeking wives. It discusses 5 classes of men, and their behaviors, based entirely on their physical appearance. Although not terribly inaccurate, it is a little bit fortuitous.
Isabel
Unsure how to rate: as a historical document the book is quite valuable; as a scientific study worse than useless. From the first chapter the book demonstrates the pseudoscientific dogmas that backed racism, social darwinism, etc.
Lorri
Not very scientifically sound and is in fact politically incorrect. However, it's interesting to read this when reading classics as it gives you an idea regarding the stereotypes of the time.
Validity of information 1 10 Dec 10, 2011 05:28AM
  • Publish on Amazon Kindle with Kindle Direct Publishing
  • Know What You Don't Know: How Great Leaders Prevent Problems Before They Happen
  • Dream Psychology: Psychoanalysis for Beginners
  • Live Like You Mean It: The 10 Crucial Questions That Will Help You Clarify Your Purpose / Live Intentionally / Make the Most of the Rest of Your Life
  • Being Happy
  • Knots, Splices and Rope Work
  • In the Line of Fire: How to Handle Tough Questions When It Counts
  • How to Argue: Powerfully, Persuasively, Positively
  • CK-12 Advanced Probability and Statistics
  • Lies, Damned Lies, and Science: How to Sort through the Noise Around Global Warming, the Latest Health Claims, and Other Scientific Controversies
  • How to Speak and Write Correctly
  • Winners Never Cheat: Even in Difficult Times
  • Focus on the Good Stuff: The Power of Appreciation
  • Genghis Khan: Conqueror of the World
  • I Quit
  • Big Data Now: 2012 Edition
  • What's New in Java 7?
  • Building Data Science Teams
How to Analyze People on Sight Through the Science of Human Analysis- The Five Human Types - The Original Classic Edition How to Realize on Your Personality: Expressing and Capitalizing Your Own Personality V7 How to Utilize Your Mind Through the Science of Practical Psychology How To Analyze the People On Sight Through the Science of Human Analysis - The Five Human Types (Annotated) How To Analyze People On Sight (Illustrated Version)