Start by marking “What If?” as Want to Read:
What If?

What If?

3.05  ·  Rating Details  ·  278 Ratings  ·  58 Reviews
MULTIPLE STORIES. . . MULTIPLE STORIES. A story about choices from the "Queen of the
Concept Book."—The Horn Book

Published April 27th 2010 by Roaring Brook Press

To ask other readers questions about What If?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What If?

Kevin White
Jan 04, 2011 Kevin White rated it it was ok
I informed my students that I had some books to read for Cocky. I told my students that Cocky wanted to know what books he should read to boys and girls. The students were absolutely thrilled to be apart of this adventure. They were very involved and engaged in the books and in the discussions regardings the things they liked or disliked about each book.

The students loved the pictures in the book, What If?. Some students stated that they did not like that the book only said the words: what if?,
Karen
Aug 04, 2014 Karen rated it it was ok
My five-year-old son picked out this book from the library last week.

I usually like Laura Vaccaro Seeger's books -- very much -- but this one just didn't work for my son. He actually said it was boring. I think he would have preferred this either to have had a written out story, or to have been completely wordless; the in-between hybrid fell flat.

David
Nov 03, 2010 David rated it liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
WHAT IF a boy found a beach ball & kicked it into the ocean? WHAT IF two seals found it and began to play? WHAT IF a third seal appeared on the beach looking for a friend? In this spare & deceptively simple book, Laura Vaccaro Seeger shows us the same story with three different outcomes, each highlighting the possibility in possibilities. Youngest children will enjoy this visit to the beach & the chance to guess what happens when different choices are made. (Goodreads summary)

What If
Stephanie Skolmoski
Jul 25, 2014 Stephanie Skolmoski rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Laura Baccaro Seeger has captured the ability to imagine and tell your own story in this beautifully illustrated book. "What if" is merely the beginning of a fun story that children will tell themselves. Every time you open the book a different story will begin with "What if." The setting is on the beach with a beach ball and seals. What happens next is all up to the reader. This book is great for any age!
Jodie
An almost wordless story is told 3 times with 3 different scenarios playing out. They involve 3 seals and a ball. Readers will need to use the illustrations to figure out the story. Great for classrooms teaching about friendship and including others (recess for example).
Genee121
Jul 20, 2014 Genee121 rated it really liked it
“What If” written by Laura Vaccaro Seeger is an almost wordless story that is interactive with the reader. Rather than just using words, Seeger gives different scenarios of “What If” a boy found a beach ball and kicked it into the ocean? What if seals found the ball and begin to play with it? What if the beach ball was found somewhere other than where it is seen in the particular scenario? Instead of just giving the reader a story, the author give three different scenarios and a chance to guess ...more
Angie Quantrell
Apr 01, 2016 Angie Quantrell rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A very sparse tale with three different situations. What if a boy kicked a beach ball on the beach? And a seal finds it? Two and three seals find it? Interactive book with bold colors and opportunities for discussion.
Jess
Sep 25, 2011 Jess rated it liked it
Recommended to Jess by: Other Seeger books & reviews
Shelves: picture-books, z_11
Three options are presented via illustrations along with a few clue words.

This is the sort of book best used by a teacher/parents with a kid/class. I don't know that kids will like/get it otherwise. You could probably consider it a concept book, just not one about numbers or the alphabet.

Well reviewed and recommended in several places, but I don't know that it's as great as they said. For Seeger concept books, I'd go with One Boy or Lemons Are Not Red first.
Molly
Sep 05, 2014 Molly rated it really liked it
I really like this one. The words are really simple but it shows different scenarios of friends being left out and how to change so it works out for everyone. Great illustrations, too.
Alice
May 19, 2015 Alice rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-75-stars
3.75 stars very simple book, about choices and other options Through mostly pictures..very interesting!
Rachel
Mar 31, 2014 Rachel rated it liked it
Delightful, has great classroom potential to teach social skills about possible outcomes and friendship.
Amanda Funnell
Aug 25, 2014 Amanda Funnell rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s
A way to understand choices and how one story can have many different endings and outcomes,
Lyla
What if a boy found a beach ball and kicked it into the ocean? What if two seals found it and began to play? What if a third seal appeared on the beach looking for a friend? Enjoy this visit to the beach and the chance to guess what happens when different choices are made.

This is an almost wordless book that would best be enjoyed reading to one or two kids, in my opinion. The illustrations are so cute and the expressions really tell a lot. It could help kids make good decisions about letting ot
Elizabeth
Jan 27, 2014 Elizabeth rated it liked it
Shelves: jp-2014
I like the artwork and the idea. I don't think this would work well in a large Story time setting. I think this one would work best one on one.
Joy
Feb 28, 2012 Joy rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens
The cover is appealing, beachy and bright, but this nearly wordless picture book left me feeling blah. It presents three scenarios that play out about a ball and seals at a beach.

My three year old (who selected the book in her random library shelf pulling) was not engaged by the book and hasn't asked for a re-read. My seven year old actually told me he thought it was boring.

So, I get the concept, and the illustrations are colorful, but this wasn't a hit for our family.
Maggie
Incredibly clever and creative book that plays on alternate timelines to one cute story about seals playing. I can imagine having tons of fun reading with a child and talking about the dynamics of play and not leaving anyone out.
Nielson
May 22, 2010 Nielson rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
With very simple and limited text, this book depicts the possibilities of a ball, a beach, and three seals. The same story premise is illustrated three different ways so children will have the chance to explore the possibilities of what if? This would be a great book to gets kids' imaginations churning. Though the words are basic and simple, the bright and color-popping illustrations are what create the story.
Bree
Jan 16, 2014 Bree rated it did not like it
Shelves: preschool-books
Notes:
wordless books are usually awful (except Peter Spier) and this mostly-wordless one is no exception; it's about sharing and including others but books don't teach that lesson -- life does.
Lindsey
Sure, there is loads of repetition in this book, but it is such a dull tale. It is a cause and effect story, but not a very strong one. Two sea lions play with a beach ball. What happens when they continue to play in the ocean? What happens with one leaves to go on the beach? What happens when they include a third sea lion? Anyway, it could have been a lot better, but it fell completely flat.
Donalyn
This deceptively simple, almost wordless picture book is actually a lesson in conflict resolution and friendship as three seals, all on the same beach, explore three different outcomes when they meet and decide whether or not to play together.

I had trouble telling the seals apart and had to reread the book several times to understand what was going on with each seal.
W.H. Beck
Jul 11, 2010 W.H. Beck rated it liked it
Shelves: concept, read-aloud, 2010, k-1
WHAT IF a boy found a beach ball and kicked it into the ocean? WHAT IF two seals found it and began to play? WHAT IF a third seal appeared on the beach looking for a friend? In this spare and deceptively simple book, Laura Vaccaro Seeger shows us the same story with three different outcomes, each highlighting the possibility in possibilities.
Lorna
Jan 06, 2014 Lorna rated it liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
This nearly wordless book could be useful in conflict resolution practice in a classroom, as different scenarios are played out in graphic panels.
Patrick
Dec 15, 2012 Patrick rated it really liked it
Adam really liked this one and has asked to read it together several times while looking at it alone too. The story is short and picture based. It took us both a minute to distinguish between two of the seals whose coloring is similar. It's like a better version of that Ball for Daisy book that won the Caldecott last year.
Nancy Jo Lambert
I am shelving this as a wordless picture book because essentially, that's what it is.

I liked this book and having m ykids look closely at the pictures to see if they could extend on what could happen in each situation. It is a nice picture book that is one of those that needs interaction on the part of the reader.
Kyle Greenberg
I really liked how this book is interactive with the reader. Instead of just giving the reader a story, the author give three different scenarios of what if the beach ball was found somewhere else. Young children and early readers can learn how to read from the pictures and the words to understand the story.
This nearly worldless book explores what happens when three seals find a left behind beach ball. With three different scenarios, the seals explore themes in sharing and making friends. A good selection for young readers learning to be friends and good citizens.
Karen
Apr 11, 2013 Karen rated it it was amazing
This book will make you think about yourself. The story begs you to figure out what if, the whole time you are thinking about what you would do. Powerful and provoking. Another must read/have!
This book will have a lasting impression on the reader.
Heather
Apr 10, 2013 Heather rated it did not like it
The illustrations are beautiful, beautiful. But I just don't get these stories where you make up stories yourself. It seems to be the new hip thing, but honestly, I like words with stories. By the way, this one only asks you on each page, "what if?"
June
Oct 22, 2014 June rated it really liked it
Recommended to June by: Cap Choices
3 seals and a beach ball appear in 3 different stories. Lends itself to reader involvement and maybe even a preschool book discussion. 9/1/10

Tried at a story time, however, the children would only point and say ball so not really successful.
Betsy
May 01, 2012 Betsy rated it really liked it
Remember those choose-your-own-adventure books where the ending was different every time? This is sort of similar to that, only a picture book version. Several stories start out the same way but each time they have a slightly different ending....
  • A Beach Tail
  • Chalk
  • Magic Box
  • Black Jack: The Ballad of Jack Johnson
  • In Front of My House
Laura Vaccaro Seeger is a New York Times best-selling author and illustrator and the recipient of a 2008 Caldecott Honor, Theodor Seuss Geisel Honors for both 2009 and 2008, a 2007 New York Times Best Illustrated Book Award, and the 2007 Boston Globe/Horn Book Award for Best Picture Book. Her books include First the Egg, The Hidden Alphabet, and Dog and Bear, among others.

Raised on Long Island, Ne
More about Laura Vaccaro Seeger...