Start by marking “Go, a Complete Introduction to the Game” as Want to Read:
Go, a Complete Introduction to the Game

Go, a Complete Introduction to the Game (Beginner and Elementary Go Books)

Published September 15th 1997 by Kiseido Publishing Company (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Go, a Complete Introduction to the Game, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Go, a Complete Introduction to the Game

David
Jun 02, 2012 David rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Beginning go players
Shelves: non-fiction, gaming, go
I've read quite a few introductory go books now, so I give this book 5 stars as the best one I have found so far for its stated purpose, which is to introduce the game to a complete beginner. Cho Chikun is one of the strongest go players in the world today. I've found that as in everything else, people who are really good at something are not necessarily the best teachers or writers on the subject, so I liked Cho's ability to talk to someone who is just picking up the stones for the first time a ...more
Tuệ Trần
Jan 17, 2016 Tuệ Trần rated it it was amazing
Shelves: baduk
Một cuốn sách nhập môn cờ vây vừa ngắn gọn vừa đầy đủ thông tin cần thiết.

Ngoài ra, sau mỗi chương còn có phụ lục về các thông tin liên quan đến cờ vây, giúp cho người đọc bớt chán khi đâm đầu vào trắng trắng đen đen.

===
p/s: Sắp có bản dịch tiếng Việt in chui. :))
Alistair
Aug 31, 2014 Alistair rated it really liked it
As a Go-newbie I wanted a good introduction to the game. I had read several introductions (Wikipedia, British, French & Amercian Go Associations, and also GoGameGuru's basic lessons...) but I still couldn't really grasp some concepts. The first thing I noticed was the small size and thickness of this book. However the book really does cover nearly all aspects of the game. The author has a very clear way of explaining everything and all my questions sort of dissolved. Every chapter has some n ...more
Sebastian
Sep 21, 2013 Sebastian rated it it was amazing
Better than other beginner books I have read.

I have tried several beginner books, some better than others, and some really good, however, this book by Cho Chikun trumps them all. The reason is that it has real clear explanation of the concepts needed to play the game while at the same time giving you enough complexity to challenge you to take that next step towards improving.

The author teaches the basics of the game using a real game example. This can be challenging, since I have seen cases when
Nhu Khue
Feb 17, 2017 Nhu Khue rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not sure I will play any game of Go again, hahah! But I have to say that it's somewhat captivating.
Erik
Jan 08, 2017 Erik rated it liked it
An introduction to the introduction of the game. This short 150 page book is what leads you to a 4 volume "beginner" books. The long tail of Go is long. Lots of examples interspersed with history. However the book doesnt just introduce you to the goals and rules, but rather leads you to infer them. This may not be great for some people.

There were quite a few errors in my edition - stones referred to as the wrong number, or the wrong color. This made the book much harder to read than it should.
Invisible
Aug 21, 2015 Invisible rated it it was amazing
Shelves: go, games
This is a very nice, and very readable introduction to the Go. Even if you know basic rules, the author gives you nice explanations and glimpses into intermediate games.

Granted, you'll still be a beginner, but foundations you'll get are well worth the read. Moreover this will allow you to have a solid standing point, and to progress towards stronger plays in double digit kyu ranks.

You'll miss out if you just consider this as yet another beginner book...
Daniel Hagström
Great introduction. I just started learning this game and this book gave me a lot of useful information. The digital version i read (from the ios-app "go books") has a nice interface that lets you see the moves being made, like a video.
robin
Mar 13, 2016 robin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned-physically
an overview and explanation of basic go concepts and strategy, along with short essays about go history and culture and recommendations for further learning. definitely the book I would recommend for someone interested in the game
David
Jul 21, 2014 David rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2014, go, games
Very instructive book for someone trying to learn the game from scratch. Without a doubt a very clear introduction to the game, easy to follow, although the sequences of plays in the latter chapters being a bit long, it reads very easily. Highly recommended.
Frank
Nov 12, 2011 Frank rated it liked it
A pretty well-rounded introduction to the game. However for beginners wishing to learn the game, I usually recommend 'Learn To Play Go' volume 1 by Janice Kim & Jeong Soo-hyun. Kim's enthusiasm is infectious and the book is fun to read, well structured and full of good illustrations.
Tcowart
Nov 30, 2016 Tcowart rated it really liked it
I mean, I don't know Go at all, but this covered a lot in a fairly clear manner with plenty of examples. It seemed like a very good intro book. Four stars because it contains some errors (my copy came with a small sheet for one particular erratum but I think there were a few others).
Sean Helvey
Mar 29, 2015 Sean Helvey rated it it was ok
I don't think it was a bad book, but for someone new to the game, it was too detailed give me a cohesive understanding of the game.
Recle
May 08, 2015 Recle rated it it was amazing
Here are my thoughts on this book.

Summary: This is the best go book for absolute beginners.
Robert
Jul 07, 2011 Robert rated it really liked it
This is a very good introductory book on the game of Go. If you get the "Go Books" version (iPhone app) you can play through moves on the page as you read it. Very cool!
Alejandro Montiel
Sep 19, 2011 Alejandro Montiel rated it really liked it
Great introduction to the most fascinating game in the world
Eleanor Eclavea
Eleanor Eclavea rated it liked it
Apr 29, 2015
Michael Scott
Michael Scott rated it really liked it
Jan 04, 2009
Stephen
Stephen rated it liked it
Mar 01, 2012
Emre
Emre rated it really liked it
Jan 10, 2013
Hajar
Hajar rated it it was amazing
Nov 26, 2016
Charles
Charles rated it liked it
Dec 28, 2016
Dorian Mcfarland
Dorian Mcfarland rated it it was amazing
Feb 03, 2015
HJKim
HJKim rated it really liked it
May 11, 2016
Eivind
Eivind rated it really liked it
Feb 06, 2016
Andrei
Andrei rated it really liked it
Jun 14, 2013
Efren Castro
Efren Castro rated it really liked it
Oct 15, 2010
Ville Koivisto
Ville Koivisto rated it really liked it
Apr 02, 2014
Jorge
Jorge rated it really liked it
Apr 19, 2016
Bernd Kleinen
Bernd Kleinen rated it it was amazing
Jan 31, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »

Beginner and Elementary Go Books (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Lessons in the Fundamentals of Go (Beginner and Elementary Go Books)
  • The Second Book of Go
  • Get Strong at the Opening
  • Get Strong at the Joseki 1
  • Get Strong at Joseki 2 (Get Strong at Go, #3)
  • Get Strong at Joseki 3 (Get Strong at Go Series) (Beginner and Elementary Go Books)
  • Get Strong at Invading (Get Strong at Go)
  • Get Strong at Tesuji (Get Strong at Go Series) (Beginner and Elementary Go Books)
  • Get Strong at Life and Death (Get Strong at Go) (Beginner and Elementary Go Books)
  • Get Strong at the Endgame (Get Strong at Go Series) (Beginner and Elementary Go Books)