Go, a Complete Introduction to the Game

Go, a Complete Introduction to the Game (Beginner and Elementary Go Books)

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  40 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Published September 15th 1997 by Kiseido Publishing Company (first published 1997)

David
Jul 07, 2012 David rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Beginning go players
Shelves: go, gaming, non-fiction
I've read quite a few introductory go books now, so I give this book 5 stars as the best one I have found so far for its stated purpose, which is to introduce the game to a complete beginner. Cho Chikun is one of the strongest go players in the world today. I've found that as in everything else, people who are really good at something are not necessarily the best teachers or writers on the subject, so I liked Cho's ability to talk to someone who is just picking up the stones for the first time a...more
Sebastian
Better than other beginner books I have read.

I have tried several beginner books, some better than others, and some really good, however, this book by Cho Chikun trumps them all. The reason is that it has real clear explanation of the concepts needed to play the game while at the same time giving you enough complexity to challenge you to take that next step towards improving.

The author teaches the basics of the game using a real game example. This can be challenging, since I have seen cases when...more
Frank
A pretty well-rounded introduction to the game. However for beginners wishing to learn the game, I usually recommend 'Learn To Play Go' volume 1 by Janice Kim & Jeong Soo-hyun. Kim's enthusiasm is infectious and the book is fun to read, well structured and full of good illustrations.
Daniel Hagström
Great introduction. I just started learning this game and this book gave me a lot of useful information. The digital version i read (from the ios-app "go books") has a nice interface that lets you see the moves being made, like a video.
Robert
This is a very good introductory book on the game of Go. If you get the "Go Books" version (iPhone app) you can play through moves on the page as you read it. Very cool!
Alejandro Montiel
Great introduction to the most fascinating game in the world
Edson Flores
Edson Flores marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2014
Danielle
Danielle marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2014
Marco Di Peco
Marco Di Peco marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2014
Ryan
Ryan is currently reading it
Mar 03, 2014
Thomas
Thomas marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2014
Janne Lemmetti
Janne Lemmetti marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2014
Saša Tomislav
Saša Tomislav marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2014
Daniel
Daniel added it
Feb 21, 2014
Ma Sói
Ma Sói marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2014
Reynard
Reynard is currently reading it
Jan 23, 2014
Jonko
Jonko marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2013
Patrick Oman
Patrick Oman marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2013
Joel
Joel marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2013
Tom
Tom marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2013
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2013
Bahaa
Bahaa marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
The Magic of Go: A Complete Introduction to the Game of Go Positional Judgment, High-Speed Game Analysis All About Life and Death, Volume 2 The 3-3 Point, Modern Opening Strategy