Start by marking “i am neurotic: (and so are you)” as Want to Read:
i am neurotic: (and so are you)

i am neurotic: (and so are you)

3.80  ·  Rating Details  ·  346 Ratings  ·  62 Reviews
"Hand-Washers Unite, Online" - Rolling Stone

"Does it make me neurotic that I find this site immensely soothing to read? Soothing " - Scott Lamb, Buzzfeed

You can′t get through the day without checking to see if your front door is locked three times. You take exactly two tablespoons of cream in your coffee which must be swirling while you pour or else it just doesn′t take ri
Published October 13th 2009 by William Morrow Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about i am neurotic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about i am neurotic

Erin
May 18, 2013 Erin rated it liked it
I read this book in like ten minutes, and every third page is something I do. How long have I been in denial?
Mitch
Dec 16, 2013 Mitch rated it it was amazing
Shelves: best-books
I LOVE this book! Every time I open it, I am cracking up aloud within seconds! I saw it in a gift store, and I perused it while in the store. I could not put it down, because I kept laughing. I carried it around and finally decided to buy it, to give to a friend. Then I kept it for several more days because I wasn't ready to give it up! I kept reading it and laughing. I gave it to my friend, and it cracks her up, too. Now whenever I go to her house, I open the book and thumb through it again, an ...more
GirlwiththeBraids
Dec 04, 2009 GirlwiththeBraids rated it liked it
3.5 out of 5 stars
Ages 15+
RECOMMENDED

This book is based on real people’s submissions to iamneurotic.com so you know you aren’t the only one with these neuroses. From lining up the tacks on bulletin boards to eating Cheetos with chopsticks (orange fingers, eww!), over 200 neuroses are explored each with a wonderful photograph and a few short sentences.

This is a nice, quick sit-down read that’s really fun to look through. I didn’t expect the neuroses to be so different from each other. I found it
Kerrikoala
Dec 18, 2014 Kerrikoala rated it really liked it
...and so am I.

I had a library copy that, for this neurotic reader, was in terrible shape. First, there were some weird marks/stains on some of the pages. There was tape on the spine to reinforce it, but some crumbs have collected in the small gap between tape and spine. Plus, despite the tape, the pages were coming unglued from the spine, and I'm afraid I'll be punished for damaging it when I return it, even though it was like that when I got it. I enjoyed the book a lot, but I felt like I had
N.
Sep 17, 2014 N. rated it liked it
Not sure how to rate this so I'm going with average to slightly above average for its potential usefulness when creating characters. I Am Neurotic is a book based on a website, with a photo and a description of a separate individual's neurotic habit or way of thinking on each page. Kind of comforting to find that some of my own neuroses, present and outgrown, were mentioned or something similar to them was noted. A fun little book, nicely illustrated with photographs on every page except the int ...more
Matthew
Oct 28, 2013 Matthew rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humorous-books
I honestly bought this book just this afternoon on a whim because I wanted some reading material to read on the subway I ended up finishing the boo in about 15 mins and realized that not only do I have some neurotic tendencies that were mentioned in the book, but also a couple others as well. I totally recommend this book for a great laugh as well as learning something new about yourself that you do that you though was the 'norm'.
Jennie
Aug 31, 2010 Jennie rated it it was amazing
This was a really funny book and a great way to spend my afternoon. It is really short and takes no time at all to get through. I feel like I am a very neurotic person and found many of my outrageous behaviors brought up in this book, so that was comforting. Unfortunately, I also found myself agreeing with many of the other neurotic behaviors found within this book and I now feel a need to integrate them into my routine as well.
Patricia
Jun 21, 2011 Patricia rated it really liked it
Shelves: ha-larious
I don't get it--what's wrong with facing your bills sequentially, and in the same direction? I thought EVERYBODY did that.
Very funny and just plain weird at times (see Ch. 3 "it's not you, it's me: how to have an akward interaction). But you shouldn't judge. It takes all kinds.
Cass
Sep 03, 2012 Cass rated it really liked it
A quirky little book that one should not read in one sitting as it will make you feel exceedingly neurotic yourself :) :/
Alea
Dec 27, 2009 Alea rated it really liked it
I had seen I Am Neurotic on a display shelf a few weeks back and thought it looked like something I would enjoy. Then later found out it was first a blog (I love the blog to book stories) and finally sought it out at the store recently. It was definitely what I had expected. I identified several of my own "quirks" in the pages of this book and other ones I had never considered!

It was a little funny and a little comforting to read this book. Finding out a lot of people have little things that the
Christian Nelson
Aug 19, 2015 Christian Nelson rated it liked it
"When shaving I always have to leave a little Hitler mustache. I clean off all the shaving foam and say, "He was a bad man" to the mirror, before shaving off the mustache."
Linda
Nov 20, 2012 Linda rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humor
I bought this for a friend who does have some (admittedly) neurotic habits. I read through it before I sent it to her. Hilarious!

We've had fun conversations on whether or not some are true neurosis--for example, her husband says, "yes, it's neurotic" if you refuse to have liquids next to your computer. We disagree. We both see it as taking care of something very expensive (neither of us grew up financially secure, so we have more respect for the big-ticket items, I guess). However, we're split o
Gaby
Jan 15, 2010 Gaby rated it liked it
Another HarperStudio book, i am neurotic (and so are you) is a light compilation of different "neurosis" depicted in clever photographs. Lianna Kong uses the term neurosis loosely and for effect. i am neurotic (and so are you) didn't appeal to me as much as I'd expected, some of the quirks seemed a bit contrived to me and I may have fixated on the loose use of the term neurosis. I expect that the book will be better appreciated by other readers, the book is a fast read and quirky with artful pho ...more
Liz
Jan 27, 2016 Liz rated it liked it
A cute little collection of the neuroses of other people. Nothing substantial, but it definitely provides a few minutes of amusement.
Fiona
Jul 07, 2015 Fiona rated it it was amazing
Fun (and kind of comforting) to read, and a great resource for writers looking for quirks for their characters!
Tiffany
Jan 21, 2012 Tiffany rated it really liked it
In the final days of Borders, everything was discounted to ridiculously low prices. I felt justified in buying a large stack of books due to the fact that I was saving them and giving them a warm and loving home. This was one of the books that I purchased.

To face the facts, I have a few little neuroticisms of my own and this book provided laughs of kindred spirits as well as slightly more extreme spirits.

This isn't really a literary piece (think Post Secret but for neuroticisms) but I enjoyed th
Linda M.C. Nguyen
Mar 19, 2010 Linda M.C. Nguyen rated it liked it
This is an entertaining book, and upon reading it, some of these neuroses made me smile because I may know someone who is particularly neurotic about what is described in the book, while others times, I think I can relate to certain neuroses (although some would argue that I'm still in denial). I like the photography by Matthew Stacey in this book and the presentation is something too.

It's a fun book and it's easy to share and pass around. If you know someone who is especially neurotic, this boo
Elyse
Jan 11, 2012 Elyse rated it really liked it
I loved it!

Funny as can be!!! I'm still carrying it with me in my purse share with my friends.

Eating Cheetos with chopsticks, though? I love using chopsticks for many of my meals--but if the day came that I felt I had to eat cheetos with chopsticks---I wouldn't even bother! :)

Actually---aren't we all better off 'not-to-bother' with transfat-cheetos anyway? (guilty-guilty)....lol

This little book CUTE (love the pictures)
Sheila
May 19, 2010 Sheila rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: People with weird OCD rituals.
Shelves: non-fiction, 2010
Most of these "neurotic" tidbits are borderline OCD. Like the need to put thinks in color order and line up pushpins. I found out some things I am capable of doing myself.

EX.

When pumping my own gas, I have to round to the nearest dollar after the pump stops. Say the pump reads $23.65. I have to pump more gas (as in to top it off) til the price reads 24.00. However if it goes to 24.01, I don't worry about it.
Amanda [Novel Addiction]
Dec 04, 2014 Amanda [Novel Addiction] rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
I am so normal!
Catlin
Jul 17, 2010 Catlin rated it liked it
Really funny!

It is just a compilation of pictures and thoughts, so it is super easy and quick to read. My favorites were "When I walk over a bridge I have to hold on really tight to my belongings because I fear I might throw them off" and "When I see a dented package or a can with a torn label I'll buy it because I feel sorry for it. When I'm feeling especially charitable I'll go for a bruised apple."
Mike Talley Jr
Feb 05, 2011 Mike Talley Jr rated it really liked it
Wow, this book was alot better than I expected and seeing it sitting on the shelf in the humor section of Borders I couldn't pass on taking a gander at it. Once I discovered that I enjoyed reading other people's neurosis and love the full color pictures that accompany each neurosis, I had to buy it. Actually, reading this, I have discovered that I share some of these neurosis' with others. Haha! :)
Janie
Dec 19, 2009 Janie rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction, graphic
I thought the even 1:1 ratio of picture to neurosis was what really made this book. Some of these barely qualify as unusual behavior, and some of them really aren't funny. (twitch twitch)

My mom (who was here when I checked it out of the library) thought it was LOL funny and plans to buy it for her spare room.
Lisa Massaad
Mar 30, 2010 Lisa Massaad rated it really liked it
Found this at Urban Outfitters and started reading while my daughter was in the fitting room...laughed out loud at some, and began sharing with my daughter. We found ourselves in many of the "neuroses" which made us feel good and scared all at the same time. We purchased to share with the rest of the family.
Katie
Jun 30, 2011 Katie rated it really liked it
A small, but fun and entertaining read. I hadn't realized this was begun as a blog...I definitely want to check it out. It's always comforting to know that others share your idiosyncrasies (a nicer way of saying "all those weird OCD things you do"). Nicely accompanied with photos by Matthew Stacey.
John
Sep 24, 2010 John rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library_books, ebooks
Combination of a coffee table book and magazine article, which I finished in an hour or so.
I identified with a few of the behaviors, as well as finding several others not particularly "odd" or remarkable, although there were a few that seemed so silly I swore they'd been made up!
Keri
Aug 29, 2011 Keri rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Funny book and you might notice yourself (and your quirks) in some of the pages. It's actually less of a "book" and more just quotes listed with great photographs. Really quick read and you are bound to get a laugh...
Arthur
Dec 25, 2009 Arthur rated it it was amazing
Just the book to make you feel secure in your insecurities. The book collects anonymous confessions from iamneurotic.com, each illustrated with a fun photograph. The author works with Mel and the MIT Press.
John Poquette
Sep 26, 2010 John Poquette rated it it was ok
Interesting concept but poor execution - this project doesn't need a book implementation. Since I've not seen the blog this is based off I think I would rather read it that way.
Jessica Hampson
Jan 22, 2013 Jessica Hampson rated it liked it
Totally not what I thought it was going to be, but a fun and extremely funny read none the less. I def. laughed out loud several times. Makes me seem not so weird after all.
  • Global Model Village
  • The Big Bento Box of Unuseless Japanese Inventions
  • I Lick My Cheese And Other Notes: From The Frontline Of Flatsharing
  • Mortified 2: Love is a Battlefield
  • National Geographic Image Collection
  • 50 Boyfriends Worse Than Yours
  • Television Without Pity: 752 Things We Love to Hate (and Hate to Love) About TV
  • The Book of "Unnecessary" Quotation Marks: A Celebration of Creative Punctuation
  • Playboy's Silverstein Around the World
  • F U, Penguin: Telling Cute Animals What's What
  • What I Hate
  • 101 Two-Letter Words
  • Inventory: 16 Films Featuring Manic Pixie Dream Girls, 10 Great Songs Nearly Ruined by Saxophone, and 100 More Obsessively Specific Pop-Culture Lists
  • Regretsy: Where DIY Meets WTF