How Not To Make a Wish (As You Wish, #1)

How Not To Make a Wish (As You Wish #1)

3.09 of 5 stars 3.09  ·  rating details  ·  475 ratings  ·  64 reviews
While cleaning an old lantern, Kira Franklin releases a genie. But this gender-morphing, appearance-bending creature doesn't do "big" wishes. So forget stopping world hunger or ending war. And still heartbroken from the jerk who dumped her, Kira doesn't believe in the perfect man.So she wishes for her dream job. Stage manager at the hottest theater in town, the Landmark. A...more
Published October 1st 2009 by Mira

To ask other readers questions about How Not To Make a Wish, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How Not To Make a Wish

Tara
Well, I've been excited about this book since I first read about back around April or May. I like Mindy Klasky, she writes light chick-lit with a hint of supernatural to it. Plus as an added bonus this book is about a stage manager, in theater, which is what I am. I've never read a book about someone that does what I do, so I was over the top excited, maybe that's what let me down. I mean I probably was hyper-sensitive because of how close I was to the main character, and let me tell you there w...more
McKenzie
Kira's life hasn't been going too well. She was left at the alter right around a year ago, she's put on an unhealthy amount of weight, and her job as a stage manager is tanking. When cleaning the prop room, she finds a magic lamp. A little rub - and out pops Teel, a genie! Turns out, Kira now has some wishes to make. First, she wishes for her dream job. Little does she know that the new producer is a tad insane. She continues making wishes and continues learning from her mistakes, becoming a mor...more
Ana
Rjlouise
ACT ONE, WISH ONE by Mindy Klasky is about a professional stage manager (hooray techies!) who is - first and foremost, in her mind - love-lorn. Which is a pity, since she's a put-together, competent stage manager who also has a career worth worrying a little more about. And some incredible friends.

But, considering her chief concern in the first chapter is the anniversary of being jilted at the altar (her soon-to-be lack of job the secondary concern), the plot is pretty romance centered, as you m...more
Chrystal
I've read the Jane Madison series and loved it, but I just couldn't identify with the protagonist of the As You Wish series. I'm going to check out the rest of it, but I was pretty disappointed. I just got annoyed with all the "I hate myself because I'm fat and alone" stuff, when she kept making the same mistakes. Anyway, an easy read and not the worst thing I've ever read, but definitely not my favorite.
Casey
Oct 27, 2013 Casey rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013
I had mixed feelings about this. It was light, entertaining, and an easy read....but the character really bothered me. Kira was so...spineless. And I got really tired of her doing everything for some man. Or because of some man. I suppose it was a pretty accurate portrayal of a lot of women, but that didn't do anything to lesson my annoyance.
Deviki
I picked this book by random because I had this impression it will be an easy and light read. OH! boy was I wrong! Honestly I would like to give half a star for this book but Goodreads does not have that kind of features. Warning over use of the word ‘Seriously’
Things that made me utterly annoyed with this book.
Writing style and plot development, Oh man like seriously this author could have done a better job at writing, Seriously every time the genie appears in a different form, she talking abo...more
Lara
I received this book through a LibraryThing giveaway. While I was unaware at the time, this is a release with a new title and cover. I thought the story was cute, with a stage manager who loves the theater struggling to balance her fading career with her father's desires for her to become a lawyer. She ends up releasing a genie from a lamp and then begins to work her way through her wishes.

At first I found the book slow. There was a bit too much navel gazing and the initial appearance of the ge...more
Silvina
Kira trabaja como directora de escena en un teatro en bancarrota. Si pierde este trabajo su padre la va a echar de su departamento y obligar a estudiar para abogada (no es malo, solo le preocupa que su hija de 28 es una loser total). Cuando encuentra la lámpara mágica, desea tener su trabajo soñado. Pero el genio es un personaje poco compasivo y lo unico que le interesa es que elija rápido así puede ser promovido a vivir en un jardín mágico.
Lo bueno: es el romance con el vaquero, lento pero rea...more
Julie
Kira Franklin was still recovering from her breakup. A whole year after the fact, and thirty extra pounds later, practically jobless and in need of a miracle, she unexpectedly got one in the shape of a genie. That’s right, a real rub-the-lamp genie named Teel. Kira’s troubles are over!

Or so she thinks. As it turns out, her wishes make her life anything but easier. She wishes for a new job that turns out to be a huge fiasco, and after wishing away her extra thirty pounds, her friends and family...more
Kate
Still recovering from a horrible breakup a year ago, Kira Franklin feels as if she is in need of a miracle. Sure she has gained an extra thirty pounds, still counts the days since the breakup occurred, and generally feels as if nothing in her life is working. But what do these facts matter when you unexpectedly discover a genie. From the moment Kira meets Teel, a real-life genie, she is sure that things are about to change... hopefully for the better.

How Not to Make a Wish on the surface seemed...more
Clare
Be careful what you wish for... you just might get it.

Kyra Franklin rubs a prop lamp and an actual genie appears. Kyra first asks for a better job, and gets one as stage manager for Landmark Theatre, a groundbreaking theatre in Minneapolis. I love reading about local places, even if the Landmark is not an actual theatre here.

Director Bill Pomeroy is producing a "gender-shifted, iron-bound, water-stained, flashlight-lit, hip-hop-supertitled, heartbreaking production of Shakespeare's classic love...more
Casey (A Passion for Books)
A year later, Kira Franklin – still recovering from a break up, jobless and an extra thirty pounds heavier – is in desperate need of a miracle. One day, she gets that miracle in the shape of a genie. Now her troubles are over…or so she thinks. Her wishes end up making her life anything but easier. Every wish seems to just turn into a huge fiasco – like when she wished away her extra thirty pounds, her family and friends began to think she was anorexic.

How Not to Make a Wish sounded interesting w...more
Jade
I really liked this book, actually I would've given it 5 stars.
It's a nice twist to the classic stereotypical genie tail.
My edition of the book didn't have the last 2 chapters of the book because they had accidentally printed another book instead after page 304, so I had to go on Klasky's website to find them. (Apparently a lot of books had this little problem. Good thing I didn't buy it and got it from the library.)
However, the only, I repeat only, reason I'm giving it four stars is because the...more
Petit-lips
- Il y a une éternité que je n'ai pas lu de Chick-lit, ou « livres pour filles » si vous préférez. Après quelques déceptions, j'ai fini par abandonner le style. Et puis l'occasion de redécouvrir le genre s'est présentée à moi avec ce livre. J'ai bien fait d'accepter !!
A quoi rêvent les filles ? est un livre chick-lit original, avec un soupçon de fantastique. J'avoue que je ne m'y attendais pas du tout, mais c'est vraiment une très bonne idée.

- Kira Franklin, 28 ans, est régisseuse dans un petit...more
adventurat
I enjoyed Mindy's Jane Madison series, so jumped on this one (in e-book format because that's how I roll these days) pretty much as soon as it was released in October 2009. And then waited months to read it. Not only because I'd only just finished one of her series, but because this is the first book in a brand-new series, and volume 2 isn't ready yet. This is a change for me; I am almost never on top of brand new series; as with television, I come to them as they're finishing up.

But read it I d...more
Angela
Kelli
I have read other books by Mindy Klasky and have thoroughly enjoyed them. I will say the same for this one. Book One of the As You Wish Series starts out with Kira finding what she thinks is a prop magic lamp while getting ready for a garage-type sale at the dinner theater where she works. While trying to clean it, a genie comes out of the lamp and offers her the usual wishes. Things get a little crazy from there, but since this is a paranormal romantic comedy, everything works out in the end.
Diana
Kira is a newly laid-off stage manager who needs to find a job immediately or she will be forced by her father to finally take the LSAT and apply for law school. While cleaning out stage props, she accidentally rubs a lamp and is granted wishes by Teek, a genie. As Kira picks her wishes, she finds that not everything she wishes for turns out as she would like.

This book had some real potential and was cute, but it felt superficial to me. I really disliked Kira as a character--her whininess and en...more
Kim Q
Rating: 2.9/5

I was more than excited when I heard of this book, but as I read it, I couldn't help but feel disappointed. The plot fell flat, and the characters didn't really reach out to me like I thought they would. It's been a month since I read this book so some things are a little fuzzy to remember. I'll refrain from doing my usual thoughts of the beginning, middle, and end of the book because I feel I can't do it justice (darn procrostination and school!). I'm not really sure how I feel abo...more
Lauren
Kira gets wishes from a genie and finds out that some things go right without them.

John sounds sexy. Dig the cowboy thing.

Yes, it's been a long time since I've finished anything. I've been busy. Life has taken me by storm. And I love it.
Aisha
For me it took a while to get into it but once I did I couldn't put it down. The humor is contagious and Mindy Klasky paints a vivid picture with her words. Definitely looking forward to reading the rest of the series.
Jeannie Lopez
fun new start to a great series
Lexi Vick
Found this on the digital website. It was a fun read.
Db2567
Characters are 2 dimensional and not very likeable.
Would suggest readers persevere though as books 2 and 3 are great.
Katie
A cute novel about what a woman will really wish for if given wishes from a genie in a lamp. It was fun to read through over several snow days! A few clever twists to the whole genie in a lamp...but I felt that the heroine wished for such underdeveloped wishes that it desensitized the storyline.

The question remains, if you were given the opportunity to wish for anything...would you wish for seemingly menial wants for the here and now or more long-lasting wishes for the future?
Elizabeth
I have to say I was a little disappointed in this book. I loved Mindy Klasky's Witch series and had really high hopes for this book. Unfortunately, I found Kira whiny which made it very hard to get through the book and stay focused. The plot was also extremely predictable, although it was interesting to see how Kira handled the situations she got herself into. All and all not a terrible book but not the best of this author's work either.
Kim
What would you do if you found a genie? Kira finds out in this new series by Mindy Klasky. I don't know who will be the on-going character yet, but my bet is on Teel the genie. A good case of becareful what you wish for. I did find one thing annoying about this book, and that was her frequent use of (Read.......)as an expositive device. Got on my nerves after a while.
Kimberly
This could have been a really fun read. I was excited to see how the Genie story line played out, but it never really did. The book focused on the play within the story more than the story itself, and the Genie was almost an after thought. I enjoyed the other stories by Mindy Klasky and I will continue to read her stories, but thjs one was a disappointment.
  • Charmed & Deadly (Bronwyn the Witch, #3)
  • Casual Hex (Hex, #3)
  • Sabrina the Teenage Witch: A Novelization (Sabrina the Teenage Witch, #1)
  • The Warren Witches (Charmed)
  • Charms and Chocolate Chips (A Magical Bakery Mystery, #3)
  • Tarnished And Torn (A Witchcraft Mystery, #5)
  • Wednesday Night Witches (Red Dress Ink)
  • Midnight Tribunal (Trese, # 5)
  • Persistence of Vision
  • Crazy in Love
  • Tulle Death Do Us Part (Vintage Magic Mystery #6)
  • No Quest For The Wicked (Enchanted, Inc., #6)
  • Hex Appeal (Hex, #2)
Mindy Klasky learned to read when her parents shoved a book in her hands and told her that she could travel anywhere in the world through stories. She never forgot that advice.

Mindy's travels took her through multiple careers, including copyright lawyer and law librarian. Mindy now writes full time. Her books fall in a number of genres -- including traditional fantasy, urban fantasy, and category...more
More about Mindy Klasky...
Girl's Guide to Witchcraft (Jane Madison, #1) Sorcery and the Single Girl (Jane Madison, #2) Magic and the Modern Girl (Jane Madison, #3) The Glasswrights' Apprentice (Glasswright, #1) The Glasswrights' Progress (Glasswright, #2)