Start by marking “Initiation” as Want to Read:
Initiation

Initiation

4.38  ·  Rating Details  ·  664 Ratings  ·  58 Reviews
An autobiography that connects the twentieth century European life of internationally beloved teacher Elisabeth Haich and her lucid memories of initiation into the hidden mystical teachings of the priesthood in ancient Egypt. It reveals her insights into the subtle workings of karma, reincarnation, and spiritual development.
Published June 1st 2000 by Aurora Press (first published 1953)

To ask other readers questions about Initiation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Initiation

The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch AlbomThe Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-ExupéryJonathan Livingston Seagull by Richard BachInitiation by Elisabeth HaichWho Moved My Cheese? by Spencer Johnson
best inspiration fiction
4th out of 13 books — 16 voters
Twilight by Stephenie MeyerExplosion in Paris by Linda Masemore PirrungEclipse by Stephenie MeyerNew Moon by Stephenie MeyerHarry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling
Favorites
147th out of 568 books — 253 voters

More lists with this book...

Keleigh
Aug 18, 2008 Keleigh rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Initiates
Shelves: truth
I started this book over a year ago and just picked it up again. It's the first-person narrative of Elisabeth Haich, Western yogi born in Hungary in the late 19th century, and her detailed recollection of her past life as an initiate in ancient Egypt. The highlight of this dramatic story is not, believe me, the writing. Much of it sounds hackneyed and improbable, but once you get past that, the knowledge she conveys is rich and fascinating -- yet another packaging of the same universal truths to ...more
Bharath Ramakrishnan
Apr 04, 2014 Bharath Ramakrishnan rated it it was amazing
After I read the summary and some of the reviews it came across as similar to some of Brian Weiss' books. Since I like Brian Weiss' books, went ahead and got this. Initiation, however, is a deeply spiritual book with vivid descriptions of a time in Egypt when values and consciousness ruled. The descriptions of the capabilities and fundamentals of the Sons of God is exceptional including the pyramids (the science and purpose), lions drawing chariots, the spiritual exercises, telekinesis, concentr ...more
Sophia
Feb 19, 2008 Sophia rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who likes hermetic, accult, spiritual or just plain true books.
It's an amazing account of one woman's discovery of herself. In her journey she unlocks truths about science, math, yoga, religion, history, alchemy, peace, and so much more. I cherish this book and I think that everyone should read it, but I realize that most people can't.

It does start slow, admittedly, but it's a necessary buildup to the passages that follow the first quarter of it.

If you can, push through it. If not, set it aside for another day, but do read it one way or another. This is a l
Meghan
Jun 05, 2012 Meghan rated it it was amazing
Every time I start trying to continue reading this book, crazy things happen in my life, whether it be realizations of my own or just crazy events. I love it. it's challenging and thoughtful at the same time.
It's also a bit dry at times, but keep going!
Nea
I have mixed feelings about this book and I actually stopped reading it after page 214. I'm a believer in reincarnation but I just didn't believe this author's story. It didn't feel right in my heart. Yes, there were some great spiritual teachings within these pages, but I found it difficult to focus on the message as I didn't trust the messenger. A long, extremely detailed past-life memory that includes every word from every experience many lifetimes ago. And she just happens to have every secr ...more
Sali
Sep 20, 2009 Sali marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I'm very tempted to drop everything I'm reading to start this one. No idea why I'm stoked to read it when I have no clue as to what it's about. Sadly, I haven't even read the back cover. It just seems liked something I'd enjoy.
A friend handed it to me one winter evening 2 years ago and told me that it reminded him of me. It got me curious but not curious enough to start it then. Now it's found it's way back to me and I shall devour it before my summer ends.

Edit: I just skimmed over other review
Jillianfly
Jun 25, 2008 Jillianfly rated it it was amazing
Amazing autobiography about Elisabeth Haich's lucid memories of ancient Egypt. A book that you read and say "Why Not?" when considering her spin on mystical truths. If you are looking for a book that explains esoteric secrets of ancient Egypt...consider this great read.
Melonie
Nov 30, 2010 Melonie rated it really liked it
If you are at all interested in ancient Egyptian priesthood rituals (ahem), be aware that you have to get through the first 200 pages before she comes to them. However, this is a fascinating glimpse into a person's reflection on their life and reincarnation. Its out of print and is obscure, but worth the search for us weirdos.
Paul
May 03, 2011 Paul rated it it was amazing
awesome! news twists on ancient egyptian knowledge and a really cool scene about past-life yoga!
i don't want to spoil it for you. a really fun read if your into the study of esoteric knowledge.
basically a woman remebers her past life as an egyptian princess, an initiate to higher knowledge.
Debasish Das
Jan 31, 2014 Debasish Das rated it it was amazing

The book is not an easy read despite its relatively compact size of aprox 360 pages, and the concepts will remain etched as a life changing experience.. it is as if going through the Initiation process itself. The book neither is a historical account of Egypt’s past civilization, nor is an astronomical treatise on the planet’s path through the precession cycle of the twelve zodiac stars, though the context of the book is enveloped between these two outlines : it is basically a spiritual upliftin
Sumangali Morhall
Jul 27, 2015 Sumangali Morhall rated it it was amazing
This is an unusual story, in that the author remembers experiences in past incarnations – most notably one in ancient Egypt – and links them to her present life. It’s fascinating just from a scientific and historical viewpoint as she recalls in great detail mysterious practices from thousands of years ago. From a spiritual viewpoint it is all the more captivating and inspiring, if a little terrifying in places. Not for the faint-hearted, it’s the kind of book that stays with you, for better or w ...more
Peter Fogtdal
Feb 10, 2009 Peter Fogtdal rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spiritual
You can read this book on so many levels - like a novel from a woman with a vivid imagination; as a textbook on reincarnation and the spiritual lessons we need to learn, or as a memoir by a spiritual yoga teacher with a memory better than ours. This book is unforgettable. I'm going to read it again in my next life ...
Chrisy Walker
Nov 20, 2015 Chrisy Walker rated it it was amazing
There is so much information in this book that it took a while to read through but by the time I finished it I wished I had made my self finish it much sooner. I was repeated astounded at the details that rang true in my mind. Many of my own past life and current life questions were answered.
Anand Krishna
I wish there are many more books along this line, written by westerners.
I am afraid most of the so-called "spiritual" books written by "many" western authors nowadays are not based on their actual experience but products of "cut-and-paste" ideas.
Leslie
Feb 04, 2010 Leslie rated it really liked it
A true time traveling tripper's book. Yoga, past lives, destiny, the occult...
Will probably read it or parts again at some point.
Denita
Jun 06, 2014 Denita rated it it was amazing
A great book!
Margaret McDowell
This book was the most powerful book I've ever read. This is non-fiction and she puts to words, things that I've tried to make sense of in my head through experience but she has a way of explaining it very well. If you are enlightened and have awareness of the metaphysical realm, this book will blow your mind. I bought 6 copies so when the time is right, I can give them away to people in my life.
Ellie
Nov 12, 2014 Ellie rated it it was amazing
If you are new to the idea of past lives, reincarnation and karma, then this is the book for you. A classic book I came across early on my spiritual journey. Fascinating and absorbing and enlightening.
Uliana Avtonomova
Feb 10, 2015 Uliana Avtonomova rated it it was amazing
This book gives you an opportunity to think why did you come in this world? What for? For physical, sexual pleasure or for the way of your spirit. Each person makes his/her own choice.
Ashley
Jan 31, 2016 Ashley rated it it was ok
"I began to realize that I was not yet going to die, because I still had this work to do, and that I could not die at all until I had fulfilled this task."
Holly
Jul 30, 2014 Holly rated it it was amazing
A friend recommended this book. It's been around a long time. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Some of my friends read it 30 years ago.
Sue
Jun 07, 2016 Sue rated it did not like it
Shelves: esoteric
"A little over my pay grade . . . " I turned around and gave this to the local library; they'll figure out what to do with it. Lots of catchy phrases that I had found in other books. Maybe just too lofty for me.
Kay Jamieson
Jun 07, 2016 Kay Jamieson rated it really liked it
Very scary-- disconcerting--but intriguing
Isotilia
Mar 18, 2013 Isotilia rated it it was ok
Shelves: religiao
She changed the tipe of death of her son in Africa. The first time she says he died in a tiger attack. Then when she refers to his death once more, she tells he died in a river due to a crocodile attack. To me it is a fictional author's mistake. I didn't believe in any moment she really had a reencarnation memory. Maybe I was deeply affected my this story mistake.
Siri-beate
Sep 28, 2012 Siri-beate rated it it was amazing
Dette er en bok jeg har tenkt mye etter. Spennende og tankevekkende, ingen a4 bok og med linker til mye annet. Så sant man vender seg til New age aspektet her er den grei å lese. Tåler du ikke det kan du bare la boken ligge
Janine
Mar 04, 2009 Janine rated it really liked it
There is some simple wisdom around integrity and other dimensions. It left me wanting more, and curious how an aware person could not be more socially involved with the political climate of her times. (Nazi Germany Expatriate)
J.J. Harkin
Apr 11, 2012 J.J. Harkin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book greatly affected how I describe the ancient world in my own books. There is such symmetry to the descriptions and belief systems supported by the author’s personal experiences. She is and will be missed.
Tracy
Mar 10, 2012 Tracy rated it it was amazing
Wonderful book. So much of what I read really reasonated with my life. I feel like this is the life manual that I somehow misplaced when I was born. I gives me many thinks to think about in relation to my own life.
Xavier
Sep 24, 2012 Xavier added it
Awesome book! It really connects all the different views and angles from various religions and philosophies. Either Elisabeth Haich was for real or she had the most fascinating imagination in the world
lézengő reader
Mar 29, 2011 lézengő reader rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: brain-washed New Age folks, especially middle aged women
LOL. MegaLOL and GigaLOL.
She's so ridiculous. Just to say one thing, those "Egyptian" names are actually Hungarian words distorted with with silly spelling. Worse than Szepes Mária, seriously.
This is my absolute favorite book ever 6 28 Jun 25, 2016 01:46AM
  • The Ra Material: An Ancient Astronaut Speaks
  • From the Ashes of Angels: The Forbidden Legacy of a Fallen Race
  • Marx and Satan
  • Vacation
  • The Threat: The Secret Agenda What the Aliens Really Want and How They Plan to Get It
  • The Sabi
  • The Urantia Book
  • In Sorcery's Shadow: A Memoir of Apprenticeship among the Songhay of Niger
  • The Orion Mystery: Unlocking the Secrets of the Pyramids
  • House of Stone: The True Story of a Family Divided in War-Torn Zimbabwe
  • Strange Angel: The Otherworldly Life of Rocket Scientist John Whiteside Parsons
  • UFOs and the National Security State 2: The Cover-up Exposed 1973-91
  • Serving Humanity
  • The Stargate Conspiracy
  • Vaccine A: The Covert Government Experiment That's Killing Our Soldiers--and Why GI's Are Only the First Victims
  • Angels, Demons & Gods of the New Millenium: Musings on Modern Magick