Start by marking “Initiation” as Want to Read:
Initiation

Initiation

4.42 of 5 stars 4.42  ·  rating details  ·  442 ratings  ·  49 reviews
An autobiography that connects the twentieth century European life of internationally beloved teacher Elisabeth Haich and her lucid memories of initiation into the hidden mystical teachings of the priesthood in ancient Egypt. It reveals her insights into the subtle workings of karma, reincarnation, and spiritual development.
Published June 1st 2000 by Aurora Press (first published 1953)

To ask other readers questions about Initiation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Initiation

The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch AlbomThe Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-ExupéryWho Moved My Cheese? by Spencer JohnsonWay of the Peaceful Warrior by Dan MillmanJonathan Livingston Seagull by Richard Bach
best inspiration fiction
6th out of 13 books — 13 voters
Twilight by Stephenie MeyerExplosion in Paris by Linda Masemore PirrungHarry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingNew Moon by Stephenie MeyerBreaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer
Favorites
124th out of 544 books — 237 voters

More lists with this book...

Keleigh
Aug 18, 2008 Keleigh rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Initiates
Shelves: truth
I started this book over a year ago and just picked it up again. It's the first-person narrative of Elisabeth Haich, Western yogi born in Hungary in the late 19th century, and her detailed recollection of her past life as an initiate in ancient Egypt. The highlight of this dramatic story is not, believe me, the writing. Much of it sounds hackneyed and improbable, but once you get past that, the knowledge she conveys is rich and fascinating -- yet another packaging of the same universal truths to...more
Sophia
Feb 19, 2008 Sophia rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who likes hermetic, accult, spiritual or just plain true books.
It's an amazing account of one woman's discovery of herself. In her journey she unlocks truths about science, math, yoga, religion, history, alchemy, peace, and so much more. I cherish this book and I think that everyone should read it, but I realize that most people can't.

It does start slow, admittedly, but it's a necessary buildup to the passages that follow the first quarter of it.

If you can, push through it. If not, set it aside for another day, but do read it one way or another. This is a l...more
Sali
Sep 20, 2009 Sali marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I'm very tempted to drop everything I'm reading to start this one. No idea why I'm stoked to read it when I have no clue as to what it's about. Sadly, I haven't even read the back cover. It just seems liked something I'd enjoy.
A friend handed it to me one winter evening 2 years ago and told me that it reminded him of me. It got me curious but not curious enough to start it then. Now it's found it's way back to me and I shall devour it before my summer ends.

Edit: I just skimmed over other review...more
Jillianfly
Amazing autobiography about Elisabeth Haich's lucid memories of ancient Egypt. A book that you read and say "Why Not?" when considering her spin on mystical truths. If you are looking for a book that explains esoteric secrets of ancient Egypt...consider this great read.
Bharath Ramakrishnan
After I read the summary and some of the reviews it came across as similar to some of Brian Weiss' books. Since I like Brian Weiss' books, went ahead and got this. Initiation, however, is a deeply spiritual book with vivid descriptions of a time in Egypt when values and consciousness ruled. The descriptions of the capabilities and fundamentals of the Sons of God is exceptional including the pyramids (the science and purpose), lions drawing chariots, the spiritual exercises, telekinesis, concentr...more
Debasish Das

The book is not an easy read despite its relatively compact size of aprox 360 pages, and the concepts will remain etched as a life changing experience.. it is as if going through the Initiation process itself. The book neither is a historical account of Egypt’s past civilization, nor is an astronomical treatise on the planet’s path through the precession cycle of the twelve zodiac stars, though the context of the book is enveloped between these two outlines : it is basically a spiritual upliftin...more
Melonie
If you are at all interested in ancient Egyptian priesthood rituals (ahem), be aware that you have to get through the first 200 pages before she comes to them. However, this is a fascinating glimpse into a person's reflection on their life and reincarnation. Its out of print and is obscure, but worth the search for us weirdos.
Paul
awesome! news twists on ancient egyptian knowledge and a really cool scene about past-life yoga!
i don't want to spoil it for you. a really fun read if your into the study of esoteric knowledge.
basically a woman remebers her past life as an egyptian princess, an initiate to higher knowledge.
Meghan
Every time I start trying to continue reading this book, crazy things happen in my life, whether it be realizations of my own or just crazy events. I love it. it's challenging and thoughtful at the same time.
It's also a bit dry at times, but keep going!
Leslie
A true time traveling tripper's book. Yoga, past lives, destiny, the occult...
Will probably read it or parts again at some point.
Margaret McDowell
This book was the most powerful book I've ever read. This is non-fiction and she puts to words, things that I've tried to make sense of in my head through experience but she has a way of explaining it very well. If you are enlightened and have awareness of the metaphysical realm, this book will blow your mind. I bought 6 copies so when the time is right, I can give them away to people in my life.
Nea
I have mixed feelings about this book and I actually stopped reading it after page 214. I'm a believer in reincarnation but I just didn't believe this author's story. It didn't feel right in my heart. Yes, there were some great spiritual teachings within these pages, but I found it difficult to focus on the message as I didn't trust the messenger. A long, extremely detailed past-life memory that includes every word from every experience many lifetimes ago. And she just happens to have every secr...more
Holly
A friend recommended this book. It's been around a long time. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Some of my friends read it 30 years ago.
Isotilia
She changed the tipe of death of her son in Africa. The first time she says he died in a tiger attack. Then when she refers to his death once more, she tells he died in a river due to a crocodile attack. To me it is a fictional author's mistake. I didn't believe in any moment she really had a reencarnation memory. Maybe I was deeply affected my this story mistake.
Denita
A great book!
Peter H. Fogtdal
You can read this book on so many levels - like a novel from a woman with a vivid imagination; as a textbook on reincarnation and the spiritual lessons we need to learn, or as a memoir by a spiritual yoga teacher with a memory better than ours. This book is unforgettable. I'm going to read it again in my next life ...
Anand Krishna
I wish there are many more books along this line, written by westerners.
I am afraid most of the so-called "spiritual" books written by "many" western authors nowadays are not based on their actual experience but products of "cut-and-paste" ideas.
Siri-beate
Dette er en bok jeg har tenkt mye etter. Spennende og tankevekkende, ingen a4 bok og med linker til mye annet. Så sant man vender seg til New age aspektet her er den grei å lese. Tåler du ikke det kan du bare la boken ligge
Janine
There is some simple wisdom around integrity and other dimensions. It left me wanting more, and curious how an aware person could not be more socially involved with the political climate of her times. (Nazi Germany Expatriate)
J.J. Harkin
This book greatly affected how I describe the ancient world in my own books. There is such symmetry to the descriptions and belief systems supported by the author’s personal experiences. She is and will be missed.
Tracy
Wonderful book. So much of what I read really reasonated with my life. I feel like this is the life manual that I somehow misplaced when I was born. I gives me many thinks to think about in relation to my own life.
Xavier
Sep 24, 2012 Xavier added it
Awesome book! It really connects all the different views and angles from various religions and philosophies. Either Elisabeth Haich was for real or she had the most fascinating imagination in the world
Zerge
Mar 29, 2011 Zerge rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: brain-washed New Age folks, especially middle aged women
LOL. MegaLOL and GigaLOL.
She's so ridiculous. Just to say one thing, those "Egyptian" names are actually Hungarian words distorted with with silly spelling. Worse than Szepes Mária, seriously.
Marta
I have very confused feelings after having finished this book; the only thing I'm sure about is that I'll come back to it soon. First I need to think and re-think about it...
Hm
I love this book. Not for the style or plot or anything about her writing, but the meaning and message hit deep within me and came at a time of my own Initiation.
Ayesha Chander
I never did finish it. One day i will, I promise. But, it was stupid of me to think I could read books about finding religion and God when I'm not open to it all yet :/
Jana
One of the books that you have to read and believe. And then after, read it again from another level and perception. This book is pure amazement and greatness.
Sebastyne
One of the most interesting books I've ever read in my life. That is all I want to say about it: If you are interested in reincarnation, this is a must read.
Bruce Deming
Well I read this a long time ago and frankly didn't know what to do with it. Hair stands up on my neck thinking about it. Wild book.
Alain
Impression dubitative, partagé entre le doute et le rejet total, inquiet sur ce type de croyance et lassé d’y avoir passé tant de temps
This is my absolute favorite book ever 6 23 Jun 17, 2014 07:36AM
  • The Urantia Book
  • Vacation
  • The Stargate Conspiracy
  • Strange Angel: The Otherworldly Life of Rocket Scientist John Whiteside Parsons
  • Of Water and the Spirit: Ritual, Magic and Initiation in the Life of an African Shaman
  • The Orion Mystery: Unlocking the Secrets of the Pyramids
  • Life and Teaching Of The Masters Of The Far East
  • Serpent in the Sky: The High Wisdom of Ancient Egypt
  • Five for Sorrow, Ten for Joy
  • The Hidden History of the Human Race - The condensed edition of Forbidden Archeology
  • Even After All This Time: A Story of Love, Revolution, and Leaving Iran
  • Twice Born
  • Fallen Hopes, Taken Dreams
  • Plague of Angels (The Descended, #1)
  • What the World Eats
  • Cain's Book
  • The Ringtone and the Drum: Travels in the World's Poorest Countries
  • Bringers of the Dawn: Teachings from the Pleiadians
Sexual Energy and Yoga The Wisdom Of The Tarot Yoga and destiny Yoga And Health The Day with Yoga: Inspirational Words to Guide Daily Life