Start by marking “Vice Dos and Don'ts: 10 Years of VICE Magazine's Street Fashion Critiques” as Want to Read:
Vice Dos and Don'ts: 10 Years of VICE Magazine's Street Fashion Critiques

Vice Dos and Don'ts: 10 Years of VICE Magazine's Street Fashion Critiques

From the creators of the runaway cult magazine sensation and arbiter of all that is cool comes the ultimate visual guide on how to be--and not be--a modern urban hipster.
Published September 1st 2004 by Grand Central Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Vice Dos and Don'ts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vice Dos and Don'ts

Aug 24, 2010 David rated it it was amazing
Shelves: low-calorie
Of course, anybody with even the most rudimentary talent for sniffing these things out will surmise that Vice Dos and Don'ts falls well within the often nebulous boundaries of Hipster Culture. As such, it is expected to walk a wobbly, boing-boing tightrope, simultaneously embracing this status (via its snark and in-the-know elitism) and deprecating it too, because an objet de hipsteur must ipso facto shrug off conspicuity lest it become the target of a more willfully deprecated, inconspicuous, a ...more
Aug 12, 2010 Oriana rated it it was amazing
There are no words to express how much I adore this schadenfreudian orgy, or my undying devotion to Vice magazine and Gavin McInnes, even though he is clearly a dangerous, drug-addled, unbelievably mean prick, and did you hear that Vice finally kicked him out? Which is totally fucked, since he was one of the founding members and all that. Anyway, this book makes me HOWL with amazement, every goddamn time I read it. Please go buy it, then you'll understand.

In case you haven't seen this book or th
mark monday
Aug 15, 2011 mark monday rated it liked it
Shelves: guidebooks
hipster jackasses critiquing and praising various hipster and non-hipster types. i should probably hate this for the smug lameness of it all BUT IT IS TOO FUCKING HILARIOUS! ah well, can't win em all. you won this round, hipsters! i bet this will be even more fun and heartwarming 20 years from now, when all the fashion do's and don'ts and all the snark have acquired a quaint retro feel. ah, hipsters....aren't they just adorable? don't you just love their floppy hair, skinny jeans, long-playing r ...more
Dec 11, 2007 Scott rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Snarky Sh*tbags
Not exactly a "proud pleasure" - honestly, Vice Magazine's So-Over-It-We're-Under-It editorial tone would have cut more ice with me back a good decade or so when I considered my own opinions to be unalterable laws. That said, this book made me laugh. A lot. Even sans the crudely hilarious commentary, the parade of the misguided and the beguiling (misbeguiling?)contained in these photographs is enough to give the most inveterate fast-forwarders pause.
Oct 26, 2007 Anne-Marie rated it it was amazing
Vice is one of my favorite magazines and I savor every single issue, but I ALWAYS save the Dos & Don'ts pages for last - just like I save the frosting on a piece of birthday cake for last, 'cause, you know, that's the best freakin' part. I like to read them out loud to my old man and then we laugh and laugh. Having page after page of these little gems to enjoy is better than having a whole jar of frosting that you ain't gotta share with nobody.
Jul 19, 2007 Amanda rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Funniest damn thing ever put to paper. This guy is a self proclaimed bastard, but he's great at what he does. I've been paging through this on a very regular basis for the past year or so and it still makes pee.
Nov 28, 2007 Dave rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: ANY person who does not suck
This is possibly the greatest book of all time. I know it's not real literature, but all books should hope to have such wit, sarcasm, and loathe for humanity. I aspire to hate as beautifully as Vice.
Ryan Dilbert
Jun 03, 2007 Ryan Dilbert rated it it was amazing
if you like your humor really mean, absurd and funny as hell, then this is the book for you.
May 14, 2013 Phyllis rated it liked it
Shelves: fashion, humor
I have a major love hate relationship with this book. I really hate it when straight dudes judge women's style on whether or not it gave them a boner, and a lot of the jokes are mega super offensive (is there a word for when you get offended by something that's transparently contrived to offend? I bet the Germans have one), but God help me every time I was ready to have a big feminist bookstore freakout over this thing, there would be a transcendently hilarious picture or joke that would make me ...more
Aug 26, 2007 Carolynn rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fellow people watchers
Probably the best coffee table book apart from any Taschen art book. If you're not familiar with the magazine then, well, you need to be. Vice is now an empire, but they are still one of the only groups of people who will, let's say, join the KKK just to write a review.

Their 'Dos and Donts' section is the most popular with its scathing captions (which are some of the best writing I've EVER read) to pictures of the most foul, beautiful, looney, impossible, etc. pictures of people walking down th
Tracey Duncan
Jun 12, 2008 Tracey Duncan rated it it was amazing
this might actually be my favorite book ever. it provides more comfort than codeine cough syrup during cold season, it's good late at night when you got the spins, and it is amazingly spill resistant. i know the shit has been cool for over ten years and the ride has to end some time, but i'll go ahead and say it, yes, gavin mcinnes might be a fucking genius and i won't ever get enough.
Oct 10, 2007 Christina rated it it was amazing
This is a collected anthology of Vice Magazines street fashion critiques. There is a whole section captured at SXSW so you may be in there. It makes me laugh so hard that for the entire first year that I owned it I kept it in my bookcase headboard only allowing myself to read it in little candy-coated doses when I really needed a laugh. Prozac on page and I was sad when I finished it.
Sean Nolan
Apr 11, 2014 Sean Nolan rated it it was ok
Good... if you like piictures of stuff!
Apr 09, 2009 Allison rated it really liked it
I'm not exactly Vice Magazine's target audience, but I picked this up at Tower Records once, and within about two minutes of opening it I was laughing so hard that my stomach hurt. This book is mean, but oh my goodness is it funny. The only thing is, now if I see someone wearing snow pants, for example, or a shirt printed with flames, it's really hard not to laugh out loud.
Jul 23, 2007 Drew rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: hipsters
Shelves: nonfiction
This book is a good coffee table/bathroom book. You never know what each page will bring, except for a series of off-color remarks about outfits you never dared to try. It shoots holes in what you might think a fashion magazine might be, and produces enough laughs to fill a comedy club. However, eventually you can't help but feel a little bad for some of the people.
Tara Calaby
Oct 02, 2013 Tara Calaby rated it it was ok
Shelves: humour, fashion
This is not an intellectual work. A lot of the content is based on swearing and using racist and misogynistic terms for comedy effect – but at least it's honest about it. Mildly entertaining for a while, but I doubt I'd have made it through the whole thing if there hadn't been a power failure and nothing much else to do ;)
Mar 24, 2009 Kara rated it it was amazing
Absolutely hilarious and strangely self-esteem boosting. It's nice to hear from a guy who has relatively little tolerance for perfect, model-looking girls, and can find many, many things hot about regular chicks. The scathing criticisms, on the opposite side of the fence, are uproarious. One of my favorite books.
Jul 02, 2007 Ashley rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: shit-talkers
VICE magazine is ultra funny. I had just broken up with my boyfriend and was feeling weepy and open and this book allowed me to laugh at the expense of strangers and get back to my normal, wry self. For that I am so grateful.
Melissa Hurwitz
Mar 14, 2008 Melissa Hurwitz rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone but dirtbags and Quebecois
Recommended to Melissa by: Mike
One time we were returning home from a long day of air travel and I said, "You know what I want to do?"
Mike said, "Get in bed and read Vice Dos and Don'ts."
It's good to have someone who accepts and loves you.
Feb 12, 2008 Mo rated it it was amazing
so funny its not even funny. har har. aaaaanyway. good coffee table book. fun to just pick up and read a few pages at a time here and there. oh, good for the bathroom then! is that gross to say that? meh, whatever
Apr 17, 2008 Megatrend rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Every hipster wannabe that is interested in fashion and/or foul language
Shelves: non-fictional, funny
Dos and Don'ts have been (and are) the only really good thing about vice magazine. This book is fucking hilarious and you will never have more fun sitting on the potty if you place this next to your toilet brush.
May 15, 2007 space rated it did not like it
anyone into "fashion" (conspicuous consumerism) should immediately be put to work hoeing weeds alongside the fucking interstate. Or better yet, marched off into some side canyon and summarily shot.
Jul 06, 2007 James rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
reading this is a good thing to do when your friends are busy trying not to look like something in the don't & you're simply waiting to go the bar.
Jan 13, 2009 Kate rated it it was amazing
Oh boy, this book is mean, and I loved every word of it! Leave it up to good ole Mom to introduce me to this filthy, snarky, bad fashion fest. Thanks Mommy!
Aug 22, 2011 Sharon rated it it was amazing
Sure there are some juvenile comments...but this book proves that there is never a lack of material to shock and awe when simply people watching.
Dec 05, 2007 Karie rated it it was amazing
I like this lowbrow, high-style rag and would reccomend it to other highbrow/ lowbrow types who enjoy as good (if not uncomfortable) laugh.
Mar 16, 2009 Shoshana rated it it was amazing
If you don't nearly or literally fall on the floor laughing when reading this book, you officially have no sense of humor.
Jun 11, 2012 Matt rated it it was amazing
I am not proud of my love for this book. It is a filthy, trashy arch toss-off. I have never laughed more at anything else.
Aug 14, 2010 Brian rated it it was amazing
Look, I'd pay ten dollars to beat the shit out of anyone who writes for Vice. But this is also a really funny book.
Aug 31, 2007 jesa rated it it was amazing
fucking awesome. have it around, you won't stop picking it up even after you've read each sarcastic caption (twice).
  • Homeland Insecurity: The Onion Complete News Archives, Volume 17
  • Found II: More of the Best Lost, Tossed, and Forgotten Items from Around the World
  • Street: The Nylon Book of Global Style