Start by marking “Principles of Language Learning and Teaching” as Want to Read:
Principles of Language Learning and Teaching

Principles of Language Learning and Teaching

Principles of Language Learning and Teaching, Fifth Edition, by H. Douglas Brown, is the classic second language acquisition text used by teacher education programs worldwide. Principles introduces key concepts through definitions of terms, thought-provoking questions, charts, and spiraling. New Classroom Connections encourage students to consider the implications of resea ...more
Paperback, Fifth Edition, 410 pages
Published June 1st 2006 by Pearson Longman (first published 1980)

hossein sharifi
Apr 18, 2017 hossein sharifi rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
one of the most awful books about bloody principle of language learning which is ever written.
I'm going to vomit over all pages and words ! :D

the author has done nothing, but asking questions without even bothering to answer one of them!
its academic language and diction is bloody difficult and knackering.
Valerie
Jan 19, 2009 Valerie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Valerie by: Dr. Vaughn
When I give it 3 stars, that does not mean that it was great reading, in this case, it is because I found it useful for teaching.
Steve
Jan 22, 2012 Steve rated it liked it
This was the second of two text books for my Theories of Teaching English as a Second/Foreign Language (TESL/TEFL) class at Northeastern Illinois University (NEIU) during the fall of 2011. This was really a text book While it was clear, it wasn't deep and it read like a text trying to summarize things. I'd recommend it for one who wanted to gain a general idea about things.

The author of the text is a faculty member at San Francisco State University. I actually applied for a job there in their p
Mehrnaz
Dec 31, 2008 Mehrnaz rated it really liked it
This was the book I read thoroughly once I was getting my EFL certificate from Cavendish College of England. Now I would like to re-read parts of it to help me in writing my own book.
Tina
Sep 12, 2011 Tina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this to take the ESL MTEL and passed.
Paras2
Jun 20, 2017 Paras2 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
difficult language and concepts to follow.
honestly, I'd burn this book if I could...
Hessam
Aug 02, 2010 Hessam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book covers almost a comprehenive aspect of language teaching from Language teaching methods to the learner's individual differences. Brown in this book has taken a down to earth strategy and the concepts are easy to grasp. I recommend this book to those who would like to take a Language teaching career in the future.
Budi Kurniawan
Aug 04, 2011 Budi Kurniawan rated it really liked it
Finally finished. This is probably the most thorough book about language learning and teaching. Every aspects, factors that influence SLA are discussed. What's interesting is how the book concludes with a form of theory of SLA, but in the end it also states that language teaching is a journey, which often relies on our intuition.
Adam Tervort
Mar 03, 2010 Adam Tervort rated it it was amazing
Like many others, I read this book in connection with a TESOL/EFL class. The writing style is easy to read, Brown has a delightful tone, and he plows through mountains of research so that it is easy to digest and (hopefully) use in your teaching. Highly recommended!
Ariel
Sep 19, 2011 Ariel added it
great
Faeze
Oct 04, 2007 Faeze rated it liked it
unique in approach & necessary to read!
Sahar
Oct 16, 2009 Sahar rated it really liked it
I am starting to like Douglas Brown! ;))
Angelytha Tata
Jan 19, 2013 Angelytha Tata marked it as to-read
good book
Patricia Graham
Aug 09, 2012 Patricia Graham rated it really liked it
I have read this once, but I figured since I have comps this Dec., I should re-read again-- still boring as hell
Wanda
Nov 12, 2014 Wanda rated it liked it
I had to read this book for a class. Not very exciting, but informative.
Kitty Hallin Payne
Mar 05, 2013 Kitty Hallin Payne rated it it was ok
Lots of information but written in a thoroughly dry and boring manner
Marta
May 24, 2017 Marta rated it liked it
This has been helpful with classes for understanding how teaching and learning language works, but it is a bit heavy sometimes.
Ken
May 19, 2015 Ken marked it as to-read
i need explanation about speaking
Ramy Hasan
Dec 10, 2014 Ramy Hasan rated it it was amazing
This is an essential book for any language teacher to better understand the language teaching paradox.
Said Nazari
Apr 21, 2015 Said Nazari rated it it was amazing
great ! The best book for language teachers
Stephanie
May 18, 2008 Stephanie is currently reading it
Every word of this book is essential...and understandable:-) it is a must-read for anyone going in to education
Hossein Kaviani
Oh my! This book is a necessary one, UNFORTUNATELY!
Lukluk Mufattahah
Jul 26, 2011 Lukluk Mufattahah rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
i need this book for my paper.. ^_^
Betsy
Jan 19, 2009 Betsy added it
Actually a pretty easy read, for a textbook. Nice examples and real world classroom applications.
Toofan
Useless chunks of text are filling the pages whilst there isn't enough information about the important stuff. It's more like a badly edited list of topics that should be found in a reference book on language learning and teaching. However this book, itself doesn't serve as a reference book. The brief descriptions of various concepts are simply too inadequate. It isn't of much use without reading other books or articles on each mentioned item, in parallel and on the other hand reading the related ...more
Martiwis
May 24, 2017 Martiwis rated it liked it
3.5
Ha sido una lectura muy interesante, pero la verdad es que probablemente lo hubiera entendido mejor si hubiera estado en español, ya que el lenguaje podía llegar a ser muy complicado de vez en cuando.
Qurrata Ayunin
Mar 01, 2017 Qurrata Ayunin marked it as to-read
i need for my education
Wafa K
May 16, 2016 Wafa K rated it really liked it
Shelves: school-books
It is useful for second language teaching. It consists of so many studies and methods used in a teaching environment. I would say that I enjoyed reading the first 7 chapters, but not so much the last three. I do not consider this a light read, you can't finish this in on sitting. With a fresh mind you will enjoy the first three chapters then After that it gets too heavy for the brain to follow.

This is a review a non-English native speaker.
Xiningteacher
Very good resource if you are into the theory of teaching. There is little practical use in the book for actual teachers. I think the theories could have been written in a more practical manner. I am reading a teaching theory book here in China that says the same thing, but is much easier to understand and put into practice. I will read the book again to do more of the practical exercises in the book.
Samreen Anjum
Jan 14, 2014 Samreen Anjum rated it it was amazing
NICE BOOK
Goodreads Librari...: Repeated edition with single rating 3 162 Nov 21, 2012 03:20PM
  • How Languages are Learned
  • An Introduction to Sociolinguistics
  • Approaches and Methods in Language Teaching (Cambridge Language Teaching Library)
  • Reading, Writing and Learning in ESL: A Resource Book for Teaching K-12 English Learners [with MyEducationLab]
  • Language: Its Structure and Use
  • Grammar Practice Activities: A Practical Guide for Teachers
  • Techniques and Principles in Language Teaching
  • Second Language Acquisition: An Introductory Course
  • Contemporary Linguistics: An Introduction
  • Learning Vocabulary in Another Language
  • Teaching English as a Second or Foreign Language
  • Learning Teaching (Macmillan Books for Teachers)
  • Introducing Second Language Acquisition
  • Patterns In The Mind: Language And Human Nature
  • Authentic Assessment for English Language Learners: Practical Approaches for Teachers
  • An Introduction to Language
  • The Elements of Language Curriculum: A Systematic Approach to Program Development
  • How to Teach Grammar