Start by marking “Principles of Language Learning and Teaching” as Want to Read:
Principles of Language Learning and Teaching

Principles of Language Learning and Teaching

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  275 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Principles of Language Learning and Teaching, Fifth Edition, by H. Douglas Brown, is the classic second language acquisition text used by teacher education programs worldwide. Principles introduces key concepts through definitions of terms, thought-provoking questions, charts, and spiraling. New Classroom Connections encourage students to consider the implications of resea ...more
Paperback, Fifth Edition, 410 pages
Published June 1st 2006 by Pearson Longman (first published 1980)

To ask other readers questions about Principles of Language Learning and Teaching, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Principles of Language Learning and Teaching

Valerie
Jan 19, 2009 Valerie rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Valerie by: Dr. Vaughn
When I give it 3 stars, that does not mean that it was great reading, in this case, it is because I found it useful for teaching.
Tina
I read this to take the ESL MTEL and passed.
Steve
This was the second of two text books for my Theories of Teaching English as a Second/Foreign Language (TESL/TEFL) class at Northeastern Illinois University (NEIU) during the fall of 2011. This was really a text book While it was clear, it wasn't deep and it read like a text trying to summarize things. I'd recommend it for one who wanted to gain a general idea about things.

The author of the text is a faculty member at San Francisco State University. I actually applied for a job there in their p
Ariel
Sep 19, 2011 Ariel added it
great
Hessam
This book covers almost a comprehenive aspect of language teaching from Language teaching methods to the learner's individual differences. Brown in this book has taken a down to earth strategy and the concepts are easy to grasp. I recommend this book to those who would like to take a Language teaching career in the future.
Patricia Graham
I have read this once, but I figured since I have comps this Dec., I should re-read again-- still boring as hell
Sahar
Oct 16, 2009 Sahar is currently reading it
I am starting to like Douglas Brown! ;))
Faeze
unique in approach & necessary to read!
Angelytha Tata
Jan 19, 2013 Angelytha Tata marked it as to-read
good book
Budi Kurniawan
Finally finished. This is probably the most thorough book about language learning and teaching. Every aspects, factors that influence SLA are discussed. What's interesting is how the book concludes with a form of theory of SLA, but in the end it also states that language teaching is a journey, which often relies on our intuition.
Adam Tervort
Like many others, I read this book in connection with a TESOL/EFL class. The writing style is easy to read, Brown has a delightful tone, and he plows through mountains of research so that it is easy to digest and (hopefully) use in your teaching. Highly recommended!
Mehrnaz
This was the book I read thoroughly once I was getting my EFL certificate from Cavendish College of England. Now I would like to re-read parts of it to help me in writing my own book.
Stephanie
May 18, 2008 Stephanie is currently reading it
Every word of this book is essential...and understandable:-) it is a must-read for anyone going in to education
Betsy
Apr 17, 2009 Betsy added it
Actually a pretty easy read, for a textbook. Nice examples and real world classroom applications.
Hossein Kaviani
Oh my! This book is a necessary one, UNFORTUNATELY!
Lukluk Mufattahah
i need this book for my paper.. ^_^
Joecolelife
Jul 11, 2011 Joecolelife rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Joecolelife by: www.CocoMartini.com
Mr. "Berlitz pro-teacher['s]" review is a perfect example of why students who want to go into language teaching/education need to have at least a solid working knowledge of theory and research in second language acquisition. As I tell my graduate students, intuition and "experience" are certainly important things but effective teaching can only happen if instructors are able to make sound informed decisions that are based on what we know about how languages are acquired in the first place. As a ...more
Matthew
Absolutely the best overview available. A newer edition (from 2013 or 2014) is out now. Indispensable. I enjoyed this edition so much, I will probably go out and buy the newer version when I see it.
Meriem
Mar 16, 2014 Meriem is currently reading it
information gap activity
Anna Miller
I have not read it yet.
Marcella
What a great book!
Read for Principles and Theories of Teaching ESL course. Integrates A LOT of scholarship into a useful summary.
Kitty Hallin
Lots of information but written in a thoroughly dry and boring manner
Said
Said marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
Marwane Majioui
Marwane Majioui marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
Goodreads Librari...: Repeated edition with single rating 3 161 Nov 21, 2012 03:20PM
  • How Languages Are Learned
  • Approaches and Methods in Language Teaching (Cambridge Language Teaching Library)
  • An Introduction to Sociolinguistics
  • Language: Its Structure and Use
  • Techniques and Principles in Language Teaching
  • An Introduction to Language
  • Learning Teaching (Macmillan Books for Teachers)
  • Teaching English as a Second or Foreign Language
  • Contemporary Linguistics: An Introduction
  • The Practice of English Language Teaching
  • A History of the English Language
  • Dying Words: Endangered Languages and What They Have to Tell Us
Teaching by Principles: An Interactive Approach to Language Pedagogy Language Assessment - Principles and Classroom Practices Breaking the Language Barrier: Creating Your Own Pathway to Success Strategies for Success A Practical Guide to Language Learning