Start by marking “On Talking Terms with Dogs: Calming Signals” as Want to Read:
On Talking Terms with Dogs: Calming Signals

On Talking Terms with Dogs: Calming Signals

4.23  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,504 Ratings  ·  100 Reviews
One of our all time best selling books is now in its second edition with three additional chapters, color photos and descriptive captions. Turid Rugaas is a noted expert on canine body language, notably "calming signals" which are signals dogs give to other dogs and humans to denote stress and to attempt defuse situations that otherwise might result in fights or aggression ...more
Published December 1st 2005 by Dogwise Publishing (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about On Talking Terms with Dogs, please sign up.

Ryan It's been a little while since I read this but it isn't really a step by step guide for implementing the knowledge but rather a small booklet that…moreIt's been a little while since I read this but it isn't really a step by step guide for implementing the knowledge but rather a small booklet that explains methods and some of the logic behind them. I found the information to be valuable and there are suggestions within on how to use it but it is largely up to you to recognize and apply the concepts yourself. The information is clear and pictures are used to demonstrate... I'd say that it is easy to follow and understand. (less)
Until Tuesday by Luis Carlos MontalvánA Dog's Purpose by W. Bruce CameronMarley and Me by John GroganThe Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth SteinThe Call of the Wild by Jack London
Top Dog Reads
232nd out of 392 books — 531 voters
The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth SteinDog-Ma, the Zen of Slobber by Barbara Boswell BrunnerMarley and Me by John GroganA Dog's Purpose by W. Bruce CameronScent of the Missing by Susannah Charleson
Dog Lovers List
195th out of 238 books — 208 voters

More lists with this book...

María Paz Greene
A mí me gustan mucho los animales, pero le tengo miedo a los perrines desde que uno me mordió cuando era chica. No es un miedo corrosivo, y puedo ir sola por la calle sin despertar la animadversión de nuevos perrines, gracias a que alguna vez leí que era mi propia agitación la que podía asustarlos, y a que desde entonces cuido mucho mi postura física, y lo que expreso con ella.

Este librito fue crema de cicatrización sobre aquella herida vieja (aunque todavía te juzgo, Bilbo, yo tenía solamente d
Amelia
May 09, 2012 Amelia rated it really liked it
Short and sweet, this booklet should be required reading for anyone who interacts with dogs (that's a lot of people). A big paradigm shift occurs when you start noticing the many, many times that your dog says "that makes me feel uncomfortable" or "could you please stop doing that". It's a shift away from "don't worry, he's fine" to "hey there buddy, are you okay"? We expect an awful lot of dogs, but aren't the best at listening to them and respecting their actual needs.

Though the content is ve
Lauren
Apr 18, 2010 Lauren rated it really liked it
Wow! Turid Rugaas brings a whole new perspective to dog rehabilitation. This is a must-read for EVERY dog owner. I purchased this book along with the DVD. The DVD sure helps Turid solidify her points. I have an "ambassador" dog much like Turid's that helps me rehab the rescue dogs I foster. Much of what he does she talks about in this book, and here I was thinking I was crazy (well, that's what people tell me, anyway.) If you do rescue work, you are doing a disservice to the dogs you foster (and ...more
Sarah ♥ Vutch forever ♥
Aug 31, 2015 Sarah ♥ Vutch forever ♥ rated it really liked it
This is a great book and a must for every dog owner or in general people who have to deal with dogs.

Turid Rugaas describes the calming signals and gives several examples from her experience as a dog trainer.

Kerry
Jul 30, 2014 Kerry rated it really liked it
Recommended to Kerry by: Fjellanger
This was interesting. It made me feel badly about how we train Indiana, a little bit. I think that she is actually worse at interacting with other dogs than when we first got her, and I think that that is our fault: now that we know she has the capacity to get all hot & bothered, we tense up when another dog comes around, and proactively try to discipline her before she actually does something wrong. I'm trying to untrain myself and deal with the situation in other ways, because of reading t ...more
Anxo Cunningham
May 04, 2016 Anxo Cunningham rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Básico pero exhaustivo, profundo pero sin ser redundante, personal y con un montón de ejemplos. Es un libro imprescindible para cualquiera que trate con perros o al que le gusten los perros. En tan pocas páginas va a cambiar (siempre a mejor) la relación que tienes con ellos y cómo los entiendes.
Margarat
Jan 27, 2013 Margarat rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone!
Shelves: dogs
Everyone should read this book. Whether you own a dog or not, in our culture today you interact with them in either case. Having everyone learn dog calming signals would go a long way toward solving the problems that arise from people completely misunderstanding dogs, in particular reducing stress that leads to bites (which usually lead to the punishment or death of the dog). Turid Rugaas offers truly groundbreaking information and allows us a window on dog social behavior as well as the epiphan ...more
Lisagarden
I found this book so helpful for my "reactive dog". Instead of barking constantly she slowly began to look to me more to "check in"& I was able to tap into my canine self and communicate. Fun -especially when using the "yawn" technique. Try it out! Author has a good online site with basic info. I got the DVD which is helpful. Now I look for cues & have a new way to observe & interact with dogs. Woof! There is an interesting explination about Pitbulls, how the common language of dog c ...more
Nan St.Michael
Jun 27, 2015 Nan St.Michael rated it it was amazing
I love the author's peaceful approach to working and living with dogs, a very understanding and common sense way to be with dogs. Turid's explanation of why dogs become shy or aggressive is very insightful. She explains that it is stress and goes on to explain why dogs get stressed, the signs of a stressed dog and how to calm a dog using a dogs own calming methods. She also explains why and how some dogs have forgotten their own language and how to help them remember it.
I have a rescued adult d
Sara
Nov 12, 2012 Sara rated it it was amazing
This is a very informative little book. Turid Rugaas really knows dogs and what their bodies are telling us and other dogs. I highly recommend this to anyone who owns a dog, or who is around dogs. It really opened my eyes to some behaviors that I've noticed but never gone the next step to understand what they really mean.
Adding her other books to my list!!
Sparrow Knight
Jan 10, 2015 Sparrow Knight rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-y, animals
I grew up w/dogs, my mom showed dogs, my dogs were always remarked upon as being well-behaved. And yet, after watching the DVD & reading this book, I realized I knew very little about what the dogs were trying to tell me. The information in this & Sarah Kalnjas's DVD has revolutionized my training techniques, helping me to be a much more subtle & effective trainer. Being better able to read the dog's side of the conversation, combined w/clicker training, has made me a much better tra ...more
Nicholas
Jul 20, 2014 Nicholas rated it liked it
Clever and insightful book on the body language of dogs and the subtle signals they send to each other. I have an Aussie mix who's sensitive to loud noises, including raised voices, and a Husky mix that is leash aggressive. In both cases, I can see the anxiety in their behavior when thrust into situations they do not like. Unfortunately, those situations are unavoidable and I picked up this book to try and help soothe their distress and help them live longer more relaxed lives.

Rugaas has a lifet
Gwen Nicodemus
Feb 24, 2013 Gwen Nicodemus rated it it was amazing
Our leader talked about calm signals, stressed signals, and calming signals from dogs. I wanted this magical information to sink in more, so I did some searching and found On Talking Terms with Dogs: Calming Signals.

My biggest problem with the book is that it's Topaz at Amazon and I couldn't crack the DRM. I almost returned it. I have a general rule of returning any books I can't crack the DRM on. If I pay ten bucks for a book, I should be able to read it on my nook, ipad, phone, sony, computer,
K.m.
May 22, 2015 K.m. rated it really liked it
Shelves: guide, wild-things
Turid Rugaas is my new hero. An excellent, brief resource on how to understand some of your dog's signals and communicate in kind. The core of her training philosophy is that we have a choice in our behavior towards our dogs, either to have a friendly relationship or a threatening one. It comes down to learning what your dog is communicating and responding to their needs, like a benevolent parent.
Brenda
Mar 23, 2014 Brenda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Turrid Rugaas is very insightful!

This book can be a lifesaver, it definitely helped me better understand a dog's simple body language I would often take in as non significant. It is a must read for anyone who is getting a dog, has one already our works with dogs, it will definitely make a difference in how you interact with dogs, in a much more appreciative way of their calming signals.
Adam Frizzell
Feb 25, 2014 Adam Frizzell rated it really liked it
A great read for what it is (at 78 pages, I'll call it a "booklet"). The author does a great job at highlighting the various body language cues our dogs convey to other dogs and even us. The author invites the reader to understand these signals and "let your dog know you understand." Looking forward to watching my dog and having a better understanding of what she is feeling.
Kelly
Feb 16, 2014 Kelly rated it really liked it
I finished this book in one night, as I found it very accessible and enlightening. I haven't tried out the calming techniques much on Stotinki yet, so I only gave this book four stars. I am jazzed to connect more deeply with my dog and hopefully, minimize her stress and anxiety. Maybe one day we can even play peacefully at the dog park.
Cherise
Jan 18, 2014 Cherise rated it liked it
While this book is not a dog training book , it takes an entirely different approach to communicating with dog's than say Ceasar Millan's philosophy . However They both recognize the importance of humans needing to learn the body language and facial expressions of their canine companions .
This is more of a human training book on how to have non verbal conversations with the dogs you encounter .

I'm excited to try the techniques demonstrated in this short book and see if I notice any difference
Judith Stich
Feb 13, 2016 Judith Stich rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Looking at behavior from a dog's perspective.

The author described several ways in which a dog will try to avoid a bad situation with another dog by relating real life scenarios that we can all identify with and watch for with our own dogs. I thought her observations were very helpful.
Sue
Apr 15, 2016 Sue rated it really liked it
This book was recommended to me by our dog's trainers. It is a short but powerful book about the ways dogs communicate, and the signals they give off to show that they are either uncomfortable or non-threatening. Definitely going to bring these signals into working with and reading my dog.
Babble
Sep 28, 2013 Babble rated it really liked it
A short snappy book that makes a lasting impression; we're not communicating very well with our puppies, not at all. We don't understand their language or even notice they're speaking, and we don't even try to read their signals. Our dogs are speaking to us all the time, letting us know when they are overwhelmed or uncomfortable, trying to keep us calm - showing us how to have polite dog / human interactions.

People as the dominant species we are, seem to think everything should speak our langua
LizG
Jul 07, 2014 LizG rated it it was amazing
This book offers great insight into reading canine body language. I'd never heard of "calming signals" before or noticed them for what they are, until I read this book. Excellent information and another valuable piece of the puzzle when it comes to understanding dog behaviour.
Caralee
Feb 19, 2010 Caralee rated it it was amazing
The premise of this book is that dogs use certain body language to calm themselves, other dogs, and their owners down in periods of high stress. After reading this book, I found some of the information valuable. I've watched my dog at times I could tell she was stressed and lo and behold, there were calming signals. Unfortunately, what I wanted was to learn some calming signals to convey to her when I know she's scared or stressed. The book offers suggestions, but does not make it clear how the ...more
Lorraine Bailey
Feb 29, 2016 Lorraine Bailey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My a-ha book

Being new to the dog training world I knew I was missing something about what my dogs were trying to tell me. Now I understand better. There is much more to learn but this book has answered a lot of questions.
Melissa
Nov 07, 2015 Melissa rated it liked it
My dog has a docked tail and uses his ears to indicate contradictory emotions. This book was good to help me figure out what to watch for to avoid aggressive outbursts. Now I just need my whole family to read it so I'm not the only line of defense.
Tim Carter
Dec 30, 2013 Tim Carter rated it really liked it
The shelf "read" is a bit exaggerative for this book, as there isn't that much to read. But that isn't the purpose of a book on calming signals, the purpose is to show them, and this the book does well (and I actively recommend it on our site for this purpose).
However, I can't give it 5 stars because it's missing a LOT of info, not least on calming signals that we humans can use towards dogs, and about the fact that calming signals are just a subset of Sedatives - many of which are not a signal
Donna
Jan 29, 2016 Donna rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dog
Excellent book on dog communication and posture. You will be able to work with dogs and understand them so much better after reading this accessible book.
Helena
Jan 31, 2015 Helena rated it it was amazing
After reading this book, it is so much easier to decode both my dog and dogs I meet. I thought I knew a lot, but this book has vastly improved my knowledge.
Jen
Jul 05, 2016 Jen rated it it was amazing
This book should be mandatory reading for all dog owners. Being able to understand a dog's language makes us smarter and safer owners.
Outa
Apr 17, 2015 Outa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kirja oli kiinnostava ja antoi ajateltavaa. Oli vain harmillisen lyhyt. Olisin voinut enemmänkin lukea aiheesta, tuntui vähän pintaraapaisulta.
  • The Culture Clash
  • Canine Body Language: A Photographic Guide Interpreting the Native Language of the Domestic Dog
  • The Power of Positive Dog Training
  • Control Unleashed:  Creating a Focused and Confident Dog
  • The Cautious Canine-How to Help Dogs Conquer Their Fears
  • Click to Calm: Healing the Aggressive Dog
  • Bones Would Rain from the Sky: Deepening Our Relationships with Dogs
  • Don't Shoot the Dog!: The New Art of Teaching and Training
  • Feeling Outnumbered?: How to Manage and Enjoy Your Multi-Dog Household
  • How To Speak Dog: Mastering the Art of Dog-Human Communication
  • Excel-Erated Learning: Explaining in Plain English How Dogs Learn and How Best to Teach Them
  • When Pigs Fly: Training Success with Impossible Dogs
  • Behavior Adjustment Training: BAT for Fear, Frustration, and Aggression in Dogs
  • Dogs: A Startling New Understanding of Canine Origin, Behavior & Evolution
Turid Rugaas is an internationally renowned trainer and writer who has devoted her life to dogs, their behavior and their well-being.

The Norwegian dog trainer has worked with dogs for many years and studied the body language of dogs for more than a decade. After a project where Turid and a colleague observed dogs carefully, recording their behaviour on video and in photographs, she became well-kno
More about Turid Rugaas...