Start by marking “Murder In Coweta County” as Want to Read:
Murder In Coweta County

Murder In Coweta County

"This is a great book about a great American hero. It was my privilege to portray Sheriff Lamar Potts in the movie Murder in Coweta County." -Johnny Cash"A thrilling experience for me." -Andy Griffith"One of the best crime trial recreations ever written." -Chicago Sun-TimesMurder in Coweta County received the coveted Edgar Allan Poe Special Award as an outstanding fact-cri ...more
Published (first published March 1st 1977)

To ask other readers questions about Murder In Coweta County, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Murder In Coweta County

♥ Marlene♥
And another little jewel on my mount true crime shelves.Back when I first started true crime I bought a lot of lots on ebay. Loved it. Back then shipping costs was not so outrageous as it is now so I loved buying tons of books. As a matter of fact talking about it makes me want to buy more. You know auctions with at least 30 books or so so it is a surprise what you get?

I have read nearly all but there were a few still unread and apparently some were very good. This is one of them. Very well writ
Jan 19, 2010 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Riveting--read by car light on trip home to Colorado from Coweta County, GA. Couldn't put it down. Author (Marilyn Barnes) excells at leading reader from one chapter to the next. Believe a movie was made of story with Johnny Cash as sheriff. Very good. Good story of civil rights struggle and how it was played out so many times on so many stages. Remembered it while reading Melissa Fay Greene's Praying for Sheetrock.
Vera
Nov 23, 2015 Vera rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Last month, while helping "weed" old books from a library in Georgia, I discovered this Coweta county (GA) true story. A must read if you want to get a feel for what it was like to live (and die)in these parts of GA in the 40s.
Well written, with brutal clarity.
Donna Craig
Nov 17, 2016 Donna Craig rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I couldn't stop thinking about this book all day. It was difficult to put it down and get some sleep at night. That's pretty much the mark of a good book. This book is well-written and compelling. I highly recommend it.
Amy Ayers
Jul 20, 2013 Amy Ayers rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am a fan of true crime stories. This is well written, and riveting. I read it in a matter of a few hours.
It does help that I currently reside in the neighboring county, and am familiar with many of the names and places, but the book would have been great without the familiarity.
Maria Denney
Apr 14, 2015 Maria Denney rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I did not want to put this book down partly due to the fact that my family came from this area & knew certain people in the story and because it was a very good book! This is a true crime story that is very well written.
Bird4416
Jan 02, 2010 Bird4416 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved the book. My grandfather served on the jury so I have a little background knowledge of the story.
Malvina
May 01, 2015 Malvina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Discovered this on recommendation from my tour lecturer as I visited Georgia, USA. Several others on tour also started reading the book - and it gripped us all. Somewhat eerie to be reading this heinous 1948 true crime in the state where it was committed. John Wallace from Meriwether County, GA, chased one of his poor tenant farmers across the county border (into Sheriff Lamar Potts' Coweta County) and killed him deliberately and violently in front of eight witnesses. Such was Wallace's arroganc ...more
Teresa Parker
Aug 02, 2015 Teresa Parker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I live in Coweta County and to this day this event is still talked about. A couple of weeks ago there was a meeting where you could meet the director and producer of this book and many people brought items they had either been handed down or was save from the movie. John Wallace's Bible, watch, a homemade tie made by his wife and a journal he kept were on display, along with enlarged news print of filming of the movie.

It is a very interesting book and well written, some say some of the facts ar
Wendy
Oct 15, 2007 Wendy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Georgia History buffs
This is a well-done look at an infamous murder and its aftermath in 1940s Georgia. It both documents the events surrounding the murder of William "Wilson" Turner and illuminates the stark contrasts between one of Georgia's real-life heroes, Sheriff Lamar Potts, and one of its most evil villains, John Wallace. As is usually the case, the book is much better than the movie, although I must say that Andy Griffith (yes, you heard right) is bone-chilling as Wallace. Read the book, but don't worry abo ...more
Nikki Hickman
Jan 20, 2016 Nikki Hickman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well written and detailed. Adding to the quality of this book my family is from this area, and actually kept newspaper clippings, which only ed to the intrigue. I have heard this story told time and time again, never knowing there was a book until a few years ago. If you are into crime stories you will not put this down.
Fishface
A wonderful read. The author strikes the perfect balance: she gives you the complete story, but doesn't bore you to death with every detail and curlicue of the case. There are many more interesting aspects in here than you ever got to hear about in the movie version, but I also highly recommend the movie.
Catherine
Mar 27, 2009 Catherine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is very organized and well written. It is the true story of justice in the South and the men involved in finding and trying a brutal, but powerful man for murder. I really enjoyed it.
Janis Turner
Sep 17, 2015 Janis Turner rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A good read, hard to believe mankind can be so cruel!! Enjoyed the Coweta courthouse tour!! Thanks Laura!!!
Renee
Feb 20, 2009 Renee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a true story of a crime that occurred in my home town.
Lee
Jul 15, 2011 Lee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow I had no clue that a real good friend of my husband's family father is in this book several times. Learn something new everyday.
Luke Young
Luke Young rated it it was amazing
Jan 21, 2015
D Andrews
D Andrews rated it liked it
Jun 21, 2009
Nicole
Nicole rated it really liked it
Dec 25, 2015
Cheryl
Cheryl rated it it was amazing
Feb 22, 2010
Judy Beckert-jones
Judy Beckert-jones rated it it was amazing
Jan 08, 2014
Joshua
Joshua rated it really liked it
Oct 19, 2012
Emily
Emily rated it liked it
Jan 09, 2013
Ros
Ros rated it it was amazing
Sep 01, 2012
Delana
Delana rated it liked it
Dec 29, 2010
Brook Buckelew
Brook Buckelew rated it it was amazing
Jun 09, 2010
Erin
Erin rated it really liked it
Apr 30, 2013
Nicole
Nicole rated it it was amazing
May 03, 2013
  • Hot Fudge Sundae Blues: A Novel
  • Livin' in High Cotton
  • The Year the Lights Came on
  • Within the Plantation Household: Black and White Women of the Old South
  • And the Dead Shall Rise: The Murder of Mary Phagan and the Lynching of Leo Frank
  • The Leap: How 3 Simple Changes Can Propel Your Career from Good to Great