Start by marking “Contemporary Iraqi Fiction: An Anthology” as Want to Read:
Contemporary Iraqi Fiction: An Anthology

Contemporary Iraqi Fiction: An Anthology

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  21 ratings  ·  8 reviews
The first anthology of its kind in the West, Contemporary Iraqi Fiction gathers work from sixteen Iraqi writers, all translated from Arabic into English. Shedding a bright light on the rich diversity of Iraqi experience, Shakir Mustafa has included selections by Iraqi women, Iraqi Jews now living in Israel, and Christians and Muslims living both in Iraq and abroad.

Published May 1st 2008 by Syracuse University Press

To ask other readers questions about Contemporary Iraqi Fiction, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Contemporary Iraqi Fiction

One has to approach a literary tradition so dramatically different--and older--as the Arabic one judiciously. We tend to view Arab culture (when we look at it at all) through the prism of the West's preconceptions--which is to say, homogeneous and ossified, if not hostile. Shakir Mustafa's anthology eloquently rebuts those presumptions. It is diverse, representing Iraqis both at home and in exile, and including a fair number of women, and Jewish and Kurdish writers. The themes range from fantasy ...more
I really liked this book very much and I would recommend it to anyone, even if they're not interested in Iraqi fiction in particular. The introductions to each author and their stories are great because you get to know a little bit about them and how, though their common home is Iraq, their various experiences and histories have influenced how they remember and represent Iraq in their own stories. I also really appreciate how Shakir has selected excerpts from a varied range of authors- he has in ...more
Some really lovely stuff here. None of the stories are long, many of them are heartbreakingly good. There's a very short one, "Morning Exercises" by Mahdi Isa al-Saqr, which I can't get out of my head. About a couple, their young son, and the moments immediately surrounding a bombing in their city. It's simple, and not gruesome, which somehow makes it more haunting.
I never realized that Persian/Iraqi fiction was so "magical-realistic". If you like short stories, love "magical-realism" (note: some experts say there is no such thing), and want to learn more about the modern Iraqi struggle through magnificent prose-- PLEASE READ!
When it's good, it's really good. Made me feel a little disoriented; things looked bright and grainy after reading the best of these stories, which I like. I think this anthology is a good addition to any world lit course.
A collection of short stories that shows strength and depth in Iraqi writing from the 1980s to the 2000s, all translated by Shakir Mustafa. Writers worth a second look include Luftiyya al-Dulaimi and Shmuel Moreh.
A powerful collection, exhibiting the range and variety of Iraqi authors and their literary approaches and life perspectives.
I liked what I read of this but returned it to the library unfinished and will likely try again another time.
Jess marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2015
Katherine marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2015
Dave is currently reading it
Aug 19, 2015
Sincerae marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2015
Ali Badeen
Ali Badeen marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2015
Daniel Swann
Daniel Swann marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2015
An Bayat
An Bayat marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2015
Nicole marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2015
Megan Geissler
Megan Geissler marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2015
Amne marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2015
Yousef marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2015
Hussain marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2015
Saz marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2014
Zahraa Habeeb
Zahraa Habeeb marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2014
Reema added it
Aug 09, 2014
أبو زرگة
أبو زرگة marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Mustafa marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
Mariam Arafat
Mariam Arafat is currently reading it
Apr 23, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Contemporary Iraqi Fiction: An Anthology (Middle East Literature in Translation) A Century of Irish Drama: Widening the Stage National Geographic Countries of the World: Iraq