Start by marking “Motown and Didi (Polk Street Special)” as Want to Read:
Motown and Didi (Polk Street Special)

Motown and Didi (Polk Street Special)

3.86  ·  Rating Details  ·  94 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Motown lives in a burned-out building one floor above the rats, searching out jobs every day, working his muscles every night, keeping strong, surviving. Didi lives in her cool dream bubble, untouched by the Harlem heat that beats down on her brother until only drugs can soothe him. Didi escapes, without needles, in her tidy plans and stainless visions, etchings of ivycove ...more
Published September 1st 1987 by Laurel Leaf (first published October 15th 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Motown and Didi, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Motown and Didi

Monster by Walter Dean MyersFallen Angels by Walter Dean MyersStreet Love by Walter Dean MyersScorpions by Walter Dean MyersSunrise Over Fallujah by Walter Dean Myers
Walter Dean Myers
13th out of 70 books — 28 voters
The Skin I'm In by Sharon G. FlakeCopper Sun by Sharon M. DraperThe Watsons Go to Birmingham - 1963 by Christopher Paul CurtisTears of a Tiger by Sharon M. DraperNovember Blues by Sharon M. Draper
African American Books for Teens
106th out of 215 books — 243 voters

More lists with this book...

Rhica
Mar 23, 2015 Rhica rated it really liked it
Excellent book. A realistic look into how the streets of Harlem can be a dangerous and dream-filled place made up of all sorts on people just trying to make their way through life.
Rena
Jul 10, 2014 Rena rated it really liked it
Loved the writing and the main characters (ahh, love in the 1980s), but the ending wasn't what I wanted, which was a little too abrupt for my tastes.
 Imani ♥ ☮
Motown and Didi showed me that even in the worst of times there's still a possibility for romance. Motown is a teenage boy who stays to himself mostly. Didi is a girl who does the same thing. Fate brings them together after years of ignoring each other even though they both live in the same part of Harlem. As the book progresses, their love for each other grows as well as problems such as Didi's brother's drug problem. Even after a tragedy occurs, Didi and Motown manage to stay together. :)

Raquan
Mar 13, 2012 Raquan rated it really liked it
This is a great Walter Dean Myers Book. I relly loved the story line to it. The story line was about a Young guy living on his own name Motown,who meets a well educated girl name Didi with a brother thats a drug attack. As the the story begins Mowtown gets closer and closer to Didi in there realationship but Didi is having problems with her brother in the drug game.Didi balances the two and Mowtown is by her side during all actions. I recommend this book to all teenages.

Tanesha Fulton
Feb 08, 2011 Tanesha Fulton rated it it was amazing
this was a agreat book. bieng that didi was not poor and living with her mom who was on drugs, you never thought that she would find true love. until she almost got raped, and beat up by the guys that he brother hung out with. because she was a snitch. until motown happen to come along and see what was going on and saved her. motown was a person who stayed in an abandoned building but no one knew it cause he always hid. this is a great book!!!!!
Raquan
Mar 06, 2012 Raquan rated it really liked it
Yoonmee
I'm giving this 3 stars because it's pretty good but if I could, I'd give it 2.5 stars. Sadly, Motown and Didi doesn't live up to Myers' Fallen Angels, not even close.
elissa
Feb 07, 2008 elissa rated it really liked it
I think this was the first Myers that I read, and I read it during my first year as a YA librarian. I know it's mainly a love story, but I can't remember the ending.
fabiola sully
young readers and adults will enjoy this. he was the first author that got me into reading.
Yesenia
Oct 19, 2011 Yesenia rated it it was amazing
I Thought This Was A Really Really Good Book I Enjoyed Reading It .
Raven
Jun 03, 2008 Raven rated it it was amazing
loved it!!! rad it you will too
Shercole
Feb 14, 2010 Shercole rated it it was amazing
I truly love this book!!!!
Jay
Jay marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2016
Tyra
Tyra rated it liked it
Feb 06, 2016
Kristin
Kristin marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2016
Neatia Camille
Neatia Camille marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2016
Felicia
Felicia marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2016
Yasha
Yasha rated it it was amazing
Jan 01, 2016
Brion Miller
Brion Miller marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2015
Charisse Jordan
Charisse Jordan marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2015
Brooke
Brooke rated it did not like it
Oct 15, 2015
Nora Charles
Nora Charles rated it liked it
Oct 13, 2015
Madison
Madison marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2015
A. Kuhlii
A. Kuhlii marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2015
LORRAINE
LORRAINE marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2015
Danielle Wood
Danielle Wood marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2015
James Nash
James Nash rated it it was amazing
Jul 23, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
pseudonyms:
Stacie Williams
Stacie Johnson

Walter Dean Myers was born on August 12, 1937 in Martinsburg, West Virginia but moved to Harlem with his foster parents at age three. He was brought up and went to public school there. He attended Stuyvesant High School until the age of seventeen when he joined the army.

After serving four years in the army, he worked at various jobs and earned a BA from Empi
More about Walter Dean Myers...