Organizing Solutions for People With Attention Deficit Disorder: Tips and Tools to Help You Take Charge of Your Life and Get Organized

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  193 ratings  ·  51 reviews
ADD, Attention Deficit Disorder and ADHD, Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, are prevalent in society today, afflicting about 4.4% of the adult population, which is over 13 million Americans. Four out of every five adults do not even know they are ADD, and while it is often difficult to differentiate adults with true ADD from adults who are merely forgetful and diso...more
Published December 1st 2006 by Fair Winds Press (first published January 1st 2006)

Mariam
Somehow, I missed the subtitle: "for people with Attention Deficit Disorder," when I bought this book more than a year ago. Consequently, I never tried reading it. Last night while going through one of my shelves, I picked it up and began browsing through the pages. To my amazement, this book is exactly what I NEED!
Rebecca
So I didn't realize, when I picked this book up at the library, that it is for people with ADD. So imagine my initial skepticism, then alarm, then giddy delight at seeing my very house-- nay, my very SELF-- described on every page.

The utensils fornicating in the jammed drawer! The avalanche of mismatched tupperware and yogurt containers raining upon the head of any who dares open the cupboard! The stacks and duplicates of Things saved just in case!

The author's solutions are fantastically practic...more
Susan Pinsky's other book pretty much changed my organizing life and I still follow many of her principles, so I was excited to read this book, even though I don't have ADD/ADHD. In some ways, it's a shame that this book is directed toward that subset of the population, because really, it's useful for anyone desperate to stop the endless organizing that never ends up solving the problem.

I think Fast and Furious 5 Step Organizing Solution was a better book, but there are plenty of useful tips in...more
Annette
Feb 25, 2009 Annette rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone!
Recommended to Annette by: Stephanie H.
I think this woman's favorite word is PURGE!!! I really didn't think that I needed to do that much purging. We've only lived in our house about a year and half and we did a great deal of purging before we moved. I was quite surprised at how much stuff I ended up taking to the Goodwill. I went through all of my kitchen cupboards, my pantry, my bedroom closet, and the boxes and boxes of hand-me-downs stacked up in the basement. I took quite a few trips to the Goodwill and quite a few bags of trash...more
Carolynn Padgett
I read this book with the idea of finally discovering why I do things the way I do (I have ADD), and finding ways to change the way I operate, so I have more control of my life. Well, this book helps, but not that much. This author gives some good advice, such as using hooks, and not storing things behind doors or in opaque, lidded containers, but some of the rest of her suggestions just don't seem like they would work for me. Things like, "don't own more dishes than will fill your dishwasher,"...more
Vanessa
Jan 18, 2010 Vanessa rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Adults with ADD
Shelves: own
This is one of the few books of it's kind; a home organizing book for adults with ADD. I first picked this up at the library, and just had to buy it!! This book would probably also work well for people who think they are too busy or impatient with the whole organizing process and would really like to do something about it. It has a lot of photos so you can see what they're talking about. Now I know why I kept changing how my home office was organized - I just never could seem to get it manageabl...more
Elfish1
I've read a lot of books about decluttering and Susan Pinsky's books speak the loudest to the clutter in my life. I read this first as a library book, then bought my own copy. It's that good. I've since bought her new book too.

My home office has been reorganized many times over the past few years and it's never really worked over the long run. Part of that was because I was trying to organize everything I had instead of doing a lot of editing of my possessions. I also tried too hard to make ever...more
Erin
Before I met my husband, it never occurred to me that doors can double as towel racks, checkbooks can also be used as coasters, and that Tupperware lids make acceptable plates. I am a Type A neat freak who tends to hoard books, and my husband is an easily distracted I'll-clean-when-company-comes type who would rather throw things out than organize them. (Like, filing cabinets, for instance.)

So a friend of mine loaned me this book so I could come up with some compromises that would help me keep t...more
Jul 03, 2013 Jennifer rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Adults with ADD/ADHD
If you are an adult who has ADD/ADHD then I recommend you read this book. I can be difficult for many people to keep up with organizing. However, as quoted from the book "for someone with ADHD even the simplest take takes much more energy than it take for others." Another quote from the book that I feel is true is, "to shower, get dressed, and get out the door in the morning can require the kind of care and concentration that the average person expend over their entire day." I feel like the auth...more
Stacia Hehenberger
Bought this book based on a recommendation from a blog. It's not your typical organizing book- written for people who aren't inherently organized people. The focus is on function, not photo worthy spaces. Already implemented several tips. Good read for people needing real world organizing ideas.
Sheila
While many of the suggestions are very useful for the non-ADHD person to help (in my case) and ADHD kid get organized, many of the ideas are ridiculous. Limiting the number of photos you take at birthdays,(suggestion:2) etc. so there is less organizing to do seems almost cruel. The idea that a hammer and nails can create instant hanging space just made me cringe. While functionality is more important than being pretty, there are solutions (like an over-the-door hanging rack)that do not make you...more
Marissa Morrison
This is a good book overall. Some ideas are great (give each family member his/her own color of towels and his/her own laundry day, hang a long wire rack on the bathroom door, store magazines vertically in baskets and racks, put recycling bins all over the house). Some suggestions are silly--e.g. don't itemize donations because it's an inefficient use of time (I spend about 10 minutes each year on this for hundreds in tax deductions!). And some are just obnoxious (limit photos to 2 per birthday...more
Jen Long
This books is a PHENOMENAL resource for anyone with ADD/ADHD. Susan Pinsky gives excellent, practical advice and techniques that ANYONE can use on any budget and also follows up with photos.
Lisa Russell
This book had some good ideas for those of us that are ADD. Mainly it was first to purge what you don't use, then when you store it, have it out in the open where you can see it - like open shelving. I had done this with my spices - not having them hid in a cabinet but have them in a spice rack that is on the wall of my pantry. Though it may not "look" the best, it will help you function better and I have found that this is true, already doing this without knowing it was something that would ben...more
Nancy B
I'm really excited to try some of the solutions this book suggests! I'm not sure how much support I can get from my family, but even a few changes could make a big difference in our house.

A few ideas, while good in theory, strike me as impractical for our lives. For example, Pinsky encourages readers to keep only six food containers. I use more than that just packing lunches for three kids. But as I said before, even a few small changes could really help with my organizing dysfunction.
Amber
The book itself reminds me of a collection of magazine articles. Lots of photos and small blurbs amidst a larger "article". Some good suggestions to pick and choose from. As with any organizational paradigm, not everything will work for everyone.
Leslie Hickman
Some was good information, but it repeats itself over and over. It also doesn't take in affect of financial costs. Point in fact the cost of having a lawn company to mow the lawn. My yard would be over $100 a week. No offense I would love to have a lawn crew, but I live where lawn mowing is done over 1/2 the year. $2600 for lawn service or $900 for mower & gasoline a year...even if I bought a new mower every year it would be cheaper! Get realistic!
Gigi
I have a son with ADHD and so only a few chapters on bedrooms & playrooms were applicable. I thought she gave some great advice and a few things I am going to implement (removing closet doors, reduce clothes to minimum, & open shelves. IF I had ADD this book would be worth 4 stars because I could then use every section. She takes each area of the home and offers tips and solutions. She also addresses scheduling.
Rada
I thought this book was great. I liked the post it notes on the side that pulled out the main points of the page. I liked the pictures. I liked the efficiency stressed in this book. After reading it, I organized my bathroom and bedroom. I can't tell you how much more peaceful it is now. It was cathartic to throw items away or donate them. I will be applying these principles to the rest of my house.
Karen Taylor
Most useful organizing book for adults with ADHD tendencies who have no need for any treatment!
Elissa
This book had a lot of helpful hints for those with ADD and those who live with someone with ADD. Some of the tips were things that non-ADDers would not find helpful or appropriate, but are perfect for people with ADD. A lot of the stuff anyone could find helpful. Her main point was in most cases choose efficiency over pretty much everything else, including beauty.
Brianne
While I don't have ADD, my organization skills and my procrastination habits act like it. This book helps you think a little differently about what you bring in your home and what you take out. I like the little pictures and post-its throughout the book. It's definitely a take-charge kind of book that makes it seem like you're not alone in your habits.
Sheila
Amazing the difference life circumstances make. I read this book before having kids and wasn't that impressed. Read it again now, with two small children, and I loved it. Apparently having toddlers makes me susceptible to some of the same issues people with ADD have to deal with, and appreciate ideas geared toward them.
Merri Su
Some good ideas for non-ADHD folks like me who are just distracted with everything going on. I think the main premise can be summed up as "good enough is good enough" - as long as it is something that is workable and gets used, it doesn't have to be pretty. Just make sure that it's workable, and be honest about it.
If you know me, you know I am geekily addicted to editing stuff and organizing it. Now if only I could get the rest of the family on board... especially the ADD members, who were the reason I bought this book. It has great ideas for ANYONE though... especially on organizing a home office. Highly recommended.
Christina Saldivia
Feb 07, 2011 Christina Saldivia rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
This is brilliant! I never thought I could be organized at home. This book is so common sense it is for EVERYONE! For example, socks, why sort and fold them? Put them in seperate bins or drawers by color, black or white etc.. Every room is organized that way AND there are pictures...
Stephanie
One of the best organizing books I've ever read. She doesn't focus on making systems pretty, just on making them useful and efficient. I also loved this book because it doesn't recommend you go out and buy a bunch of supplies, she focuses on using what you have in the best way possible.
Alzinamae
This book has many good ideas, not just for people with ADD but for all families. I have implemented several of Pinsky's suggestions in my own home. My only disappointment in the book was the very small children's section; I would have liked to see more ideas in this area.
Beth
This book is truly worth a purchase-it inspired me to buy shelving that went over the door that covered the sink. In doing so, the vanity is no longer covered with stuff. I was also motivated to buy organizers for the insides of drawers which have helped immensely.
Sunny
I highly enjoyed the book. I don't have ADAD but my mind spins when my belongings are not stored neatly or when I have too many things. I applied many of the ideas given in the book, and my apartment would thank me for it, if it could speak! :)
  • ADD-Friendly Ways to Organize Your Life
  • The Disorganized Mind: Coaching Your ADHD Brain to Take Control of Your Time, Tasks, and Talents
  • Organizing for the Creative Person: Right-Brain Styles for Conquering Clutter, Mastering Time, and Reaching Your Goals
  • Women with Attention Deficit Disorder: Embrace Your Differences and Transform Your Life
  • You Mean I'm Not Lazy, Stupid or Crazy?! A Self-Help Book for Adults with Attention Deficit Disorder
  • Delivered from Distraction: Getting the Most out of Life with Attention Deficit Disorder
  • Enough Already!: Clearing Mental Clutter to Become the Best You
  • Right-Brained Children in a Left-Brained World: Unlocking the Potential of Your ADD Child
  • Healing ADD: The Breakthrough Program That Allows You to See and Heal the 6 Types of ADD
  • Scattered: How Attention Deficit Disorder Originates and What You Can Do About It
  • When Organizing Isn't Enough: Shed Your Stuff, Change Your Life
  • Get Out of Your Mind and Into Your Life: The New Acceptance and Commitment Therapy
  • Is It You, Me, or Adult ADD? Stopping the Roller Coaster When Someone You Love Has Attention Deficit Disorder
  • Reinventing Your Life: The Breakthrough Program to End Negative Behavior...and Feel Great Again
  • One Bite at a Time: 52 Projects for Making Life Simpler