The Cow Who Fell In The Canal

The Cow Who Fell In The Canal

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  128 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Hendrika the Dutch cow is bored living on the farm. She longs to see the wondrous sites in the city, a place she has heard about from Pieter the horse. Quite by accident, her wish comes true one day when she falls into the canal and floats downstream on a raft.
Published 1991 by Mammoth (first published January 1st 1950)

To ask other readers questions about The Cow Who Fell In The Canal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cow Who Fell In The Canal

Shadow of the Moon by M.M. KayeThe Moon in The Water by Pamela BelleThe Chains of Fate by Pamela BelleGad's Hall by Norah LoftsZemindar by Valerie Fitzgerald
Best Out of Print Books
135th out of 149 books — 48 voters
Charlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteThe Giving Tree by Shel SilversteinGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisWhere the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak
Best Kids Books Ever
287th out of 609 books — 389 voters

More lists with this book...

Doria
This remains one of my most treasured childhood reads, a delightful story of a Dutch cow with an acute case of wanderlust. The illustrations are charming and depict both the countryside of Holland as well as the city of Amsterdam in marvelous detail. The story is told in simple and straightforward fashion, and is satisfying to read, even 30 years later. Highly recommended for reading aloud!
Sian Newman
An immediate hit in our family. The illustrations by Peter Spier are wonderfully detailed, complementing the story so well. I really like childrens books that are educational without even trying and this is one of them. My kids are 7 but it is suitable for all because of the simple story and beautiful illustrations.
Linda
The alternating colour/b&w pages added interest to the illustrations, and the images of Holland were fascinating (even with Dutch stereotypes for young readers). The story was nice - perhaps with a moral story that I've completely missing - not riveting - with a cow that overate and a static landscape of Dutch imagery. The kids will like the silliness of the cow drifting down the river tho so enjoy.
Danielle Chappell
I taught for a year in the Netherlands and a parent of one of my students gave me this book. I LOVE this book because it takes place in the village where I lived and reminds me of the quirky culture of the Dutch and the many fond memories I have of the people that I met there. It's a great book that is great for small children!

Ja, natuurlijk een goeie boek voor kinderen! Zo veel lief!
Emkoshka
A very sweet little story about an unhappy cow who longs for nothing more than to see something other the countryside, She gets her wish when she falls in a canal and ends up floating into town. This book evoked the Dutch countryside and town life perfectly; they're exactly as I remember them from my many visits to Holland over the years. Charming!
Kyrie
It was a very cute story about a cow's adventures in Holland. I liked the details in the illustrations and would like to know more about the market and other places. The cow was amusing, too.

I wouldn't have chosen it from the cover, but since it was in my book of books I need to read before I grow up, I did.
Lucy
I love peter spiers' illustrations, i love this story. it is one of my favourites from my childhood & my 2 yr old daughter loves it too! ;o)
there is possibly a moral in there somewhere, but who cares, this is what childrens' books should be!!
Katie
One of my all time favorite children's books. My mom read this to me when I was really young and I just fell in love with it. The only downside is they don't make it anymore, I had to get another copy on ebay.
Freya
A much loved (and now heavily sellotaped!) childhood book that has been passed down my siblings and was perfect as we are half Dutch. We have subsequently hunted out new copies which aren't falling apart!
Danielle
Peter loves this book at the moment. I'm not sure why, as half the pictures are black and white. He does love anything with cows, though, and there is a cow on every page. I love the pictures. :)
Gavin
Hendrika the cow's adventures in Holland. A lovely tale for children and one of the few I kept from childhood to pass on to my own children.
Jackmccullough
I could just barely tolerate repeated readings of this book when my kids were little, but there wasn't much there.
Pete
highly recommended for the urbane toddler who like cows, hats, or the low countries
Miramira Endevall
I love how many buildings in Amsterdam I could identify in the pictures. :-D
Katie
Oct 13, 2008 Katie rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Katie by: Dad liked it.
I loved the pictures but never listened to the story. It must not have rhymed.
Tanya
What fun adventures for Hendrika! I liked the illustrations too.
Mckinley
Fun to look at the pictures that accompany this fun story.
Tammy
Really fun and funny story!!
Melanie Rightmyer
Melanie Rightmyer marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Nicole
Nicole added it
Aug 02, 2014
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Me
Me added it
Jul 19, 2014
Wilma Milam
Wilma Milam marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Melanie
Melanie marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Best known for her picture books, although also the author of two young adult novels and numerous magazine and newspaper articles, some of them humorous. Krasilovsky's first two books were accepted for publication when she was nineteen and newly married. Both of them were written in response to real children. The Very Little Girl (1953) was originally a birthday card for her sister's child, and Th...more
More about Phyllis Krasilovsky...
The Man Who Didn't Wash His Dishes The Man Who Cooked For Himself The First Tulips in Holland The Very Little Girl The Man Who Entered a Contest