Start by marking “What I Do: More True Tales of Everyday Craziness” as Want to Read:
What I Do: More True Tales of Everyday Craziness

What I Do: More True Tales of Everyday Craziness

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  264 ratings  ·  14 reviews

In "What I Do: More True Tales of Everyday Craziness," the second volume of Jon Ronson's collected Guardian journalism, he hilariously demonstrates how our everyday lives are determined by the craziest thoughts and obsessions; how we spend our time believing in and getting worked up by complete nonsense. But also, as he chillingly demonstrates, there are clever people wor

Published November 2nd 2007 by Picador (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about What I Do, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What I Do

Lea
Great read, but yet another Ronson book that I feel like I've read before?! Does Ronson recycle material??

Once again, his shorter, more personal pieces don't show him in the best light -- but the longer pieces in the second half of the book are exceptional. The essay "Who Killed Richard Cullen?" is heartbreaking.
David Williams
I do hope Jon Ronson is well paid for his journalism if only to compensate his wife Elaine for his indiscreet (and hilarious) revelations of the everyday bickerings and point-scoring that punctuate their marriage and parenting. The humour of course comes partly from recognizing our own marital relations in theirs.

This collection, like the earlier 'Out of the Ordinary' has plenty of such domestic scenes, making the purchase worthy in itself, but we also have Ronson's brief and fascinating immersi
James Cridland
It's okay.

It's a collection of stuff from The Guardian, basically - like other of Ronson's books, though this one is less connected.

Ronson's rather embarrassing personal revelations make up half the book (made more embarrassing by the fact that I identified with almost all his 'odd' behaviour). The second half of the book consists of a few longer-form articles, culled from the pages of Guardian magazines.

One piece, about credit card hucksters, makes Ronson appear like a consumer affairs jounalis
Jim
I've decided that I'm making my book reviewing life easier by giving a book either one or five stars. this book gets one because about fifteen pages in and I was beginning to hate the writer as a neurotic Guardian reading liberal. Maybe you'll immediately relate to the neurotic world view that Ronson portrays but I didn't. However, I wonder if Ronson will read this review? What if he does and decides to look me up? He's a journalist, he will have methods of finding people. What if he attacks me ...more
Psychonaut
Like "Out of the Ordinary", about half of the content is found in his other books.
Kristina Pasko
I liked this even better than the first book of True Tales of Everyday Craziness. Jon depicts his day-to-day craziness with a lot more humor in this book and I had a number of laugh-out-loud, read-out-loud-to-my-confused-husband moments. In his essays on other people, such as the residents of North Pole, Alaska, I felt that he was just scratching the surface and I would have appreciated deeper digging, more insights, more background.
Caroline
An excellent book filled with wondrous humour, wacky or not, through the daily drudgeries or merely the mundane normality.

Also, a great insight to which how Credit Card Databases choose the alluringly stupid crowd to target upon their junk mails.

It ends off with an intersting perspicacity of what NLP (Neurolinguistic Programming) actually really does to manipulate a human mind.
Elizabeth Lowman
I love Jon Ronson and have loved all of his books so far. I'm only giving this 3 stars as it seems to be a 'lite' version of one of his books. Still a good read though!
Robert Thomas
I really liked the first half. The second half I really liked when I read it previously in Jon Ronson's latest book Lost At Sea.
Peter Collingridge
Fun, easy to read book about Jon Ronson's life. A couple of very interesting chapters and some slightly annoying ones.
James
Brilliant and funny. And later, terrifying when it starts talking about NLP and stuff.
Maryanne
Wasn't find of part one but the rest of the book was interesting.
Arty
Journalist in funny book shocker.
Aron Grimsson
An easy and very funny read.
Vanessa
Vanessa marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2014
Moira
Moira marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2014
NK Layne
NK Layne marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2014
Aislinn
Aislinn marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
Kacey
Kacey marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
Annie Meikle
Annie Meikle marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2014
Agne
Agne marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2014
Minnie Sinclaire
Minnie Sinclaire marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2014
Tiff Gibbo
Tiff Gibbo marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2014
  • The Man Who Saved Britain: A Personal Journey into the Disturbing World of James Bond
  • The Call of the Weird: Travels in American Subcultures
  • Don't Leave Your Friends Behind: Concrete Ways to Support Families in Social Justice Movements and Communities
  • Civil War: Avengers
  • For Richer, For Poorer: A Love Affair with Poker
  • Revolutions in Reverse: Essays on Politics, Violence, Art, and Imagination
  • McSweeney's #36
  • Against Equality: Don't Ask to Fight Their Wars
  • More Curious
  • Dangerous Families: Queer Writing on Surviving
  • Black Bodies and Quantum Cats: Tales from the Annals of Physics
  • Underground America: Narratives of Undocumented Lives (Voice of Witness)
  • Deep Green Resistance: Strategy to Save the Planet
  • The Mormon Hierarchy: Extensions of Power
  • Take Me There: Trans and Genderqueer Erotica
  • Stuff I've Been Reading
  • The Best American Essays 2010
  • Inside This Place, Not of It: Narratives from Women's Prisons
Jon Ronson is a writer and documentary film maker. His books, Them: Adventures With Extremists and The Men Who Stare At Goats were international bestsellers. The Men Who Stare At Goats was adapted into a major motion picture starring George Clooney, Ewan McGregor, Kevin Spacey and Jeff Bridges.

He's written the popular "Human Zoo" and "Out of the Ordinary" columns for The Guardian, where he still c
More about Jon Ronson...
The Psychopath Test: A Journey Through the Madness Industry Them: Adventures with Extremists The Men Who Stare at Goats Lost At Sea: The Jon Ronson Mysteries Out of the Ordinary: True Tales of Everyday Craziness