The Black Island (Tintin, #7)

The Black Island (Tintin #7)

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  5,020 ratings  ·  94 reviews
The classic graphic novel. Investigating a mysterious plane crash, Tintin discovers he's onto something big! The case leads Tintin to Scotland, where he learns of a monster that stalks a lonely island.

Published November 4th 2002 by Mammoth (first published April 15th 1937)

The Secret of the Unicorn by HergéRed Rackham's Treasure by HergéPrisoners of the Sun by HergéTintin in Tibet by HergéThe Seven Crystal Balls by Hergé
Best Tintin books
18th out of 25 books — 94 voters
Red Rackham's Treasure by HergéThe Nikopol Trilogy by Enki BilalThe Incal by Alejandro JodorowskyAsterix and the Normans by René GoscinnyAsterix in Britain by René Goscinny
Best European Graphic Novels/Comics
23rd out of 391 books — 97 voters

More lists with this book...

martinyfelix
Que bien, puedo leer un comic en alemán y entenderlo y todo. Yay!
Jake Kilroy
Honestly, Tintin is like the Archie comics with balls. It's playful and innocent, but it still includes whiskey and guns. It brings you into the era it was written and you feel like some imaginative boy in 1930s Belgium reading this at night, saying things to yourself like, "oh boy!"

Tintin and his faithful dog Snowy foil a gang of counterfeiters and they do it by car, train and plane. Tintin ends up in the hospital twice and never lets his hero boy reporter instinct keep him away from figuring o...more
Sarah Sammis
The Black Island by Georges Remi Hergé is the seventh Tintin adventure. Like The Land of Black Gold, this adventure has been updated a number of times so it's difficult to know which version exactly one has read.

An emergency landing of a small aircraft with no registration catches Tintin's attention. He quickly finds himself being shot at and then being framed for a crime. Meanwhile, a similar unregistered plane has crash landed on the Black Island in Scotland. Tintin knows he has to get their t...more
Andrea
Okay now, there are a few things that Snowy gets up to in this particular adventure that I would advice against allowing your dog to do at home or abroad! Tintin is once again investigating a suspicious incident, dealing with danger and avoiding a mess with Thomson and Thompson. I forgot how enjoyable these are to read on a summer's evening. If you want to read these with your kids, then just bring up the fact that this is the way people used to see things and be sure to let them know that not...more
Dan
The Tintin stories for anyone who has read them and understands their history can't be viewed as anything other than groundbreaking. The beginnings of these stories have been around as long as the Lord of the Rings, the illustration and environments in the Tintin books are accurate and extremely detailed. Anyone who has spent even a little time exploring Herge (Georges Remi) can see the painstaking research and adversity he worked through to compose the world around Tintin. His ideas were ahead...more
Kim
So far the best adventure in the series. Gone is the overt racism and political agendas. Here is Tintin and Snowy at their best, trying to solve a mystery. After witnessing a plane crash while out walking Tintin rushes to help only to be fired upon. So begins a chance across the English Channel through Britain to Scotland.

The main stand out in this book is the prominence of Snowy. Here he evolves from annoying follower to active adventurer, helping Tintin get out of (and sometimes into) trouble....more
Dianna Caley
Lizzy and I just finished this one. She and I are really enjoying reading the series together. This one was very humorous and particularly funny when Thompsen and Thomson accidentally commandeer a mechanic instead of a pilot to fly their plane.
Joel
May 05, 2007 Joel rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: People who love a good adventure; those who want to stay young at heart
Probably my favorite Tintin. A great story that starts with Tintin getting shot!!! Forgery, Loch Ness monsters, Scottish dialects, and I love the gorilla at the end too; Herge you crazy, crazy man.
Traveller
Reading with kids. Having fun.
David Sarkies
Apr 17, 2014 David Sarkies rated it 3 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Tintin fans
Recommended to David by: Herge
Shelves: adventure
Tintin goes to Scotland
4 February 2012

Tintin is wondering through the Belgian countryside, out for a nice leisurely stroll, when he sees a plane making an emergency landing. Being the helpful young man that he is he goes to see if he can help but is immediately shot and left for dead. However, as we have discovered, it is very hard to kill Tintin, and it turns out that the bullet only grazed him, and he decides that he must go and investigate, so he jumps on a train and travels to England after...more
Sammy
Oct 27, 2010 Sammy rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: comic
My review, as posted in Tintin Books

I seem to have a much more complex relationship with this album than many do. As a child, I never enjoyed "The Black Island" (and I read Tintin every day for a while) - in fact, it was one of a rare few albums that I didn't try and adapt into a play (pretentious child that I was). I guess I didn't appreciate the Hitchcock feeling, and I found the climax with the gorilla "silly". I suspect it is partly because, as I'm not British, this album had no special sway...more
Daniel Flores
The black island is a great book. It's not the best story of Hergé analizing all the plot, but it's really funny and really entretaining while you're reading it. The mystery of the story doesn't have a lot of sense, and Tintin moves a lot of times be simple intuition, but the books never gives up. You can see Tintin trying to catch thieves, jumping of boats, and fighting against a monkey, even though he won't win anything with all those things, but my friends: that's never boring.
James Kemp
Somehow Tintin passed me by as a kid. The books were there in my local library alongside the Asterix ones, but I never wanted to check them out and read them. No idea why that was.

However, my seven year old son did want to read them, probably because he saw the movie first. So having devoured The Secret of the Unicorn and Red Rackham's Treasure he wanted to read the rest of Tintin. So I took him to the library and we borrowed Tintin and the Black Island.

It is an entertaining and engaging story...more
Nicholas Whyte
http://nwhyte.livejournal.com/2206408.html[return][return]The Black Island is a bit of a step backwards for Tintin; he is shot and wounded ion the first page, and then chases a group of forgers to Scotland by a series of improbable incidents involving various means of transport and defeats a gorilla in a ruined castle, all the while hindered by the bungling detectives Thomson and Thompson (who in fairness get some good lines here). One wonders why anyone would go to the trouble of forging Belgia...more
Elliot
I've been reading through the Tintin books in order and I feel this one represents a big step forward. The art in this edition is a big improvement on previous issues with Herges' "Ligne claire" style really coming into it's own. Also this seems to be the first story were the plot has been thought out from beginning to end beforehand with very little of the meandering asides that characterised the earlier books.
A solid Tintin mystery. Bumbling Thompsons, curious Snowy, shady dudes hiding something and Tintin investigating a plane crash and mysterious island.
Anna
Il est particulièrement flagrant dans cet épisode que Tintin ne doit pas sa survie et sa réussite à une habileté particulière, mais à une chance monstrueuse et à la crétinerie de ses ennemis. Dans l'ensemble, l'intrigue de L'île noire est assez invraisemblable et repose surtout sur le hasard.
L'album reste cependant très agréable à lire, avec toujours ce plaisir de voyager dans le monde entier en compagnie de Tintin.
Il est aussi plein de trouvailles comiques et contient les meilleures contribut...more
wjkb
Mar 23, 2014 wjkb rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: comics
A really good Tintin book!!!
Dan Wilson
Tintin and Snowy chase mystery and danger in England and Scotland, resulting in fun reading as usual. For reading with a small kid, it is nice that the criminals in this one are counterfeiters, which is easier to explain to said kid than is the heroin smuggling featured prominently in earlier stories. On the other hand, this one has a lot of gunplay. Still, Tintin exemplifies virtue, courage, and healthy curiosity, so I'm glad my kid is a fan, and I'm enjoying reading these with him.
Catherine Woodman
'The Black Island' is a major return to form after 'The Broken Ear', and one of my very favourite Tintin adventures. Set in England and Scotland, Herge utilises a very British whimsy and deadpan surrealism to chart the the young reporter's Richard Hannay-like hunt for a shady gang of forgers and fifth columnists (the adventure was serialised in 1937) - in fact the book's tone, mixing exciting mystery and bizarre humour anticipates that quintessentially English TV series, 'The Avengers'.
Philip
The book is a mysetrious mystery to solve tin tin is a very good detective he must find out why are these mystery is so hard to solve. He must use his skills to help him will his mysterious mystery so he can solve the mystery.On the way a cute dog companys him on his journey and helps him when there is trouble. Tin Tin is smart so he is always using his mind to thinking about the mystery.Will he solve the mysterys or not.Read this book to find out it is a very good book!
Bronwen
Oct 18, 2010 Bronwen rated it 2 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Tintin completists
I do want to read the Tintin books from the beginning in order, but I happened to read this one first because we were given a copy of it when we visited a previous business contact of mine at Moulinsart in Belgium in August 2010. Unfortunately it's not one of the best Tintin stories... it's really just a long chase scene! I know some of the other stories are better, and I'll get to them eventually. (It was lovely to receive a copy of the book as gift though!)
Yves
J'ai toujours aimé cette aventure de Tintin. C'est une histoire où tout se passe rapidement et où Tintin n'a pas le temps de se reposer. Il y a quelques moments cocasses, entre autres où la roulotte dans laquelle est Tintin se détache de la voiture, lorsque Milou est saoul et les concours aérien gagné par Dupont et Dupond. Cependant, ce que j'ai aimé c'est l'histoire des faux-monnayeurs, l'histoire principale. Une bonne aventure de Tintin!
Alex O'meally
As Tintin embarks on an another adventure he stumbles over trouble, again, and almost dies. I like the Tintin books and I'm a big fan of them but Tintin always seems to be either a ninja or the guys who are shooting him are a really bad shot. I know he's the main character and everything but I actually think Tintin should die or get mortally wounded so he couldn't embark on any more adventures. I like it but it doen't deserve full marks.
Saoirse
Je me suis rendue compte que L'Ile Noire est un des album que j'ai peut-être le moins lu étant enfant alors qu'il est vraiment pas mal. L'histoire est pleine de rebondissements, très rapide, on n'a pas le temps de s'ennuyer. L'humour est bien présent, notamment avec Milou et le whisky mais aussi avec les Dupont et Dupond. Les décors écossais ne me laissant pas indifférents, je trouve ce tome vraiment très bon.
Stven
Jan 06, 2009 Stven rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: all comic fans
Shelves: widget
The Tintin series is justly regarded as one of the greats, and this early entry (first published in English in 1938, a year before the debut of Superman!) has all the fine timing, clear draftsmanship, flawless coloring, action, humor and fun we expect. The plots will get more complicated, and even more fun, as the series goes along, but this one's a page-turner in its own right and an excellent example of the form.
Mike Jensen
A Tintin book with a linear plot? Thankfully, yes. To compensate, this one has more slapstick than the others I have seen. I suspect that series fans like this. The location in the islands of Scotland. This and the air travel gives Herge the opportunity to create some really gorgeous art, as the cover illustrates. This and the fact that this book actually has a plot elevate this book for me.
Dushan
The stories of Tintin enhance the imagination of the child and the adventures of Tintin are full of humanity and ethics the gorilla is shown at the end as a sweet loving animal whose beauty appeal to the heart and mind of the reader
Denim Datta
Awesome Comics, full with adventure-comedy.
Michael
Tintin and Snowy in Scotland! Hoots, mon! The stereotyped vernacular of the locals is amusing, but then I'm not Scottish!

I like Snowy's thought bubbles - it's a pity Hergé didn't maintain them throughout the whole series. Thomson and Thompson continue to be twits!

Hergé's illustrations of the Black Island and its castle are very atmospheric; I particularly liked them.
Wrong Title Translation 1 34 Jun 13, 2007 06:58AM
  • Asterix and the Great Crossing (Asterix, #22)
  • Asterix and the Black Gold (Asterix, #26)
Georges Prosper Remi (22 May 1907 – 3 March 1983), better known by the pen name Hergé, was a Belgian comics writer and artist.
His best known and most substantial work is The Adventures of Tintin comic book series, which he wrote and illustrated from 1929 until his death in 1983, leaving the twenty-fourth Tintin adventure Tintin and Alph-Art unfinished. His work remains a strong influence on comics...more
More about Hergé...
Tintin in Tibet (Tintin, #20) Red Rackham's Treasure (Tintin, #12) Tintin in the Land of the Soviets (Tintin, #1) The Secret of the Unicorn (Tintin, #11) Cigars of the Pharaoh (Tintin, #4)