Start by marking “The Power of Body Language: How to Succeed in Every Business and Social Encounter” as Want to Read:

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  332 ratings  ·  41 reviews
Nationally renowned body language expert Tonya Reiman illuminates what until now has been a gray area in interpersonal communication: harnessing the power of your nonverbal cues to get what you want out of "every" aspect of life, from professional encounters to personal relationships.Unlike other books on this fascinating topic, "The Power of Body Language" is your practic ...more
Published November 20th 2007 by Pocket Books (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Power of Body Language, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Power of Body Language

Ashley Barbera
Pretty good... some of the body language signals she discusses are pretty obvious, but there's enough good stuff in there to make it worth reading.
Lyddie
The Power of Body Language had some useful information, and I might have bought my own copy after having borrowed it from the library, if it weren't for the author's hint of homophobia. Whenever Reiman makes a point about men specifically, it is either in relationship to their interactions with women or she specifies that she is talking about heterosexual male communication. She doesn't specify that the woman to woman communication she describes is heterosexual, so why does she need to do so eve ...more
Rebecca
Really interesting! Much of it is geared toward men & women in a dating relationship but there was a lot of valuable information for use in any situation. Since reading this, I've been much better about not backing down when someone gets in my personal space, and also more aware of fidgeting hands/feet etc and making effort to change some of my body language.
Heidi
I'm all about body language. Boy or Girl you could learn some serious tips on how to improve relationships, or read new ones...

just make sure you're balanced... not EVERYONE is the same... some people have some quirky body language :)
Amy
Mar 15, 2009 Amy added it
AWESOME! I loved this book. Fun info to use, just don't take it too seriously!!! :o)
Adam Wiggins
Great primer on body language. Some points I found useful:

- When in a social situation where you don't know anyone (like a party where whoever invited you hasn't shown up yet), make friends by approaching groups of three or more where one or more people in the group has their feet pointed away from the group. Groups that have their feet all pointed directly toward each other are deep in conversation and will be annoyed by your intrusion.

- Detect dishonesty by looking for incongruence in body lan
Chris Norton
This book goes through many different ways we communicate non verbally as human beings. From eye movements, to body posture and gestures, tonality verbal speed and pitch. It is written in language that is easy to follow and flows nicely. This book is very insightful for anyone looking to become a great communicator.
James Hatton
OK, I admit it, I used to watch Fox News, even Bill O'Reilly. The author of this book was on Fox periodically and would analyze people in the news. I was intrigued, so I bought her book. It was a fun read. I still cannot read one damn body language signal, but I can say I read this book.
Robin
After reading this book, I have a wider awareness of how to read others signals and how to make my own body language work for me. A first impression is formed in seconds and this book breaks down many of the elements that influence whether you will have a good or bad result. Tonya Reiman shares practical tips and techniques such as norming someone to determine if they are lying or being deceitful or how to know if that guy is really into you. She also outlines her "Reiman Rapport Method" which i ...more
Jeff Yoak
This is the best general-purpose book on body language that I've found.

When I got obsessively into this topic a few years ago, I consumed a large number of books ranging from the trivial and almost silly to dry, academic work. This book is appropriate to general audiences, goes into a lot of detail even citing much of the more academic work I read, offers practical advice and does it all in a very practical way. I feel sure nearly everyone can benefit from this, improving their own communication
Дени Проданова
Изключително полезна книга. Има страхотни съвети относно разчитането на езика на тялото, стига да не забравяме, че всяко правило има изключения.
Jordan Gamliel
Tonya Reiman gives an in depth comprehensive guide to help us with our non verbal communication. She provides great supporting examples of body language through photographs and detailed explanations of whats going on in our brains as well as how we are affected by the 7 universal emotions. She talks about body cues, micro expressions, vocal cues and even theories on proxemics (personal space). An easy and interesting read. I would have liked to see it come from a more forensic perspective as opp ...more
Kristi Burton
This book is about 30 percent useful/practical kind of information and the rest is for those obsessed with perfecting their every twitch and move or trying to read everyone else's which I found to be quite a headache and not so realistic in many ways. Somebody scratching their nose could mean several different things-they're anxious, depressed, sexually aroused (I'm actually making those up and not directly quoting the book but hopefully you get the idea)..After all what if they really just have ...more
Vincent Paul
Awesome. A guide to good relations with people and the world.
Carla
I would recommend this book to a person who needs to brush up on their image and body language before an important meeting or interview, but on the whole, I think most of the suggestions are things that the average person would find to be common sense. Of course, maybe I say that because I am female, and as the author mentions about 50 million times, women are better at identifying nonverbal cues than men are. Nothing really revolutionary in this book, but good stuff to know nonetheless.
Anne
I think this book is definitely worth picking up since it has a ton of information on body language interpretation. However, don’t expect to become an expert just by reading the book. It’s a good preview into the world of body language and what it can do for you, but if you really want to become a body language master, you’ll need to put more time and effort into your pursuits then just reading this book.

Check out the full review on WithoutABook.com
Apumala
Not sure if it's because I love the psychology behind EVERYTHING but I would highly recommend this book
Craig
An excellent analysis of how people use body language (consciously and unconsciously) to transmit their true thoughts and feelings. The author helps the reader to understand what others are saying through their body language and how a person can script his/her own body language (without being deceptive) to convey a more positive impression. Interesting reading.
Kurt
I didn't feel like I was learning new information. The author is too detailed on what she was explaining. She defined every single movement a person could make but didn't explain very well how it would help someone in knowing that. There were some interesting parts but it is more of a reference book than a self-help book.
Kristin
Good introductory book on body language. A lot of the information she gives is pretty basic and seemingly obvious, but I also learned a lot from the more insightful tips she offers. Worth while for day to day interactions, both in the business world and in male/female relationships. Worth the read.
Jillian
Feb 18, 2008 Jillian rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to Jillian by: Cory Clemmons-husband
Shelves: psychology
My husband bought me this book and I hate to say it but as a woman who grew up reading tons of fashion magazines on flirting, body language in interviews, etc., I found nothing in here that was new or ground-breaking info. I felt like I could have written this book.
Radu Munteanu
Tonya Reiman, expertul numarul unu din Statele Unite ale Americii in decodarea semnalelor secrete ale limbajului trupului, dezvaluie un teritoriu al comunicarii interpersonale ramas pana acum in penumbra: felul in care puteti exploata potentialul semnalel
Chaz
It started off well but the fact that this is a body language book with very few pictures made it extremely hard for me to understand what she was talking about in many cases. The Definitive Book of Body Language was much better in my opinion.
Brett Carp
Presents material that seems to be ubiquitous across most new or current body language books. The author presents only a few new concepts. It is worth a read if you're interested in depth of concepts but don't mind minimal breadth.
Tiago
I feel this is not one of the best books on Body Language, I reviewed a few here that I consider superior. It feels more like a rehash.
Promod Sharma
This book may be brilliant but I'll never know. The beginning was too boring and the content too light to maintain my interest.

When I'm slumping in my chair and yawning, my body language is saying "another book please".
Ron
Good book with lots of information and practical tips on using and understanding body language. I've read a few other books on this subject and still found this one worth the read.
Akwhepworth
Some interesting stuff, but she focused too much on the interaction between the sexes and how to build a relationship through body language, which I thought was not that interesting.
Brent
A great book. I think it will definitely help me out. My only complaint is the language used explaining lots of the sexual disparities. Just something that personally bothers me.
Phillip
Maybe it's me but I found this book pretty bad in this category of books. Some of the stuff seems so completely obvious. Go elsewhere.
  • The Nonverbal Advantage: Secrets and Science of Body Language at Work
  • You Say More Than You Think: Use the New Body Language to Get What You Want!, The 7-Day Plan
  • Winning Body Language: Control the Conversation, Command Attention, and Convey the Right Message--Without Saying a Word
  • The Smart Swarm: How Understanding Flocks, Schools, and Colonies Can Make Us Better at Communicating, Decision Making, and Getting Things Done
  • Teach Yourself Body Language
  • Happy at Last: The Thinking Person's Guide to Finding Joy
  • Self-Promotion for Introverts: The Quiet Guide to Getting Ahead
  • Career Match: Connecting Who You Are with What You'll Love to Do
  • Top Dog: The Science of Winning and Losing
  • Entering Space: Creating a Spacefaring Civilization
  • Smart Thinking: Three Essential Keys to Solve Problems, Innovate, and Get Things Done
  • The Trauma Myth: The Truth About the Sexual Abuse of Children--and Its Aftermath
  • Your Money and Your Brain
  • Making a Good Brain Great: The Amen Clinic Program for Achieving and Sustaining Optimal Mental Performance
  • The 1% Windfall: How Successful Companies Use Price to Profit and Grow
  • Body Language 101: The Ultimate Guide to Knowing When People Are Lying, How They Are Feeling, What They Are Thinking, and More
  • Buried in Treasures: Help for Compulsive Acquiring, Saving, and Hoarding
  • I Know What You're Thinking: Using the Four Codes of Reading People to Improve Your Life
The Yes Factor: Get What You Want. Say What You Mean. The Body Language of Dating: Read His Signals, Send Your Own, and Get the Guy