Start by marking “The Power of Body Language: How to Succeed in Every Business and Social Encounter” as Want to Read:

3.72  ·  Rating Details  ·  428 Ratings  ·  47 Reviews
Nationally renowned body language expert Tonya Reiman illuminates what until now has been a gray area in interpersonal communication: harnessing the power of your nonverbal cues to get what you want out of "every" aspect of life, from professional encounters to personal relationships.Unlike other books on this fascinating topic, "The Power of Body Language" is your practic ...more
Published November 20th 2007 by Pocket Books (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Power of Body Language, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Power of Body Language

Ashley Barbera
Jan 20, 2008 Ashley Barbera rated it liked it
Pretty good... some of the body language signals she discusses are pretty obvious, but there's enough good stuff in there to make it worth reading.
Adam Wiggins
Nov 18, 2013 Adam Wiggins rated it liked it
Great primer on body language. Some points I found useful:

- When in a social situation where you don't know anyone (like a party where whoever invited you hasn't shown up yet), make friends by approaching groups of three or more where one or more people in the group has their feet pointed away from the group. Groups that have their feet all pointed directly toward each other are deep in conversation and will be annoyed by your intrusion.

- Detect dishonesty by looking for incongruence in body lan
Vibha Hegde
This is one of those self help books that actually makes the reader understand certain concepts. The complete book sticks to the theme and gives few wonderful insights. There are things that I would really want to adapt from this book. The author has given detailed description for each concept and has clearly mentioned the steps to achieving it. It's definite and concise. That's what I liked the most about this book.
Lyddie
Aug 17, 2012 Lyddie rated it it was ok
The Power of Body Language had some useful information, and I might have bought my own copy after having borrowed it from the library, if it weren't for the author's hint of homophobia. Whenever Reiman makes a point about men specifically, it is either in relationship to their interactions with women or she specifies that she is talking about heterosexual male communication. She doesn't specify that the woman to woman communication she describes is heterosexual, so why does she need to do so eve ...more
Rebecca
Dec 09, 2008 Rebecca rated it really liked it
Really interesting! Much of it is geared toward men & women in a dating relationship but there was a lot of valuable information for use in any situation. Since reading this, I've been much better about not backing down when someone gets in my personal space, and also more aware of fidgeting hands/feet etc and making effort to change some of my body language.
Heidi
Jun 24, 2008 Heidi rated it it was amazing
I'm all about body language. Boy or Girl you could learn some serious tips on how to improve relationships, or read new ones...

just make sure you're balanced... not EVERYONE is the same... some people have some quirky body language :)
Amy
Mar 15, 2009 Amy added it
AWESOME! I loved this book. Fun info to use, just don't take it too seriously!!! :o)
John Johnson
Feb 24, 2016 John Johnson rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
On the cover of this book, Ms. Reiman sits awkwardly on what appears to be a director's chair. She is wearing dress slacks and an untucked business shirt with a sweater that seems to be slightly too small over it. Her smile seems forced (but that may be because of photo editing on her face). From this, I get the impression that she showed up for the photo shoot in a business suit and someone told her she looked to formal or too stuffy. That person likely took her jacket and loaned her the sweate ...more
James Hatton
Nov 29, 2014 James Hatton rated it liked it
OK, I admit it, I used to watch Fox News, even Bill O'Reilly. The author of this book was on Fox periodically and would analyze people in the news. I was intrigued, so I bought her book. It was a fun read. I still cannot read one damn body language signal, but I can say I read this book.
Robin
Aug 03, 2013 Robin rated it really liked it
After reading this book, I have a wider awareness of how to read others signals and how to make my own body language work for me. A first impression is formed in seconds and this book breaks down many of the elements that influence whether you will have a good or bad result. Tonya Reiman shares practical tips and techniques such as norming someone to determine if they are lying or being deceitful or how to know if that guy is really into you. She also outlines her "Reiman Rapport Method" which i ...more
Jeff Yoak
This is the best general-purpose book on body language that I've found.

When I got obsessively into this topic a few years ago, I consumed a large number of books ranging from the trivial and almost silly to dry, academic work. This book is appropriate to general audiences, goes into a lot of detail even citing much of the more academic work I read, offers practical advice and does it all in a very practical way. I feel sure nearly everyone can benefit from this, improving their own communication
Marti
Dec 15, 2015 Marti rated it liked it
I listened to this book and learned some interesting thing. The most interesting piece about the idea of body language was that I currently employ many of the techniques discussed in the book. Her voice was somewhat irritating.
Jordan Gamliel
Mar 23, 2013 Jordan Gamliel rated it really liked it
Tonya Reiman gives an in depth comprehensive guide to help us with our non verbal communication. She provides great supporting examples of body language through photographs and detailed explanations of whats going on in our brains as well as how we are affected by the 7 universal emotions. She talks about body cues, micro expressions, vocal cues and even theories on proxemics (personal space). An easy and interesting read. I would have liked to see it come from a more forensic perspective as opp ...more
Hannah
May 17, 2016 Hannah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This eyeopening book explores the subtle, non-verbal messages we're conveying when we speak. I had a wonderful time discovering what stories my body is telling.
Kristi Burton
Mar 05, 2012 Kristi Burton rated it liked it
This book is about 30 percent useful/practical kind of information and the rest is for those obsessed with perfecting their every twitch and move or trying to read everyone else's which I found to be quite a headache and not so realistic in many ways. Somebody scratching their nose could mean several different things-they're anxious, depressed, sexually aroused (I'm actually making those up and not directly quoting the book but hopefully you get the idea)..After all what if they really just have ...more
Vincent Paul
Dec 03, 2014 Vincent Paul rated it really liked it
Awesome. A guide to good relations with people and the world.
Carla
May 21, 2013 Carla rated it liked it
Shelves: self-help
I would recommend this book to a person who needs to brush up on their image and body language before an important meeting or interview, but on the whole, I think most of the suggestions are things that the average person would find to be common sense. Of course, maybe I say that because I am female, and as the author mentions about 50 million times, women are better at identifying nonverbal cues than men are. Nothing really revolutionary in this book, but good stuff to know nonetheless.
Christine Staszko
Jan 21, 2015 Christine Staszko rated it really liked it
I think this book is definitely worth picking up since it has a ton of information on body language interpretation. However, don’t expect to become an expert just by reading the book. It’s a good preview into the world of body language and what it can do for you, but if you really want to become a body language master, you’ll need to put more time and effort into your pursuits then just reading this book.

Check out the full review on WithoutABook.com
Apumala
Mar 25, 2014 Apumala rated it it was amazing
Not sure if it's because I love the psychology behind EVERYTHING but I would highly recommend this book
Craig
Aug 07, 2011 Craig rated it really liked it
Shelves: self-improvement
An excellent analysis of how people use body language (consciously and unconsciously) to transmit their true thoughts and feelings. The author helps the reader to understand what others are saying through their body language and how a person can script his/her own body language (without being deceptive) to convey a more positive impression. Interesting reading.
Kurt
Oct 20, 2008 Kurt rated it it was ok
I didn't feel like I was learning new information. The author is too detailed on what she was explaining. She defined every single movement a person could make but didn't explain very well how it would help someone in knowing that. There were some interesting parts but it is more of a reference book than a self-help book.
Yara
Jun 10, 2015 Yara rated it liked it
It is interesting and helpful but I think there are not enough pictures or drawings to exemplify the expressions and movements.
Chris Norton
May 18, 2015 Chris Norton rated it it was amazing
This book goes through many different ways we communicate non verbally as human beings. From eye movements, to body posture and gestures, tonality verbal speed and pitch. It is written in language that is easy to follow and flows nicely. This book is very insightful for anyone looking to become a great communicator.
Kristin
Jul 25, 2011 Kristin rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Good introductory book on body language. A lot of the information she gives is pretty basic and seemingly obvious, but I also learned a lot from the more insightful tips she offers. Worth while for day to day interactions, both in the business world and in male/female relationships. Worth the read.
Jillian
Feb 18, 2008 Jillian rated it it was ok
Recommended to Jillian by: Cory Clemmons-husband
Shelves: psychology
My husband bought me this book and I hate to say it but as a woman who grew up reading tons of fashion magazines on flirting, body language in interviews, etc., I found nothing in here that was new or ground-breaking info. I felt like I could have written this book.
Selena Stan
Good points: good structure, many useful ideas.

Bad points: mainly focused on (and applicable for) American and American-like cultures. The language itself can be distracting every now and then, if you are not a big fan of the American talking style.
Radu Munteanu
Tonya Reiman, expertul numarul unu din Statele Unite ale Americii in decodarea semnalelor secrete ale limbajului trupului, dezvaluie un teritoriu al comunicarii interpersonale ramas pana acum in penumbra: felul in care puteti exploata potentialul semnalel
Chaz
May 23, 2013 Chaz rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
It started off well but the fact that this is a body language book with very few pictures made it extremely hard for me to understand what she was talking about in many cases. The Definitive Book of Body Language was much better in my opinion.
Tiago
Mar 31, 2010 Tiago rated it liked it
I feel this is not one of the best books on Body Language, I reviewed a few here that I consider superior. It feels more like a rehash.
Promod Sharma
Dec 01, 2013 Promod Sharma rated it it was ok
This book may be brilliant but I'll never know. The beginning was too boring and the content too light to maintain my interest.

When I'm slumping in my chair and yawning, my body language is saying "another book please".
  • You Say More Than You Think: Use the New Body Language to Get What You Want!, The 7-Day Plan
  • The Nonverbal Advantage: Secrets and Science of Body Language at Work
  • Winning Body Language: Control the Conversation, Command Attention, and Convey the Right Message--Without Saying a Word
  • Teach Yourself Body Language
  • The Smart Swarm: How Understanding Flocks, Schools, and Colonies Can Make Us Better at Communicating, Decision Making, and Getting Things Done
  • Extreme Trust: Honesty as a Competitive Advantage
  • Happy at Last: The Thinking Person's Guide to Finding Joy
  • Self-Promotion for Introverts: The Quiet Guide to Getting Ahead
  • From Eden to Exile: Unraveling Mysteries of the Bible
  • The Trauma Myth: The Truth About the Sexual Abuse of Children--and Its Aftermath
  • Admired: 21 Ways to Double Your Value
  • Shine: Using Brain Science to Get the Best from Your People
  • The Twisted Sisterhood: Unraveling the Dark Legacy of Female Friendships
  • The Other Kind of Smart: Simple Ways to Boost Your Emotional Intelligence for Greater Personal Effectiveness and Success
  • Entering Space: Creating a Spacefaring Civilization
  • I Know What You're Thinking: Using the Four Codes of Reading People to Improve Your Life
  • Body Language: 7 Easy Lessons To Master The Silent Language