Start by marking “Hegira” as Want to Read:
Hegira

Hegira

3.28 of 5 stars 3.28  ·  rating details  ·  208 ratings  ·  14 reviews
The planet Hegira is the universe's melting pot. Hundreds of tribes in dozens of cities intermingle in the vast uncharted territory. The only thing holding the people together are the massive Obelisks, the chronicles of the all the truths and falsehoods each tribe has brought to Hegira. Young Bar-Woten is in search of knowledge and he knows the key to the truth about his h ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 224 pages
Published January 15th 1989 by Tor Books (first published 1953)

To ask other readers questions about Hegira, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hegira

Ron
I went into this book with low to zero expectations. That proved to be a good strategy because the rather slow start and getting to know the people and world took a little patience. This is a very early novel, possibly the first for Greg Bear. My copy of the book shows it was originally written in 1979 and revised in 1987. I read quite a bit of Greg Bear in the 1980's and a smattering in later years but never this one.

I was quite satisfied with the book by the end. This is not a book to reveal
Stuart Lutzenhiser
A good, solid work, although very early for Greg Bear. I'm not sure he had quite found his footing yet as influences from Dune and the Riverworld novels was pretty obvious. Written in 1979, it tells of 3 mens journey/quest/hegira (meaning flight or migration) from their current areas to the ends of the earth, literally. The main character Kiril is a writer who has lost his beloved and there is a prophecy that our loved ones can be returned to those who make this journey. What they find on their ...more
Jonathan Harbour
An all-time favorite (and I'm overdue for a re-read!). The story of an alien world colonized by humans whose origins are lost in myth and legend, except for the stratospheric monuments dotting the landscape. The higher you are capable of getting into the sky, the more you'll learn from the writings on the monuments. Fantastic sci-fi.
Binit
This is an interesting and rather early work by Greg Bear. The story revolves around a pilgrimage (the Hegira is the name for the journey taken by Prophet Mohammad) and ends with a rather esoteric explanation of things. The ending seems somewhat hurried though the book as whole is a good and enjoyable read.
Julie Miles
The third worst book I have ever read (Dreamweaver and Cloud Atlas are the other two). Perhaps I just had higher expectations for this author given how much I have loved his later works.
Dale
Not bad for 1979 (revised in 1987). I like the way Bear forces the reader to piece together the story. There is no elaborate description of the environment to interfere with the imagination. I'm not done with it yet.

Some things I like:
-The columns are tall and by inference, so is the environment. I imagine a Jupiter sized sphere entirely man-made with an encapsulated atmosphere.
-The variety of societal mores. Some areas are very libertine, others conservative.
-The way knowledge progresses geogra
Doug Armstrong
A well-written, entertaining adventure. If you read a lot of sci-fi there won't be anything new, but I appreciate an author who can take familiar ideas and build an engrossing novel out of them (kinda like the same author did with Eon). I read it all in a couple days as it was paced perfectly so that there weren't any boring stretches; something interesting was always happening to the three main characters.

It was a good book, definitely worth reading. It won't blow your mind or anything, but you
Laura Walton Allen
While mystery can be a good thing in science fiction, I feel like Greg Bear withheld a bit too much in this one. Too much is revealed too late, and the particulars of an otherwise intriguing futurescape feel rushed-- I didn't have time to really enjoy absorbing them, coming as late in the book as they did. I liked the characters enough to stick with it, though. All in all, it's an enjoyable read, even if it isn't one of Bear's best.
Rod Hyatt
This is a wondering story about a wondering journey. The cool sci fi stuff gets interesting at the end. I wanted there to be more at the end. He could have made the ending more fullfilling. I know that this is early work for Bear. It's got some good story telling but not the best. Still a fun mistical thriller. Bear's latter stuff, the talent in writting gets better. This was an easy fast read.
Nick
This is one of those novels where I appreciated the craftsmanship, but ended up not liking the story or the characters. Every sentence on every page felt like it was beautifully crafted, but it was like eating a vegetable you don't like, cooked perfectly.
Jason Reed
The story had a great premise and wonderful characters, but it felt too stretched out in the middle and too compressed at the end.
Larry
This was the first Bear book I read and it was so long ago I need to re-read it to refresh my memory!
Koji Mukai
I have a British edition of the book - ISBN 0575040084, VGSF mass market paperback, 222 pages.
Ian Hay
confusing as hell !
Scott Andrews
Scott Andrews marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2015
Mattie T
Mattie T marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2015
Alex Price
Alex Price marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2015
Bruno Hanquier
Bruno Hanquier marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2015
Sandy
Sandy marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2015
Ewan
Ewan marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2015
Chuck Childers
Chuck Childers marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2015
Mark
Mark marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2015
  • If the Stars Are Gods
  • Satan's World
  • The Seedling Stars
  • Earthclan
  • Transfigurations
  • The Smoke Ring (The State, #3)
  • Rogue Ship
  • Alliance Space (Alliance-Union Universe)
  • The Godwhale
  • Who?
  • Thorns
  • The Paradox Men
  • The Locus Awards: Thirty Years of the Best in Science Fiction and Fantasy
Greg Bear is one of the world's leading hard SF authors. He sold his first short story, at the age of fifteen, to Robert Lowndes's Famous Science Fiction.

A full-time writer, he lives in Washington State with his family. He is married to Astrid Anderson Bear. He is the son-in-law of Poul Anderson. They are the parents of two children, Erik and Alexandra.

More about Greg Bear...
Foundation and Chaos (Second Foundation Trilogy, #2) Eon (The Way, #1) The Forge of God (Forge of God, #1) Darwin's Radio (Darwin's Radio #1) Blood Music