Start by marking “Common Nonsense” as Want to Read:
Common Nonsense

Common Nonsense

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  170 ratings  ·  14 reviews
"Andy Rooney's Sunday evening observations on 60 Minutes are an American institution, shaping the way people see everything from coffee percolators to the state of the nation."
Published October 16th 2003 by PublicAffairs (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Common Nonsense, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Common Nonsense

The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen R. CoveyA Cancer Prevention Guide for the Human Race by Robert A. WascherThe Possessed by Elif BatumanMy Name is Joe by Stefan BourqueCommon Nonsense by Andy Rooney
Book I would give to someone else
5th out of 22 books — 4 voters
The Help by Kathryn StockettThe Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth SteinExtremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran FoerLone Wolf by Jodi PicoultThe Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
Books I want to read in 2012
250th out of 432 books — 359 voters

More lists with this book...

Emmanuel
Rooney composes his essays on minor and negligible things of life. Things that writers and journalists often find it boring to write about or they do not know how to write about those matters. Rooney not only writes about them but also make it a pleasant experience for readers of his books. The subject of his essays could be anything from car parking problem to Christmas tree. And he calls all of this "Common Nonsense".

Veach Glines
I can take five minutes of Andy Rooney and not be too bothered by his crotchety befuddlement. These 150+ essays, however, are redundantly crammed with balderdash and misspellings (which made it through spell-check, but were—obviously—never eyeballed). One strikingly obtuse slice of balderdash, which he repeats at least twice: ...more people are alive today than all the people who ever lived..., caused me to become a fact-checker. I found some plausible semi-science by using the keywords: number-...more
Keli Wright
I used to love Andy Rooney on 60 minutes I always watched that before "The Amazing Race" this book was a little much for me.. a little too much of the same thing.. and I was bored by a lot of parts of it.. Let's just say that for me.. a little bit of Andy Rooney goes A LONG WAY...
Mary Blye
Andy Rooney was one of a kind. Loved him and loved this boom
Maurean
A collection of essays touching on all sorts of topics - from airlines, to Miss America; from handwriting to September 11th - examined as only Mr. Rooney can.

An enjoyable read. I like Mr. Rooney's ruminations, and while I don't always agree with his drawn conclusions, he always gives an interesting point of view to ponder.
Mary
I do enjoy Andy Rooney's musings, but a little of these go a long way. Some of the short essays are outdated a little, but you still 'get it'. Easy to read a little and put down; mildly thought-provoking, and I love the title.
Nathaniel
Here is a book that will make you think, reconsider, and laugh out loud. It's a book everyone should read to remember the little things in life that go unnoticed or disregarded.
Sarah Wilson
Overall funny. However, I did find it a little challenging to sit with Andy Rooney's sarcasm for long periods of time. Book best taken in "small doses" :)
James
I apologize for the following language and tone of dismissiveness, but this is the worst fucking thing ever written by anybody ever. And I only read 30 pages.
Ben
Hear the big 60 minute man himself complain about all sorts of stuff. You've gotta love his observations and ability to say what he thinks
Jeanne Truesdell
Small 60 Minutes like vignettes, I could hear his voice in my head as I read.
Andrew
Typical rants by Andy Rooney. I didn't think this was his best work.
K-tron
this old fart really made me laugh
Maura
Let me preface this by saying that I NEVER fail to finish books I start. Having said that, I completely gave up on this book. From the very beginning, it's glaringly obvious that the only reason it's in print at all is beause the name on the front cover is recognizable. The grammar and syntax are horrendous, the logic spotty, and objectivity flew out the window many trees prior to page 1. I hate to sound so harsh, but really - don't waste your time with this book!
Valorie Maes
Valorie Maes marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2014
Danny Gros
Danny Gros marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2014
Leah
Leah marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
Britta
Britta added it
Sep 16, 2014
Someone
Someone marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Andrew Aitken "Andy" Rooney was an American radio and television writer. He became most famous as a humorist and commentator with his weekly broadcast A Few Minutes With Andy Rooney, a part of the CBS news program 60 Minutes from 1978 to 2011.
More about Andy Rooney...
My War Few Minutes with Andy Rooney Out of My Mind Andy Rooney: 60 Years of Wisdom and Wit Pieces of my Mind