Start by marking “The Case of the Journeying Boy” as Want to Read:
The Case of the Journeying Boy

The Case of the Journeying Boy

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  68 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Humphrey Paxton, the son of one of Britain's leading atomic boffins, has taken to carrying a shotgun to 'shoot plotters and blackmailers and spies'. His new tutor, the plodding Mr Thewless, suggests that Humphrey might be overdoing it somewhat. But when a man is found shot dead at a cinema, Mr Thewless is plunged into a nightmare world of lies, kidnapping and murder - and ...more
Published August 28th 1991 by Harper Perennial (first published 1949)

To ask other readers questions about The Case of the Journeying Boy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Case of the Journeying Boy

Lisa Kucharski
Okay, I have reached the halfway point and can not take anymore of the dotty characters where we spend too much time in their heads wondering about nothings and somethings rather than actually having a mystery.

I've read other reviews of people who liked the book, however, as a mystery book... it is aggravating and plodding. It is unlike other Innes books which I do enjoy. Obviously, this later book was one that he wrote in a more experimental manner.

If you like the Appleby mysteries... be warne
Dan
Finishing this book was like running a marathon: the first half was difficult to get through but after getting so far it was a test of wills to finish it. I was considering giving a higher rating to this book, considering the descriptions and the prose were written with a vocabulary of such a high level, but I found it so annoying and hard work to get to the end, that it really doesn't deserve it. The tedious language and archaic grammar was like listening to Yoda recite Shakespeare.

A far as th
The first thing that struck me about this offbeat book was the author’s better than average vocabulary and his dense prose. But the primary thing was the story, and it was interesting, with more than the usual amount of character depth and introspection, including pages of detailed analysis by the detective, as well as the tutor, as they attempted to reason out the problems they faced. The boy was also a solid character, the author letting us delve just as familiarly into his mind. Time and agai ...more
Cindy
Oct 10, 2007 Cindy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: suspense/mystery lovers
Shelves: mysteries
I just reread this one. Sir Bernard Paxton needs a tutor for his son over the vacation break, one to travel to Ireland with the boy. Mr. Thewles is sure he's right for the job, but instead Paxton hires a military type man, Peter Cox. Then Cox sends a telegram saying he can't make it, so Thewles gets the job after all.

But Thewles himself is beginning to have second thoughts. The boy Humphrey sounded a bit of a handful from the beginning, and now he's showing signs of a persecution complex, lookin
Sally
What a wild ride this story was, with much more than a who-done-it murder case. There were very strangely behaving characters, multiple locations and lots of inner thoughts. As the 15-year-old boy who was the central character is told at one point, "Don't trust anyone". That is exactly the feeling I got while reading the story, which I could hardly put down because all the mysteries urged me on. The only twinge of dissatisfaction for me was an incomplete explanation of exactly why the murder vic ...more
Deanne
Great book and not what I expected, the fact that the heroes of the book survive each attempt more by luck than judgement is hilarious. Humphrey shows a lot of promise of turning into someone like Hannay, and Thewless should really be called Clueless.
clair
Great Book! I read it about 35 years ago. A little hokey but exciting and superior writing!

If you like this book try "Money from Holme" also by Michael Innes. Hilarious mystery!
Christopher Maguire
The story is silly. But every sentence is crafted. A pleasure to read.
Avel
Avel is currently reading it
Nov 13, 2014
Anne
Anne marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2014
Andy
Andy marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2014
David
David marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2014
Todd Race
Todd Race marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2014
Darcy
Darcy added it
Oct 26, 2014
Sebastian
Sebastian marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014
Gary Vassallo
Gary Vassallo marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2014
Vanessa
Vanessa marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
Samantha
Samantha marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2014
Zscribbles
Zscribbles marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2014
Coralie
Coralie marked it as to-read
May 28, 2014
Polly
Polly added it
May 10, 2014
Josiah
Josiah marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2014
Liane Christi Reale
Liane Christi Reale marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2014
Novel Frostii
Novel Frostii marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Michael Innes was the pseudonym of John Innes MacKintosh (J.I.M.) Stewart (J.I.M. Stewart).

He was born in Edinburgh, and educated at Edinburgh Academy and Oriel College, Oxford. He was Lecturer in English at the University of Leeds from 1930-1935, and spent the succeeding ten years as Jury Professor of English at the University of Adelaide, South Australia.

He returned to the United Kingdom in 19
More about Michael Innes...
Death at the President's Lodging (Sir John Appleby, #1) Hamlet, Revenge! (Sir John Appleby, #2) Appleby's End  (Sir John Appleby, #10) Lament For A Maker (Sir John Appleby, #3) The Daffodil Affair  (Sir John Appleby, #8)