Start by marking “The Case of the Journeying Boy” as Want to Read:
The Case of the Journeying Boy

The Case of the Journeying Boy

3.79  ·  Rating Details  ·  85 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Humphrey Paxton, the son of one of Britain's leading atomic boffins, has taken to carrying a shotgun to 'shoot plotters and blackmailers and spies'. His new tutor, the plodding Mr Thewless, suggests that Humphrey might be overdoing it somewhat. But when a man is found shot dead at a cinema, Mr Thewless is plunged into a nightmare world of lies, kidnapping and murder - and ...more
Published August 28th 1991 by Harper Perennial (first published 1949)

To ask other readers questions about The Case of the Journeying Boy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Case of the Journeying Boy

Cindy
Oct 10, 2007 Cindy rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: suspense/mystery lovers
Shelves: mysteries
I just reread this one. Sir Bernard Paxton needs a tutor for his son over the vacation break, one to travel to Ireland with the boy. Mr. Thewles is sure he's right for the job, but instead Paxton hires a military type man, Peter Cox. Then Cox sends a telegram saying he can't make it, so Thewles gets the job after all.

But Thewles himself is beginning to have second thoughts. The boy Humphrey sounded a bit of a handful from the beginning, and now he's showing signs of a persecution complex, lookin
Sally
Jan 12, 2013 Sally rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
What a wild ride this story was, with much more than a who-done-it murder case. There were very strangely behaving characters, multiple locations and lots of inner thoughts. As the 15-year-old boy who was the central character is told at one point, "Don't trust anyone". That is exactly the feeling I got while reading the story, which I could hardly put down because all the mysteries urged me on. The only twinge of dissatisfaction for me was an incomplete explanation of exactly why the murder vic ...more
DeAnna Knippling
Feb 20, 2016 DeAnna Knippling rated it really liked it
The opening was a long, slow drag--but, as it turned out, so is the beginning of a roller coaster ride. I'm glad I pushed through. The remainder of the book was so pleasantly messed up that I would have been saddened to miss it.
Lisa Kucharski
Oct 18, 2011 Lisa Kucharski rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Okay, I have reached the halfway point and can not take anymore of the dotty characters where we spend too much time in their heads wondering about nothings and somethings rather than actually having a mystery.

I've read other reviews of people who liked the book, however, as a mystery book... it is aggravating and plodding. It is unlike other Innes books which I do enjoy. Obviously, this later book was one that he wrote in a more experimental manner.

If you like the Appleby mysteries... be warne
Kerrie
May 06, 2015 Kerrie rated it liked it
A rather intricate beginning in which two tutors are interviewed to accompany young Humphrey Paxton to Ireland. Mr Thewless is interviewed first and then informed in writing that he does not have the post. However the second successful interviewee notifies Sir Bernard that he is unable to accept the post after all. In the long run Mr Thewless meets his young charge for the first time on the railway station platform but his father fails to turn up to see him off, so during the train journey to ca ...more
Dan
Oct 04, 2014 Dan rated it did not like it
Finishing this book was like running a marathon: the first half was difficult to get through but after getting so far it was a test of wills to finish it. I was considering giving a higher rating to this book, considering the descriptions and the prose were written with a vocabulary of such a high level, but I found it so annoying and hard work to get to the end, that it really doesn't deserve it. The tedious language and archaic grammar was like listening to Yoda recite Shakespeare.

A far as th
May 25, 2012 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: extended-reviews
The first thing that struck me about this offbeat book was the author’s better than average vocabulary and his dense prose. But the primary thing was the story, and it was interesting, with more than the usual amount of character depth and introspection, including pages of detailed analysis by the detective, as well as the tutor, as they attempted to reason out the problems they faced. The boy was also a solid character, the author letting us delve just as familiarly into his mind. Time and agai ...more
Nev Thomas
Jan 14, 2015 Nev Thomas rated it did not like it
ok
Deanne
Aug 01, 2011 Deanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book and not what I expected, the fact that the heroes of the book survive each attempt more by luck than judgement is hilarious. Humphrey shows a lot of promise of turning into someone like Hannay, and Thewless should really be called Clueless.
Emily
Mar 11, 2015 Emily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The "mystery" part of the book is pretty slight - it's more about Humphrey's cloak-and-dagger adventures than about Detective Inspector Cadover's murder investigation. But it's still a fun read, and this remains one of my favorite Innes novels.
clair
Jan 11, 2012 clair rated it it was amazing
Great Book! I read it about 35 years ago. A little hokey but exciting and superior writing!

If you like this book try "Money from Holme" also by Michael Innes. Hilarious mystery!
Nev Thomas
Ok murder mystery but rather plodding and full of flowery language.Crisper dialogue would have shortened it considerably.
Christopher Maguire
The story is silly. But every sentence is crafted. A pleasure to read.
Helen Goddard
Helen Goddard marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2016
Kyra Zoubek
Kyra Zoubek is currently reading it
Apr 14, 2016
Malcolm
Malcolm marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2016
Rosie Mcclurg
Rosie Mcclurg marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2016
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2016
Süleyman Baş
Süleyman Baş marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2016
Evan Anders
Evan Anders marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2016
KST
KST marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2016
Sue Bridgwater
Sue Bridgwater marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2016
Anne Beets
Anne Beets marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2016
Natalie Jubb
Natalie Jubb rated it liked it
Jan 08, 2016
Dickon Thompson
Dickon Thompson rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2016
Beiza
Beiza added it
Dec 19, 2015
Lane Robson
Lane Robson rated it liked it
Mar 20, 2016
Forza
Forza marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2015
Angelica
Angelica marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Michael Innes was the pseudonym of John Innes MacKintosh (J.I.M.) Stewart (J.I.M. Stewart).

He was born in Edinburgh, and educated at Edinburgh Academy and Oriel College, Oxford. He was Lecturer in English at the University of Leeds from 1930-1935, and spent the succeeding ten years as Jury Professor of English at the University of Adelaide, South Australia.

He returned to the United Kingdom in 19
More about Michael Innes...