Start by marking “Reformation Europe 1517-1559” as Want to Read:
Reformation Europe 1517-1559

Reformation Europe 1517-1559

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  57 ratings  ·  14 reviews
This is Geoffrey R. Elton's classic account of the Reformation, revealing the issues & preoccupations central to the age & portraying its leading figures with vigor & realism.
Table of Contents/Maps
The Progress of Lutheranism
Zwingli
The Wars of Charles V
Paperback
Published January 1st 1999 by Harper Torchbooks (first published 1963)

To ask other readers questions about Reformation Europe 1517-1559, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Reformation Europe 1517-1559

Erik Graff
Feb 25, 2011 Erik Graff rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Erik by: David Lotz
Shelves: history
Some years ago, running out of bookshelf space, I took virtually all paperbacks up to a little book-exchange place called The Book Nook in Sawyer, Michigan, just across the Red Arrow Hwy from my brother's place. It wasn't just one trip, it was every trip, pretty much every weekend for a whole summer. My strategy was to build up credits and use them either to get decent hardcovers or as gifts. The owner, a grey-headed woman reminiscent of my beloved third grade teacher, liked me a lot, saying tha ...more
Jan-Maat
All credit is due to Fontana books for their series on European History with each volume generally dealing with a fairly decent fifty years or so, but the series is dated. While the events don't change, interpretations develop, new evidence comes to light and they get to be understood in different contexts.

GR Elton was a specialist on Tudor England with a particular interest in the so-called Tudor revolution in government associated with Thomas Cromwell. Coming from this background Elton handles
Ainsley
Yes, it's about Renaissance Europe. Yes, it's written by a very reputable author. Yes, it is easy to understand and written for the layman. Yes, you should read it.
John Scott
Tedious hardly describes this book. It took all of my will power to finish. Why 2 stars then some may ask. Because at a bare minimum parts were interesting and the reformation is a very interesting time in European history that even an overblown tome such as this can hardly ruin.

Elton writes in a style that to be blunt neither excites, enthrals, let alone holds the attention. To make matters worse there is almost a sense of proselytising that is annoying to the point that I came close to stoppi
Jan 03, 2015 Jennifer is currently reading it
The last time I was read this book was in 1975. I was studying history at La Trobe University and we were working on the Reformation. The book was required reading. I am at present up to page 175. I found a copy in a second hand book shop and couldn't resist buying it. It has brought back happy memories of the past.
Mohamad Ballan
Although it is quite dated, it remains a useful read for anyone seeking a traditionalist account of the Reformation. It focuses primarily on political events and key personalities rather than providing comprehensive details about the social, intellectual and economic context in which the Reformation took place.
Dave
Now nearly 50 years old, this book remains an excellent read although concentrating on the religious & political consequences of the reformation, it feels a little narrow in scope compared to many books on the same period. What continues to make this a stand-out book are the character portraits of some of the central characters: eg the Emperor Charles V, Jean Calvin and particularly Martin Luther. Overall, if you're interested in the Reformation and it's main protagonists then this should be ...more
Mike
Interesting but not fascinating. A little on the dry side.
Peter
Well, yes, learnt a lot. Slightly annoyed at lack of coverage of major historical events the book assumes you know about anyway (eg the Peasants' War and the Knights' War in Germany); but there is an enjoyable ex cathedra tone on the other hand.
ADD
Interesting; however, a laborious text. The final chapter was a mixture of summarization of impact of the Reformation and author's cynicism. Informative, but not as enthusiastically engaging as other European history books I have read.
Willem
Jan 03, 2014 Willem added it
Fantastic.
Al
Informational read; a textbook in every sense of the word.
Julaine
Dec 26, 2012 Julaine added it
Shelves: own
Source: Terry Cheeseman
Daniel Petrides
The classic on the period.
Aisling Finn
Aisling Finn marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2015
Paul Dulgheru
Paul Dulgheru marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
Ari Gató
Ari Gató marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2014
Conor Byrne
Conor Byrne marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Mandi
Mandi marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2014
Rebecca Esmail
Rebecca Esmail marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2014
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2014
Gnarly Authenticity .
Gnarly Authenticity . marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Historian of Tudor England
More about G.R. Elton...
England Under the Tudors Practice of History Reform & Reformation: England, 1509-1558 (New History of England) The Tudor Revolution in Government The English (Peoples of Europe)