Start by marking “Where the Devil Can't Go” as Want to Read:
Where the Devil Can't Go

Where the Devil Can't Go (Kiszka and Kershaw #1)

The naked body of a girl washes up on London’s Thames foreshore – the only clue to her identity a heart-shaped tattoo. Who is she? And why did she die?

Janusz Kiszka, unofficial 'fixer' to East London’s Polish community, and a man with his own distinctive moral code, has been hired to track down a missing waitress. Meanwhile, DC Natalie Kershaw, a rookie detective who’s not
Kindle Edition
Published (first published November 21st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Where the Devil Can't Go, please sign up.

Liz Barnsley
Apr 29, 2013 Liz Barnsley rated it really liked it
With her first novel, Anya Lipska has created that lovely thing - a crime novel with enough originality to make it a great read for fans of the genre. Janusz Kiszka is a Polish ex pat who has been living in London for many years. A "fixer" he is asked to track down a missing Polish girl. Meanwhile, the body of a young girl is washed up along the Thames and new officer DC Natalie Kershaw is investigating. I loved the background to this novel - giving an insight into a different culture within the ...more
Otherwyrld
Jun 17, 2013 Otherwyrld rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-thriller
A middle-aged Polish "fixer" and unofficial Private Detective, and a young ambitious female Detective Sergeant find themselves working the same case from different angles in modern-day London...

Considering this a first novel, this book is an astonishing achievement both in terms of plot and characterisation, and it feels like this is the work of a much more mature author. Both the two main characters feel utterly real, well rounded and totally believable. The story progresses from their points o
Raven
May 14, 2013 Raven rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastyczny! That would be my resounding verdict on this gripping debut by Anya Lipska, set both in the Polish community of East London with a interesting sojourn back to Poland itself. This is one read that definitely rises above the simple classification of police procedural in Lipska’s capable hands, and proves itself to be a multi-layered and culturally interesting reading experience as well.

I think what I liked most about the book was the unveiling of a culture and way of life that I had v
Richard
Jan 21, 2015 Richard rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
The action is non-stop and has incidents and heart-stopping moments in both London and in Poland.
This multi-layered thriller has its soul within the Polish community in the UK; conveying through echoes of Poland's recent history the reality of why Poles leave their homeland, the struggles they find in London and their hopes for the future. The novel also has a political dimension which is cleverly woven into the plot.
An engaging story that works on these various levels; it is never the novel you
John Gaynard
Mar 11, 2012 John Gaynard rated it it was amazing
Anya Lipska’s Where the Devil Can't Gobegins on a building site in London, where an incompetent young Polish builder and decorator gets strong-armed by the hero, Janusz Kiszka, for late payment of a sum of money he owes. The first few chapters develop the backdrop of East London and the fast money, back of a lorry, gambits to be enjoyed in the erection of sub-standard buildings for the Olympic Games.

Janusz’s troubled character slowly comes into focus. A devout but doubting Catholic, a large man
Cphe
Mar 20, 2015 Cphe rated it it was amazing
I very much enjoyed this book. This is a tautly gripping thriller/mystery. Young Polish girls are being murdered in London. Janusz Kizska is the main protagonist, who for want of better words is a "fixer" for the Polish comunity. He is asked by the local priest to find a missing Polish girl. At the same time Detective Constable Natalie Kershaw is also looking into the murders of Polish girls - there isn't much for either of them to go on.
It is Janusz the main character who is the most compelling
Chile Chile
Apr 07, 2014 Chile Chile rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mrs. Lipska has done her "homework" well. I am impressed by her knowledge of the history and culture of my homeland. I appreciate a mystery too, it was interesting and unpredictable.
Rachel Hall
At the time of reviewing this Anya Lipska has a fully fledged series under her belt with the third Kiszka and Kershaw novel out in print, yet I had not realised that this book, her first, was originally a self–published effort. Focusing on the trials and tribulations of Janusz Kiszka, unofficial 'fixer' for the Polish community in East London, and the young and ambitious Detective Constable Natalie Kershaw whose paths just have a way of crossing. In essence, effectively a police procedural with ...more
J.S. Colley
Feb 04, 2013 J.S. Colley rated it it was amazing
Next to a great piece of literary fiction, there’s nothing like a good thriller and Where the Devil Can’t Go is certainly that. Taut and unpredictable, it’s a great read. From what I understand, it’s the first in a series featuring the two main protagonists: Detective Constable Natalie Kerksaw and “Janusz Kiszka, unofficial fixer to East London’s Polish community.”

Janusz is asked by his parish priest to find a missing girl, who—like so many others Poles—came to London’s East Side to find work. B
Shaun
May 24, 2015 Shaun rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Some of my favourite bloggers have highly recommended Anya Lipska's books and so I couldn't resist picking up Where the Devil Can't Go when I saw it staring at me on the shelf at my local library. I was excited but a little apprehensive; I am a crime fiction reader that likes things quite simple as opposed to a story which is more political. But, if anything, that element of the story was quite gripping, and has left me wanting to learn more about Poland and its history.

I enjoyed the scene-setti
Karen
Nov 24, 2013 Karen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
No idea whatsoever how or why, but WHERE THE DEVIL CAN'T GO by Anya Lipska wafted into my somewhat dodgy attention span recently, and I started reading it immediately. As in read the sample, bought the ebook and read it as soon as it downloaded.

Sometimes the universe is very kind and benevolent place, because this is an excellent debut book. Set within the Polish community in England, I think I've since heard somewhere that this is the first novel of this sort out of that environment.

The story i
Rob Kitchin
May 06, 2012 Rob Kitchin rated it really liked it
Where the Devil Can’t Go is a competently written thriller with a political subtext. The strength of the book is the sense of place and community relations in London, the characterisation of Janusz and Kershaw, and interweaving of the two main plots as they twist round each other and intersect. The writing is generally engaging, though the plot was a little uneven, with the first half of the book stronger than the second. The first half was very good and demonstrated Lipska’s undoubted talent as ...more
Christine
Dec 24, 2013 Christine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really don't know why I left it so long to read this book. It was just brilliant, combining Polish sub culture in the UK with a terrific plot about a missing girl. The whole historical side was completely absorbing giving a fascinating perspective on life in a communist country. I just loved the way we got a taste of the Polish community and their language and food

Janusz Kiszka was such an interesting character. Part investigator/part fixer with an eye for justice and a fear of the police, he
Seumas Gallacher
May 24, 2012 Seumas Gallacher rated it it was amazing
This is a superb first novel from an exciting new author. The slant on the Polish community in London adds even more character to an already well plotted story line. Janusz the main character is appealing in so many levels, his scruffiness and means of getting things done on behalf of his clients as an informal private investigator, are splendid reading. The formal police detective, a female, is smart and at first a bit bemused by Janusz, but the intertwine of the paths that each take to get to ...more
The Haunted Reading Room 2017 - Year of Lovecraft
Consider this recommended! Long ago, I discovered a passion for British crime fiction; next, for Scandinavian crime fiction; now, for the Polish version! Anya Lipska is excellent! The plot is riveting, the characters empathetic, and the tension-taut balancing between the female DC and the male Polish "honourable" tough guy is superb!
Lynn Fairclough
Dec 30, 2012 Lynn Fairclough rated it it was amazing
Insight into different cultures within the UK, likeable main characters, would have read more if there were any.
Lindsay (Little Reader Library)
Mar 21, 2012 Lindsay (Little Reader Library) rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crime
'He was engulfed by an extraordinary sensation, as if his body were physically unravelling from the back of his throat down to the pit of his stomach, while his mind floated up and watched the scene from above, a disinterested observer.'

Janusz Kiszka has lived in London for over twenty years, and is a 'fixer', a man who can investigate matters for you, he is 'one of the best-connected people in London's Polonia', and several people amongst the Polish community in the East End of London have aske
Fictionophile
Originally published on my blog: "Fictionophile"

There is a Polish proverb: Gdzie diabel nie moze, tam babe posle (Where the devil can’t go, he’ll send a woman)

Set in London, this debut crime thriller is the first in a series featuring rookie DC Natalie Kershaw, and Janusz Kiszka, a builder and unofficial ‘fixer’ and ‘go-to man’ in East London’s Polish community.

The novel is part police procedural and part history lesson about the Polish diaspora which estimates that between 300,000 and 800,000
David Hebblethwaite
Jan 24, 2012 David Hebblethwaite rated it really liked it
Anya Lipska’s debut novel is set amongst the Polish diaspora of East London, where fixer-for-hire Janusz Kiszka is engaged to find a missing young woman. Meanwhile, the body another woman is found washed up out of the Thames – and DC Natalie Kershaw’s investigations soon lead her to Janusz, who will find himself travelling back to Poland in a bid to unravel what is going on.

Where the Devil Can’t Go is a fine crime story, but it’s also strong thematically. The main theme could be described as pra
Helen
Dec 12, 2013 Helen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. She is my new Scandi favourite writer I now have a firmer grasp of the Polish persona. The history of the Solidarity movement. How the Nazis effected the grass roots citizens of Poland. I found myself running to the Internet looking up little towns in Poland. I have two new heros in Janusz and Kershaw. I learnt a little bit of Polish. I was also informed about the influence of the Catholic Church during the war and still today.Loved the sly humour. Do yourself a favor read thi ...more
Ken Fredette
Feb 02, 2016 Ken Fredette rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very good author in Anya Lipska. I was taken in by all the various characters in this tail of Poland and the U.K. with all the talk of contractors at first to start off. It was the start of the relationship between a Catholic Priest and our hero noir detective that created the basic murder. It was subject to a young woman inspector from the CID. Who ends up saving our hero. Read it and enjoy.
Haje
Dec 26, 2012 Haje rated it really liked it
Where the Devil can't Go was a great little read; a whirlwind of crime fiction creativity, elegantly told and snappily written, although I do think it could benefit from a little bit of editorial tightening in places.

Overall a nice read, would happily recommend it!
Rich
Feb 13, 2013 Rich rated it really liked it
Great thriller set in London's Polish community. 'Fixer' Janusz Kiszka and ambitious young detective Natalie Kershaw are likeable protagonists.
Kerry
Jul 04, 2014 Kerry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great thriller set around the Polish community. I thoroughly enjoyed it & found the writing style very likeable. I'll definitely be reading more by this author.
Bissfan
Jan 14, 2013 Bissfan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Bissfan by: Feder
Janusz Kiszka verdient seinen Lebensunterhalt mit vielen mehr oder weniger legalen Geschäften. Unter anderem erfreut er sich unter den polnischen Einwanderern als Privatdetektiv einiger Beliebtheit. Doch als sein Priester ihn bittet, eine spurlos verschwundene, junge Frau aufzuspüren, stolpert er bei seinen Ermittlungen in einen dunklen Sumpf aus Intrigen und Mord. Die Ermittlungen bringen Janusz schließlich selbst in Lebensgefahr. Aber nicht nur das, auch die Polizei beginnt unangenehme Fragen ...more
Feder
Jan 14, 2013 Feder rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Leichtes Bedauern ist wohl das vorwiegende Gefühl, das mich nach der Lektüre ergriffen hat. Denn obwohl es sich beim Debütroman „Sündenfall“ von Anya Lipska um einen wirklich gut durchdachten und grundsoliden Kriminalroman handelt, der eine erfrischende Abwechslung zu den Krimis, die ich sonst für gewöhnlich lese, darstellt. Darum möchte ich mit den doch zahlreichen positiven Aspekten anfangen:
Die Figuren, allen voran Janusz und Natalie, sind wirklich eine Klasse für sich. Voll innerer Dämonen v
The Book Eaters
Dec 26, 2014 The Book Eaters rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, kelly
The original review, and many others, can be found at http://www.thebookeaters.co.uk

anusz Kiszka is a Polish immigrant who has lived in Highbury, North London since the 1980’s. Well known in the Polish community, he is an unofficial fixer. If something goes wrong, he is the guy to sort it. But he has a lot on his plate at the moment. A builder in Stratford, creator of Notting Hill’s first Georgian bungalow owes him money. His girlfriend Kasia is reluctant to leave her husband, and his priest has
Marie
Mar 29, 2014 Marie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-ebook, netgalley
Janusz Kiszka is one of the most well-connected individuals in London's Polish community - he knows everybody's business and there's not much that slips under his radar. He dabbles in building projects and business deals here and there, but also engages in a little private investigative work when it suits him. In Where The Devil Can't Go, Kiszka is approached by his priest to track down a missing young waitress. Over the course of his investigation he crosses paths with Natalie Kershaw, a young ...more
Ana
Sep 10, 2014 Ana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Strong debut by an author who dared to venture where the literary Devil has until know shied away from - the heart of the contemporary Polish community in London. And from it she brings not just the whiff of scrumptious, hopelessly unhealthy meals washed down with some well known tipples, but also a rich cast of three-dimensional characters weaved in a credible plot. Priests, fixers, construction workers, pious strippers, detectives and former dissidents populate the pages of this faced-paced wh ...more
Stephanie
Jan 22, 2013 Stephanie rated it really liked it
Review originally posted on my blog: http://stephinlondon.com/2013/02/01/a...

Wow. There’s so much going on in “Where the Devil Can’t Go” that I have no clue where to start. There’s murder, religion, Polish culture, politics, sex, drugs, police procedure and some wild surprises to boot. I had so much fun with this book, even though I’m not normally a fan of the crime/mystery/thriller genre. I’m so glad I gave this book a shot!

I’m a culture nut and love travelling and experiencing the sights, soun
  • Pilgrim Soul (Douglas Brodie, #3 / Danny McRae, #3)
  • The Twilight Time
  • A Dark Redemption (Carrigan and Miller, #1)
  • A Killing Winter  (Inspector Akyl Borubaev, #1)
  • The Unburied Dead (Thomas Hutton, #1)
  • Kolibri
  • The Abrupt Physics of Dying (Claymore Straker #1)
  • We Shall Inherit the Wind (Varg Veum, #17)
  • Thorn (Rosa Thorn Thriller, #1)
  • The A26
  • Nowhere Girl (Cate Austin, #4)
  • Long Way Home (DI Zigic and DS Ferreira, #1)
  • American Devil
  • Ruth Galloway: The Early Cases
  • Blood Tears (DI Ray McBain, #1)
  • Rope Enough (The Romney and Marsh Files #1)
  • Tre Hundes Nat
  • The Sentinel (Vengeance of Memory, #1)
Anya Lipska's debut novel 'Where the Devil Can't Go' is published by The Friday Project/Harper Collins. It has received many favourable reviews and Anya has been selected by Val McDermid to appear on her New Blood Panel at the 2013 Theakstons Crime Writing Festival in Harrogate.

Anya lives with her Polish husband in the East End, where the book is (mostly) located. In her day job as a producer of f
More about Anya Lipska...

Kiszka and Kershaw (3 books)
  • Death Can't Take a Joke (Kiszka and Kershaw, #2)
  • A Devil Under the Skin (Kiszka and Kershaw, #3)

“Where the devil can’t go, he sends a woman.” 2 likes
“He checked his watch. “Make it quick, I’ve got a pressing appointment at the Drunken Monkey at two o’clock. Crucial meeting with a CHIS.” CHIS? It took her a moment to translate. Covert Human Intelligence Source – aka, criminal informer. Yeah, right, she thought, more like three pints and a dodgy pie with your dinosaur mates. All the same, she was beginning to realise she could learn a lot from an old-school throwback like Streaky. The other Detective Sergeants at Newham nick were younger, and mostly of the new breed. Smartly dressed and professional, they wouldn’t dream of drinking while on duty, but they seemed to her more like bank managers than real cops. So what if Streaky liked a few jars at lunchtime? Everyone knew he had a better clear-up rate than any of them. Which was probably why he hadn’t been shuffled off with a full pension years ago.” 0 likes