Start by marking “The Planet That Wasn't” as Want to Read:
The Planet That Wasn't
Preview

The Planet That Wasn't

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  139 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Isaac Asimov. The Planet That Wasn't.
Garden City, New York: Doubleday & Company, Inc., 1976.
Hardcover, First Edition, 206 pages
Published 1976 by Doubleday

To ask other readers questions about The Planet That Wasn't, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Planet That Wasn't

Rob
Please see my review of X Stands for Unknown ([http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/98...]) for general comments on Isaac Asimov's science essays.

The Planet That Wasn't, a collection of essays from The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction spanning December 1974 through April 1976, is on the whole, surprisingly mediocre, given the high proportion of skeptical essays criticizing, and occasionally lampooning, pseudoscience and religious enforcement of ignorance. Three notable essays stand out, a
Luis Munoz
Brillante! Luego de haber repasado tres decenas de libros del buen doctor hace casi una década es un placer encontrar algún libro de ensayo que había pasado por alto y reencontrarse con su prosa limpia, clara e iluminadora, lo que siempre un placer. Esta colección de ensayos, a diferencia de muchos otros, planea algunas opiniones sobre religión, ciencia y pseudo-ciencia que vale la pena leerlos. Y los ensayos científicos, aunque fueron escritos en 1974, aun son tan frescos como cuando fueron pub ...more
Keith Bell
All right, any of Asimov's non-fiction collections are great. Pure genius. The man could teach/explain just about anything. Reading these books again revealed to me where much of my teaching style at work came from.

Essays range from physics to chemistry to biology, sociology, religion and more. Each essay holds some nugget of insight and I laughed out loud more than once. Yeah, that makes me a geek as I was laughing at humour found within essay's re: math and physics.

Glad I decided to dive back
Hunchback Jack
Another excellent collection of science essays from Asimov's contributions to F&SF magazine. Highly recommended.
Julie
One of my favorite books. Complex and interesting concepts from astronomy and gravitational pulls to molecules and the ozone layer, explained in clear yet dramatic prose.
Jorge
Es imposible aburrirse de un libro que toca tantos temas.
John
No grade. Essays.
Maja
Maja marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2015
Jessica
Jessica is currently reading it
Apr 05, 2015
Thomas Miller
Thomas Miller marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2015
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2015
Sasha
Sasha marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2015
Vitipe
Vitipe marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2015
Tracy
Tracy added it
Jan 11, 2015
Alan
Alan marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2015
Katie Olleman
Katie Olleman marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2014
Alonso Aguirre
Alonso Aguirre marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2014
Steve
Steve marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2014
Lt
Lt marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2014
Goran Marić
Goran Marić marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2014
  • Sidereus Nuncius, or The Sidereal Messenger
  • Morphic Resonance: The Nature of Formative Causation
  • Six Easy Pieces / Six Not-So-Easy Pieces
  • Comet
  • The Sun's Heartbeat: And Other Stories from the Life of the Star That Powers Our Planet
  • Physics and Beyond: Encounters and Conversations
  • Evolution vs. Creationism: An Introduction
  • Disturbing the Universe
  • Cosmology: A Very Short Introduction
  • Mathematics: The Loss of Certainty
  • The Sky is Not the Limit: Adventures of an Urban Astrophysicist
  • Kutath (The Faded Sun, #3)

Professor Asimov is generally considered the most prolific writer of all time, having written or edited more than 500 books and an estimated 90,000 letters and postcards. He has works published in nine of the te
More about Isaac Asimov...
Foundation (Foundation, #1) I, Robot (Robot, #0.1) Foundation and Empire (Foundation, #2) Second Foundation (Foundation, #3) The Foundation Trilogy (Foundation, #1-3)