Start by marking “Programming in Objective C” as Want to Read:
Programming in Objective C

Programming in Objective C

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  287 ratings  ·  16 reviews
"Programming in Objective-C" is a concise, carefully written tutorial on the basics of Objective-C and object-oriented programming. The book makes no assumption about prior experience with object-oriented programming languages or with the C language (upon which Objective-C is based). And because of this, both novice and experienced programmers alike can use this book to qu ...more
Published December 8th 2003 by Indianapolis (first published December 7th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Programming in Objective C, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Programming in Objective C

Chibimagic
Mar 11, 2009 Chibimagic rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Chibimagic by: Amazon
Shelves: programming
Objective-C! This book spends half the time talking about the Objective-C language itself and half the time talking about Apple's Foundation framework. The chapters are well organized and concepts are well explained, so you end up with a solid foundation in the language. It's an easy read even with very little programming experience. The book doesn't cover Cocoa or the other higher level frameworks, but you'll be completely ready to pick it up by the time you're done with this book.

I would have
Zach
Kochan does a tremendous job of explicating topics in a digestible way. This book best serves as an introduction to Objective-C rather than a complete language reference; it is less concerned with being exhaustive than it is with building a strong foundation.

It is important to note that this text does not strive to teach iOS programming, but merely Objective-C. That said, it does cover the Foundation Framework (one of the 3 frameworks that comprise iOS) fairly extensively.

The author's approach i
Jeff Menter
This book is perhaps the finest book on programming I've ever read.

I started with just a little experience with C ten years ago (and the BASIC and LOGO from childhood) and within hours of picking up the book I had a firm grasp of object oriented programming concepts and was writing and compiling Objective C code.

Highly recommended coupled with Cocoa Programming with Mac OS X by Aaron Hillegass.

Cocoa Programming with Mac OS X focuses on Xcode and the Cocoa frameworks. Programming in Objective C f
Emmet
If you are a beginner and interested in getting started with Objective-C, buy this book. It is very well written and thought out.
Bhashit Parikh
If you like the way Stephen Kochan write (which I do, I read his Programming In C during my College days, apart from the K & R book), you'll enjoy this book as well.

A very easy to read book that explains all the fundamentals of the language very effectively. When I was new to iPhone development, I read this book and I never had to look back. Combine this book with the Apple documentation and you are on your way to become a pretty self-sufficient iPhone developer.
Joshua Raichur
The book is well organized, and Kochan explains the concepts in a clear way. Especially if you are a beginner, this is the best book to give you a strong foundation with Objective-C.
Chris Westin
If you already know C, then there's a great deal of repetitive material mixed in with the Objective-C additions. And the Objective-C additions aren't really explained, just shown as patterns to use -- I can type them in, and they work, but I don't really know what they're doing under the covers like I do with C/C++. I'd really like to know how properties are treated differently from conventional structure members; this would require more coverage of exactly what effects @dynamic and @synthesize ...more
Bob Fish
Good primer for Objective C
Jamie
Good: comprehensive for those beginning with programming in general
Bad: lots of repeat material for those with experience in other languages, especially C or C++
Ugly: Lots of really basic stuff makes it boring for experienced programmers,

I mostly just skimmed the book. If you are totally new to programming, this book will be helpful. The chapter on memory management is beneficial, but you can get the same information from online articles.
Dennis
Good overview of the Objective-C fundamentals. The book introduces the basics of Objective-C and only briefly touches the underlying C concepts (though including blocks), some Foundation classes, Cocoa and Cocoa Touch in a few chapters in the second half of the book.

I think it's okay if you want to get a basic understanding, but it probably isn't that interesting if you've been exposed to Objective-C before.
Ryan Martinsen
Don't know why everyone likes this book so much. Yeah, it covers everything, but the writing is often convoluted.
Carlos Ricardo
Cool for beginners on any programming languages, a lot of "skipped pages" for advanced users...
Jeff Namadan
Good book to learn the basics. Anxious to put this knowledge to good use.
Vivek K
Godwin
Godwin added it
Jun 21, 2015
Shobhit Bhatt
Shobhit Bhatt marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2015
Viet Ho
Viet Ho marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2015
Debojyoti Majumder
Debojyoti Majumder marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2015
Likith
Likith marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2015
Derik
Derik marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2015
Aohori
Aohori marked it as to-read
May 31, 2015
  • Cocoa Programming for Mac OS X
  • iPhone Programming (Big Nerd Ranch Guides)
  • The Swift Programming Language
  • Programming Android: Java Programming for the New Generation of Mobile Devices
  • Learn Objective-C on the Mac
  • Effective Objective-C 2.0: 52 Specific Ways to Improve Your IOS and OS X Programs
  • Learning Java
  • C++ Primer Plus
  • The Ruby Programming Language
  • Algorithms in a Nutshell
  • Ruby Cookbook
  • The Well-Grounded Rubyist
  • Cocoa Design Patterns
  • Regular Expressions Cookbook
  • HTML, XHTML, and CSS (Visual Quickstart Guide)
  • How to Design Programs: An Introduction to Programming and Computing
  • The Art of Readable Code
  • Beginning iPhone Development: Exploring the iPhone SDK

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Programming in Objective-C 2.0 Programming in C (Developer's Library) UNIX Shell Programming Programming in Objective-C (6th Edition) (Developer's Library) Programming in Objective-C (6th Edition) (Developer's Library)