Start by marking “Programming in Objective C” as Want to Read:
Programming in Objective C

Programming in Objective C

4.01  ·  Rating Details  ·  391 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
"Programming in Objective-C" is a concise, carefully written tutorial on the basics of Objective-C and object-oriented programming. The book makes no assumption about prior experience with object-oriented programming languages or with the C language (upon which Objective-C is based). And because of this, both novice and experienced programmers alike can use this book to qu ...more
Published December 8th 2003 by Indianapolis (first published December 7th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Programming in Objective C, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Programming in Objective C

Chibimagic
Mar 11, 2009 Chibimagic rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Chibimagic by: Amazon
Shelves: programming
Objective-C! This book spends half the time talking about the Objective-C language itself and half the time talking about Apple's Foundation framework. The chapters are well organized and concepts are well explained, so you end up with a solid foundation in the language. It's an easy read even with very little programming experience. The book doesn't cover Cocoa or the other higher level frameworks, but you'll be completely ready to pick it up by the time you're done with this book.

I would have
Zach
Nov 02, 2011 Zach rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kochan does a tremendous job of explicating topics in a digestible way. This book best serves as an introduction to Objective-C rather than a complete language reference; it is less concerned with being exhaustive than it is with building a strong foundation.

It is important to note that this text does not strive to teach iOS programming, but merely Objective-C. That said, it does cover the Foundation Framework (one of the 3 frameworks that comprise iOS) fairly extensively.

The author's approach i
Jeff Menter
Apr 07, 2008 Jeff Menter rated it it was amazing
This book is perhaps the finest book on programming I've ever read.

I started with just a little experience with C ten years ago (and the BASIC and LOGO from childhood) and within hours of picking up the book I had a firm grasp of object oriented programming concepts and was writing and compiling Objective C code.

Highly recommended coupled with Cocoa Programming with Mac OS X by Aaron Hillegass.

Cocoa Programming with Mac OS X focuses on Xcode and the Cocoa frameworks. Programming in Objective C f
Emmet
May 13, 2013 Emmet rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you are a beginner and interested in getting started with Objective-C, buy this book. It is very well written and thought out.
Bhashit Parikh
Sep 27, 2014 Bhashit Parikh rated it really liked it
Shelves: programming
If you like the way Stephen Kochan write (which I do, I read his Programming In C during my College days, apart from the K & R book), you'll enjoy this book as well.

A very easy to read book that explains all the fundamentals of the language very effectively. When I was new to iPhone development, I read this book and I never had to look back. Combine this book with the Apple documentation and you are on your way to become a pretty self-sufficient iPhone developer.
Chris Westin
Nov 29, 2012 Chris Westin rated it liked it
Shelves: technology
If you already know C, then there's a great deal of repetitive material mixed in with the Objective-C additions. And the Objective-C additions aren't really explained, just shown as patterns to use -- I can type them in, and they work, but I don't really know what they're doing under the covers like I do with C/C++. I'd really like to know how properties are treated differently from conventional structure members; this would require more coverage of exactly what effects @dynamic and @synthesize ...more
John
Feb 12, 2016 John rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great intro for starters. Of course you should not read a book about programming only, you should also program!
Bob Fish
Dec 06, 2014 Bob Fish rated it really liked it
Shelves: computer
Good primer for Objective C
Jamie
Jan 19, 2013 Jamie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good: comprehensive for those beginning with programming in general
Bad: lots of repeat material for those with experience in other languages, especially C or C++
Ugly: Lots of really basic stuff makes it boring for experienced programmers,

I mostly just skimmed the book. If you are totally new to programming, this book will be helpful. The chapter on memory management is beneficial, but you can get the same information from online articles.
Dennis
Jul 05, 2013 Dennis rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
Good overview of the Objective-C fundamentals. The book introduces the basics of Objective-C and only briefly touches the underlying C concepts (though including blocks), some Foundation classes, Cocoa and Cocoa Touch in a few chapters in the second half of the book.

I think it's okay if you want to get a basic understanding, but it probably isn't that interesting if you've been exposed to Objective-C before.
Neha Sharan
May 14, 2016 Neha Sharan rated it really liked it
Shelves: unfinished
So far so good.
Peter
Jun 22, 2015 Peter rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: work-read
Got part way through, then Apple announced Swift.

Was OK anyway.

From Pearson Ed / Addison Wesley
Ian Tipson received it from the publisher, and gave it to me
Laurent
Jan 31, 2016 Laurent rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: objective-c
Read the first edition and liked it so I bought this one for the 2.0 update, even though I knew much of the contents is still the same.
Ryan Martinsen
Don't know why everyone likes this book so much. Yeah, it covers everything, but the writing is often convoluted.
Carlos Ricardo
Aug 18, 2011 Carlos Ricardo rated it really liked it
Cool for beginners on any programming languages, a lot of "skipped pages" for advanced users...
Aaron Brown
Jun 16, 2016 Aaron Brown rated it really liked it
This was a very good guide along my journey of discovering how much I hate Objective-C.
Jeff Namadan
Jun 07, 2012 Jeff Namadan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good book to learn the basics. Anxious to put this knowledge to good use.
Vivek K
Ttscoff
Aug 29, 2012 Ttscoff rated it it was amazing
Very comprehensive.
Tuan
Tuan marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2016
Falayyad
Falayyad marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2016
Alexander Toman
Alexander Toman rated it liked it
Aug 30, 2016
Jay W
Jay W rated it it was amazing
Aug 20, 2016
Jalal Uddin
Jalal Uddin marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2016
Steve
Steve added it
Aug 16, 2016
Sheel
Sheel rated it really liked it
Aug 14, 2016
Tao Ni
Tao Ni rated it it was amazing
Aug 12, 2016
J P MARRIOTT
J P MARRIOTT rated it did not like it
Aug 12, 2016
  • Cocoa Programming for Mac OS X
  • iPhone Programming (Big Nerd Ranch Guides)
  • Programming Android: Java Programming for the New Generation of Mobile Devices
  • Learn Objective-C on the Mac
  • Effective Objective-C 2.0: 52 Specific Ways to Improve Your IOS and OS X Programs
  • Learning Java
  • Ruby Cookbook
  • C++ Primer Plus
  • The Swift Programming Language
  • Cocoa Design Patterns
  • Beginning iPhone Development: Exploring the iPhone SDK
  • The Ruby Programming Language
  • The Book of CSS3: A Developer's Guide to the Future of Web Design
  • HTML, XHTML, and CSS (Visual Quickstart Guide)
  • The Art of Readable Code
  • Scala in Depth
  • Regular Expressions Cookbook
  • Programming Scala: Scalability = Functional Programming + Objects

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »