Start by marking “Heroes of History” as Want to Read:
Heroes of History

Heroes of History

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  274 ratings  ·  25 reviews
In the tradition of his own bestselling masterpieces "The Story of Civilization" and "The Lessons of History, " Pulitzer Prize-winning historian Will Durant here traces the lives and ideas of those who have helped to define civilization, from its dawn to the beginning of the modern world. Four years before his death, Will Durant began work on an abbreviated version of his ...more
Published November 6th 2001 by Simon & Schuster

To ask other readers questions about Heroes of History, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heroes of History

Viji Sarath (Bookish endeavors)
A book to treasure.. It was a wonderful experience,reading it.. Not too much beating around the bush,not too brief,this book describes just those things that influenced the history of mankind in a big way. It is more like a general reader's handbook of world history. The personal touch in the writing style,rather than the dull descriptive way of writing,adds to the charm,giving one a feel of getting personally acquainted with most of the personalities described in the book..
But at certain place
Alex Telander
The well-known author of the last century, Will Durant, died in 1981. This manuscript was found only a year ago practically in its completed form. It is a treasure of the literary world. Durant’s oeuvre during his lifetime was an eleven-volume series entitled The Story of Civilization, where he focused on an age in each book and gave history lesson that had never really been given before with this Herculean collection.

The result was a most unique series which had the unintended effect of appeari
Kozam Amd
أوهمني الكاتب في البداية بأنه سيسرد تاريخ الأمم التي سادت كوكب الأرض فابتدأ بكنفوشيوس في الصين
ثم بوذا في الهند
ثم الفراعنة وأهراماتهم
كل هذا في أول 50 صفحة من الكتاب
ثم دخل أوربا ولم يخرج منها!!! ابتدأ باليونان ثم الرومان ثم المسيحية

أغضبني تجاهله للحضارة الإسلامية فهذا الكتاب هو ملخص لقصة الحضارة وعدم إدراجه لحضارة المسلمين يعني أنه لم يعترف بأن لهم دور في قصة الحضارة

صدمني تاريخ أوربا المليء بالجرائم وقمع الثورات بشكل وحشي وقتل المدنيين عند دخول المدن .. والإعدام على الخازوق والحرق تكررت بشكل كبير

ا
John Martindale
I've been absurdly busy lately, but with little listening here and a little there, I was able to finish this audiobook. I think the title in misleading. Its a brief history of 1,000s of years crammed into 350 pages. Durant spent most of his time writing about Rome, Greece, Jesus, church history, the renaissances, Popes, the crusades, the reformation and plenty of other tragedies.
Bronson
Wonderful book. Its my first time reading Will Durrant and I am very impressed. He walks you through history with such familiarity you'd think he'd lived through it all. The book reads like a conversation rather than a lecture.
Robert Delikat
I always have the compulsion to reconcile a book with its title. I am chagrined when I am unable to do that. It is like those covers of books that suck you in and leave you knowing in the end what they mean by the expression “artistic license.” Someone reviewed this book and thought a more appropriate title would be a View of History From 30,000 feet. I agree. It is more a distillation of thousands of years of human history down to 12 hrs and 10 min than about heroes. However, if you have ever t ...more
Peter Swenson
Pretty interesting general overview of world history, but strangely taking a very long detour with the history of Catholicism. I'd have liked more of a focus on scientists, politicians and the rest of the world events that were going on while the Catholics were doing their stuff in Europe.
May
Hard not to compare this audiobook to Neil McGregor's A History of the World in 100 Objects, which I recently listened to. My main problem is the narrator's voice. I barely got through listening to the first several chapters before I finally had to give up. The narrator's voice is simply too monotone. I don't know if it's Durant's writing or if the narrator chose to read the script in a boring matter, but I found myself struggling to stay interested. Not really sure why Durant picked certain "hi ...more
Tom
Historian Will Durant and his wife Ariel were working on a shorter version of one of their mammoth collections, intended as a television project. Both died before they finished, within days of each other, and this book is what was left, two or three chapters short of the end. What is here makes for a fine summary of Western civilization, with a chapter devoted each to China and India in the beginning. The final chapter discusses Francis Bacon and almost ends on a long quote of his on the art of ...more
Khalid Almoghrabi
سير ابرز الأعلام الذين اثروا في البشرية على امتداد القرون الطويلة وحتى القرن السابع عشر ويتركز على اربع مناطق: السياسين والفنانين والمصلحين الدينية والفلاسفة واراد ديورانت ان يلخص كتابه العظيم قصة الحضارة بشخصياتها الأبرز فكان مجحفاً بحق روادها من غير الأوروبيين على غرار مافعه برتراند راسل في كتابه العظيم حكمة الغرب فالدور اوروبي بامتياز منذ عصر ارسطو وانتهاءً بالعصر الحديث لا يوجد ذكر لأي شيء من التاريخ الاسلامي او المصلحين فيه.
الكتاب ممتع بشكل عام ويروي باسلوب بسيط وقصصي سير حياة ابطال التاريخ
Darius
An interesting survey of (mostly European) history, with its greatest focus on the typical topics of Greece, Rome and the Renaissance. [There are also early chapters on China and India.]

This is not written as the one single book to provide a top-level summary. It works well for someone who has some grasp of the history and enjoys the way the book pauses on one character after another and provides the reader with some information and integration that fills out the picture.
Noman
This is an absolutely tremendous timeline of history. The timeline incorporates various civilizations and discusses notable figures throughout history. I learned more about world history from this book than I did from all my years in history class. This book also gives you a platform to study different key figures in history. I began to gain interest in several historical figures after reading this book. This is a must read for those who enjoy the history of the world.
Masen Production
“I have discovered late in life the magic of Will Durant & his grasp on history. His book is a prose that is easily digestible yet profound with deductions from past events. his knowledge in the ancient folklore to the medieval world till recent times is unparalleled.
I now rate him amongst the top history writers of all times. I will be indulging myself with a lot of Will Durant books.
I totally recommend this book. ”
Dave
Interesting, but simply too much all together to really enjoy. It's likely better to be used as a superficial reference than a cover to cover read. I kept approaching it and then losing interest. I will say I'm glad I finally got through it. Fact is - the last quarter was probably the most interesting to me.
Osama Abdel Qader
عنوان الكتاب مضلل فهو لا يتحدث عن "أبطال" من التاريخ...
بل يتحدث عن تاريخ أوروبا في العصور الوسطى وتفاصيل الكنيسة في الجزء الأكبر منه...
الكتاب مغرق في تفاصيل محلية لا تهم القاريء العام...
لكنه لا يخلو من فائدة....
القسم الممتع فيه حين يتكلم عن دافنشي....
Elaine
Oct 20, 2008 Elaine rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who likes to learn about history
Recommended to Elaine by: Lia
I loved this book because it was enlightening and educational. For the most part it is very readable and even a page turner in some parts. It basically reviews people and events who have had an impact on modern civilization and philosophy.
Nicole Marble
I've read history all my life, and this was a refresher course on European history, art and philosophy by Will Durant who studied it for his lifetime. Some of it was new to me, some not. But Durant breathed life into ideas that were once new.
Erika
Interesting walk through history from the Ancients to the Enlightenment. I learned a lot, and there's a lot to learn. The book itself is somewhat dated, so I wonder if we've learned more beyond. It can also be pretty slow going in spots.
Chet Makoski
Excellent. What I should have learned and hopefully remember. It makes our current times seem so civilized. I'm glad I didn't live in any previous century, and get to contribute today to the emergence of a world civilization.
Lora
Published posthumously. I need to go back and finish this sometime -- only got to page 114. Good summaries of people important to the civilization of the world, not just the West. Quick read, but wrong time of year.
Jeanne
I thought this would be more about individuals, instead it was an abridged version of his history of civilization. I don't agree with him completely. about 2 1/2 stars.
رياض المسيبلي
كتاب ممتع كتب بأسلوب غاية في الروعة
بث ديورانت فيه من المعلومات واللفتات العميقة ما يجعل الرحلة مع الكتاب ملآ بالتشويق وبعيدة عن الملل
Dave P.
Breezy, fast paced, poetic review of all human history in the West with emphasis on outstanding individuals.
Brooke
A great book written by Will Durant, "a philosopher writing history." My favorite way to study history.
Colin
Overly ambitious, perhaps, but still fun to read.
Lauren Kogan
Lauren Kogan is currently reading it
Mar 04, 2015
Moussa Ba
Moussa Ba marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2015
Hisham
Hisham added it
Mar 03, 2015
Zara
Zara is currently reading it
Mar 02, 2015
Jai Prem
Jai Prem marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2015
  • The Human Story: Our History, from the Stone Age to Today
  • Revolt in the Desert
  • Jefferson the President: First Term, 1801-1805
  • 10 Great Souls I Want to Meet in Heaven
  • I Could Never Be So Lucky Again
  • Humboldt's Cosmos: Alexander von Humboldt and the Latin American Journey that Changed the Way We Se
  • Stonewall Jackson and the American Civil War
  • Henry Clay: Statesman for the Union
  • Lee The Last Years
  • Edgar Allan Poe: His Life and Legacy
  • The Last Courts of Europe: Royal Family Album 1860-1914
William James Durant was a prolific American writer, historian, and philosopher. He is best known for the 11-volume The Story of Civilization, written in collaboration with his wife Ariel and published between 1935 and 1975. He was earlier noted for his book, The Story of Philosophy, written in 1926, which was considered "a groundbreaking work that helped to popularize philosophy."

They were awarde
More about Will Durant...
The Story of Philosophy The Lessons of History Our Oriental Heritage (The Story of Civilization, #1) The Story of Civilization (11 Volume Set) Caesar and Christ (Story of Civilization, #3)