Start by marking “The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and Philosophy: Everything Is Fire” as Want to Read:
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and Philosophy: Everything Is Fire

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and Philosophy: Everything Is Fire (Blackwell Philosophy and Pop Culture #25)

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  119 ratings  ·  17 reviews
The essential companion to Stieg Larsson's bestselling trilogy and director David Fincher's 2011 film adaptationStieg Larsson's bestselling Millennium Trilogy--"The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, The Girl Who Played with Fire, " and "The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest"--is an international phenomenon. These books express Larsson's lifelong war against injustice, his ethic ...more
Published November 1st 2011 by John Wiley & Sons (first published September 20th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and Philosophy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and Philosophy

Tiffani
The books in the Blackwell Philosophy and Pop Culture Series explore television, movies, and books and other exemplars of pop culture through the lens of philosophy. Despite the name, and perhaps not surprisingly, the books tend to lean more toward pop culture than toward the philosophical end of the spectrum. For those truly interested in philosophy, this is probably not the right series for you. However, for those interested in a given show, movie, book, etcetera, this series can be fun a trip ...more
Frank Terry
This was a cool book. I've always seen these around bookstores, and even owned a copy of Philosophy and The Matrix at one point, but never read it or any of the others.

I'm not at all a student of philosophy, or really literary criticism for that matter, but I do really enjoy the Millennium Trilogy, actually I think those three books are absolute masterpieces, and I've wanted to give this book a try for awhile.

And that's why this was a pretty good book.

This isn't really a gimmick with lots of, "
Särah Nour
The series that brought us House and Philosophy, Harry Potter and Philosophy, The Hunger Games and Philosophy, and other such books, now delves into the moral, philosophical, and sociological implications of Stieg Larsson’s famed crime series, and its intriguing heroine. For fans of the series, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and Philosophy should provide many an insight and thought-provoking concept that may challenge or reinforce notions of the characters and the social issues portrayed in the ...more
Danine
A perfect Danine combo. The Millenium Trilogy mixed with philosophy. I've read several other books in the Blackwell Philosophy serious and I felt this edition was the weakest I've read so far. With that said I proceed.

Notes and observations:

P. Identity Kit (Erving Goffman (1922-1982) - The cosmetics and clothing used to manage the guise we appear to others. I couldn't help but evaluate what my "identity kit" is.

p. "The conclusion is not that we should be nicer to people who are different from us
Katniss
This book contains essays that talks about the Millenium Trilogy and its author Stieg Larsson. It explains why people read this kind of trilogy. One of the authors asked this question, " Is reading a form of escapism, a respite from our (occasionally) banal real-world existence into a fictional one that's more exciting? Or do we read in order to better understand and thus engage with the world in which we leave?"

I've enjoyed reading this book, though I'm not a student of Philosophy. I recommend
Todd Kinsey
This book is a series of interesting essays that discuss the underlying philosophy of Steig Larsson's brilliant Millennium trilogy. The problem is that most liberals / progressives fall into the Kantian school of philosophy and fail to see all the flaws and contradictions... But that liberalism.

The book is well written and is worth a read if you enjoy philosophy. It is written so that even the uninitiated should comprehend most of the theories.
Gretchen
I want to be Lisbeth Salander. Actually, I think I am, only taller.
Rebie
Feb 16, 2014 Rebie added it
no one ever came close to Sydney Sheldon when it comes to novel until i started reading Stieg Larsson. my gosh! it has been ages since the time i would read until wee hours in the morning and so now Larsson is in my most loved authors ;) can't put down the book. i would switch between playing candy crush and back to reading again until dawn and after a few hours sleep finished the last few pages. Now i'm thinking if i would ever start the sequel book given the demand of time. hahahaha
beautifull
Tahni
If you're looking for something heavy on philosophy this probably isn't the book for you. Most of the essays deal less with the philosophical applications of Larsson's trilogy and more with the ways in which the trilogy functions (or fails to function) as a critique of society. With the exception of only one essay I thought it was a great read: quite thought provoking and fun for anyone who's a fan of the series and/or literary critique.
Ashwise
I really like this philosophy series and how they analyze pop culture and how philosophy relates, though I'm not really into philosophy. This one presented interesting works such as vengence, why women are attracted to Blomkivist (it's because he respects them and treats them as equals,) and how Lisbeth Salander has no gender, which I found rather interesting. A great must read if you like philosophy and The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo.
Siw
Some articles are very good, but most of them are not. Not because they are not well written, but because they only partially stay on topic. The point is supposedly that philosophical ideas etc as related to the book, books and the characters in them; but this is rarely the case for most of the articles. Still. I would recommend a read. But as a whole, it cannot get more than two stars.

Roxanne
This was an interesting read...I got it for Christmas from my mom's boyfriend and I have to say, I would not have picked it up if I hadn't gotten it then. As much as I love the Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, I didn't really enjoy reading about some guy dissecting all my favorite characters. Unless you like those kinds of books, I wouldn't recommend it.
Joy
The essays vary in quality but on the whole are interesting explorations of questions related to or raised by _the Millennium Trilogy_ by Stieg Larsson.
Ashley Marie
Very interesting concepts. It helped bring more insights to the trilogy that I wouldn't have thought otherwise.
Charles
Some very good essays, some rather mediocre - a nice mix (even better if you can acquire the book as a gift, or used!)
Susan
I wanted more discussion about the series really. The few insights I did gain were worth it though.
Khrys Nguyen
Dec 29, 2012 Khrys Nguyen is currently reading it
This should be interesting.. I hope it's good :-)
Bel
Bel marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2015
Thrown With Great Force
Thrown With Great Force marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2015
Ashley Wilson
Ashley Wilson marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2015
Leiannasaur
Leiannasaur marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2015
Bibin  Elampallil
Bibin Elampallil marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2015
Audra Harris
Audra Harris is currently reading it
Jun 06, 2015
Brittany
Brittany marked it as to-read
May 14, 2015
Kristina Bryan
Kristina Bryan marked it as to-read
May 12, 2015
  • Iron Man and Philosophy: Facing the Stark Reality
  • Quentin Tarantino and Philosophy
  • The Psychology of the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo: Understanding Lisbeth Salander and Stieg Larsson's Millennium Trilogy
  • X-Men and Philosophy: Astonishing Insight and Uncanny Argument in the Mutant X-Verse
  • Mad Men and Philosophy: Nothing is as it Seems
  • A Critical Introduction to Queer Theory
  • The Philosophy of the X-Files
  • The Daily Show and Philosophy: Moments of Zen in the Art of Fake News
  • Absolute Recoil: Towards A New Foundation Of Dialectical Materialism
  • The Mouse that Roared: Disney and the End of Innocence (Culture & Education) (Culture & Education Series)
  • Commonwealth
  • Star Trek and Philosophy: The Wrath of Kant
Eric Bronson is the author or editor of six books. He has a Ph.D. in philosophy and currently teaches in the Humanities Department at York University in Toronto. His classes on Modern Life focus on anxiety, creativity, and happiness.

The Chicago Sun Times noted that Bronson's "Baseball and Philosophy makes you realize just how fun thinking about baseball really is."

His most recent book, King of Rag
More about Eric Bronson...

Blackwell Philosophy and Pop Culture (1 - 10 of 39 books)
  • South Park and Philosophy: You Know, I Learned Something Today
  • Battlestar Galactica and Philosophy: Knowledge Here Begins Out There
  • The Office and Philosophy: Scenes from the Unexamined Life
  • Batman and Philosophy: The Dark Knight of the Soul
  • House and Philosophy: Everybody Lies
The Hobbit and Philosophy: For When You've Lost Your Dwarves, Your Wizard, and Your Way Baseball and Philosophy: Thinking Outside the Batter's Box King of Rags Poker and Philosophy: Pocket Rockets and Philosopher Kings The Lord of the Rings and Philosophy: One Book to Rule Them All

“Racism watching is a puzzle solving activity and often involves debunking pseudo-science. The investigator must try to figure out what makes people believe in weird ideas. As Stieg said in an interview, ‘Fifty years later, people still believe in this; the whole Neo-Nazi movement. There is absolutely no sense in this. They do it contrary to everything science tells us. Contrary to human goodness or altruism, contrary to rational thinking. And this is fascinating, why?” 0 likes