Start by marking “Homework Without Tears” as Want to Read:
Homework Without Tears

Homework Without Tears

3.95  ·  Rating details ·  44 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Parents with school-aged children will find in this volume the help they need to create an unstressful learning environment in the home and motivate their youngsters to succeed in school.
Published November 6th 1993 by William Morrow Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about Homework Without Tears, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Homework Without Tears

Ginger
Jul 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I love this book. It's helping me stand strong against all the homework complaining! It has step by step instructions to follow for every homework scenario you can think of. I normally only buy a book when I think I will need it on hand for reference, I'm definitely buying this one!
Jo Forrester
Aug 27, 2014 rated it liked it
I liked the book. Didn't love it though. The information was fairly basic and common sense. Different sections applied to children in different grades. My children are still quite young so not all of the information applied to our situation. I liked how the authors instructs parents to set up a homework area and a hw time. They emphasize being firm and consistent with your child(ren) otherwise they will find a way to manipulate you and the situation. What I didn't like is how they repeatedly ins ...more
Robert
Feb 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
Perhaps the teacher resource I have used more than any other. I picked this up in the mid-1990s and have used pieces from this every year since. I have modified the program over the years, but I spend the first week of school teaching students how to do homework. We talk about procedures, finding a place to put the bookbag, where to do homework and why it's a good area, building a homework survival kit, etc.

Setting the expectations at the outset is key to successful years. Homework Without Tears
Claudia
Mar 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
During my 14 years as a high school counselor, this was the book I most often recommended to parents. I taught workshops based on it and I used the ideas with my own children. If parents have a reasonably good relationship with their children and are consistent in implementing the principles in this book, grades inevitably improve.
Amy
Oct 01, 2008 rated it really liked it
As my son transitions from traditional homeschooling to an on-site program, I needed some input regarding homework. This book gives good advice to anyone who wants to help his/her child become more of an independent learner.
Heather
Jan 23, 2009 rated it really liked it
Very good advice. The one that really helped us is the structure of doing the homework at a certain time everyday and doing it for a set amount of time. This way they don't rush through the homework.
Tiffany Nearon
Aug 09, 2008 rated it really liked it
Good common sense book. I already do 90% of what it suggests, but it is a good motivator to be consistant.
Libbydale
Sep 24, 2013 marked it as to-read
Does anyone on my friends list have this book to borrow?
Feb 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
Some good idea in this one. we are using some of them already :~) and so far so good!
Kim
Jun 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Lots of charts for the child to use to keep track of homework, etc.
Kelly
Mar 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book has withstood the test of time. There are a lot of great concepts and suggestions. Now I cross my fingers they work!
Mandy
Jan 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. It gave me such great ideas to help my child do his homework. And now I am not yelling and mad all the time. I am calm and able to praise him!
Sheridan
Apr 25, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: parenting
Read this awhile ago. Good tips to encourage kids to be responsible for their own homework.

It was helpful.
Kari
Mar 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Awesome book for anyone with younger kids and homework struggles, one of my favorite parenting books over the years.
Kimberly
Jan 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
I found some very useful, practical ideas that will hopefully help my son.
Anna Maynard
Mar 28, 2012
Bookaholic
Jun 20, 2016
keagan p
rated it did not like it
Nov 19, 2015