Start by marking “Respectable Sins: Confronting the Sins We Tolerate” as Want to Read:
Respectable Sins: Confronting the Sins We Tolerate

Respectable Sins: Confronting the Sins We Tolerate

Have Christians become so preoccupied with "major" sins that we have lost sight of our need to deal with more subtle sins?

Navigator author Jerry Bridges addresses the “acceptable” sins that we tend to tolerate in ourselves, including pride and anger. He goes to the heart of the matter, exploring our feelings of shame and grief and opening a new door to God's forgiveness an
Published August 21st 2007 by NavPress

To ask other readers questions about Respectable Sins, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Respectable Sins

Start your review of Respectable Sins: Confronting the Sins We Tolerate
Natalie Vellacott
May 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
I love Jerry Bridges books and am sad that there will be no more as the author died last year. This book highlights the sins that we tend to overlook, (things like pride, covetousness, gossip etc,) whilst judging those who, in our view, are guilty of much more serious wrong-doing.

It's a challenge to each one of us and one of the author's best books. If you haven't yet read Trusting God then try this as well! [https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...]

Highly recommended!
Joey T
Feb 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wow. This book convicted me soo much. It holds so many hard truths so many Christians are unwilling to face.
Becca
May 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-on-sin
This book is excellent! Our youth group is going through it and I am continuing to be convicted by the chapters. Mr. Bridges talks about the sins the we often don't look at and brush aside because "they don't seem as bad as this or that". The sins that the book covers are Ungodliness, Unthankfulness, Anxiety, Frustration, Discontentment, Pride, Selfishness, Lack of Self-Control, Impatience, Irritability, Anger, The Weeds of Anger, Jugdmentalism, Envy, Jealousy, and other related sins (such as co ...more
Henry
Aug 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I could not but help thinking in reading this book that the world would be a much better place if it were to be read more widely and taken seriously. Jerry Bridges deals here with respectable sins, those which are common even among evangelicals and not considered serious matters if considered sins at all today. He shows that respectable sins are still an affront to God, and must be dealt with. He does so in a serious and searching way that nevertheless I did not find oppressive. I have heard it ...more
Callie
Jul 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2019
This book was a five star book all the way. In this book Bridges addresses some of the "little" sins that we find more acceptable, and explains why they are a problem, and how to overcome them through a focus on the Gospel. I was challenged and convicted and encouraged! I got so much out of this book, and I should probably read it again (after I check out Bridges' other works). HIGHLY recommend!
Rhonda
Jan 26, 2009 rated it really liked it
Someone at church had this book and I asked her what the title could possibly mean. She smiled and said that the author believed that there are any number of sins which we deem respectable in our modern life. I am curious to see if I suffer from them all or not. I doubt I wil be disappointed.

Indeed I was not disappointed when I sat down to read this book. It did take quite a bit longer and I just noticed that I had not completed my review. The primary reason for that is that I read the book in p
Tricia
Apr 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great book to read while my pastor works through Ephesians. Completely Gospel-centered, straightforward, and pastoral. Also loved the emphasis on God’s sovereignty and the helpful scriptures suggested to memorize. Highly recommended.
Jessie Moon
Jan 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely loved this book. The author does such a good job of bringing to light the things we would consider “little” sins or not sins at all which means we don’t repent of and seek help from the Holy Spirit. for those things. We often coast along as Christians thinking we are doing well by avoiding the scandalous sins, without realizing that we sin daily in the way we speak, the things we watch, and the way we feel about others. But yet we are often the first to point our finger at those with ...more
Deanna
Apr 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book and the multiple calls to action to honestly and humbly consider your life and what sins are hiding in it. So often we hear we are good people, but are you really? I realized I was not.
Ben Mordecai
Mar 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is shockingly good. As I was reading (listening to the audiobook), I filled up lists of things I needed to repent of, ways that I should approach my own sins and those of others, helpful perspectives, and good ways to pray. Nothing in this book was particularly complicated or required the exegesis of difficult passages, just careful attention to the places we have gone sin-blind. It was entirely rooted in the gospel, earnestly exhorting us to holy living without becoming legalistic, de ...more
Sam Nicolay
Oct 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
one of my most convicting books I’ve read in a long time!
Luann
Feb 25, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For the past several months, our family read this together (kids ages 12-19) at home and then discussed it weekly with our church small group. The discussion questions in the back are spot on. A great study for teens and up, and perfect for small groups.
Jared Totten
Aug 11, 2011 rated it liked it
Jerry Bridges wrote one of the best books I've ever read on Christian sanctification in Pursuit of Holiness. But if Pursuit of Holiness is Sanctification 101, then Respectable Sins is Sanctification 301. While the former book focused on the broader subject of sanctification and dealt with the more common besetting sins, the latter focuses on the more subtle sins that often go unaddressed.

Before dealing with specific areas of sin, the opening chapters of Respectable Sins set the necessary foundat
Jonathan Sussex
Feb 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian
This is a great and convicting book, page after page i had to admit i was bang to rights. The real life examples he gives are helpful, and you are gently invited to take a look at how you match up to the standard of scripture, but there is no condemnation as the truth of the gospel is always there as a glorious reminder.
Sally Ewan
Jun 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
My mom had recommended this book some time ago, but it took me a while to pick it up. And it took me a while to get into it...the first six chapters are about sin's malignancy, remedy, and the Holy Spirit's power in dealing with sin. I read them quickly, thinking, "yeah, yeah, I already know this." But when I got to the seventh chapter, on ungodliness, I was hooked. Bridges is spot-on in saying that Christians tolerate these sins, even making excuses for them, rather than dealing with them. I th ...more
Dave Jones
Our church small group just completed a nine week study using this book. The basic theme is that while we, as Christians, tend to view sins such as murder, theft, etc. as egregious while overlooking some of our own “respectable” sins. Examples of these sins include worldliness, anger, judgmentalism, et al. While I like the premise, the execution was meh.

I thought Mr. Bridges started strong by discussing the malignancy of sin. He considers it (rightly) as a cancer or infection that must either be
Phil Dunn
Jan 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Called 'Respectable Sins', the aim of the book is to confront the sins that we as Christians all too readily tolerate. But before getting into the nitty-gritty of various 'respectable sins', Bridges spends no less than five whole chapters putting a gospel framework in place. His advice, "always address your sin in the context of the gospel." Nice.

Then its down to business. Ungodliness, anxiety and frustration, discontentment, unthankfulness, pride, selfishness, anger are just a few of the sins
Nicholas
This book was such a blessing to read. It was very convicting I really enjoyed it and found it very profitable.
Dana Friesen
Mar 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
In Respectable Sins: Confronting the Sins We Tolerate, Jerry Bridges gently focuses our attention on widespread sins in the church. Not only are they common, but they also go unchecked. [return][return]1) Bridges confession[return][return]Before expanding on these sins, though, he makes a confession to his readers: He s not perfect, he has committed many of these sins over the years and he doesn t pretend to be any better or holier than the rest of us.[return][return]He makes this confession rig ...more
Nicholas Varady-szabo
Oct 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
I liked the concept of this book, but not necessarily how the author went about exploring the topic. Bridges makes an excellent case that as Christians we so often look down our noses at perceived "heinous" sins, while tolerating, and at times even celebrating more subtle, socially acceptable sin.

God is opposed to both

While Bridges labels some insightful sin areas, I felt he took an overly simplistic attitude in dealing with that sin. I wish he went more for the roots and trunk, rather than the
Joel Stanton
Jan 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The title of this book first caught my attention. “Respectable Sins?” I thought, “I have to read this!” This was the first book by the author Dr. Jerry Bridges that has come across my desk, so I wasn’t really sure what to expect. However, I can now confidently assert that this book is a fantastic read for the Christian man or woman! First off, this book passed with flying colors my two basic litmus tests for any Christian book that I read:

1) Does the author possess and write from a worldview th
April Thrush
Aug 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian-living
An amazing Christian Living book I would recommend to all Christians. This has been one of the most convicting books I have ever read, and I know I will read again. I am thankful that the version I purchased has a sizable discussion guide in the back, because this is not the kind of book to go through quickly. I would love to discuss it with someone for it to sink in even more. After each chapter, it is best to spend time in prayer and reflection on how the sin discussed might be presenting itse ...more
Linda
Warning: If you have no desire to identify, expose and root out sin in your life, then this book is not for you.

Little white lies. Guilty pleasures. Errors in judgment. These are just a few examples of how the language of modern-day society softens and trivializes the seriousness of sin. When was the last time you heard someone said they fornicated? No, instead they say they "slept with" someone; now doesn't that sound nice and cozy? Saying that two people are "having an affair" sounds so much m
Tyler Eason
Sep 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Bridges writes with clarity and simplicity, but he has a way to get to the heart of the matter that makes him an especially helpful friend in seeing your own sin. This book exposed several areas of growth in my life. I’m thankful for men and women like Bridges who understand the gospel and can apply it to the nitty gritty details of our messy lives.
Brenda
Jan 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If I had a paper copy of this book, there would be SO many underlines and margin notes in it. The first six "general" chapters were so helpful, and the remaining chapters that focused on specific "respectable sins" had good explanations and practical advice. A very good read.
Jessie
Apr 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
A well-written book on the everyday sins that Christians tend to ignore in their own lives. Of course we recognize serious sins such as murder or stealing, but we ignore the everyday sins like gossiping or judgementalism. This book really makes you take a second look at your own life.
Brandi Breezee
Jul 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Never has a book humbled me so. I find myself crying out with Paul, “Wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death?” As I’m called to “work as if it all depends on me, and yet trust (in the Holy Spirit) as if I did not work at all,” I pray, God, have mercy on me, a sinner.
Michelle Cruice
Apr 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Very convicting book! SO often I’m very self righteous and this book cuts to the heart of that attitude. I struggle to varying degrees with every single “acceptable” sin he deals with in this book. But he offers hope at the end- “God resists the proud but gives grace to the humble.”
Josiah Rex
May 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed reading this book, as it focuses on areas of the Christian life that are often over looked. his sections on doctrinal pride, and judgmentalism over differing convictions, and doctrinal disagreement, were very good.
Glenn
Oct 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A very confronting read... Opens up you mind and heart to a lot of sins Christians brush away... Recommended read
Intriguing Title 3 34 Aug 14, 2012 06:50PM

• Humility: True Greatness
  • When People Are Big and God Is Small: Overcoming Peer Pressure, Codependency, and the Fear of Man
  • Instruments in the Redeemer's Hands: People in Need of Change Helping People in Need of Change
  • Just Do Something: A Liberating Approach to Finding God's Will
  • The Hole in Our Holiness: Filling the Gap between Gospel Passion and the Pursuit of Godliness
  • The Hole in Our Gospel: What Does God Expect of Us? the Answer That Changed My Life and Might Just Change the World
  • Fresh Wind, Fresh Fire: What Happens When God's Spirit Invades the Heart of His People
  • A Gospel Primer for Christians: Learning to See the Glories of God's Love
  • The Peacemaker: A Biblical Guide to Resolving Personal Conflict
  • The Mortification of Sin
  • Spiritual Disciplines for the Christian Life
  • The Explicit Gospel
  • Not a Fan: Becoming a Completely Committed Follower of Jesus
  • Does Prayer Change Things? (Crucial Questions, #3)
  • Crazy Love: Overwhelmed by a Relentless God
  • Coronavirus and Christ
  • unChristian: What a New Generation Really Thinks about Christianity... and Why It Matters
  • Searching for God Knows What
JERRY BRIDGES was an author and conference speaker. His most popular book, The Pursuit of Holiness, has sold over one million copies. Jerry was on the staff of The Navigators for over fifty years, and currently served in the Collegiate Mission where he was involved primarily in staff development, but also served as a speaker resource to the campus ministries.

News & Interviews

“The sin of worldliness is a preoccupation with the things of this temporal life. It's accepting and going along with the views and practices of society around us without discerning if they are biblical. I believe that the key to our tendencies toward worldliness lies primarily in the two words "going along". We simply go along with the values and practices of society.” 8 likes
“Sin is a spiritual and moral malignancy. Left unchecked, it can spread throughout our entire inner being and contaminate every area of our lives. Even worse, it often will “metastasize” from us into the lives of other believers around us.” 5 likes