Start by marking “Pattern Magic” as Want to Read:
Pattern Magic

Pattern Magic

Pattern Magic is the cult pattern-making book from Japan. Taking inspiration from nature, from geometricshapes, and from the street, this book harnesses the sheer joy of making and sculpting clothes. The book takes a creative approach to pattern making, with step-by- step projects for fashion designers and dressmakers to enjoy. Each project is beautifully illustrated with ...more
Published October 6th 2010 by Laurence King Publishing (first published September 22nd 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Pattern Magic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pattern Magic

Start your review of Pattern Magic
Marilyn Shea
Oct 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Intimidating and inspirational at the same time, Pattern Magic is not so much a "read" as a "see and ponder." The author, who was a professor at Bunka Fashion College, shows how very complex and unusual sculptural effects can be added to simple garments through experimental manipulation of paper. The paper pattern then can be translated into fabric. The weight, structure and stretch capabilities of the fabric influence the final product. It looks like play but the success of each design relies u ...more
Pretty Clever-things
Dec 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I've been seeing references to this book floating around for awhile, but it was only available in Japanese (not my strong suit). Imagine my excitement when I noticed on Amazon that it was being published in English. I couldn't wait to get my grubby little hands on it, and it did not disappoint. It's full of wacky things, not necessarily patterns I would want to wear. However, it makes you consider the basic principles of pattern making and manipulation. It's an excellent investment.

And for those
Sam
Jun 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: costuming, art, reference
All I can say is "wow!"

I consider myself an above-average pattern maker for theatre, where we have to think oddly at times to get the job done, and this book just blows my mind. It seems to break every "rule" that I was taught with draping and flat patterning. The author drapes when I'd have tried to tackle it flat, and vice versa. It is almost awe inspiring... No, scratch that - it IS awe inspiring!
Riona
Jun 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I purchased both this book and the sequel several years ago when they were only available in Japanese, so I can't read them, but the photos and diagrams are very clear and make excellent inspiration. Tomoko Nakamichi is obviously a very skilled patternmaker and draper and the clothes (shown on quarter-scale forms) are beyond creative. I haven't yet tried to scale any of the patterns up and make them myself, but this book is great to get ideas from for making your own unconventional patterns.
Kayleen
May 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
it's not a long book, but heavens the ideas make the head spin. This is one I will dip back into from time to time. It's amazing the things Nakamichi can make a piece of fabric do.

this is not a beginning pattern making book, this is a step beyond that.
Ligaya
Apr 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
Amazing and brain twisting. I am NOT a pattern maker and only an intermediate, but intrepid, sewist so actually reading through this book really stretches my sewing imagination. I love how beautifully this book is designed and photographed - the mini-size dress form is so cute. The author's explanation (or the translation of) is clear enough that even I can understand what her meaning is - well, for most of the projects. I cannot wait to try these out!
Taylor
Sep 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful collection of out-of-the-box pattern-making ideas that helped me understand the concept of adapting a flat plane into a three dimensional form in many different ways.
Soraya Teixeira
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow!!! Pra quem quer exercitar suas habilidades de modelagem ou apenas se inspirar. É incrível!!!
Liz
Jan 21, 2011 rated it liked it
oh man
I wish I was nimble-fingered enough to have a hope in hell of making these
something to work towards I guess!
Anab
Mar 15, 2012 added it
nfjhvhvfmjvjvjmvjvm,v,j ,nmvmvvmnvmccx
Ellen
Nov 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: making
Quite possibly the most interesting sewing book ever.
Yu Khew
Sian
May 17, 2018

• New Complete Guide to Sewing
  • The Art of Manipulating Fabric
  • Patterns of Fashion 1 Englishwomen's Dresses & Their Construction C. 1660-1860
  • Patterns of Fashion 2 Englishwomen's Dresses & Their Construction C. 1860-1940
  • Couture Sewing Techniques
  • Fashion: The Collection of the Kyoto Costume Institute - A History from the 18th to the 20th Century
  • Akira Club
  • Akira, Vol. 1
  • Nineteenth-Century Fashion in Detail
  • Fashioning Fashion: European Dress in Detail, 1700–1915
  • Patterns of Fashion 4: The Cut and Construction of Linen Shirts, Smocks, Neckwear, Headwear and Accessories for Men and Women C. 1540-1660
  • Chanel and Her World: Friends, Fashion, and Fame
  • The Knitting Book: Yarns, Techniques, Stitches, Patterns
  • The Monet Cookbook: Recipes from Giverny
  • Patterns of Fashion 3: The Cut and Construction of Clothes for Men and Women, C.1560-1620
  • The Pocket Butler's Guide to Travel: A Compact Guide to Travelling Well: From Efficient Packing to Etiquette in a Foreign Land
  • Fashion: The Ultimate Book of Costume and Style
  • Beginner's Guide to Digital Painting in Photoshop
After serving many years as a professor at Bunka Fashion College, Ms. Nakamichi currently delivers lectures and holds courses on design making, both in Japan and overseas.

News & Interviews