Start by marking “Creating a World That Works for All” as Want to Read:
Creating a World That Works for All

Creating a World That Works for All

The world is a mess. The privileged few prosper. The masses suffer. And everyone feels spiritually empty. Most people would blame capitalism, racism, or some other "ism". But according to Sharif M. Abdullah, the problem is not ideology. It's exclusivity -- our desire to stay separate from other people.In Creating a World That Works for All, Abdullah takes a look at the mes ...more
Published June 1st 1999 by Berrett-Koehler Publishers (first published May 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Creating a World That Works for All, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Creating a World That Works for All

Michael
Aug 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Very clear, concise introduction to the work of the Commonway Institute and a great guide to peaceful dispute resolution. Thank you, Sharif!
Julia
Nov 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: in-my-home-stack
Very interesting book. A bit heavy and dismal at times, but that speaks to a lot of the concerns of today. I agree that we need more Menders in this world, and a lot fewer Breakers, but there has to be a happy medium, and not just Keepers. I did enjoy it, and it's incredible food for thought. What are we doing to/for our earth? Our communities? Ourselves? I'm going to need a few minutes to think about this one.
Alice
Sep 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I'm not sure exactly how I feel about this book, for two reasons.

1. There are some arguments that really fell flat - such as the (much believed, but false) idea that hunter/gatherers were always in harmony with nature and each other (tribes often defined themselves as "better" than others, large animals were most likely made extinct by humans after migrations to the Americas and Australia, etc.). I think it doesn't help the book to make these types of over-simplifications. But, the overall prem
Cate White
Dec 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
“If we want to see widespread change in our society, we must address its center. Preaching to the choir, the people on the fringe who already share our vision will no longer do. Nor will vacuous exercises in political correctness. We must get our hands dirty, and our hearts exposed, by engaging directly with the Heartland.

Jeffrey, a burly white roadworker, came into the fourth of a series of group sessions and laid a card and pamphlet on my table. Even upside down, I could recognize the materia
Mike
Dec 04, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone Now!
Shelves: development
Are you Mender or Breaker? Sharif effortlessly connects our social, economic and enviornment into The Mess. This is possibly one of the best books I have read with powerful solution for a world that works for all. This book encourages deep thought and it is well writen for easy understanding and enjoyment. I recommend that everyone should read this book. It's that powerful, inspiring and motivating for a better compassion toward eachother humans and non-humans.
Glen Gersmehl
Dec 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
[[ this list's focus is the most insightful and useful books on the most compelling issues of our time, including analyses, action manuals, first person accounts, histories . . . as well as more than a little biography, poetry, fiction . . . ]]
Alejandro
Sep 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A must-read. Enables you to take responsibility of the consequences of your life for the whole world, without falling into the moral qualms that most other books on the subjects use or the justifications we use to protect ourselves.
Wanderingmindanaorebel
Apr 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Very insightful!
Diana Heme
Dec 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing
my philosophy for life, loved this book, have shared it with many
Mamaknitty The Reader
Aug 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
Such compassion, such insight! I love this book. Everyone should read it
Greg Czyszczon