Start by marking “Animal Kingdom” as Want to Read:
Animal Kingdom

Animal Kingdom

2.32  ·  Rating details ·  38 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Based on the critically acclaimed film written and directed by David Michod.
Published July 19th 2010 by Victory Books

To ask other readers questions about Animal Kingdom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Animal Kingdom

Paul
Nov 06, 2013 rated it liked it
This is not a bad book, the story is good, but I didn't like the author's style. And, as most film novelisation are, it's not as good as the film. It's testament to the great performances of Ben Mendelsohn and Jackie Weaver as Pope and Smurf, rather than the author's skill, that I couldn't read this book without seeing & hearing them in my mind, and I think that has made me give the book a higher rating than I otherwise might have.
Josh
Aug 05, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: own, read_2013
The novelisation of the Australian crime film noir ANIMAL KINGDOM lacks depth and style, reading more like a screen-play than fully fleshed novel.

The concept far outweighed the execution. Sewell's adaptation could've resulted in a great and memorable piece of Australian crime fiction if only the author had neglected to adopt the James Patterson lack of explicit detail and two dimensional characterisation approach to writing this violent and bloody tale.

J, a 17yr old has led a rough life. With
Mary Pechacek
Oct 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Sure I can read that in the reviews quite few people have called it crap. But enter the world of crime and live in it either for real, on the edge of it or deal with it in your daily life as part of what you do and the writing takes on quality that is very real. The language to me is as if the writer is actually witness to this life that is written about as the main character and expresses it from a perspective quality that reflects growing up with a heroin addict mother and then being tossed in ...more
Toni Mann
Apr 12, 2014 rated it it was ok
Having not seen the movie, which came highly recommended, I expected more of this book. I found it slow and uninspiring for the most part but just as I was about to give up, the story took an interesting turn. I ended up enjoying the story but wasn't impressed with the writing. I will give the movie a go and see if it's been portrayed better on screen.
Kate
Sep 28, 2013 rated it did not like it
As a book based on a movie it always had the potential to be dodgy and, well, it was. Something of an underbelly wannabe with characters whose parallels to certain high profile crime personas was evident. I found the central character J to be severely underdeveloped and I would probably have found the screenplay for the movie to be a better read.
Jenny
Nov 18, 2013 rated it did not like it
J lives on the fringe of his criminal family until his mother dies and he goes to live with his grandmother and uncles, the heart of a major criminal family. Will J be able to resist becoming involved in the familiy's criminal and violent life style? This is a book written about a film. WHY? It is simplistic, no depth, and poorly written.
Sue
Feb 05, 2011 rated it did not like it
One of the dullest books I've ever read. If I could have given this 1/2 a star or less I would have. The plot was tardy and hackneyed. The characterization was far too shallow for my liking. All in all it read like a very cheap TV drama that we've all seen time and time again.
Calzean
I have not seen the movie but can see why the movie has such good reviews. This book reads like a summary of the movie. The development of characters is not covered well, the violence is mentioned not described and the corruption of the police is just to obvious.
Alicia Wasley
Mar 08, 2013 rated it it was ok
Not a bad story, unfortunately not much depth and very short.
Vireya
Apr 22, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: australia, book-club
At least it was very quick to read.

Not to my taste at all. I don't know what my book club were thinking when they chose this one.
Beatles1964
Sep 16, 2012 rated it did not like it
Book and movie absolute garbage.
Mish
Apr 13, 2011 rated it did not like it
I have not seen the movie but this book is crap. I think it was written to get the movie people suckered in. Disapointed beyond belief!
Emma