Start by marking “The Global Nomad's Guide to University Transition” as Want to Read:
The Global Nomad's Guide to University Transition

The Global Nomad's Guide to University Transition

Children who grew up interacting with two or more cultures during their developmental years often have an inability to connect with their home-country peers. This guide addresses the common issues students face when they are making the double transition of not only adjusting to a new life-stage, such as college, but to a cultural change as well.
Published June 2nd 2010 by Summertime Publishing (first published June 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Global Nomad's Guide to University Transition, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Global Nomad's Guide to University Transition

Esther Brumme
Never judge a book by its cover! Ha! I wish this guide was around when I was at uni. Why not update it with more global stories for those transitioning to counties other than US. Or with a more contemporary personality model like the enneagram model rather than the now somewhat limiting Myers-Briggs.. Still found lots of timeless TCK cornerstone gems here that will help uni students to thrive in their transition: Dr. Pollock, Libby Stephens, Dr. Schaetti.. well done on compiling such a compellin ...more
Lorraine
Nov 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Purchased this after seeing Tina Quick speak at school. Very helpful guide for both students and parents. While I read the entire book, each chapter stands alone and can be read when you need it. Even though I wasn’t a TCK, this book would have been enormously helpful when I left home to attend university over 1,000 miles away.
Ccdemaio
Feb 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A must read for any expat with teenage kids. Honestly, Tina Quick has hit upon nearly every subject my college age daughter and I have discussed it issue we have run into. It has also helped with the communication and understand between my HS age daughter who was forced to move in her HS years. A go-to book for us for sure!!
Linda A Janssen
This was required reading for our son before he headed back 'home' to university last year, and he/we have referred to it many times since. Don't be deceived: this book is terrific not only for young global nomads/expats/TCKs heading off to university, but also for their peers choosing to go straight into the working world, and parents/family members for a fuller awareness of what they're going through.

The key is that Quick builds on the work of the cross-cultural pioneers who came before her,
Cameron Nash
Jan 25, 2014 rated it liked it
This book was pretty boring, and honestly i really had to force myself through it. BUT, there was a lot of importance for someone like me as a missionary kid to read this. It was very practical in everything it had to said. Instead of just telling me that it would be hard to transition into college, it gave me easy checklists and expectations for my next year. I recommend this book for all my friends because, even though it was boring, and yes, you will have to force yourself through it, it is v ...more
Zane
Nov 23, 2015 rated it liked it
This book offered valuable insight for TCKs and their parents. It is also valuable for educators and college counselors to help guide and offer transitional assistance about what it means to be "different"or not know where you are from. I also appreciated this offering the term Third Culture Person or TCP as many people now living abroad also share a diverse and culturally rich perspectives that are similar to TCKs. A very helpful book for anyone living abroad and especially those with Third Cul ...more
Julie
Mar 10, 2016 rated it liked it
Very good information contained in the book! I wish it had been written in a way that would be more engaging for high school seniors with somethings for parents. I will continue my search and definitely reference this book and recommend it to parents
Melissa
Jan 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I read this to supplement "Third Culture Kids." It was much more current and useful as the parent of a child considering returning to the US for university after being raised in Holland. I would highly recommend this to all my expat friends--not only should they read it, but their kids should too.
Merridy
Oct 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book. Both for parents and children. Filled with anecdotes as well as practical information for you and your child as they transition from school to university.
Rebecca