Start by marking “Websters' First New Intergalactic Wickedary of the English Language” as Want to Read:
Websters' First New Intergalactic Wickedary of the English Language

Websters' First New Intergalactic Wickedary of the English Language

A bold and rollicking new dictionary spinning off from the work of radical feminism's most creative wordweaver, identified as the first and still the most challenging of contemporary philosophers.--Robin Morgan, Ms. Magazine. 30 illustrations.
Published October 1st 1987 by Beacon Press (MA)

Be the first to ask a question about Websters' First New Intergalactic Wickedary of the English Language

Lucy
May 26, 2012 rated it did not like it
I've heard a lot of people call Mary Daly a misandrist. I say that's nonsense. She also hates any woman who is trans and/or disagrees with her. Which would be most women. But I digress.

Not only is this book misanthropic, but it's unreadable. Her attempts to be clever came off as obnoxious, someone needs to take her shift and hyphen keys away from her, and the illustrations (by Jane Caputi) are hideous. For someone who only likes cis women who agree with her, she has quite the fixation on the pha
Louise Chambers
Classic Must Read of Lesbian Feminist Theory. Fun and highly entertaining.
Kirsten Kowalewski
Feb 22, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: feminist theologians and language lovers
Shelves: nonfiction
I had read a bunch of other Mary Daly and loved how she played with/reclaimed/invented words, so I was really looking forward to her Wickedary. It is structurally very confusing as a dictionary, because instead of going alphabetically she creates 'word webs' preceded by long prose passages.

When I was initially reading her stuff I thought she was really revolutionary in her approach and I know she had to prove her worth over and over again... I didn't see her anger so much as her creativity. As
Meagan
Jan 29, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: young women, feminists, witches, lesbians, men, etymologists
I was lucky as a budding witch to find a copy of this. I began to think about the words I used in ritual in a whole new way. The concept of deciding how we interact with reality through speech is only now coming into study by modern chaos, memetic & mnemonic magicians. Ms. Daly, as always, ahead of us on the curve, pointing out the sights we shouldn't miss.
Bethany
Jun 29, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Something between a dictionary and a manifesto, The Wickedary should be in the library of anyone who reads Mary Daly's work. The word-play is phenomenal, the book's structure embraces hypertext, and the definitions are wickedly delightful.
Annie
Feb 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
irreplaceably bracing!
G.L. Morrison
Mar 12, 2018 rated it liked it
It's been so many years since I revisited Daly's epic love poem to language, feminism and philosophy, I'm afraid to rate it higher. There were no doubt huge blind spots in my and her perspectives that I prefer to leave in the past. But as I was recently looking for a quote from it (a be-spelled definition) it seemed fair to acknowledge how much I once loved it and it has an important place in our and my history.
Jana
Nov 12, 2007 added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who collect/worship words
really really fun book: daly and co-writer take words and play games with them, around the themes of feminism. word-game-alicious with new takes on themes that make your head spin! i take it in, sift out the generalizations of "all men..." and suck on the new word ideas.
Elizabeth
Fun approach.
MotherMagic
Apr 17, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ecofeminism
Biting and delicious, sarcastic sassin' of the man, a feminist Devil's Dictionary, I love it so!
Erin
Jul 08, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • The Woman's Dictionary of Symbols and Sacred Objects
  • Weaving the Visions: New Patterns in Feminist Spirituality
  • Ancient Mirrors of Womanhood: A Treasury of Goddess and Heroine Lore from Around the World
  • Becoming Orgasmic: A Sexual and Personal Growth Program for Women
  • Women's America: Refocusing the Past
  • Another Mother Tongue
  • With Her in Ourland
  • Woman Defamed and Woman Defended: An Anthology of Medieval Texts
  • The Myth of Matriarchal Prehistory: Why an Invented Past Will Not Give Women a Future
  • The Grandmother of Time: A Woman's Book of Celebrations, Spells, and Sacred Objects for Every Month of the Year
  • Carnal Knowledge and Imperial Power: Race and the Intimate in Colonial Rule
  • AIDS and Its Metaphors
  • Les Guérillères
  • Making Sex: Body and Gender from the Greeks to Freud
  • Heartbreak: The Political Memoir of a Feminist Militant
  • Dreaming the Dark: Magic, Sex, and Politics
  • The Invention of Heterosexuality
  • Against Equality: Queer Critiques of Gay Marriage
Mary Daly was an American radical feminist philosopher, academic, and theologian. Daly, who described herself as a "radical lesbian feminist", taught at Boston College, a Jesuit-run institution, for 33 years. Daly consented to retire from Boston College in 1999, after violating university policy by refusing to allow male students in her advanced women's studies classes. She allowed male students i ...more