Start by marking “The Chimpanzees of Gombe: Patterns of Behavior” as Want to Read:
The Chimpanzees of Gombe: Patterns of Behavior

The Chimpanzees of Gombe: Patterns of Behavior

Dr. Goodall crowns her first quarter-century with the chimpanzees of Gombe by giving a comprehensive, up-to-date account of her work, a grand synthesis of animal behavior that presents a vast amount of information about man's nearest phylogenetic relative. 336 black-and-white, 23 color halftones. Illustrations.
Published December 31st 1986 by Belknap Press (first published September 1st 1986)

To ask other readers questions about The Chimpanzees of Gombe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Chimpanzees of Gombe

Rossdavidh
Oct 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: green, oversized
I have realized that the reason I have been putting off writing this review, is that I am a bit intimidated by it. The reason is, that Jane Goodall is a person for whom I have a very high esteem, and the idea of trying to sum up what I think of her book is putting me on edge, like I need to be on my "A" game. Doubtless, I am not, but it is time to write it anyway.

Jane Goodall was advised by Louis Leakey to study chimpanzees, because they were the animal species most closely related to humans (bo
AC
This is a really huge book -- 600 pages with small print and large format... and I will have to read it very slowly... I am reading it to my *____*, to help them fall asleep... This is not one of her popular books, but the book she published in 1986 that captures in full, and in scientific form, her life's work. The volume I bought (second-hand) has a lovely inscription in it, written in the year of publication and from a woman who seems to have known Goodall personally, as she refers to her as ...more
Thalia
Apr 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
A wonderful book for people who an into animal behavior. NOT a mass-market book, but a book full of details and data descriptions.
Cottageunderhill
I couldn't read the entire book because the violence and diseases made me cry. But, other than that I must say that this scientific evaluation of the chimpanzees of Gombe left me with a more profound sense towards animals and with the awesomeness that is Dame Jane Goodall. I totally wish I could meet her in person. :)
Bones
Feb 21, 2010 rated it really liked it
An excellent compilation of data in regard to the chimps at Gombe Reserve National Park, which Goodall devoted most of her life to studying.

It covers all behaviours, quantifying them, and has decent pictures. I would really like to see an updated version of this work, as it is very monumental.
Frank Ashe
Goodall is a fantastic scientist, one of the few who open up whole areas originally unexplored.
Ty
Oct 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I read this in conjunction with an Animal Behavior course I took in college and then reread it recently. I realize it's not mainstream reading; but I loved it.
Jessica
Jan 31, 2014 marked it as to-read
Shelves: animals
Recommended by Octavia Butler in afterward to "the evening and the morning and the night" in Bloodchild
Kathy
Mike
Nov 13, 2007
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Bonobo: The Forgotten Ape
  • The Octopus and the Orangutan: New Tales of Animal Intrigue, Intelligence, and Ingenuity
  • Walking with the Great Apes: Jane Goodall, Dian Fossey, Birute Galdikas
  • Beautiful Minds: The Parallel Lives of Great Apes and Dolphins
  • Jane Goodall: The Woman Who Redefined Man
  • The Animal Manifesto: Six Reasons for Expanding Our Compassion Footprint
  • The Inner World of Farm Animals: Their Amazing Intellectual, Emotional and Social Capacities
  • Jane Goodall: 40 Years at Gombe
  • Reflections of Eden: My Years with the Orangutans of Borneo
  • The Elephant's Secret Sense: The Hidden Life of the Wild Herds of Africa
  • Next of Kin: My Conversations with Chimpanzees
  • Becoming a Tiger: How Baby Animals Learn to Live in the Wild
  • Symbiotic Planet: A New Look at Evolution (Science Masters)
  • A Neotropical Companion: An Introduction to the Animals, Plants, and Ecosystems of the New World Tropics - Revised and Expanded Second Edition
For the Australian academic and mystery writer, see Professor Jane R. Goodall.

Dame Jane Morris Goodall, DBE (born Valerie Jane Morris-Goodall), is a British primatologist, ethologist, anthropologist, and UN Messenger of Peace. Considered to be the world's foremost expert on chimpanzees, Goodall is best known for her 45-year study of social and family interactions of wild chimpanzees in Gombe Strea