Start by marking “Small Time Operator: How to Start Your Own Business, Keep Your Books, Pay Your Taxes, And Stay Out of Trouble!” as Want to Read:

Be your own boss. Here is the help you need to take control of your life and be a success, on your own terms.
Published September 28th 2006 by Bell Springs Pub (first published May 28th 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Small Time Operator, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Small Time Operator

Start your review of Small Time Operator: How to Start Your Own Business, Keep Your Books, Pay Your Taxes, And Stay Out of Trouble!
Lyn
May 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Very informative. I took lots of notes. Entrepreneur mindset. Planning.
Haley Hixson
Sep 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was written in an entertaining and conversational style, considering the content (LOTS of stuff about taxes and payroll). Overall useful for considering starting a business. Even though I have a business/accounting degree, this book brought up things I hadn't considered and will probably prove to be a good reference in the future.
James
Apr 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone
Shelves: diy, non-fiction
When I first started my consulting business back in the '80s, this book was a godsend. I haven't the more recent versions but the synopsis looks promising for people in the US starting new businesses. Even the older editions are better than winging it and hoping you don't mess up. But but the new edition, it's inexpensive and invaluable.
Kira Brighton
Dec 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was helpful for figuring out taxes, certainly, so I'm grateful for that!
Matt Harding
Nov 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was informative, and gave a lot of detail about the paperwork/taxes/growth of various small business types. For me, it was a helpful overview of the types of things one should consider when starting a business, hiring employees, etc. Of course, since it touches on so many business types, there was a reasonable amount of information that was not directly relevant to me as a reader.

It has been updated with recent tax code changes, but the tech components are still a bit behind the times.
Lauren
Jan 23, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommended to Lauren by: Jenny Hart
This book was recommended to me by Jenny Hart of Sublime Stitching as an invaluable resource for answering common business questions like, "How do I pay my taxes as a business owner?" "Should I incorporate?" "Do I need a permit to do this?" etc. If a recommendation from the highly successful and oh-so-smart Jenny Hart isn’t enough for you, Amazon tells me this book is now in its twenty-seventh edition. Seriously. Kamoroff will not give you examples of guerrilla marketing on the cheap, but when ...more
Nicole
Oct 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business
This handbook was rather informative & easy to understand for the one who wants to learn more information about starting their own business. As someone dabbling in the idea of a home-based company, it helped me organize my thoughts & narrow down what I need to look into before I go any further. I took plenty of notes & will use them as I delve forward into this exciting but unsure world of entrepreneurship! I recommend for the newbie who is thinking about starting their own business. ...more
CJ Flynn
Nov 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: real-estate
If you are going to start a business this is one of the best books that you could read. I have read many books like it but none really come close to how good this one is from topics to its general readability. I would Highly recommend it to anyone interested in learning more about small and start up business!
Lauryl
Jun 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Clear and full of good and often funny quotes. This is like a driver's license test: learn the rules before you go out and get creamed. If you're up for starting a business here in the States, which this book taught me I'm not (yet), it will tell you what to do in a neat and helpful way.
Colleen
Sep 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book for anyone starting a business and needs a guide on where to begin, where to go, and how to grow. While I did read through the entire book, I definitely plan to visit specific chapters frequently as a frame of reference and more in depth learning.
Kevin
Mar 03, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: class
School textbook. Lots of typos, and the formatting was difficult to get through. There may have been some useful information, but I either didn't get to it or couldn't find it in the errors.
Dele Omotosho
Apr 30, 2016 rated it liked it
An interesting and insightful book for small business owners though I would have loved if it touched on a few more online tools.

Perhaps the next edition.
Harmony T.
Apr 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great info for start-ups with easy to understand small business tax info.
Ursula
Good basic overview; recommended
Sarah Sammis
Dec 16, 2007 rated it it was ok
Shelves: pc, released, read-in-1997
Back in the days of trying to run my own business.
Tara
Jan 29, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very general and basic, but full of really good information. Makes you realize a lot of aspects of running your own business without making it seem totally overwhelming.
William & Kim
thomas clarke
Jul 02, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Business Boutique: A Woman's Guide for Making Money Doing What She Loves
  • Free Marketing: 101 Low and No-Cost Ways to Grow Your Business, Online and Off
  • The One Year Love Language Minute Devotional
  • Start Your Own Business
  • Legal Guide for Starting and Running a Small Business
  • The Successful Business Plan: Secrets & Strategies
  • Devotions for a Sacred Marriage: A Year of Weekly Devotions for Couples
  • Accounting Game: Basic Accounting Fresh from the Lemonade Stand
  • How to Talk so Little Kids Will Listen: A Survival Guide to Life with Children Ages 2-7
  • Bearded Gospel Men: The Epic Quest for Manliness and Godliness
  • The Nature of True Virtue
  • How to Succeed or, Stepping-Stones to Fame and Fortune
  • Retire Inspired: It's Not an Age, It's a Financial Number
  • Open Road Summer
  • The Autobiography of Andrew Carnegie
  • The Thousand-Dollar Tan Line (Veronica Mars, #1)
  • Unzipped (Forbidden Fantasies #1)
  • Acres of Diamonds