Start by marking “Looking Forward: Participatory Economics for the Twenty First Century” as Want to Read:
Looking Forward: Participatory Economics for the Twenty First Century

Looking Forward: Participatory Economics for the Twenty First Century

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  36 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
How work can be organized efficiently and productively without hierarchy; how consumption could be fulfilling and also equitable; and how participatory is planning could promote solidarity and foster self-management.
Published July 1st 1999 by South End Press (first published December 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Looking Forward, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Looking Forward

Ariel
Apr 05, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Ariel by: Lambert
Shelves: radical-politics
Finally finished this book! Looking Forward is an optimistic and practical model to an egalitarian, democratic alternative to capitalism and central planning. Looking Forward isn't perfect, but I appreciate the vision instead of critique. Looking Forward reminded me of radical science fiction because Albert and Hahnel try to manifest their utopian future, but unlike fiction, they're explicit about what they're doing.
Dana Garrett
Jun 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: anarchism-read
If you ever wondered how a left anarchist society might work socially and economically, then read this book. The language of the work is deliberately accessible, a real plus. Reading it, though, might be dangerous. You might be convinced that such a society is far more desirable than any society we have seen so far. I am convinced.
Nathan Colquhoun
May 08, 2013 rated it liked it
started off interesting but got difficult to stay interested as everything got more hypothetical and harder to imagine society ever getting close to what they suggest. I love the concept but would need way more practical ways smaller groups are actually doing it.
Lambert
Dec 15, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Looking Forward lays out a detailed vision of a libertarian socialist economy, an alternative to capitalism and state socialism. Next time someone tells you there is no viable alternative to capitalism, tell them to read this book. I've probably recommended Looking Forward to more people than any other book. While Albert and Hahnel have both written numerous other books on Parecon (I've read most of them) this one is the best and the most accessable. It is written in plain language and full of g ...more
Scott
May 31, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
Really worth a read. The presented alternative economy gives you a lot of perspective on economic relations between people.
Ken
Jun 02, 2007 rated it really liked it
A brave book with interesting potential.

I was torn though on his use of straw men-representing Command socialism, Mixed capitalism, and Free market-lassiez faire perspectives.

I fight my own cynicism in saying that maybe we need more utopian dreams again.
Mark Stevens
May 23, 2007
Corbin
Nov 14, 2007
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the Goodreads' database with this name. See this thread for more information.

American activist, speaker, and writer. He is co-editor of ZNet, and co-editor and co-founder of Z Magazine. He also co-founded South End Press and has written numerous books and articles. He developed along with Robin Hahnel the economic vision called participatory econom
More about Michael Albert...