Start by marking “Cities and the Creative Class” as Want to Read:
Cities and the Creative Class

Cities and the Creative Class

In his compelling follow-up to The Rise of the Creative Class, Richard Florida outlines how certain cities succeed in attracting members of the 'creative class' - the millions of people who work in information-age economic sectors and in industries driven by innovation and talent.
Published November 19th 2004 by Routledge (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Cities and the Creative Class, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cities and the Creative Class

Michael Lewyn
Nov 01, 2014 rated it liked it
The basic thesis of this book is that socially tolerant cities tend to have high levels of education and high-technology employment, which in turn leads to regional economic growth. To my unsophisticated eyes, he appears to have shown some correlation between social tolerance and a high-tech economy. But his analysis raised some questions:

*Is it possible to establish which way the causal chain runs? That is, does economic growth cause tolerance or vice versa? Florida writes that declining cities
Kangning Huang
Aug 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: directed-reading
The author proposes a three T's model to explain why some cities thrive while others decline.

The three T's include: tolerance, talent, and technology. High tolerance allows a city to accept diverse talented people and various new technologies. As a consequence, the talented people will recombine existing technologies and further develop new ones. Eventually, talent and technology will become the strongest sources of economic growth, pushing up the incomes.

The idea that diverse people and technol
Kevin Spicer
Feb 25, 2012 rated it it was ok
good intro on post-industrialization. I thought it was kind of boring and repetitive overall, the three t's (technology, talent and tolerance) over and over and over again. He argues these t's drive economic growth in large cities. I like his emphasis on the importance of creating jobs that tap into the creativity in everybody. I don't like how he fails to see how his argument is culturally situated. That a certain kind of culture is a precursor for growth in a post-fordist economy, namely a tol ...more
Mike Horton
Mar 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
I am a disciple of Florida's research, so my opinion is going to be slanted, unfortunately. I think he's brilliant and has uncovered a very fresh perspective on how cities and urban regions must reinvent themselves in order to attract businesses and, more importantly, attract and retain the talent that will fuel the success of the economy of those cities and regions. The idea of the Creative Class is fascinating, and the truth behind Florida's thinking is playing out across the geographic spectr ...more
Ben Williams
Apr 23, 2008 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed the premise of the book. I had never thought of creativity as an economic driver, and Florida makes a decent case. However, I feel like it may be a chicken-and-the-egg sort of problem. Do creative people gentrifying neighborhoods create growth, or is the fact that creative people are gentrifying neighborhoods simply a sign of growth. Florida failed to convince me on his argument; I feel it is more of a signal of growth than a precursor.
Madeline
obviously useful approach to post-industrial urban theory, but the whole time i could not help but think this guy was talking about the young, white, good-looking, intelligentsia. his definition of diversity is problematic as well.
CJ Romberger
Aug 16, 2007 marked it as to-read
Recommended by Michelle Raines
Michael
Feb 21, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: urban dorks
mr florida, back again, telling us smart people where we live
John
Jan 02, 2008 rated it it was ok
Recommended to John by: barry seifer
Shelves: non-fiction
to be honest i had trouble getting through the stats.
!Tæmbuŝu
Nov 24, 2014
Dalicja
Sep 26, 2011
Yuxi
rated it did not like it
Aug 17, 2017
May 18, 2014
Susie
May 08, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Wrestling with Moses: How Jane Jacobs Took On New York's Master Builder and Transformed the American City
  • Counselling Skills For Dummies® (For Dummies)
  • Naked City: The Death and Life of Authentic Urban Places
  • The Architecture of Community
  • The 8th Habit Personal Workbook: Strategies to Take You from Effectiveness to Greatness
  • Social Theory: The Multicultural And Classic Readings
  • The Politics of Women's Bodies: Sexuality, Appearance, and Behavior
  • Cities of Tomorrow: An Intellectual History of Urban Planning and Design in the Twentieth Century
  • Consulting for Dummies
  • Men's Lives
  • Business Plans for Dummies
  • Rites of Passage at $100,000 to $1 Million+: Your Insider's Lifetime Guide to Executive Job-Changing and Faster Career Progress in the 21st Century
  • Thirteen Ways of Looking at a Black Man
  • The Creative Economy: How People Make Money From Ideas
  • Complete MBA For Dummies
  • Straphanger: Saving Our Cities and Ourselves from the Automobile
  • Neo-Bohemia: Art and Commerce in the Postindustrial City
  • Business Intelligence for Dummies
Richard Florida (born 1957 in Newark, New Jersey) is an American urban studies theorist.
Richard Florida's focus is on social and economic theory. He is currently a professor and head of the Martin Prosperity Institute at the Rotman School of Management, at the University of Toronto. He also heads a private consulting firm, the Creative Class Group.
Prof. Florida received a PhD from Columbia Univers