Start by marking “Backstop: A Baseball Love Story in Nine Innings” as Want to Read:
Backstop: A Baseball Love Story in Nine Innings

Backstop: A Baseball Love Story in Nine Innings

4.45  ·  Rating details ·  22 Ratings  ·  5 Reviews
You know Backstop. He plays for any team in any city in America with a major league ball club. You cheer him when he delivers, and boo him when he doesn’t. In what could be his last game after 14 years in the major leagues—the seventh game of the World Series—Backstop chronicles his rookie season, takes the reader to Chicago where he finds romance, and reveals the heartbre ...more
Published December 31st 2009 by Second Wind Publishing, LLC (first published December 30th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Backstop, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Backstop

Sheila
Jul 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
I’m not really into sports, but the cover of J. Conrad Guest’s novel, Backstop, has a woman’s hand holding the ball and promises A Baseball Love Story in Nine Innings. So I learn there are nine innings in a baseball game.

I grew up English so I started this novel knowing very little about baseball—it includes a bat, a ball, and the need to run, but it’s not cricket. Still, the narrator, Backstop, describes his sport and his life in this book in a way that makes me care about him and the game. Som
Erma Odrach
Mar 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Backstop plays for the Detroit Tigers, and to say he is passionate about baseball is an understatement. He doesn’t see the players as “sweaty athletes mostly brawn with little between the ears”; on the contrary, he sees baseball as something intricate and artistic, even poetic. He says, “… the balance, the shifting of weight and rotation of hips, the extension of arms … it’s all poetry in motion.”

Forever haunted by his disapproving late father, this lover of baseball, and lover of poetry one da
Dellani Oakes
Dec 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Backstop – A Baseball Love Story in Nine Innings by J. Conrad Guest, is a unique novel. Told in first person by the catcher, or backstop, of the Detroit Tigers, it chronicles his career from rookie to career's end.
Backstop, as everyone calls him, is an interesting man who breaks the jock mold. Hardly dumb, he continually surprises the reader with his intuitive insights and literary interests.
Darlene, the woman who wins Backstop's heart, is also an interesting character. Hurt by a bad relationsh
J.
Jan 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
"Baseball, like love, is a game of errors and regrets. Pop-outs, ground-outs, strike-outs. A bad swing, a bad throw, a bad hop. But what captivates us most is the possibility of the next at-bat, of the chance for a rally, of an unlikely clutch play that suddenly changes the stakes. This is where J. Conrad Guest meets us in Backstop: in this beautiful, hopeful place closest to our hearts, where we play for the love of the game, and we love with everything we have.”

—Rachael Perry, author of How to
Tom
Feb 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Backstop is a fictional catcher for the Detroit Tigers who is an amazingly good person. Off the field, he is everything that his childhood role model, Ty Cobb, was not. Sort of an An-Ty Cobb, if you will. Yet despite all this, one moment of failure may cost him everything he loves.
Lavonne
Dec 03, 2011
C.M. Hayden
Aug 03, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
Second Wind Publi...: * Book Discussion -- BACKSTOP by J. Conrad Guest 1 7 Sep 22, 2013 02:33PM
J. Conrad's first novel, January's Paradigm, was published in 1998. Current Entertainment Monthly in Ann Arbor, Michigan, wrote of January's Paradigm, "Readers will not be able to put it down." He has two other novels based on the Joe January character, One Hot January and January's Thaw.

Backstop: A Baseball Love Story In Nine Innings, was nominated a 2010 Michigan Notable Book, while the Lewis D
More about J. Conrad Guest...