Start by marking “When God Doesn't Make Sense” as Want to Read:
When God Doesn't Make Sense

When God Doesn't Make Sense

4.14  ·  Rating details ·  1,260 Ratings  ·  76 Reviews
An immensely practical book for those who are struggling with trials and heartaches they can't understand. Why does disease, divorce, rejection, death, or sorrow seep into our lives when we are trying to serve the Lord? It just doesn't seem fair!
Published July 16th 1993 by Tyndale House Publishers (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about When God Doesn't Make Sense, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When God Doesn't Make Sense

Gabe
Dec 22, 2012 rated it liked it
I thought I had an idea of how this book would be but I was totally wrong. I have never had a strong religious background and to be honest I have been intimidated in conversations with people with strong faith. I almost feel inadequate discussing deep topics such as religion because I keep my mind open and my open mind makes me feel like I have weak opinions when discussing these topics with individuals with stronger faith. I was given this book after such a discussion and felt like this might b ...more
Álex Oliva Silva
Jul 27, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Álex by: Alejandro Ordonez
Mientras más nos acercamos a Dios, más nos deslumbra su naturaleza, más nos sorprende, más nos fascina.

Este libro en particular aborda la soberanía de Dios y lo que Max Lucado llama "el don de la desdicha". Es sumamente conmovedor leer algunas de las historias y cómo, a pesar de nuestros intentos de entender las razones por las que muchas veces sufrimos, la voluntad de Dios siempre es lo que más nos conviene.
Jeff Williams
May 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I read Harold Kushner's "When Bad Things Happen to Good People," and this book stomps that into the mud. Dr. Dobson hits some very sensitive nerves but never flinches, himself. The book is for every Christian who ever wept and asked God, "Why?" or maybe just tilted their head and thought "Huh... what's God up to here?" It's a great book, and I highly recommend it.
Annette
Definitivamente los caminos del Señor son más altos que nos nuestros, y solo la fe nos mantiene en la senda de la vida en espera de la muerte, la cual realmente no es muerte.
No estoy molesta con Dios ni le refuto los actos sucedidos, recomiendo el libro a quienes sí lo están y a quienes necesitan reafirmar y hacer crecer su fe, a quienes atraviesan el peor de los momentos.

Un abrazo
Francisco Zamora
Seré lo mas respetuoso posible, es un buen libro para entender que la mayoría de las situaciones que enfrentamos no es culpa de una omnipotencia, comprendo que en momentos de la vida tendemos a culpar a otros por nuestros errores o caídas, pero al final todo sucede por las decisiones que tomamos, no digo que una enfermedad o un asesinato lo decidimos nosotros, pero nuestra forma de ser o nuestra forma de vivir podría llevar a ciertas cosas con finales poco coherentes, pero cuando eres alguien am ...more
Karen & Gerard
Oct 06, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who questions their faith
Shelves: christian
Holding on to your faith even When God Doesn't Make Sense deals with the topic of trusting God through hard times or times that just don't seem fair. The author gives many illustrations of times when people had bad things happen that just don't make sense, including illustrations from his own life. He gives some basic fundamental principles such as:

God is sovereign and is not accountable to man. No where does God promise to explain why he does anything or doesn't do something.

God wants us to tru
Kendra
Oct 14, 2010 rated it really liked it
Surprisingly helpful, considering I don't necessarily count myself as a fan of Dr. Dobson and/or Focus on the Family. The book made some really good points that I hadn't thought about. It was also reassuring that Dobson did not trivialize the real pain that certain people are going through, and he didn't blame it on them either by saying it was their "fault" or their sin that was causing the problems. There is a part toward the end of the book that discusses briefly pain caused by our own sin, b ...more
Cone
Mar 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Isaiah 55:8-9
8 “For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
neither are your ways my ways,”
declares the Lord.
9 “As the heavens are higher than the earth,
so are my ways higher than your ways
and my thoughts than your thoughts.

The secret things belong to the Lord...an eye-opener.
Summer
Feb 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
Thank you, James Dobson, for this book. I lost my father six months ago today and it has been the hardest thing I've ever had to endure in my life. Thank you for tackling the issue of grief and suffering with unflinching honesty but also hope. We don't need platitudes; we need a good grip on reality. Some questions are unanswerable in this life, but God is for us. No matter what.
Linda Lioun
Jul 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
لدي مجموعه كتب في ibook في هاتفي معظمها قد حملتها على هاتفي من صفحه مسيحيه على الانترنيت حوالي ٣٠ كتاب و اكثر ...
كنت في سفره الى لبنان و خلال بحثي على الهاتف صدفه وقع هذا الكتاب امام عيني
ما اقصد قوله كأن ظهوره امامي وفتره قرأتي له كانت بالفعل مناسبه جدا جدا.....
كانت تساورني معظم اسئله التي تناقش في هذا الكتاب بالرغم من اني لم احصل على اجابه منطقيه ملموسه انما كانت تبدو لي الاجابات البسيطه منطقيه و قريبه من قلبي و قابله للفهم
فكره الكتاب كانت لمانواجه الالم وعلى من يقع الذنب و كيف نتعامل مع هكذ
Friday Otuya
Jan 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
I would like to title it ''What to do when God seem not to make Sense''. The author who is very experienced in these matters, highlights how biblical characters as well as everyday people, found themselves in dire circumstances where God's will seem not to make sense. They felt embarrassed, disappointed, disillusioned, hated, rejected, dejected and all the other 'ecteds'. They looked unto the God in whom they had built their faith overtime, but got no answer.
But what are we supposed to do in ti
Jason
Jul 06, 2014 rated it liked it
I was really digging the dr's ideas on giving God time with issues. That prayer is not wasted. he had several good points on how God works in our lives. all until he got to the part about The Beatles. It stinks that his view point on peaceful band is that they started demon music and got the listeners to start using drugs. I understand the Dr is conservative but I feel that he didn't do his research here and it soured me on the rest of his ideas (I know this might seem petty but it is how I feel ...more
Casey Spencer hubbard
Apr 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I was given this book after a hard time in my life and I'm SO thankful for it--what a wonderful gift at such a sad time in my life.

It is very well written, easy to follow and filled with insight! I have quoted it many times to others who have gone through tough situations and I would love to read other James C. Dobson books!!!

I recommend this to everyone--whether you've gone through a painful time in your life or not--we all will have sad times to endure and this book definitely reminded me tha
Emmanuel Obu
Jan 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
What do you do when after trusting God, being faithful to him and yet trouble and inexplicable fate befalls you? This is a book that helps answer hard question about things we can't just reason out, why terrible things at times happen to God's people. Today People are hurting and discouraged in serving and believing God because of their troubles,Jame Dobson in this book clearly shows God is still a caring father at all time and knows exactly how to pull us through any situation. This book restor ...more
Delene
Jan 25, 2014 rated it liked it
Dr. Dobson is a well respected Christian author and speaker for good reason. In this book he explores, with many real life examples, reasons why we feel that God doesn't make sense. We all have the opportunity to ask why or wonder about God's involvement in our situation at some point in our life. "When God doesn't make sense" doesn't answer all of the why's but sure helps put many of our questions and even some of our circumstances into a biblical perspective that is comforting and thought prov ...more
Deanna
May 18, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: theology
Wonderful book. Easy to read. The title explains it all. If you have ever had thoughts of "why?" and "how come?" directed toward the Creator, this book by Dobson gives some great, down to earth, biblically sound answers. He doesn't sing song his way around the difficult questions but embraces them. Dobson deals wonderfully with the doctrine of suffering and how it fits into the lifestyle of being a follower of Christ and a human just living on the earth.
Cheri McLelland
Aug 30, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: hardback-to-buy
This was much different than I expected. I have read many books on the will of God and most are just junk. They use shallow, unsatisfactory answeres that do not help. James Dobson is different, he is honest and straightforward. His writing is extremely easy to read and relate to. By the time I was finished with it I actually felt much more at peace with my relationship with God and his plan over my life.
John Nichols
Oct 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
In his patient and kind way, Dr. Dobson tackles some tough questions believers may have when life throws us curve balls. Dobson's answers are backed with Scripture, and I found myself stopping at several points to walk away and digest what I just read. This is helpful advice from a noted authority, and he shares ample examples from his life to show he's been in the turmoil right along with the rest of us.
Erin
Dec 31, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: inspirational
A person I highly respect told me this was one of the most important books he had ever read and it helped shaped his faith at a formative time. I found it very good as well, although it wasn't anything "new" at this point in my life. Very real in how it looks at life's pains; very encouraging in relating the faithfulness and heart of God in those dark valleys.
Englandjennifer
May 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book was very well written. It's almost 5 star worthy but it didn't grab my full attention. This can be a hard concept for many people and I thought the last chapter wrapped it up very well. The stories were sad but show to others that you aren't alone that really hard things really do happen to other people.
Michelle
Jun 29, 2010 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: don't know I would?
Well this was a book someone told me I should read and lent it to me. Although the thought was kind it really was contrary to some things that I believe from my studies of the bible. So it took me a long time to read and upon my finishing it, I still felt like I did in the first chapter, not a book for me.
Jonimarie Whiting
Apr 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I've read this book at least 3 times over the last 10 years and it has helped encourage me through times when I was completely at the end of my rope and felt as though I was literally drowning. I'm so thankful that even when we don't feel God with us He is with us and He is in fact holding onto us and protecting us. :-)
Michael Hsu
Jul 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This book is an excellent reminder that we are only human with limited capabilities to comprehend the meaning of life. So rather than stressing yourself out in search for answers, let God be God and with that the assurance that He is all good and all powerful and He will guide us on the right path.
Courtney
Nov 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Amazing for those grieving and those facing seemingly unbearable trials. It is not an explanation of God's actions, but offers valuable insight to God's sovereignty and all knowing plan by sharing real life examples and their outcomes. Good book to read in the midst of the fire.

Thank You Dr. Dobson!

Peace and Love,

SuNWhoa
Sandy
Jan 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian
Excellent book. Dr. Dobson illustrates personal stories, sometimes his and of other people life experiences. We have questions that can't be answered this side of heaven, but he points us to scripture and God's promises to us. FAITH is our answer, hope and anchor in this life. Recommend it highly.
Hugo
Feb 23, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tiene algunos párrafos que son duros, no me agrada como hubiera querido, pero no dejo de reconocer que tiene capítulos muy acertados,y que tampoco tenemos muchas opciones, o lo aceptas y tienes FE o te hundes en una vida de amargura
Viashima
Oct 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is an awesome book on how to hold on to your faith and walk with God even when it seems like He's not on your team.
It's a good read for anyone coping with the tragedies of life and unanswered prayers.
Lacey
Jun 24, 2009 rated it really liked it
I find myself flying thrugh this book. Dr. James Dobson gives down to earth and practical answers on life and Christianity. He validates human emotions and how life sometimes just isn't fair even with a relationship with God.
Jareda
Jun 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
I wasn't sure what to expect when I got this book. Before this book, I had a lot go on in my life which questioned if God was still around me or heard me. This book answered a lot of questions that I was constantly asking.
Madelén
Sep 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant, brilliant! I learned so much out of reading this. Now I know many answers to give when my doubting friends confronts me. I recommend this book to everyone that is confused about why God does different things that does not make sence at the moment.
  • Three Steps Forward, Two Steps Back: Persevering Through Pressure
  • The Name
  • God's Guidance: A Slow and Certain Light
  • Honest to God?: Becoming an Authentic Christian
  • When God Weeps: Why Our Sufferings Matter to the Almighty
  • The Vanishing Conscience
  • Hope for the Troubled Heart: Finding God in the Midst of Pain
  • The Man in the Mirror: Solving the 24 Problems Men Face
  • Spiritual Disciplines for the Christian Life Study Guide (Life and Ministry of Jesus Christ)
  • Living the Extraordinary Life: Nine Principles to Discover It
  • When Christ Comes
  • How to Give Away Your Faith
  • Prodigals and Those Who Love Them
  • Jerusalem Countdown, Revised and Updated: A Prelude To War
  • Becoming a Woman of Purpose
  • Loving God
James C. Dobson, Ph.D., hosts the daily radio program Dr. James Dobson's Family Talk.

A licensed psychologist and marriage, family, and child counselor, he is a clinical member of the American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy. For 14 years Dr. Dobson was an associate clinical professor of pediatrics at the University of Southern California School of Medicine, and he served for 17 years
More about James C. Dobson

$10.74 $2.99
    $13.99 $1.99
    $5.99 $1.99
    $8.24 $1.99
  • How to Travel with a Salmon & Other Essays (A Harvest Book)
    $14.99 $1.99