Start by marking “Miracles” as Want to Read:
Miracles

Miracles

4.08  ·  Rating details ·  12,727 Ratings  ·  506 Reviews
In the classic Miracles, C.S. Lewis, the most important Christian writer of the 20th century, argues that a Christian must not only accept but rejoice in miracles as a testimony of the unique personal involvement of God in his creation.
Published April 21st 2015 by HarperOne (first published 1947)

To ask other readers questions about Miracles, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Miracles

Manny
Most people here on Goodreads will have had the experience of meeting an intelligent, witty, well-informed person who holds views that you absolutely do not agree with, but who defends them with imagination and force. This can often lead to extraordinarily enjoyable discussions, even if, at the end, your beliefs (at least, the ones you are aware of) have not been changed at all. Well, reading Miracles was rather like that for me, which is why I'm prepared to give it three stars. Lewis presents a ...more
Tim
May 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My inveterate hatred of magazines began during my sophomore year of college. I was at a friend's apartment, waiting for him to get out of the shower, when I noticed a TIME magazine on his coffee table. It had a big picture of Jesus on it, with the headline "What Do We Really Know About Jesus?"

At the time I was an atheist or, more accurately, an agnostic. But I'd spent quite a bit of time in class that year reading and discussing significant portions of the Old and New Testaments, as well as tran
K.D. Absolutely
I must admit that I think I did not fully understand what this book was trying to tell me. However, I am happy to say that I gave this book a chance: I read each word slowly and carefully even if I had more engaging fiction books in my currently-reading folder.

You see, I earlier read and liked his two later works, A Grief Observed (1961) and Mere Christianity (1957) before reading this earlier book that was first published in 1947. So, I invited some members of our book club to read this with m
Kurt
Aug 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a clear 5-star book. I was flat-out stunned by how wrong my prior expectations were for this book. I imagined this to be a less formal discussion on what miracles meant to Christians and maybe why God uses them, etc.

This is a philosophy book. It is the most intellectually challenging CS Lewis book I've read and it is totally worth it. This book uses logic and clear language to present a case for Divinity in general and the existence of the Supernatural. It then describes how miracles are
Cindy Rollins
Oct 31, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
I am trying to read through Lewis's Canon which is extremely fluid in places, not quite as canonized as Shakespeare. This book is pure Lewis. He takes a subject and logically works his way through it. We do not always understand what he is saying but he says it so well we do not care.

I always feel sad while reading Lewis that he is dead and not sitting across from me at the Bird and the Baby.
Brittany Petruzzi
Miracles is dense; more so than any Lewis book we’ve read this term. The entire book is a somewhat stealth exercise in Lewis’ presuppositional apologetic. By that I mean not that Lewis argues with the non-Christian from some imaginary set of shared presuppositions, but that he deftly dismantles the non-Christian’s presuppositions, leaving him standing there, naked, ashamed, and in desperate need of the Gospel. And he does it all before the non-Christian knows what’s happened.

It’s kind of like on
Douglas Wilson
May 21, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: theology
Excellent. Went through it again in March of 2016. Richer each time.
John
"Miracle" has become a dirty word in modern society. People generally view miracles as being, by their very definition, things that cannot possibly occur; therefore, anyone who argues for their existence is demonstrably an idiot. In this book, though, Lewis argues that miracles are only impossible so long as people consider Nature to encompass the entirety of all existence. He then capably demonstrates that Nature actually doesn't, thereby opening up an extensive range of fascinating possibility ...more
Sharla
Sep 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dense, complex and worth the read.

I have been trying to finish this book for a long time. Finally I brought it with me on a train and read it to the end.

The arguments and flow of logic are good but you really have to concentrate as you read to follow Lewis's thought process at points.

I am curious what individuals who aren't Christian would think of this book. Anybody want to tell me?
Andrew Orange
Jun 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book!
Bailey Marissa
This book is Lewis walking through each argument against miracles and explaining why miracles are possible despire said arguments.

Again, I do necessarily agree with everything but that's ok. This is still a good book, even though it is very hard to get through.

Recommended 14+
Ryan Hawkins
I thoroughly enjoyed this. I admit I was skeptical of the book at first, simply because I am not that interested in the philosophical debate on whether miracles happen or not, and because Lewis can be unpractically heady sometimes. But the book was much more than this.

The best way I know how to describe the book is to say that it is very similar to the apologetic works of Francis Schaeffer—yet more philosophical and I would say less clear than Schaeffer. His insights, critiques, and reasonings a
Rachel Rueckert
I hate to say that this was not my favorite C.S. Lewis book so far. Without a class discussion, I’m not sure I could have waded through half of the arguments Lewis brings up. It was intended for those who are skeptical of miracles, and that subject was definitely one that I have wondered about.

I am a Latter-day Saint, and I believe in miracles. But I have always been under the impression that God would use natural laws to govern those miracles, and they are miraculous because we do not understa
Emma Brown
Sep 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian, nonfiction
In this book, Lewis presents a curious blend of simplicity and deeply intellectual thought that requires one's whole attention to fully comprehend his meaning. I preferred taking a long time to sift through the material instead of rushing through, due to the heady concepts portrayed.

Oftentimes, I forgot that he was specifically addressing the plausibility of miracles, so I cannot say for certain how well he defends their possibility in this book; I was more caught up in the gems of insight that
Doug
Nov 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Already one of my favorites of C.S Lewis' books. The arguments for the existence of the supernatural (and hence, God) are much more thoroughly expounded in this volume than in the classic "Mere Christianity." As with his other books that I've read, there is much in this one that is simply beyond me. I try to follow the reasoning and get lost somewhere along the way. Or sometimes I just have no idea what he's talking about. But in the parts I can understand and grasp, I discover many priceless tr ...more
Jens Kristian Wikstøl
Jul 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Tettpakket med visdom og gode tankerekker. Nesten så det blir for mye av det gode. Blir liksom ikke ferdig med boken etter å ha lest den én gang, så mulig den fortjener fem stjerner, men da må jeg lese den hvert fall én gang til.
DD
Mar 28, 2017 rated it liked it
This was a very difficult read for me but I'm glad that I was able to read it.
MC
Feb 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the most mocked aspects of the Christian faith is the existence of miracles. In fact, the very heart of the Christian faith is based on a miracle. How can one believe in Christianity unless one believes in miracles, or at least is willing to allow for their existence? The simple answer, according to C. S. Lewis, is that they can't. In his book, Miracles, Lewis defended the logic of believing in such supernatural events.

In a fashion that those who have read his other Apologetics works wil
Mun
Aug 08, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christianity
I loved the first few chapters of this book. His whole philosophy on logic's place in naturalism was pretty darn brilliant. In fact, if he had just left it at the first four or so chapters, it would've been great. It wasn't until he got into Christian miracles that I started getting bored.

The problem is that he starting waxing lyrical. It became less about the truth and more about what sounded beautiful. Personally, I don't enjoy the concept of a suffering God, but it clearly mesmerised him. His
Morgan Djuna Sorais Harrigan
I really enjoyed Lewis' logical arguments. He is such a brilliant writer. Cosmo and I were laughing and I even teared up at one point, so it was a great read.
“It is a profound mistake to imagine that Christianity ever intended to dissipate the bewilderment and even the terror, the sense of our own nothingness, which come upon us when we think about the nature of things. It comes to intensify them. Without such sensations there is no religion. Many a man, brought up in the glib profession of som
Gregory Kerr
Dec 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Finished it yet again! Wonderful book. While the title would make it seem like it's going to be a book on certain miracles, it really is a philosophical exploration of human knowledge. It is about how we see the world. It argues against naturalism/physicalism, the idea that the scientific outlook is the only rational outlook (There is only physical reality). It requires the reader to consider the special nature of his/her own acts of reasoning. I find it very persuasive. It is one of my favorite ...more
Michelle
I won't even pretend that I was able to follow Mr. Lewis as deeply into this subject as he was able to go but I do feel I came away from this book with an understanding of several concepts which I had not considered. For me hopefully this book is a seed that will grow after further contemplation. While the audiobook was very well done, I do feel I would have benefited more by reading the actual text.
Paul Clark
Excellent book. Speaks to the issues of science/religion, nature, miracles, the new atheists, progressive Christianity, etc. If lots of people read this, lots of silly arguments would not be engaged!
G0thamite
This is my second or third time through. First read as a student in college years ago. This time it is making much more sense and I understand the issues much better. He anticipates what many critics of miracles are even now saying and answers them well.
Laurel Hicks
This makes perfect sense to me.
Seth Holler
Apr 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-five-star
Read for an undergraduate class in 2005, again on a C.S. Lewis binge in April 2014, and now again in March 2015 to teach. Five stars every time.
Morgan
Finally finished! It was hard (which is why it took me so long) but good. It mostly made sense, and I think I mostly agreed with it. And it's C. S. Lewis. How can I not like it?
Lisa
I am not even going to try to sound like this book made complete sense to me. I felt like I needed a PhD in philosophy and religious studies to wade through all of the arguments and off-chutes of arguments that C.S. Lewis makes in the case of miracles. However, in my slow and read out loud methods of trying to understand his arguments and presentations, I made my own mental diagrams and connect-the-dots to help me understand his philosophical deductions regarding the necessity of belief in mirac ...more
Amanda
Sep 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favorite thing about this book is that it's ultimately a commentary on the character of God. This exploration of miracles gave me a better picture of the way we experience His presence and the ways He authors & interacts with the natural world. A bit more philosophy heavy than some of Lewis' other books, but I really ended up enjoying the process of reading this one.

"Christ did not die for men because they were intrinsically worth dying for, but because he is intrinsically love, and there
Karen
Jan 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
C. S. Lewis - brilliant, as always! This is not an easy read, but full of tremendous insights and helps in sorting out our thinking.

"In reality we hate the division which makes possible the conception of either corpse or ghost. Because the thing ought not to be divided, each of the halves into which it falls by division is detestable."

"Almost the whole of Christian theology could perhaps be deduced from the two facts (a) That men make coarse jokes, and (b) That they feel the dead to be uncanny."
http://www.supplementsoffer.com/miracle-bust 1 2 Jul 25, 2017 10:43PM
Course In Miracles 1 3 Apr 22, 2017 03:24AM
African-American ...: January BB: Miracles 43 27 Feb 16, 2015 05:56PM
The Filipino Group: This topic has been closed to new comments. Miracles by C.S. Lewis (with K.D., Louize, Dante and Cary) Start: June 25 88 63 Jul 18, 2012 07:28AM
  • Evil and the Justice of God
  • The Everlasting Man
  • The Question of God: C.S. Lewis and Sigmund Freud Debate God, Love, Sex, and the Meaning of Life
  • A Christian Manifesto
  • Reasonable Faith
  • Socrates Meets Jesus: History's Greatest Questioner Confronts the Claims of Christ
  • Ethics (Works, # 6)
  • Deliver Us from Evil
  • On the Incarnation
  • Warranted Christian Belief
  • Proper Confidence: Faith, Doubt, and Certainty in Christian Discipleship
  • Reaching for the Invisible God: What Can We Expect to Find?
  • The Scandal of the Evangelical Mind
  • Think: The Life of the Mind and the Love of God
  • Defense of the Faith
  • Knowing Scripture
  • Basic Christianity

CLIVE STAPLES LEWIS (1898–1963) was one of the intellectual giants of the twentieth century and arguably one of the most influential writers of his day. He was a Fellow and Tutor in English Literature at Oxford University until 1954. He was unanimously elected to the Chair of Medieval and Renaissance Literature
“Miracles do not, in fact, break the laws of nature.” 189 likes
“In Science we have been reading only the notes to a poem; in Christianity we find the poem itself.” 47 likes