Start by marking “Introduction to Logic” as Want to Read:
Introduction to Logic

Introduction to Logic

This book introduces the fundamental methods and techniques of correct reasoning, in a manner that shows the relevance of the topics to readers� everyday lives. Many new exercises introduced in this edition help supplement and support explanations, aid in review, and make the book visually stimulating. This edition also includes a revised Logic tutorial on CD-Rom--further ...more
Paperback, 12th Edition, 683 pages
Published August 12th 2004 by Routledge (first published 1953)

Start your review of Introduction to Logic
Brian
Dec 12, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
a popular college logic textbook...I enjoyed it so much I've read it almost three times now (I realize I must have issues)
Christy
Dec 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
If I could learn formal logic from Copi, and enough to with Hempel and others to critique social statistics for *not* being deductive and using formal logic enough (my Ph.D. stats prof said he never thought formal logic "got you anywhere..."?) than anybody could learn it from this textbook. (Note: you must get older editions of logic textbooks as the newer ones are all watered-down "baby logic" and cover sometimes as little as half the topics as those classes did 30 years ago.) So goes "decision ...more
James
Dec 15, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
I read an earlier edition, obviously, because this one was published in 2001 and I read it as the text for a logic class in 1982; however, I still have the book in a handy spot on the shelf, which I can't say about any other book from that year, so it's stayed current and useful - a lot of its content is timeless.
This was a great eye-opener for me; I'd always had a skeptical and questioning way of thinking, but often although I'd have a gut sense that something I was hearing (in a commercial, a
carl
Apr 19, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: philosophy
this is a great book from a great time in my life. taking 15 hours of philosophy courses and intro logic along with formal logic. this was the text for formal/symbolic. im real right brained at times but this was an awesome experience.
Fernanda. Ribeiro
Apr 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: logic
If you want to start to study logic, this is the book!
Alex Ankarr
Nov 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
I got a lot out of it. My hardback edition was also rather beautiful. Sadly I would now be hard pressed to define a syllogism or inductive reasoning!
Argin Gerigorian
Jan 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: philosophy
One of the best textbooks, Copi and Cohen don't miss a thing.

It is very difficult though since they use a lot of symbols and formulas for logical structures.

Logic is similar to learning a new language whether Spanish or Coding, it takes a lot of practice, something that the authors provide at the end of each chapter.

This book was also highly praised by Greg Bahnsen, he recommends it in almost all of his courses on philosophy or logic.
Jacob Aitken
May 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reference, philosophy
Probably the most universal logic textbook on college campus. It's become a classic at this point. It's hard to justify paying the insane price. Just go for an earlier edition (I used the 9th, which you can find for $2 at amazon, instead of $175). What makes this text unique is its focus on the function of language.
Sharon Barrow Wilfong
May 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book introduces several methods of analyzing truth claims about reality and the universe and how to express these truths using mathematical symbols and formulae. I found some of it interesting, especially the section on argument fallacies but some of it seemed rather redundant. Rather how many different ways can we express "if A is true than B is also true" or conversely, "if C is not always true, then D cannot always (or ever) be true; if F is true, then G must be false..." and so on.

And
Jeremy
Sep 27, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this as a first-semester senior in college with Dr. Bob Taylor. In a class of 40 or so, I was first in the class all semester, and then on the final exam, I forgot to study an entire section, and I dropped down to second.

I can remember sitting there for a minute after the bell had rung to end the exam hour, and I was stuck on a certain problem. Suddenly it just came to me. I went to Dr. Taylor's office after he had graded them, and I had come up with the correct answer.
Dan
Dec 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Logic: post-structuralism to the contrary, it's what separates "us" from "them."
Jonathan
Apr 07, 2009 rated it really liked it
The only textbook from college worth keeping!
Benandvanessa
Aug 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Yes, I am a geek. This was a textbook. But it's really good!
Rick Davis
Aug 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: logic
A solid, classic introduction. Copi explains well and uses good examples.
Arun Mahendrakar
The book begins with an introduction of the very basic terminology - propositions, premises, and conclusions. It might sound very naive to start this low, but it helped me to refer back to the precise definitions of these words while reading through the rest of the chapters.

Written in plain and simple language, the book covers a breadth of concepts from categorization of fallacies to Venn diagrams to necessary and sufficient conditions. Some of these were new to me while others were a pleasant
Arthur Kyriazis
May 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
this is one of the basic texts of intro logic which has gone thru many editions and iterations.

it covers aristotelian logic completely as well as syllogisms, then covers mathematical logic, then proceeds to the meat of logic, true false tables and making out logic charts from sentences. modal logics and alternate logics are discussed.

logic is very important if you want to think clearly, be a scientist or attorney, or if you want to be any kind of programmer.

that language is a kind of set of sym
John Graham Wilson
Nov 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I read an earlier version of this book forty years ago and it still impresses me every time I open it. Irving Copi is the best on the market: very thorough, filled with examples, concentrates a lot on ordinary language. A must for writers who want to make strong arguments.
Daniel
Dec 21, 2009 rated it liked it
Good introduction to classical and modern logic. But a pretty dull read.
Khuram Shahzad
Dec 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Mind blowing. It was one the best books I have read in my life. It has changed my way of thinking and my concepts about mathematics. I think this book must be taught to every mathematician, at early stage. Mathematics is tasteless without understanding reasoning and logic.
Aisha
Jun 30, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Logic is stupid. For an introductory book it felt really advanced. Just not for me. I now actively warn people about the class I took. Ugh.
Noemi
Jul 07, 2017 rated it liked it
It's needs to include more examples and the mechanics of the crucial thinking process
Manzoor
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
good to read this book
Favour
Aug 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
It's an educative college book
Katherine
Dec 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very comprehensive and informative introduction to formal logic.
James Millikan SJ
My logic professor called the Copi and Cohen text a "libraso", a rather informal way of saying the book is a classic in the field. I couldn't agree more.

The section on diagraming arguments not only provides an excellent primer on the structure of reasoning, but also includes a huge number of examples taken from very interesting primary sources. This means that you learn the elements of logic while also learning key ideas from the history of philosophy.

The section on logical fallacies has foreve
Teri
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Finally read it. I had one when i was a freshman year. But i havnt got the patience to read it through. Finally, done. Still a lot of to learn... I think it is a starting point before seriously reading any philosophical books esp by modern philosopher. They ususually speak in the form of logical lanuage.
Melissa
Jun 15, 2010 marked it as to-read
Putting this one aside as it is over-my-head right now. May pick it up again in the middle of the winter when there's not so much other stuff going on and I can focus more....or maybe in a few years when the kids will be ready for it and they can explain it to me.
Shorabh
Nov 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
this book is really amazing.this book describe everything step by step with lot of examples. this book is for every student who want to understand logical theory and their uses to find out right or wrong sentence. but main problem is that this book not answer all questions this give some of them.
Leo Romero
Jan 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
the best introduction to thinking - and source of subsequent thought - by a funny, humble, kind, compassionate, true, philosopher of the people.

Benj Abellera & I miss you, Irving Copi, and shall always be grateful for the edifying elating laughter we shared in Hawaii, leid by you.
Paul
Jan 12, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: logic
Solid intorduction to logic text.
Goodreads Librari...: Merge books please 3 18 Nov 08, 2015 04:05AM

• How to Prove It: A Structured Approach
  • On Liberty
  • New Essays on Human Understanding
  • How to Read a Book: The Classic Guide to Intelligent Reading
  • Utilitarianism
  • Hard Choices
  • The South China Sea Dispute: Philippine Sovereign Rights and Jurisdiction in the West Philippine Sea
  • Meditations on First Philosophy
  • Mathematica DeMYSTiFied
  • Putin's Master Plan: To Destroy Europe, Divide Nato, and Restore Russian Power and Global Influence
  • The Art of Always Being Right
  • The Birth of Tragedy
  • Naive Set Theory
  • Confessions of an Economic Hit Man
  • Master Math: Solving Word Problems
  • İnsan Ne İle Yaşar?
  • Ten Philosophical Mistakes
  • The Sickness Unto Death: A Christian Psychological Exposition for Upbuilding and Awakening

News & Interviews