Start by marking “Gotham City Sirens, Volume 1: Union” as Want to Read:
Gotham City Sirens, Volume 1: Union

Gotham City Sirens, Volume 1: Union (Gotham City Sirens #1-7)

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  2,274 Ratings  ·  123 Reviews
This graphic novel features the bad girls of Gotham City! Catwoman, Poison Ivy and Harley Quinn are tired of playing by other people's rules regardless of which side of the law they're on. These tough ladies have a new agenda that's all their own, and they'll use any means necessary to pursue it. But can they get along and work as a team? And who will get hurt along the wa ...more
Published April 20th 2010 by DC Comics (first published September 30th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Gotham City Sirens, Volume 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gotham City Sirens, Volume 1

Jeff
Oct 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comix
Batman/Bruce Wayne is still pushing up the daisies, so it’s Ladies Night Out in Gotham City. It’s a team up of Catwoman, Poison Ivy and Harley Quinn – their agenda: watch each other’s backs.

Catwoman is still recovering from having her heart removed by Hush (and returned by the real Batman) and Poison Ivy and Harley have taken over an addled Riddler’s pad. Poison Ivy has that slinky, planty mind-control thing going on, hence Riddler’s predicament. Ivy’s powers have grown and expanded – she can co
Sam Quixote
Dec 04, 2017 rated it it was ok
Paul Dini is undoubtedly one of the all-time great Batman writers. He gave us the Batman Animated Series, the first (and best) two Arkham games, a bunch of awesome Batman comics and, probably his most significant and lasting contribution to the world of Batman, co-created Harley Quinn. That said, he’s not infallible and has written his share of forgettable drek which unfortunately includes this first volume of Gotham City Sirens.

There’s disappointingly little in the way of story. Things get off
Liam
May 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was such a fantastic volume and I'm so excited to read the rest of the series!

Harley, Ivy and Catwoman make the best girl gang ever and it was great to see them working as a team! It was also cool to see them have a more human side to them; like when they were all trying to convince Harley to get over the Joker. The group worked really well together and it was just super great to read!

The twists and turns within the story kept me wanting to carry on reading and I loved how the story progres
Sesana
Nov 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, superhumans
So Catwoman, Poison Ivy, and Harley Quinn move in together and try not to break too many laws. It's campy in a very fun way, it has nice art, and it's written by Paul Dini. What's not to like? Ok, so there's a bit too many fan service panels for me. But it is Paul Dini, and it's Harley, so I'm going to love it. And campy fun it may be, but the characterization is good anyways. Maybe not worth a buy unless you're a big fan of one (Harley!) or all three of these ladies.
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
Catwoman, Poison Ivy and Harley Quinn decided to work together, which, well, not work too smoothly, not when the first thing Ivy and Harley decided to do is to tie Catwoman up and try to make her tell them who Batman really is. But what is a little tying up between friends? They are soon best buddies again, and out to fight bad men and rescue Harley that gets kidnapped by Bruce Wayne?

I like this series, Ivy, Catwoman and Harley are hilarious together. And it’s fun to see the three main women of
Cupcakes & Machetes (Sweet or brutal, you never know which)
DC Comic's three best ladies (in my opinion) move in together and of course, crazy antics ensue.
There are clearly some things I missed jumping into this one however, it was nothing that the comic didn't review so you knew what was going on.

Catwoman will always be my favorite.

The artwork was spot on.
Chenda
Aug 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
actual rating: 3.5 stars

"You're about to learn in no uncertain terms what it means to mess with me and my girls!"

I'm kind of in a reading slump right now, so I decided to pick this up. I've read some comics but never really in the right order (I know, what's wrong with me?!). This did make things difficult for me, because I was often really confused!

I love reading about female friendships! I'm so glad there's never any tension between the girls. Well except sexual tension between Harley and Ivy
Cory
Dec 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: People Who're Sick of Angsty Batman and want more Harley Quinn/Catwoman/Poison Ivy

This is one of the more lighthearted Batman comics. In all actuality, I prefer it to Hush or anything by Jeph Loeb. It combines humor (the thing I love about the Batman villain line up) with violence. And that's what I think most Batman comics are missing -- something to balance out serious!Batman.

And I have to say, I'm liking this team up between Selina, Harley, and Poison Ivy. Their characterization isn't half bad and they're actually portrayed in a pseudo-positive light without the self-righ
Twinkle
Feb 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Ryan Stewart
Feb 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a lot of fun. Paul Dini just gets The Batverse and nobody writes Harley better than the guy who created her. There is a lot to like here.
Chris
Jan 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bat-family, dc
I wasn't sure what I was going to think about this series when I started it. I thought that there was a fair chance that this was just going to be silly nonsense. The more I read, the more I started to enjoy this book. The stories are though not very complex, very enjoyable. The relationship between the 3 sirens is interesting. As you can imagine, they often don't see eye to eye on various issues.

The events here follow on from Heart of Hush and Final Crisis. They also tie into the Streets of Go
April
Call me crazy, but Gotham City Sirens is and forever will be my favourite comic series of all time, despite its flaws.
Why, you say? The premise: Catwoman, Harley Quinn and Poison Ivy move in together and kick ass. Nuff said.
Seriously though, the illustrations are beautiful and the plot is just a whole lot of fun. You'll get more out of it especially if you have a real interest in their characters and chemistry, too. It's just what I've always wanted to see in a series: my favourite ladies comi
Jenna
Mar 27, 2015 rated it liked it
This was an entertaining volume, but it could have been much better had the proportions been more...accurate. Really, how do they fight like that? And some of those fighting poses that Harley does while being shot at...just look rather painful. But the drawing style otherwise wasn't horrible and I liked the coloring.

The entire "girl power" theme that this book is supposed to be headlining wasn't really there much, but maybe it's because it is the first volume. Might read more, might not.

Is it
Sean
Feb 25, 2013 rated it liked it
This is something that more comics should be...fun. While the themes were light-hearted for the most part this book was still serious. I really enjoyed hearing Ivy's and Harley's voice as it hasn't happened much in the past. I was not up to speed on the Hush and "replacement" Bruce Wayne stuff so that left me scratching my head some. The by newcomer Guillem March was very good. I didn't always enjoy his portrayal of the ladies out of costume but overall a solid book. Good stuff!
Gemma Thomson
Mar 19, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People like me, who are mainly intrigued by the Sirens themselves.
Nothing stellar, but it makes for an entertaining romp, and - unlike some graphic novels which I've tried to read - this collection is quite approachable to someone who hasn't followed the series. The artwork is gorgeous, though it falls firmly into the uneasy camp of "these women look amazing, but impractical in every way", not least in the other residents of Gotham, like the Riddler's unsuspecting ward mid-way through. Still, it is a mainstream American comic.
Cassie
Feb 22, 2015 rated it did not like it
Friggin' terrible. Lame storytelling and ridiculously oversexualized art. Every page managed to contort an impossibly curvaceous woman into impossibly twisty cheesecake poses. I only kind of liked Poison Ivy, Catwoman was mostly declawed, and Harley Quinn came off as an idiot most of the time. Plus one whole issue is wasted on The Riddler doing PI work.
Rejena
Oct 28, 2010 rated it liked it
This started out slow and ended on a good note. Love the three ladies involved. I was worried we wouldn't get much characterization with them, but I was pleasantly surprised. I'd like to see more about Selina and whats making her tick now. But overall a good read.
Gabriella
Mar 04, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
This was a lot of fun! The bad girls of Gotham team up and hang out. I especially enjoyed when Jenny Duffy, aka the Carpenter, shows up to help with a few reno projects. I'm hoping the next collection features even more of the women and their activities and less of their enemies.
David
Apr 12, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ah, it's okay. This is a collection of the first seven issues of the series, but it reads more like a single issue. We get the set-up for the series as Ivy, Harley and Selina become roommates. I've already started the second volume and it's much better than this one.
Kayla
May 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
That was probably the most fun I've had reading a comic book in my whole life. I loved all of the characters! Riddler, Poison Ivy, Catwoman and most importantly Harley Quinn! I will definitely be picking up the rest of the series!
Sara
Mar 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is the second time I've read Gotham City Sirens; a collection of comics about Poison Ivy, Harley Quinn and Catwoman moving in together, all trying to be superheroes and failing for the most part. The writing is great, the art isn't ideal. They're an entertaining read--although the library is apparently missing the second book (there should be 4), but it doesn't seem like you miss too much of the story without it.
Diego López Ocón
Jun 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
So I have known about The Gotham City Sirens for a long time, it didn't got my attention in any way, but now that was referenced in Injustice 2 and may there even be a movie about this I have to give it a chance.

Don't judge a book by it's cover, what a great story. Now I really want to continue this series. I mean, is Paul Dini right? He couldn't make this better.
Caity
Apr 22, 2017 rated it liked it
These books pick up after another series though they do fill you in on what happened to lead up to this series. I do really like the characters but overall I didn't particularly care for the story or the artwork.
Marthese Formosa
Jan 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
Overall really like this volume. I read it unexpectedly and it's less sexualized than I expected and more funny.
Issue one starts with catwoman fighting Boneblaster, another villain that says too much, and subsequently being saved by Ivy. There is drama even with the villains as Ivy is sharing apartment with Edward Nigma. Power in Gotham is relative as we’ll see.
Beautiful and colourful and soft art style, especially the flowers which I really liked and the coulouring of Ivy is perfect.
There wer
Beccy
Mar 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: to-read-owned
True Rating; 2.75 stars

Unfortunately this doesn't seem like it's for me, which I'm disappointed by because I wanted to get into more of the superheroes original comic series - but starting with this arc at least, I'm left a bit lost thinking I would have had a better understanding and appreciation of the story if I was more versed in Gotham history.

Also I did get distracted noticing how the women are all illustrated almost identically to this stylised haute couture physique, and to distinguish t
Paul Eckert
Sep 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
The premise of Gotham City Sirens is what pretty much every dude would want to see: three of the foxiest bad girls from Batman rooming together and wearing revealing attire at any given moment. Sounds like a recipe for disaster, but surprisingly, I think they pull it off.

Poison Ivy, Harley Quinn, and Catwoman are all in their own rut. Catwoman is barely alive after having her (literally) torn out heart put back in her body, Harley Quinn’s Joker is locked up in prison, and Poison Ivy needs a new
Wing Kee
Dec 16, 2016 rated it liked it
Fun and that's about it.

World: Not a bug fan of the art. March draws eyeballs and facial expressions very weirdly and some of the poses the female characters are placed in makes me cringe a little. Yes these characters are vixens and it's a part of their character, especially Ivy but yeah sometimes it's a bit much. The world building is fun cause it's fully based on character and putting these three together is just fun, the past and lore that gets thrown into the mix makes for a fun world for
Tamara✨
Tomas
Feb 15, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not bad at all
Kashila
Jun 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
3.5/5
No es hasta hace poco cuando he empezado a leer comics, y no solo las historietas de Garfield o alguna sacada de algún periódico. El motivo por el que comencé esta es porque me gustaban sus personajes principales, pero claro, solo a mi se me ocurre empezar así a lo loco y al principio andaba un poco perdida, la verdad. Pero indagando un poquitillo en google y avanzando en la lectura conseguí arreglar ese problema.
Así que tenemos a las tres súper villanas: Catwoman, Poison Ivy (o Hiedra Vene
  • Batgirl: Year One
  • Huntress: Crossbow at the Crossroads
  • Batman/Huntress: Cry for Blood
  • Batgirl, Vol. 1:  Silent Running
Paul Dini is an American television producer of animated cartoons. He is best known as a producer and writer for several Warner Bros./DC Comics series, including Star Wars: Ewoks, Tiny Toon Adventures, Batman: The Animated Series, Superman: The Animated Series, The New Batman/Superman Adventures, Batman Beyond and Duck Dodgers. He also developed and scripted Krypto the Superdog and contributed scr ...more
More about Paul Dini

Gotham City Sirens (1 - 10 of 32 books)
  • Gotham City Sirens, Volume 2: Songs of the Sirens