Start by marking “Christianish: What If We're Not Really Following Jesus at All?” as Want to Read:

3.84  ·  Rating details ·  224 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
Somewhere between cold faith and hot pursuit lies lukewarm spirituality. And in the median between the wide path and the narrow road we find the middle-ground of the spiritual walk. It's something not quite Christian. More like.Christianish.

It may feel like authentic faith. It may even look like the real deal. Yet it's often easy to settle for the souvenir t-shirt-the appe
Published August 1st 2009 by David C. Cook

To ask other readers questions about Christianish, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Christianish

Wyndy
Aug 16, 2009 rated it liked it
The premise is good, are we following what Jesus taught and walked or are we following what we think the Christian church teaches. As everyone knows those are not the same thing. Have we become so worried about what our church and fellow members think of us that we have lost sight of what Jesus and God think of us? The writing is very good. Mr. Steele uses examples from his own life to illustrate principles that Jesus taught and show how we follow and how we diverge from those teachings. He had ...more
Christy Lockstein
Jul 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing

Christianish by Mark Steele is a book guaranteed to unsettle readers' ideas of what it means to be a Christian. Steele, a stand up comic uses his skills well in this book. Several sections were so laugh out loud funny that I had to read them to my husband, others had me snorting and chuckling. He uses humor to bring readers in, and then compels further interest through his pointed look at how Christians are making Christ look bad because we want faith to be comfortable rather than real. Living a
Karen
Jan 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle
Followers of Christ are called Christians, so what are those that are going through the motions or putting on airs , attending church services out of duty called? "Christianish"
I found this book to make me think about why I attend church services. Is it for me to get to know my Savior, to please my family, or so the neighbors think I'm a better person than I am.
I liked the way in which Steele put everyday situations into reflecting on my way of thinking about my relationship to Christ. I would
Mark-robyn
Apr 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed this book. It was entertaining and convicting all at the same time. Mark is a good writer and has called us as believers to live at a more authentic place and making our message not about us. I really recommend this book - especially in a small group setting.
Matt
Aug 28, 2010 rated it did not like it
I honestly could not finish it. No where in the 1st 120 pages did I find anything other than the author on an Ego trip. I donated this book and I hope someone else reads it and it motivates them to do great things for mankind.
Jan
May 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Very interesting. Mark has a very engaging and funny style -- loved his stories -- and then how he related them to whether or not we are really following Jesus -- or just "acting Christianish...." Too often the latter, I'm afraid.
Margaret
May 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

From the Cover

It may feel like authentic faith. It may even look like the real deal. Yet it's often easy to settle for the souvenir t-shirt—the appearance of a transformed heart—instead of taking the actual trip through true life-change. We find ourselves settling for a personal faith that's been polluted by culture, and diluted by other people's take on spirituality.

Christianish tells the story of one man's journey to move from the i
Warren Benton
Sep 21, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: ebook
Rating 3.5
I thought this was going to be a fun quirky read with lots of pointing and laughing at things us Christians do. WRONG. Steele comes on hard and hardly lets up.
"When we come at the world with haughtiness, what exactly do we believe it is breeding?" "In short it is priming a generation to hate Christians and therefore be spiritually unprepared to receive the truth.""Life is observed therefore it is ministry"

Steele tells of his own Christian upbringing and his many failings as a christ f
Denise
Jan 04, 2014 rated it it was ok
I liked portions of this book and stuck it out until the end. Unfortunately, I don't feel like I could recommend it to anyone. The premise is good: following Christ takes more than words. It got lost in long childhood stories, generalizations about the modern church, and worries about too much grace. I believe if we truly understood the magnitude of grace we would respond in obedience. We need to learn about it more not be wary of it and try to do our Christian responsibility. My guess is the au ...more
Amy
Nov 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who follows Christ or thinks they do.
Recommended to Amy by: David C Cook
Of all the books I've ever recommended to my Christian friends, this one tops them all. I have never felt more strongly about the need for all Christ-followers (and those who believe they are) to read this book and then run quickly to their Bibles and prayer closets. It will cause some good soul-searching and prayerful consideration about any number of heart areas. This is good thing. This is a good thing for both the individual and the church. It is a critical thing, quite frankly. I could spen ...more
Jerry Blackerby
Aug 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Do you follow what Jesus taught, or do you follow the ways that man has compromised and are just Christianish? Mark Steele wrote a book that includes funny things he did but always shows how man has compromised to make most churches lukewarm as described in Revelation 3. He shows that going to church, carrying a Bible and doing good deeds is not what makes a person a Christian. He points out that when he finds himself slipping and becoming Christianish, he goes back to check just what Jesus said ...more
Thalia
Feb 27, 2015 rated it liked it
This is a great read if you are looking to evaluate where your walk with the Lord is headed. It is a way to delve into what the world sees about your Christian faith and whether you are making a solid statement for Christ or a driving influence that chases people away from the savior. This book makes you think about your message for the church contains. Thank you, Mark Steele, for your humor that makes this makes this manual enjoyable and eye-opening.
Emily  at Reaching While Rooted
Steele does an amazing job. Not just a pretty cover, Christianish is funny, anecdotal and at the root... PROFOUND. This book challenged me and made me truly consider the way I live and portray my Christian faith. This book makes the reader truly examine where they are on their faith walk, and cuts deep. This book is for anyone looking to improve their relationship with Christ, and the world. Bravo Steele!
Rob
As with most books of this genre, there were some solid sections that caused me to think and consider aspects of my walk with Christ. That said, I found much of the book a bit too focused on story telling (with the goal of setting up his point). The stories often helped establish the author's point, but the balance felt skewed.
Brooke
Jul 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Steele's chapters pulled me in with his anecdotes, then hit me with hard truths chapter after chapter. Even when I found the pattern, I was still sucked in.

I'm currently living a "Christianish" life, but am praying for the strength and wisdom to change.
Carl Wunsch
May 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Humorous, convicting and challenging. An excellent and enjoyable book. While there is nothing earth-shatteringly new here, it is a good reminder of how I should be living, and where I have been slowly slipping.
Melanie
May 19, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I had high hopes for this book, but after the author described a spanking session with his son that made his son so upset that he vomited, I realized I could find better advice about Christian living elsewhere.
Patricia
Dec 19, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: christian
Will review later.
bookbabe
May 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Excellent book. Very thought provoking.
Janet
Donnie Brown
Oct 24, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Caught Off Guard: Encounters with the Unexpected God
  • Why Trust Jesus?: An Honest Look at Doubts, Plans, Hurts, Desires, Gripes, Questions, and Pleasures
  • Jesus in the Present Tense: The I AM Statements of Christ
  • Standing Strong: How to Resist the Enemy of Your Soul
  • Godspeed: Making Christ's Mission Your Own
  • Songs in the Key of Solomon: In the Word and In the Mood
  • Hell Is Real (But I Hate to Admit It)
  • Good News for Those Trying Harder
  • God Built (Joseph) - Forged By God...In The Bad And Good Of Life (Bold Man Of God, #2)
  • The Jesus Experiment: What Happens When You Follow in His Footsteps?
  • The Juggling Act: Bringing Balance to Your Faith, Family, and Work
  • When God Breaks Your Heart: Choosing Hope in the Midst of Faith-Shattering Circumstances
  • Church Zero: Raising 1st Century Churches out of the Ashes of the 21st Century Church
  • Sifted: God's Scandalous Response to Satan's Outrageous Demand
  • Astonished: Recapturing the Wonder, Awe, and Mystery of Life with God
  • The Promises of God: Discovering the One Who Keeps His Word
  • Did the Resurrection Happen . . . Really?
  • Discover the Mystery of Faith: How Worship Shapes Believing
292023
Mark is the Founder, President, and Executive Creative of Steelehouse Productions. Mark is also a well-known author, speaker, comedian, and film writer/director. Mark graduated from Oral Roberts University in 1991 with a degree in Drama, Television, and Film Telecommunications. He then spent the next seven years as a writer and director at Impact Productions. In 1998, Mark launched Steelehouse Pro ...more
More about Mark Steele...

“After all, the Beatitudes don’t tend to look a lot like modern Christianity. We choose a political team. We select a denominational preference. We hitch our cart to a branch of philosophy. Anyone that disagrees is quickly and succinctly judged, and simultaneously disregarded as worthless. Big problem with that approach. We are supposed to be loving those who don’t agree with us to Jesus—and you can’t love those whom you deem worthless.” 3 likes
“But the truth is, we have done more damage to the world’s impression of Jesus by feigning inaccurate perfection than we could ever cause by allowing those who don’t follow Christ to see us wrestling our sins and flaws to the ground.” 3 likes