Start by marking “How a Second Grader Beats Wall Street: Golden Rules Any Investor Can Learn” as Want to Read:
How a Second Grader Beats Wall Street: Golden Rules Any Investor Can Learn

How a Second Grader Beats Wall Street: Golden Rules Any Investor Can Learn

Straightforward strategies from a successful young investor In How a Second Grader Beats Wall Street, you'll followthe story of Kevin Roth, an eight-year-old who was schooled insimple approaches to sound investing by his father, seasonedfinancial planner Allan Roth, and discover exactly how simple itcan be to become a successful investor. Page by page, you'll learnhow to ...more
Published March 9th 2009 by Wiley

To ask other readers questions about How a Second Grader Beats Wall Street, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How a Second Grader Beats Wall Street

Start your review of How a Second Grader Beats Wall Street: Golden Rules Any Investor Can Learn
Stamatios
In this book Roth explains how a long-term investor can practically own the entire market by buying a couple of total stock funds (US and International), plus a total bond fund to reduce risk, and beat almost any other fund manager on Wall Street in the long run. I am personally just getting started exploring the field of fund investing, and thankfully this book is easy enough for (yes, you guessed it) even a second-grader to understand.

Buy-and-hold strategies of passive index funds have become
Feb 16, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The advice is sound. I think this is a clever magazine article blown into a very dull book. The simple strategy is revealed early on and the rest is just explanation and elaboration. It's great advice for someone just starting out and interested in building a nest egg. Definitely not, as I had vaguely hoped, about teaching kids about investing.
Ingrid
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: to-read-2020
4.5 Stars. I can't explain how revolutionary this book was in my way of thinking about investing. I started becoming interested after reading Robert Kiyosakis "Rich Dad, Poor Dad", but as you well know, inspiration isn't enough to tackle your financial goals. You need a plan. After countless articles, podcasts, and webinars on the "right investment tactic" I stumbled upon this book during a Facebook group chat with other budding investors. Turns out investing is incredibly simple, and even more ...more
Grace
Jan 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is not actually designed for second graders. The main purpose is to demystify the complex terminology and filter out all the useless noise that so many of us hear surrounding investing.

It's not going to make you a whiz at finance, but it provides a good practical starting point for someone who is working on learning the ropes in investing.
Brendan Roche
The book needed more content, it could have been summarized in 20 pages. By 50 pages in, the second grader shtick got very stale and I found myself just skimming through most of the second half of the book, keying in on the advice. That being said, the advice is worth heeding, just did not need to be in novel form.
Peter
Jan 12, 2010 rated it liked it
Much more readable than the typical investment book, especially given that he's inserted conversations with his 9 year old son where he teaches him about investments. Leads to highly understandable lessons about investing. Could be a pretty decent starter book on investing, but does not at all cover the subject of personal finance.
Chris
May 12, 2019 rated it liked it
This book is part of my self-imposed homework assignment on finance and investments. It is an easier read and the author advocates for a simple three-fund portfolio. The author does provide some tweaks to the three fund portfolio if you are too top heavy in stocks and you do not have enough equity in real estate, or if you are in later stages of your investment timeline and choose to chase higher bond returns by looking at high performing CD rates. There was also a easy explanation for keeping s ...more
Marie
Jan 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: finances
"Having money makes us worry less about money. That alone can improve our lives."

"Money can give you the freedom to pursue your passions."

"Money can buy you time with your friends and family, which can provide a huge boost to your happiness."

"Don't always look at what the market is doing. It tells about what it is doing in the short term and you want to focus only on the long term."

"If people tell you that they know what the market is going to do , don't listen to them."

"People aren't out to mak
Tony Cavicchi
Oct 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business, read-2019
The title of the book sounds cheesy, but the point is that you can have a fantastic investment portfolio with three cheap index funds. Allan Roth has been a consistent advocate for years for low-cost index investing and this book takes the form of how he explained this investment philosophy to his 8 year old. Not super-original, not ground-breaking, but it's the best all-in-one investing book I've read so far. If you're only going to read one book, you couldn't do much better than this one.
Marcos Byttebier
Aug 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: financial
Some good nuggets on financial knowledge. Though heavily one-sided (the author advocates for 100% passive index funds). It has worked for the bull market in the past 10 years, but will it keep working in the future? How will they perform in the next crash? Who knows. There's quite some skepticism for this type of investing as it blindly drives prices higher, a pity that it is not touched upon in the book.
MADHUKAR DAYAL
Sep 27, 2019 rated it it was ok
Logic, arguments, and anecdotes shared are good but the conclusions drawn and recommendations are not, in my opinion.
Jonathan
Dec 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
2nd grader portfolio, static asset allocation portfolios, lazy portfolios, whatever you want to call it. Great fundamentals book on index investing
Osvaldo
Oct 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Overall I liked this book. It makes a good argument for passive investment. The only thing I didn't like is that the author uses concepts that are not clear for the layman and are not defined anywhere in the book. If lack of space was the problem, then the author could have scratched the last chapters, which were about debt rearranging tips and repetition of previously explained concepts, and explained the core concepts better.

Luis Lora
Jun 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The author explains some concepts that are complex like he did to his second grader son and at the end of every chapter he summarizes the important subjects. Great book all around.
Cindy
Aug 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Down to earth book about investing.
Gordon Howard
Apr 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Clever premise, with some good advice to just index investments.
Caleb
Jun 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Simple math. Keep your expenses low and accept the market average return. You’re probably not going to beat it and you’ll more than likely lose if you try. Oh, and keep your expenses low.
Yulian Bodescu
Mar 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Very entertaining and instructive read!
Amelia Wasserman
Feb 22, 2017 rated it liked it
The first 100 pages were really informative but then it got repetitive. Still think this is a must read for anyone with a retirement account.
Colleen
Feb 16, 2011 rated it it was ok
Apparently my parents did as good a job as the parents of Kevin, the titular second grader, because I got about half-way through thinking 'what a breeze' before realizing there was nothing new to be had here, unless I was deeply interested in explanations of why complicated investment tools which I've never heard of and do not want to buy are a bad investment... (spoiler: I was not deeply, nor shallowly, interested.)

On the other hand it did reinforce in an intellectual way the reasons behind the
Terry Koressel
May 24, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
How A Second Grader Beat Wall Street is the pinnacle in terms of investor simplicity, but don't let it's third-grade arithmetic formula fool you. Mr. Roth offers very sound advice for those who have no interest in spending time studying individual companies or the various markets. Allan Roth details his theories on simple, safe investing with color and humor. Well done. To reiterate, this book presents serious advice and a serious plan. The title runs the risk of turning away those who want to r ...more
Joe
Mar 17, 2009 rated it liked it
I believe and agree with what he teaches 100%. Great advice. However, I think it was a little poorly written, and since I don't have a lot of money to invest, it seemed a little irrelevant to me. But I like what he had to say. If you have money to invest, definitely read this book.
David Bruns
Aug 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Sometimes the best ideas are the easiest. Roth offers a simple how-to of investing that is so easy that even a second-grader can do it.

Should be required reading for any person before they start investing.
Cathy
Jan 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Enjoyable and easy to understand advice about investing to build a bigger nest egg.
Marisa Pedro
May 18, 2013 rated it liked it
Really good advice for how to invest your money in a relatively safe way that will earn you more income that just leaving the money in a simple savings account (which is what I had been doing).
Suzanne
Jun 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reference
The advice is simple, but the book goes on and on proving it. I'm sold, though!
Seema
May 12, 2014 rated it liked it
A very cheesy theme (that is often overdone), but very helpful tips for someone like me who is relatively new to investing.
Diane

• The Great Depression: A Diary
  • Common Sense on Mutual Funds: New Imperatives for the Intelligent Investor
  • All about Asset Allocation
  • If You Can: How Millennials Can Get Rich Slowly
  • The Bogleheads' Guide to the Three-Fund Portfolio: How a Simple Portfolio of Three Total Market Index Funds Outperforms Most Investors with Less Risk
  • The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing
  • Devil Take the Hindmost: A History of Financial Speculation
  • The Millionaire Next Door: The Surprising Secrets of America's Wealthy
  • The Simple Path to Wealth: Your road map to financial independence and a rich, free life
  • Playing with FIRE (Financial Independence Retire Early): How Far Would You Go for Financial Freedom?
  • Your Money or Your Life
  • A Random Walk Down Wall Street: The Time-Tested Strategy for Successful Investing
  • The White Coat Investor: A Doctor's Guide To Personal Finance And Investing
  • The Little Book of Common Sense Investing: The Only Way to Guarantee Your Fair Share of Stock Market Returns
  • Frommer's Madrid Day by Day