Start by marking “The Decisive Moment: Photography of Henri Cartier-Bresson” as Want to Read:
The Decisive Moment: Photography of Henri Cartier-Bresson

The Decisive Moment: Photography of Henri Cartier-Bresson

Cartier-Bresson’s concept of the “decisive moment” ― a split second that reveals the larger truth of a situation ― shaped modern street photography and set the stage for hundreds of photojournalists to bring the world into living rooms through magazines.
Published 1952 by Simon and Schuster

To ask other readers questions about The Decisive Moment, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Decisive Moment

Start your review of The Decisive Moment: Photography of Henri Cartier-Bresson
lavinia
To say that it's incredible that this book got printed again would be an understatement. Steidl, as with all the books that they print, did an amazing job with Cartier-Bresson's The Decisive Moment. I ordered the book from Germany a few months ago, just after it was reprinted, and it arrived in California in just 3 days, without me specifying some expedite shipping.

I went through the photographs over and over again and I couldn't be more grateful for the addition of the booklet by Clément
Pat Loughery
Henri Cartier-Bresson was one of the great photographers of all time, and this is his signature book. Whether you've seen all of these images before, or you're discovering them for the first time, there is genius here. In the words, and especially in the images.

There appears to be a new republication of this book coming in the fall - specifically one with a large size and without prints across the bind, which HCB notoriously hated. You may want to do as I do - check this one out from the library
Carlos Miguel
Apr 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: photography
The title of the book is perfect. Cartier is one of he big masters of photography. If you are a professional or an amateur photographer I think you will find this book very inspirational because he talks about taking the photo at the right time, the camera and technicalities are extra but not the most important part in photography which is your eye and the timing, the perfect timing.
Manuel
Jun 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: valokuva
From Cartier-Bresson I have learned to prime the action and the subject over the technique and composition. This, for me, is a difficult lesson to apply as I feel rather unnatural to take portraits or even street photography showcasing action.

An area to explore.
StevenF
Henri Cartier-Bresson and W. Eugene Smith are the greatest Photographers for me. Fuckin get this book and live in it . Meaning - Truth and Beauty will shake and hold you and remind you what it means to be alive here.
Chung Nguyễn
Nov 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The legendary book. Love all the work by HCB. The book is well finished with thick and very nice texture paper. And it’s huge!
Wesley V
Aug 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Most comprehensive in so few words. A must read for any photo enthusiast.
Aly
Dec 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Such beautiful work by the master.
Courtland Stone
Apr 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art, photography
Henri Cartier-Bresson has a climacteric ability of framing the constant rearrangement of life to capture the moments of poetry.
Lavinia Petrache

Tim
May 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Inspiring. And so he did. Inspire, that is. Several generations of photographers. It's so sad that there has been this attempt by postmodern theorists to lump his work into the Modernist canon to be de-constructed and debunked. A great loss, but there are many photographers and photography lovers out there who can see through the bullshit, and will continue to revere this great maker of profound and sublime images.
Djayawarman Alamprabu
Jan 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: culture, photography
The same eye that make me fall in love with photography

If you have $ 3500 you can bought the first edition of this copy.
but if you don't have the money watch the video
on
cheers
Shubhadeep Roychowdhury
Oct 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The unbearable "light"-ness of photographing... Here comes the account form one of the masters of it of all times. A must read for book lovers...
Paula Bee
Dec 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: photography
No need a word. His photos are amazingly inspirational. Open any page to find his grip of decisive moments. Full of wisdom from a great photographer and wise human being.
Travis

• Richard Avedon Portraits
  • Twilight: Photographs by Gregory Crewdson
  • Uncommon Places: The Complete Works
  • William Eggleston's Guide
  • The Print (Ansel Adams Photography, #3)
  • The Complete Untitled Film Stills
  • Bluff City: The Secret Life of Photographer Ernest Withers
  • Migrations
  • Cozy White Cottage: 100 Ways to Love the Feeling of Being Home
Henri Cartier-Bresson was a French photographer considered to be the father of modern photojournalism, an early adopter of 35 mm format, and the master of candid photography. He helped develop the "street photography" or "real life reportage" style that has influenced generations of photographers that followed.