Start by marking “Bad Habits (Wages of Sin #1)” as Want to Read:
Bad Habits (Wages of Sin #1)

Bad Habits

(Wages of Sin #1)

Jonah taught Cas a million ways to protect his body but not one to protect his heart.

Smart-mouthed hacker Caspian escaped an abusive home at 16. Now he’s one of the most sought-after black hat hackers in the world.

Jonah is a ruthless contract killer with only one weakness, the vibrant runaway he took in years ago: Caspian.

But Cas bailed when he turned 18 and Jonah ha
Published October 13th 2020

To ask other readers questions about Bad Habits, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bad Habits

Start your review of Bad Habits (Wages of Sin #1)
Jan
Oct 18, 2020 marked it as did-not-finish-dnf

The basics:

✔Cas was a teen homeless when he met Jonah.
✔Jonah was a hitman who took Cas in for two years.
✔Cas had the hots for Jonah who only saw Cas as a kid in need of protection.
✔Cas then decided to run away.

Five years later

Cass is a much sought after hacker and Jonah is still a killer.
They happen to meet again and fell in each other arms as if nothing had happened. Here is where the story started to go south.

Ramblings about what went wrong
(view spoiler)
Leslie
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️/5 Stars
🔥🔥🔥🔥/5 Heat Index

I knew going, into this book, that Neve Wilder and Onley James wrote hot books by themselves.

Therefore, I feared that this book would melt my iPad. Luckily, it didn't. But it was still hot...So hot.

Now I do like assassin books but am not so into hacking stories. I actually don't think I've read any but when I try to watch a movie or show with hacking, my eyes glaze over. 😂 So I was happy this wasn't heavy on the hacking. It was definitely a part of the pl
haletostilinski
I absolutely adored this collab by James and Wilder. In this new series, it'll follow a new couple in each book.

In this first one, we're introduced to the Wages of Sin world and to Caspian (Cas) and Jonah. Caspian ran from an abusive and neglectful home when he was 16 to NYC. After a few months he can no longer afford to live in a hostel, so he's out on the streets at 16 in NYC. That's never a good thing. When he's basically propositioned by a pimp, Cas is ready to take the offer when Jonah com
Gerbera_Reads
Oct 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
** 4.25 stars **

A story featuring assassins who still have honor, high stakes and painful justice. A story told by hurt man in love and an assassin who is lost and does not know it. But a bounty and trusted friends bring them together in a fast paced, suspense and passion filled chase in search of answers and revenge past due. This is second chance at love, forced circumstances and danger trope with likable MCs and a crew of diverse misfits who rule the criminal underbelly of the world.

I loved
W.
Oct 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Entertaining

Bad Habits is fast paced story , with a quirky and fantastical storyline, light on plot and details, heavy on descriptive sexy times and morally dubious heroes doing morally dubious things.

If you're looking for a angsty and dramatic story based on reality this isn't the book for you. BUT, if want to read tale that will take your mind of headlines news and every day life; that will make you laugh and shake your head in amusement , Bad Habits is the book you want to read.
Rita
Oct 16, 2020 rated it liked it

Wilder is a no questions asked one-click author for me but something was off about this collab with James. It's a good story and I don't blame anyone for giving it a higher rating, but for me it didn't sing.

There are little holes here and there throughout that had me often wondering how they were getting away with what they were doing without being caught. I was also skeptical of the sudden shift in Jonah's affections for Cas. So much so, it took me awhile to warm up to them as a couple
⭐️AMST⭐️
~ 4.5 Stars ~
Neve Wilder is definitely a auto-buy author for me and I read a few books by Onley James and really enjoyed them so I knew I’m in for a treat, and boy... what a treat it was! 😍
I loved everything about this book. Even though I’m not a big fan of suspense/thriller in MM books it really worked for me here.
Caspian and Jonah’s chemistry was mind blowing.
Loved it 🙃 highly recommended 🎉
Szidi ☼
Oct 12, 2020 rated it liked it
This wasn't for me. I couldn't get into the story, the characters weren't close to me and I just wanted to DNF it - but read it anyway.

I'm disappointed because I read and loved feom both authors, and I hoped for a different kind of book than it was.
Joyfully Jay
Oct 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: jay
A Joyfully Jay review.

Bad Habits kicks off a new series by Onley James and Neve Wilder. I have enjoyed books from both authors, but have only read more traditional contemporary stories from them. So I was really curious to both see how this writing partnership went, as well as to check out their foray into romantic suspense. And I will say, I totally loved this one. It is super sexy and romantic, but also with a nice suspense plot.

On the relationship end, things move fairly quickly onc
Sanaa
Oct 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
3.75ish stars.

This was a really different read for me. I'm not one to read a lot of books of hackers/assassins but I really liked the book.

Jonah had always been the fatal flaw in his code, the bug that froze the part of his brain separating logic from emotion.
ML
Sep 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Street smart assassin has a soft spot for genius hacker. If you like, a fast paced storyline that will will have you on the edge of your seat and some seriously sexy times. This is the book for you...

This action packed adventure will have you on the edge of your seat.
Jonah has always been Caspian’s protector. Caspian has always had a crush on Jonah. Their chemistry and heat factor is sky high!

Caspian gets into trouble and Jonah’s instincts go into protective mode. BUT Caspian wants to be seen
suebee ~Always Reading~
This was a really good start to what is sure to be a fun series! Neve Wilder has written some amazing books and even though I haven’t been too familiar with Onley James their writing styles combines do seamlessly that I would never know this was written by two authors.

I love when a character has unrequited feelings for another and in this book that was such a huge part of the story! Cas was so young when Jonah first took him in and I liked the glimpses into that past. The parts that went back i
JustJen "Miss Conduct"
Oct 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mm, lbr, ebook

4.5 stars - Jonah grew up on the streets until he was basically forced to become who he is today. He never really did anything else career-wise, and he has done pretty well for himself as an assassin. When he stumbles upon a young Cas looking like he’s heading down a similarly bad road, he steps in to help. Cas niggles his way right into Jonah’s life – one night on the couch turns into weeks, then months, etc.

A few years go by and Jonah still looked out for Cas, but Cas harbored a pretty big cr
Ana  Nimity
I'm a huge fan of action-adventure novels, and Onley James does them well. With characters whose hearts are - mostly - in the right places, perhaps a bit morally ambiguous and not totally on the right side of the law.

I'm also a huge fan of high-heat, explosive-chemistry romance, and Neve Wilder does those well. With smooth prose and erotic imagery creating sexual tension that sets off sparks.

Put the two together and you've got spontaneous combustion. Bad Habits (Wages of Sin, Book 1) brings to
Stellaria
4 stars!

I can't explain how excited I was when this book was released, especially when the last book by Neve Wilder I've read turned out to be one of my favorites.

"Bad habits" by Onley James and Neve Wilder is a story about Caspian - a very smart hacker who ran away from an abusive home when he was 16 years old and Jonah - a ruthless contract killer, who came to rescue Jonah when he was about to make a deal with a pimp. Their first encounter wasn't romantic, Jonah saw something in Caspian that n
Kirk
Oct 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m-romance
First off… that cover! It was a total match for how I visualised Cas; the hair, the ink, the LIPS! This is something that rarely happens, but it WAS Cas on the cover. Right, onto the story. I was intrigued and excited about this collaboration as I really enjoy both the authors works. I knew it’d be something special, but I was blown away by this story. It’s a whip-smart thrill ride from start to finish with a compelling plot and engaging and unique characters. At any given moment my heart was in ...more
Chelsey Nixon
Oct 14, 2020 rated it liked it
#SpoilerWarrior

I should start by saying that I don’t like cowrites. So I probably went into this already nervous about it and I’m not going to pretend like that doesn’t affect my rating.
If I think about this in big plot points, I liked it. Runaway teen meets assassin who takes him, teen loves assassin, assassin doesn’t reciprocate, teen runs away and becomes world renowned hacker, they come back to each other,
Fall in love, survive. Like, okay I’m here for that. But in reality, I don’t really car
Coline Peterson
Oct 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wow! I really enjoyed this action packed romance by Onley James and Neve Wilde it was so good! This book hit the ground running from the first page to the last, with one high energy situation to the next, adding a super steamy relationship between Cas and Jonah which is so explosive it's a wonder they didn't set the world on fire, while constantly bucking that fine line of what was right and wrong.
Lyndsay TC
Oct 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
This fast-paced and steamy romance novel kept me hooked from the crazy beginning to the hot ending. Caspian and Jonah had a lot to unpack between each other as they try to solve the mystery of who wants Caspian dead while fighting off other assassins. This book has a crazy cast of characters who all deserve as twisted happily ever after.
Kirsty
Oct 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is amazing!

I’ve never read any of Onley James’s previous releases but I will be rectifying that! I have loved all of Neve Wilder’s previous releases so I was super excited to read this book and it did not disappoint.

Bad boy assassin, Jonah, has a huge soft spot for Caspian, a hacker, who originally comes to live with him off the streets at age 16. Reunited, when Caspian is an adult, sparks fly and when he gets in a spot of trouble Jonah will do everything he can to protect him.

The sto
Bev
Not a bad start to a new series...Neve Wilder's work I mostly love, and Onley James is a fairly new author to me, having read only one of her stories which was OK.

This was a fairly steamy read
M
I expected to enjoy this book more than I did because I love Neve Wilder, but it fell a bit flat for me. The story is interesting enough but maybe I've read one too many variations on the theme, you know, the assasssin and the innocent or whatever, and now the bar is just too high. Probably my main gripe is that the chemistry between the two felt curiously lacking, I found myself not caring about their relationship at all. Anyway, will have to see how I feel about reading the sequel when it come ...more
Emily Souza
Oct 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I didn't know what to expect from this book - especially because action/adventure and third person POV are usually immediate red flags for me. But with Neve Wilder being a co-writer, I knew I was going to give it a chance. And I am so very glad that I did.

I love the way Jonah and Cas (and their posse of murderers-for-hire) pushed the boundaries of moral ambiguity. When you're going after inherently bad people, it makes it kind of okay, right? The story is fast-paced but still easy to follow alon
Jodie
Oct 13, 2020 marked it as skimmed
I was waiting for this one to release. I like Neve Wilder and I was intrigued by this blurb.

But this wasn’t really what I was looking for...

Skimmed.
Myriam
When I saw that these two authors had teamed up for a series I squealed. They are both good at writing that doesn't make me cringe, deliver a high steam factor and can definitely put an entertaining plot together. I can report that Bad Habits delivers on all fronts! *pops champagne corks*
The basis of this couldn't be more tailor made for me. I love anything involving action and hot guys with guns. And, whew, Jonah is absolutely a very hot guy with a big gun *winks*. The great thing is that for o
Xanthe
Oct 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is such an entertaining read! All of the characters involved are on the darker/shady side of life and not ashamed of that. I love the relationships that emerge between all of the characters involved, not just the MC's. There's a lot of snark, attitude and dark humour that kept me chuckling throughout.
Cas comes back into Jonah's life five years after walking out. He's established himself as one of the world's most sought after hackers but that has now come at a cost, possibly to his own lif
Emily Hernandez
Oct 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Caspian and Jonah's high-stakes adventure was as thrilling and unexpected as it was steamy. Though these men blurred the lines of morality, their fierce protection of those they considered family showed me how loyal and trustworthy they could be. From the very first pages, this story sucked me in, and the fast-paced, sometimes bloody, hazards they faced kept the momentum going all story long. Whether it was Jonah completing a hit, Cas pulling off a crazy hack, or both of them running from death, ...more
Reader
Brilliant!

Wow, such an engrossing read! So passionate and suspenseful I couldn’t put it down. I don’t even care for crime story reads and this one pulled me in completely bc I loved Loved LOVED the MCs Jonah and Cas. Jonah all protective, possessive, growly and sexy was just delicious. Cas young, infatuated, hero worshipping with intelligence and snark was beautiful. Together their chemistry was scorching.
I loved the third person POV, the dialogue and banter and did I mention the sex scenes wer
Matt & Brett
I’ve read a couple of Neve Wilder books and I really loved them, so I had high expectations for this book. Unfortunately, it didn’t really live up to my expectations, although it was still an enjoyable read overall.

The action is over the top in typical action movie fashion, which isn’t really my type of thing. Cas can seemingly hack anything at the drop of a hat. Some of these elements require a great deal of suspension of disbelief, and didn’t work for me in this case. I did really like the ov
Kaity B
Dec 02, 2020 rated it liked it
3-3.5 stars

Was okay nothing too special. I wish there was more action or more hacking. We only saw glimpses or were told about it.

Overall a good start to a series, I don't know if I will continue it.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Watch Me
  • The Happy List (Better With You, #1)
  • Liars (Licking Thicket, #2)
  • Hard Target (Wrecked: Guardians #1)
  • Down Low (Down Home #1)
  • Face Offs & Cheap Shots (CU Hockey #2)
  • Griff's Place (Havenwood #4)
  • Bat Boy (Easton U Pirates #1)
  • We Have Till Dawn
  • Try Me (Extracurricular Activities, #2)
  • Topping the Jock (Blue Harbor #1)
  • The Sex Coach
  • Precious
  • How to Save a Human (VRC: Vampire Related Crimes, #4)
  • Strawberry Kisses
  • Giorgio (Vigilance #1)
  • Taming Dante (Dante's Infernal #1)
  • Catch Me (Tattoos and Temptation, #4)
ONLEY JAMES is the pen name of YA author, Martina McAtee, who lives in Central Florida with her children, her pitbull, her weiner dog and an ever-growing collection of shady looking cats. She splits her time between writing YA LGBT paranormal romances, writing adult m/m romances and running her publishing company, 7 Sisters Publishing, which specializes in diverse fiction.

When not at her desk you

Wages of Sin (2 books)
  • Play Dirty (Wages of Sin #2)

News & Interviews

“You don’t have a dog.” As if that was the most unbelievable of the three statements. “I could have a dog. You’d have no idea shut up in here like a hermit all day.” Red snorted. “Dogs are for humans with souls. You could have a cat, maybe.” 0 likes
“Yeah, but the difference is I’m Gen Z, pal. We can’t wait to die. Can you say the same?” 0 likes