Start by marking “The Enduring Community: Embracing The Priority Of The Church” as Want to Read:
The Enduring Community: Embracing The Priority Of The Church

The Enduring Community: Embracing The Priority Of The Church

The Enduring Community: Embracing the Priority of the Church is a clarion call for the evangelical Church to return to Christ's foundational roots for it. Those roots are lodged in the Universal Church's and local church's Christ-imaging roles as a prophetic witness, a priestly witness, and a kingly witness. The authors, both PCA (Presbyterian Church in America) ordained p ...more
Papaerback

To ask other readers questions about The Enduring Community, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Enduring Community

Start your review of The Enduring Community: Embracing The Priority Of The Church
Sarah Duffy
Aug 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book has been sitting on my bookshelf for years, and I’m so sad I didn’t pick it up sooner. For someone who has city (and thus church) hopped for most of my 20s, I never fully took the time to understand what it means to 1) be a member of your local church and 2) prioritize your local church.

I’ve heard both Brian and Les speak on multiple occasions, and their writing is just as eloquent and impactful as their speaking. Highly highly recommend this book!
Abigail Miles
Mar 15, 2021 rated it really liked it
This book was a great look into the role of the church, as it should be and as it often winds up being, and what we instead should be striving towards as a community. It was a really honest look at where our failings are a lot of the time, as well as super concrete ways that we could all be doing better in this regard.
Jake Busch
Aug 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Would recommend for every believer. Especially those who are out of college and starting to attend a local church. It is essential, this book AND church membership.
Jason
Jun 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Enduring Community: Embracing the Priority of the Church is a compelling resource, particularly for young adults, or just people young in the Christian faith, to show the relevance and daily importance, of the church as a community bound together in love and service.

The authors, Habig and Newsom, Presbyterian ministers serving with the RUF campus ministry at the time this was written, obviously write out of experience in explaining and helping questioning students to come to grips with many
Jo
Nov 07, 2012 rated it liked it
This is a good book on Church and the basics of how it is to function. I picked it off the shelf about 10 days ago to get my brain back into what really matters - instead of the election. The church is Plan A - and Mr. Habig does a good job of dispelling the myths that often lead people away from church and what it truly is. It is a refutation to the idea that Church is a consumer based club and refocuses grumbles back to the worship of God.
Jon Anderson
May 09, 2013 rated it liked it
Read this book when it first came out and have read it for various reasons in subsequent years. This time, the elders of the church were reading it and discussing it as part of their monthly meeting. There are good reminders here for us about that nature of the church and good application points. The authors do a good job holding together the tension between the ideal of the church and what is actually happening in the church.
Andrew Canavan
Feb 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Really excellent introduction to ecclesiology and practical life in the church. This is a good book for a winsome and clear defense of Presbyterian church order and why it's a good thing. Christians often neglect to think through questions about why church is important and why we do what we do as members of the Church. The Enduring Community provokes consideration of those questions and points toward biblical answers. ...more
Camille Kendall
Feb 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
In a day when many folks dismiss the local church as irrelevant, this was such an encouraging reminder of how much Christ loves the church - even the church expressed in the particular local body where I serve and worship. Easily readable, very practical, convicting, and encouraging. Highly recommend.
Paul
Oct 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: theology
Fantastic primer on ecclesiology.
Joel
Dec 02, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Joel by: Tim Udouj
A good study on the church with some memorable illustrations. It is also a great small group study, especially for discussion and such.
Cameron Barham
Jan 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016-challenge
Excellent beginner's resource concerning the local church. ...more
Douglas Wilson
Great.
Jenny
Apr 26, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: rufinternlist
Simple, lucid discussion of our need for the local church utilizing scriptural and historical tools. Brian Habig was an RUF campus minister for a good while before planting a church.
Melanie
Aug 14, 2008 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Melanie by: RUF Internship
Shelves: nonfic
One of the best books for practical, yet biblically grounded thinking about what it means for Christians to take part in the life of the Church that I have read.
Thomas Kuhn
Jun 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Really helpful introduction to the Church. Helped me understand the scriptural basis for what I've grown up believing. Very helpful to me, but maybe less so if you aren't PCA. ...more
Kay
Tevin
Apr 24, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Firekeeper's Daughter
  • Garden City: Work, Rest, and the Art of Being Human.
  • Anatomy of the Soul: Surprising Connections Between Neuroscience and Spiritual Practices that Can Transform Your Life and Relationships
  • The Art of Rest: Faith to hit pause in a world that never stops
  • The Happy Ever After Playlist (The Friend Zone, #2)
  • Luke: Historian & Theologian
  • Basics for Believers
  • Blessed Monsters (Something Dark and Holy, #3)
  • The Whole Christ: Legalism, Antinomianism, and Gospel Assurance—Why the Marrow Controversy Still Matters
  • On Death (How to Find God)
  • The Next Always (Inn BoonsBoro Trilogy, #1)
  • Forward: A Memoir