Start by marking “Investing in Duplexes, Triplexes, and Quads: The Fastest and Safest Way to Real Estate Wealth” as Want to Read:

Amass more than $900,000 in properties in one year, without using any of your own money, or that of your investors.
Real estate investing can be an excellent way to build wealth. With its advantages of cash flow, appreciation, tax benefits, equity buildup and leveraging, real estate may be the only vehicle that can carry the average person to retirement wealth.
Real estate
Published May 1st 2006 by Kaplan Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Investing in Duplexes, Triplexes, and Quads, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Investing in Duplexes, Triplexes, and Quads

Start your review of Investing in Duplexes, Triplexes, and Quads: The Fastest and Safest Way to Real Estate Wealth
Justin
Dec 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
First the bad: Dubious assumptions about appreciation, this was written before the housing bubble. I would not invest based assuming the rates of appreciation that he does. That could be very dangerous indeed. Also his info and strategies for using the internet for real estate are outdated, but that is to be expected. The internet changes almost constantly, so it's nearly impossible to write something definitive on it.

The Good: Great info and strategies for real estate investing. The numbers
Hannah
Mar 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Super useful, but should be paired with 'Building Wealth One House at a Time' so you can get a more critical perspective of this investment strategy.
J Chad
Feb 26, 2019 rated it liked it
This book has some good concepts, but is filled with fluff, repetition, and examples that could easily be described in one paragraph but go on for three pages. The margins are huge, there are tables and charts that add absolutely nothing to the core messages, and many of the chapters (e.g., on managing tenants and properties) are useless.

The core of the book - using residential multi family properties - is good and that message is repeated throughout. The description of how to use leverage and
Kurt Phillips
Aug 25, 2019 rated it liked it
This book was written in 2005 so it is obviously dated and pre-bubble. That being said it offers some very good strategies for a beginner investor. In that respect, I would recommend reading it. However, he places an extremely high value on the Gross Rent Multiplier of a property. I metric that, while useful, is not a number I put much stock in for my area. When I plug in the GRM number for a property in my area it looks decent. When I run the 2% rule it looks marginal at best.
Also, he uses a
William Lewis
Jun 05, 2017 rated it liked it
It was good!! I would have rated it higher, but I didn't agree with some items and because I've read a few other REI books that cover much of the same info. With that said, I would still recommend the book! There was really good info in the first third of the book. Also, I believe that every book provides a slight tweet on past knowledge, so go ahead, read them all. The biggest negative is the time when it was written, 2006. We all know what happened next year, so keep that in mind when reading. ...more
Arie van Gemeren
Feb 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Pretty good, though a bit simplistic. Its a little hard to read as well because it was written in 2006 so the writing has the vibe and feel of pre-crash enthusiasm and seems to bank on appreciation of the underlying asset versus more stable financials. Also the loan figures seemed unrealistic - I at least havent seen 0-10% down deals often! But the basic idea is the same or similar.

That aside it was a good overview of basic strategies and approaches to building up in the asset class.
Ken Weiner
Dec 31, 2018 rated it liked it
Good for a beginner. As someone with some experience, it served as a reminder to pay attention to GRM (gross rent multipliers) as the primary way to value a 2-4 unit property. Buyers-brokers that will split their commission with the buyer is also something new to me that I will investigate further.
Joshua Duran
This author has the unique misfortune of predicting that home prices would continue the unprecedented rise seen in 2006. This book is dated and offers some strategies of questionable viability -- however I cannot say that I did not get anything out of it.
Christopher Williams
Jan 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a great way to start on the idea of small multi-family investing. It's very step-by-step, pausing every time it introduces a new concept to flesh it out. Well worth a read for any & all budding investors.
Jon
May 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
For any investing book I read, I expect that the author will cover the monetary and opportunity cost of the book and then some with what I gain from reading it. My expectations were met.
Leah Salvador-Stelzner
Read it, very informative and it could get a bit technical. If I want to have an easy read, it would be rich Dad poor Dad.
Erica
Aug 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: real-estate
This was a pretty good read, though I really would have liked to sit down in about 2009 with Mr. Loftis, who goes on at some length in this 2006 book - that's the height of the housing bubble, if you're unfamiliar - about how anyone who thinks there's going to be a crash (or even a time where houses don't go up in value) is basically an idiot.

So I take what he writes with a grain of salt, but there was still a lot of good information that does generally apply to the post-bubble economy, and
Devin
Nov 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
CJ Flynn
Nov 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: real-estate
This was a really good book on the topic of real estate investing.
It covers why 2-4 unit rentals are ideal because of tax & investment reasons. Since reading this book I have learned that in Iowa (where I live) 2 units is the max any more that & it's tax at the commercial rate!

In this book John T. Reed was mentioned that was the 1st time I had ever heard of Mr. Reed before. I now plan to buy the Reed John T. Reed's Complete Real Estate Investment Bundle.
Greg
Jan 19, 2016 rated it it was ok
Unrealistic lending expectations post 2008 crash
Jarrid Gable
Jan 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Incredibly informational book. If you are interested in multi family properties, this is the book for you!!!
Seth
Sep 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Great book that makes the case for multi-family homes, just a little too optimistic for my taste. It can't just be all gravy.
Tyler
Dec 20, 2017
Crystal
Sep 23, 2009
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• The Book on Rental Property Investing: How to Create Wealth and Passive Income Through Smart Buy & Hold Real Estate Investing
  • The Book on Estimating Rehab Costs, Revised Edition: The Investor's Guide to Defining Your Renovation Plan, Building Your Budget, and Knowing Exactly How Much It All Costs
  • The Millionaire Real Estate Investor
  • The Book on Investing In Real Estate with No (and Low) Money Down: Real Life Strategies for Investing in Real Estate Using Other People's Money
  • The ABC's of Real Estate Investing: The Secrets of Finding Hidden Profits Most Investors Miss
  • Landlording on Autopilot: A Simple, No-Brainer System for Higher Profits and Fewer Headaches
  • Building Wealth One House at a Time: Making it Big on Little Deals
  • The Advanced Guide to Real Estate Investing: How to Identify the Hottest Markets and Secure the Best Deals
  • Rich Dad's Cashflow Quadrant: Rich Dad's Guide to Financial Freedom
  • Multi-Family Millions: How to Flip and Reposition Small Apartment Buildings for Maximum Profit in Minimum Time
  • Think and Grow Rich
  • The Book on Tax Strategies for the Savvy Real Estate Investor: Powerful Techniques Anyone Can Use to Deduct More, Invest Smarter, and Pay Far Less to the Irs!
  • What Every Real Estate Investor Needs to Know About Cash Flow... And 36 Other Key Financial Measures, Updated Edition
  • Finding and Funding Great Deals: Revised Edition: The Hands-On Guide to Acquiring Real Estate in Any Market
  • Tax-Free Wealth: How to Build Massive Wealth by Permanently Lowering Your Taxes
  • Never Split the Difference
  • Follow the Blue Blazes: A Guide To Hiking Ohio's Buckeye Trail
  • The Book on Managing Rental Properties: A Proven System for Finding, Screening, and Managing Tenants With Fewer Headaches and Maximum Profit

News & Interviews